Scoop: CBS' Under the Dome Summer Series Adds Actors from Glee, Nashville

Under the Dome casting newsCBS’ Under the Dome summer series continues to round out its cast, this time populating the entrapped town’s radio station.

RELATED | CBS Summer Schedule: Under the Dome Drama, a Bigger Brother and Unforgettable Season 2

Based on Stephen King’s 2009 novel, the 13-episode drama takes place in a New England community that inexplicably finds itself trapped beneath a massive, transparent barrier — a situation that soon turns to chaos.

New to the cast are Jolene Purdy (Gigantic, Glee) as Dodee, a brilliant, eccentric engineer at the local radio station who will draw on her unique skills in an effort to make contact with the world outside the dome. Nicholas Strong (aka Nashville‘s JT) meanwhile will play Phil, a popular radio DJ and indie rock fanatic who is described as “a charismatic figure with a dark secret.”

Previously cast for Dome were Life Unexpected‘s Britt Robertson (as waitress/nurse Angie), CSI: NY‘s Natalie Martinez (playing Deputy Sheriff Linda) and Supernatural‘s Colin Ford (as Joe, a lad whose parents are separated by their town’s… domeification).

Comments (21)

• wow they just keep f#king this up more and more.

Comment by ollie – January 28, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The book was a-fkg-mazing. I hope I don’t end up in total agreement with Ollie. They have a major job trying to make this series hold a light to the book.

Comment by Tina Perez – January 29, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really care too much about this but I was curious who the Glee actor was going on this show, and I looked and this Jolene Purdy was in 1 episode of Glee and I don’t even remember her. A little misleading, but it got my attention, so I guess that’s something.

Comment by Stacie – January 28, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha yup. I was thinking naya was finally going to be in something else! Tricky tvline…

Comment by Zisforzombie – January 28, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Naya’s more focused on her music.

Comment by dude – January 29, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!! Don’t think 1 ep accounts for legit glee credentials

Comment by Megan S – January 29, 2013 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was in three episodes actually. Mind you, she didn’t have a big role as one of “The Skanks” it was a big mislead, she had a much bigger role in 10 Things I Hate About You.

Comment by dude – January 29, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • One of the skanks! Thank you. Now I remember exactly who she is.

Comment by Shay – January 29, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Simpsons……

Comment by Shaun – January 28, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stephen King started writing the book years before the Simpsons did it.

Comment by Jermey – January 30, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. These are both really horrible casting choices. I was looking forward to this show because Under the Dome is one of my favorite Stephen King books, but so far this seems horrible. Way to go, CBS.

Comment by dieselguy – January 29, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow. so not the characters from the book…

Comment by tigersmurfette – January 29, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmm… so no newspaper, its a radio station? Seems like they are striving to reach the younger crowd. I’m not sure I’m going to watch if it will ruin the book for me because I really loved the book.

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – January 29, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think a radio station is the best way to reach a younger crowd…maybe an iPod station.

Comment by dude – January 29, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no brilliant,eccentric engineer at the radio station? There is no popular dj at the radio station? Dodee gets killed almost at the beginning. What are they doing to this great book? Are they even doing the book? Why do they always screw UP Stephen KIng books when they make them into tv movies? UGH. I’m not even going to watch it if they are going to turn it into something totally different, I mean why even bother.

Comment by Bob Betke – January 29, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Chicago Gore and commented:
    Whoa, for anybody who has read numerous Stephen King novels… stumbling on this news caused my jaw to literally drop. Under the Dome was one of the most enjoyable King novels I’ve read and now that I hear CBS is turning it into a series this summer has got me super excited! I may actually give CBS another chance after they unjustly cancelled Jericho after only 1 season…

Comment by lennygore – January 29, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m actually reading it now (to prepare for the series), and the characters and locales seem much different from the book.

Dodee isn’t an engineer… and she isn’t brilliant. In the book, I mean. X)

Oh well, I’m still going to finish the book, and I’m still going to watch the show! :)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 29, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, the book is extremely detailed and its only natural that they would change some things for the sake of TV. I just hope they don’t F it up!

Comment by lennygore – January 30, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by lennygore – January 30, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow can’t u venture to another talent pool? why kids who we have seen already. so many more great actors who would also be a good fit….why is it the same sh*&t different day all the time

Comment by Margie – January 29, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post