SAG Awards Spread the Wealth: 30 Rock, Modern Family, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton Win

SAGwinners_2013_DWThe 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were held Sunday night at the Shrine Exposition Center in Los Angeles, and NBC’s 30 Rock was TV’s only multiple winner, as both Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin grabbed bronze statues.

ABC’s Modern Family kept the Peacock’s soon-to-end sitcom from running the table, however, by winning best comedy ensemble.

On the drama side, SAG spread the wealth, with a different series topping each category.

Dick Van Dyke, meanwhile, was the recipient of this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award — and needs to be cast as Phil Dunphy’s grandfather now..

RELATED | Producers Guild Awards Honor Homeland, Modern Family, J.J. Abrams, Colbert and Others

The complete list of TV winners (denoted in BOLD) is as follows:

DRAMA ENSEMBLE
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad

WINNERDownton Abbey
Homeland
Mad Men

DRAMA ACTRESS
WINNER — Claire Danes, Homeland
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story Asylum
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Danes described herself as a “brand-Spanxing new mom,” then in hailing her supportive castmates shared that Morena Baccarin often runs lines with her while cooking dinner for both of them. Danes said her agent had forewarned of the Homeland gig, “‘You’ll have a lot to do’ — which is the understament of my career!”

DRAMA ACTOR
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
WINNER — Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland
“It is so good to be bad,” Cranston cooed, grasping his first SAG Award ever. He went on to thank the “very courageous” AMC network, series boss Vince Gilligan for writing “the role of my career,” and his wife and family for “the role of my life.”

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES — MALE ACTOR
WINNER
Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Woody Harrelson, Game Change
Ed Harris, Game Change
Clive Owen, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES — FEMALE ACTOR
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
WINNER — Julianne Moore,  Game Change
Charlotte Rampling, Restless
Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals
Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias
Drawing an analogy to what makes for a basketball championship, Moore said, “I had the tremendous good fortune of being on a wonderful acting team” — then proceeded to name all 31 of her castmates on the HBO telepic!

COMEDY ENSEMBLE
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
WINNER Modern Family
Nurse Jackie
The Office
Speaking for the 11-person Modern Family ensemble, Jesse Tyler Ferguson gave props to the other nominees including “The Big Bang Ratings Theory.”

COMEDY ACTRESS
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
WINNER — Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland
Fey gave a shout-out to fellow nominee/real-life gal pal Amy Poehler, saying, “I’ve known you since you were pregnant with Lena Dunham.” With 30 Rock‘s hour-long series finale airing this Thursday at 8/7c, Fey urged people to “tape The Big Bang Theory, for once.”

COMEDY ACTOR
WINNER — Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Louis CK, Louie
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
“It’s sad, real sad,” Baldwin said of 30 Rock wrapping its run this Thursday. Now (theoretically) pounding the pavement looking for work, the actor then kissed up to his rep aka “the greatest agent in the history of show business.”

STUNT TEAM
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
WINNERGame of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

Which wins made you most excited? And which snub disappointed?

1. aaron says:

why aren’t they on Global TV Canada right now like they are supposed to be?

2. Ralph says:

SO sick of Alec Baldwin. ANYONE else.

3. Hannah says:

All these Alec Baldwin wins are getting ridiculous, come on, give him the one for the next year and don’t make the other nominees lose the time.

4. Mike says:

Happy for the 30 Rock wins especially Tina, Modern Family and BBT are so overrated its ridiculous. I am going to be so sad to say goodbye to 30 Rock, at least Community darts the week after.

• AJI says:

I totally agree with you. I love 30 Rock and am gonna miss it dearly. I also think that Modern Family is way overrated!

• Mike says:

Those shows are underrated not overrated, but Community is good too just not as good.

• Mike says:

You are not the same Mike, and you lost all credibility by calling MF and BBT underrated, and Community is the best show on television alongs with Parks a close second it is not debatable.

5. david says:

i dont think that modern family is overrated but i just don’t get the Alec Baldwin appeal. I laugh when i watch the big bang theory way more then 30 rock, but that’s just my opinion :)

6. Diane says:

Global Canada is awful. Don’t advertise the show if you aren’t planning to air it! Thanks for posting the winners and speech highlights so I didn’t miss out entirely here in Canada.

7. Laura says:

The SAG awards may officially be the worst produced show EVER. The writing is awful and I’m pretty sure they just aired a curse word. The announcer also doesn’t seem to know how to pronounce people’s names. The Downton Abbey win was great (I love her accent), but this is pretty amateur.

8. dude says:

Is anyone else sick of Modern Family cleaning up with awards? It was deserved the first two years but now it’s just the same formula every week. I’m sick of seeing the same situations and sight gags and the actors phone in the same performances every single week. It’s the safest show on television and it’s showered with praise and awards while risky, creative shows that actually take chances are shut out. When is Community or Happy Endings or Parks and Recreation going to get recognized? I’d even prefer it if The Big Bang Theory or Girls got a win over Modern Family.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

Those did not go the way I expected I at all. I was 3/8 on the TV side and 3/5 on the film side. I’ve got this mental block where I keep believing it’s impossible for Kevin Costner to win anything. And I know Louis C.K. was a long shot, but I still hoped beyond hope for it. Tina Fey’s win really surprised me, but I was happy for her. And my boyfriend Damian Lewis lost to Bryan Cranston…which…ugh…okay, I LOVE Breaking Bad, and Cranston is fantastic on it and probably completely deserving, but Damian Lewis…did they see Q&A??? Fingers crossed that the director of Q&A can win the DGA for that episode at least. I know that episode is nominated along with The Choice. Now for best ensemble…I’m going to freak out about this. A freak out is coming. That over-acted soap opera Downton Abbey should not have beaten any of the other contenders. That was beyond wrong. Every other show nominated in that category is doing amazing things with their characters and stretching their actors’ talents beyond what anyone would guess they were capable of. Downton Abbey is NOT better than Breaking Bad, Homeland, Mad Men, and Boardwalk Empire.
    On the film side, I couldn’t be more shocked that Argo beat Silver Linings Playbook and took best ensemble, but I’m so thrilled it won. Argo is definitely winning the Oscar despite the Ben Affleck directing snub. And I had Philip Seymour Hoffman for best supporting actor, but I had no emotional attachment to him winning, so I’m fine with Tommy Lee Jones taking it. Since Christoph Waltz wasn’t nominated, that was a category I didn’t care who won at all.

• barbara says:

Downton Abbey definitely deserved to win,best show on TV by far I’m tired of the gays thinking theyre a normal family , sick of the drugs and violence Its nice to watch something that has some type of actual acting . Thank You PBS for putting out great television .

• Brendan says:

Sick of the gays thinking they’re a normal family?! What the hell is that crap… Downton has all the same stuff. Thomas is gay and had an affair with a closeted ambassador, Mary screwed a guy to death during a one night stand and Vera committed suicide and framed her ex-husband. Downton has the same sex, drugs and violence that you complain about it’s just set in the past and they do it with a British accent. And spoiler alert, Thomas comes out in season three and kisses a guy on the show. :p Enjoy!

• Lyndsey says:

Did you really just “ugh” Bryan Cranston’s win in the same sentence where you claim to “LOVE Breaking Bad”?! Did you watch the first half of the season that aired last summer?! Cranston outshone ever other actor on TV this past year, easily!!!

10. Betty says:

Crappy tv winners (save for Queen Danes). SAG voters need to get with the times, and stop voting for the same people every year.

11. I have no issue with how this played out , even if I am not crazy about 30 Rock , at least this is the last season Baldwin and Tina can win for those roles ,

12. arial2 says:

I’m surprised, but glad Downton Abbey won. Expected Homeland, but it’s really more about action than about great dialogue. I think DA deserved it’s win.

13. cjeffery7 says:

DOWNTON!! i loved how surprised they were (as was i), and the rag-tag quintet that was there to accept. and of course mrs. hughes being the one to speak on everyone’s behalf.
    ALSO – tina fey looked so surprised. i’m glad she got one last nod.

14. Astrid says:

YAY DOWNTON!!!

15. Allyson says:

Did anyone see Giuliana Rancic on E network for red carpet interviews? Some of the most awkward, most cringeworthy moments ever. She made Bradley Cooper looking so uncomfortable making him wondering when the interview would end, having Neil Patrick Harris tell her down girl (something below those lines) when she decided smelled him, and the worst one of all she gave the most awkward interview with Chris Colfer. She kept trying and trying to get Darrin Criss to reveal if there was a Glee party and if there actually was a party, the actual location. I wonder if something was wrong with her. Where was Ryan Seacrest?

• Templar says:

Please tell me english isn’t your first language.

• Allyson says:

First of all, the word English should be capitalized. Yes, I know I made some mistakes and it is ashame that there isn’t an edit button. The time I realize it, it was too late to change. If I could go back and fix the errors I would.

16. greysfan says:

I’m so happy Downton Abbey won best drama. I was shocked it beat Homeland but its a good shock. This has to be my favourite show on tv right now and they deserve all the praise.

17. Claire Danes is just going to win every award for as long Homeland is on, isn’t she? So, so well deserved! She’s AMAZING <3

18. AJ says:

Matt, thanks for the great list. I loved that you included the highlights from the winners speeches.

19. ghutch70 says:

I was not sure if that Jesse Tyler Ferguson line was a dig at the Big Bang Theory or just appreication… I took it as a dig! Not cool

20. GS says:

I am so tired of The Office and Modern Family winning everything. I stopped watching Awards shows cause the same shows and people are always nominated. Not to mention the SAG’s are the most narcissitic of them all. Don’t they get enough recognition?

• anon says:

The Office didn’t win anything last night, and it hasn’t won much over the last few years. Modern Family won one award last evening. I’d hardly say that either show is out there winning everything, though Modern Family did do well at the Emmys.

21. Whatever says:

Yay,Bryan Cranston it’s about time !
    Yay , Downton Abbey !

22. LP says:

Woohoo Downton won! Suck on that haters. HAHAHAHAHA!