Pilot Scoop: The CW Orders Apocalyptic Saga The Hundred, Alien Drama Oxygen and More

Get More: Pilots

logo-cw-300120106082443The CW placed three pilot orders late Friday, including the post-apocalyptic drama The Hundred and the alien-human romantic saga Oxygen.

The Hundred , written by Jason Rothenberg (Body Politic)  is set 97 years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. A spaceship housing the lone human survivors sends 100 juvenile delinquents back to Earth to investigate the possibility of re-colonizing the planet. The project is based on upcoming Alloy book series by Kass Morgan.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers — and Who’s In Them!

Oxygen, from Good Wife scribe Meredith Averill, chronicles an epic romance between a human girl and an alien boy when he and eight others of his kind (The Orion 9) are integrated into a suburban high school 10 years after they and hundreds of others landed on Earth and were immediately consigned to an internment camp where they’ve been imprisoned ever since. Life on Mars‘ Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg are on board as EPs.

Lastly, The CW has ordered Reign, a period drama that tells the previously unknown and untold story of Mary Queen of Scots’ rise to power when she arrives in France as a 15-year-old, betrothed to Prince Francis, and with her three best friends as ladies-in-waiting. The secret history of survival at French Court amidst fierce foes, dark forces, and a world of sexual intrigue. Laurie McCarthy (CSI: Miami) and Stephanie Sengupta (Outlaw) wrote the script.

Comments (55)

• Oxygen sounds like Roswell!

Comment by Vey – January 25, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought as well!

Comment by Candace – January 25, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same.That so sounds like a Roswell reboot.

Comment by SA – January 25, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well i miss Roswell, so im in

Comment by Lorena – January 25, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The romance angle is straight out of Roswell, but the setup makes it sound like it’ll be more political (along the lines of District 9), rather than mystery/mythology driven like Roswell was.

Comment by wordsmith – January 25, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It sounds like the series of books called The Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore.

Comment by James – January 25, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, it sounds more like Alien Nation.

Comment by Todd – January 25, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought too!!

Comment by Linda – January 28, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • think more along the lines of the old V show… with a romeo Juliet spin…

Comment by Clinton Bonds – July 31, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t see Reign doing well. I am interested though.

Comment by Esaul – January 25, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want it to do well. They don’t have a period piece on CW- and Mary Queen of Scotts is pretty dramatic all by herself. SPOILER It doesn’t end well.

Comment by Alice – January 25, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But not if it doing well means losing Hart of Dixie.

Comment by Alice – January 25, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, how long can this show last, I’ve always loved Mary, Queen of Scotts, but I do not want to see a teen drama about her relatively depressing life.

Comment by Drewer – January 26, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. The show would probably last 8+ seasons if if were Mary, Queen of Scots: The High School Years. “Oh if only Francis would ask me to the Prom!!”

Comment by Sarahthebaker – January 27, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I want it to do well too. I’ll definitely check it out.

Comment by Esaul – January 28, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • more future cancellations for cw lol.

Plus, is there even room on the schedule? They ordered like 5 pilots….then 90210, Nikita, Beauty or Carries should get canceled.

Comment by anil – January 25, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s a difference between ordering the pilot and ordering the show. Ordering in the pilot means they are interested and what to see what an episode would look like. Once they see the pilot they will decide if they want to make the show or pass on it.

Comment by madhatter360 – January 25, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oxygen will probably make it since it’s such a “CW show”, but the other two don’t stand a chance.

Comment by Jack – January 25, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to often get confused between Oxygen the TV show and Oxygen the network.

Comment by Adam – January 25, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, when I first read this, I was like why would Oxygen (the network) order a pilot about aliens, haha.

Comment by Drewer – January 26, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First one sounds horrible, second one sounds like Roswell, third one sounds like it could be good if it was on HBO or Showtime.

I guess the only new pilot on the cw I’m interested in is the VD spin off and that is only because of King Elijah (would not watch if it was just Klaus).

Comment by Danielle – January 25, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So not interested in these!
    They won’t cancel the Carrie Diaries as they want to ride the SATC train, but they will cancel HOD and 90210 to make room for these shows that will not do well and they will be cancelled mid season!

Comment by sarah – January 25, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign will have to be cast well.

Comment by TMW – January 25, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign sounds awesome but doesn’t sound like it fits with their normal fare. I would love to see it though. Still hoping for a Hart of Dixie renewal!

Comment by Ella – January 25, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping for a Hart of Dixie renewal too. It’s one of my favorites on The CW and it’s different from their usual fare. And not that I don’t enjoy the supernatural/action/fighting/drama stuff but HoD is a nice, cute change of pace.

Comment by Eliza – January 25, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROSWELL rip-off!

Comment by Dan – January 25, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Hundred sounds awesome,
    Oxygen Would be OK if they didn’t go to high school :/ we don’t want teen drama anymore CW

Comment by Toms1€ – January 25, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by nick1372 – January 25, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW is becoming the high school sic-fi and fantasy channel. And I’m ok with that.

Comment by Midori – January 25, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign,The Selection,The Originals are the pilots im interested in.Hundred,Oxygen,The military drama all sound bad.Im also looking foward to Amazon.

Comment by Brandy – January 25, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW has ordered the most interesting pilots this season they need to cancel 90210.

Comment by Mick – January 25, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hundred, Oxygen, and the Originals sound good. Not too sure about Reign though.

Comment by jon – January 25, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These pilots just get more and more confusing.

Comment by kavyn – January 25, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • darn was hoping to get a pilot order for ‘Wunderland’

Comment by charlies – January 25, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really hope we get ‘Amazon’

Comment by charlies – January 25, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Reign” doesn’t seem like a great fit for the CW, but if they must try this subject matter, they really ought to try to get closer to the truth. MQS was 5 years old when she (and all of her Scottish Maries; I bet they would all get new names for this show!) arrived at the French court.
    “Oxygen” sounds the best fit for the CW from this batch. (Yes, I still miss “Roswell”, too.)

Comment by katie_mead – January 25, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read the script & they do take liberties with history — though no moreso than The Tudors. Also, the 4 Mary’s of history are also muddy. Some historical scholars think they DID have different names. A “Marie/Mary” was known as a generic term for a lady-in-waiting.

The script does not suggest that Mary had only come to France as a teenager, just that she had been elsewhere in France (away from French Court) for a while. Given the dearth of primary sources concerning Mary’s te in France prior to her marriage to the Dauphin, it is not necessarily inaccurate so much as a re-imagining.

Comment by Well... – January 30, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what I don’t care if ‘Oxygen’ sounds similar to ‘Roswell’ because it was a great show that ended too soon IMO and was very underrated. I’d love to see an alien show come back and I’m sure it won’t be exactly the same and I really don’t care if its about HS kids either. CW seems to at least be trying from what I’m seeing here at least a lot better than what they were any way…

Comment by S – January 25, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea we should be stoked that they are copying an awesome formula that was Roswell.. instead of just copying the same old procedural or sitcom cliche.

Comment by Jooshua – January 25, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oxygen sounds a lot like Roswell, which isn’t a bad thing, but this sounds darker.
    The Hundred could be great but I’m not really sure what to expect from it.
    I’m not sure if the CW could pull off a teenage period piece with Reign.

I’m still waiting to hear news about “Amazon”, the Wonder Woman pilot. I know they are doing an extensive casting search for Diana so it’ll take a while to find the perfect Wonder Woman.

Comment by ZmaX – January 25, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news about Amazon?

Comment by Gioggiolo – January 25, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m quite dissqpointed by cw’s pilot order. Thy go out to much extraordinary and than it comes ozt flat.
    And with The Originals and The Selection being almost a sure deal(cause they are working hard for it) i believe maybe Reign to get a chance as well. Oxygen and the hundred are to big of a deal for cw.

Comment by mare – January 25, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive been fighting for years for a reboot for Roswell, and if all we can have is Oxygen all go for that, as long as they do it good and find the right couple to revive the magic of an Alien/Human couple am in for that, and if they do it a little bit darker than it could attract all the attention of the Roswell fans as well….

Comment by Claudia – January 26, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like many of you, I immediately thought of Roswell when I read the logline for Oxygen. I’m totally on board. I miss the WB.. Roswell, Popular, Dawson’s Creek, Buffy, Gilmore Girls… man that was such a great time to be a teen!

Comment by Christian – January 26, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These sound interesting! I’d rather have these than the Originals pilot (anything to keep them on TVD).

Comment by Jess (@CrashandBurn9) – January 26, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d prefer the Originals pilot to take off to series. I haven’t seen it yet, but I feel like Julie Plec and the people she’s gathered for it – can make it work. And TVD should have a spin-off series, IMO. As for these 3 pilots, I have to say, I don’t think any sound that fantastic. But, we’ll see how they come together.

Comment by Ken Palminteri – January 26, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is
    AMAZON
    SHERWOOD
    ELECTROPOLIS- please CW pick up this one, want to see it so BADLY. pleeeeeeeeease

Comment by warrior – January 26, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering the same thing. What about AMAZON??? Lastiheard they were thinking of hiring this girl from Torchwood to play the lead. I really hope that show happens. They would be dumb to not even try it since Arrow and Smallville where such huge hits for them.

Comment by Louis – January 27, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *were

Comment by Louis – January 27, 2013 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally watch a lot on the CW..but none of these pilots..based on there brief synopsis sound interesting to me.

Comment by Jared – January 27, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, ‘Oxygen’ is basically “I Am Number Four” the series? and ‘The Hundred’ is basically ‘The 4400′ revamp?

Comment by Kaycee – January 27, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for sci-fi/fantasy but they seem unoriginal in premise but who knows…
    At first I laughed at the idea of Reign but now I’m intrigued- I love period drama, who doesn’t want to see hot guys and girls in costume… And sexual intrigue ?! Yes please. Plus it’s different from their usual fare, it could be really good if written well. Glad to see no gossip girl writers near it. Don’t know where those talentless goons sprout from.

Comment by Tanya – January 29, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Hundred sound good if a.) A good sci-fi writer work with it and b.) They don’t make it an excuse to have 100 under 20 Abercrombie and Fitch kids running around looking cute and falling in love with one another.

Oxygen is Roswell and single handedly showing the world that the CW is a shawdow of it’s former WB self. One Tree Hill = Dawson’s Creek, The Vampire Dairies = Buffy, 90210/Gossip Girl = pretty much every teen drama the WB had.

Now Reign I can get behind but the CW is going to have to not be afraid of spending money because period dramas can not be done cheaply if they are to be good.

Comment by San – February 25, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign sounds the best, it’s probably going to be a mix of gossip girls and marie antionette. Please get picked up!

Comment by Aisha – May 15, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post