Pilot Scoop: The CW Orders Apocalyptic Saga The Hundred, Alien Drama Oxygen and More

logo-cw-300120106082443The CW placed three pilot orders late Friday, including the post-apocalyptic drama The Hundred and the alien-human romantic saga Oxygen.

The Hundred , written by Jason Rothenberg (Body Politic)  is set 97 years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. A spaceship housing the lone human survivors sends 100 juvenile delinquents back to Earth to investigate the possibility of re-colonizing the planet. The project is based on upcoming Alloy book series by Kass Morgan.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers — and Who’s In Them!

Oxygen, from Good Wife scribe Meredith Averill, chronicles an epic romance between a human girl and an alien boy when he and eight others of his kind (The Orion 9) are integrated into a suburban high school 10 years after they and hundreds of others landed on Earth and were immediately consigned to an internment camp where they’ve been imprisoned ever since. Life on Mars‘ Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg are on board as EPs.

Lastly, The CW has ordered Reign, a period drama that tells the previously unknown and untold story of Mary Queen of Scots’ rise to power when she arrives in France as a 15-year-old, betrothed to Prince Francis, and with her three best friends as ladies-in-waiting. The secret history of survival at French Court amidst fierce foes, dark forces, and a world of sexual intrigue. Laurie McCarthy (CSI: Miami) and Stephanie Sengupta (Outlaw) wrote the script.

1. Vey says:

Oxygen sounds like Roswell!

2. Esaul says:

Don’t see Reign doing well. I am interested though.

3. anil says:

more future cancellations for cw lol.

Plus, is there even room on the schedule? They ordered like 5 pilots….then 90210, Nikita, Beauty or Carries should get canceled.

• madhatter360 says:

There’s a difference between ordering the pilot and ordering the show. Ordering in the pilot means they are interested and what to see what an episode would look like. Once they see the pilot they will decide if they want to make the show or pass on it.

4. Jack says:

Oxygen will probably make it since it’s such a “CW show”, but the other two don’t stand a chance.

5. Adam says:

I am going to often get confused between Oxygen the TV show and Oxygen the network.

6. Danielle says:

First one sounds horrible, second one sounds like Roswell, third one sounds like it could be good if it was on HBO or Showtime.

I guess the only new pilot on the cw I’m interested in is the VD spin off and that is only because of King Elijah (would not watch if it was just Klaus).

7. sarah says:

So not interested in these!
    They won’t cancel the Carrie Diaries as they want to ride the SATC train, but they will cancel HOD and 90210 to make room for these shows that will not do well and they will be cancelled mid season!

8. TMW says:

Reign will have to be cast well.

9. Ella says:

Reign sounds awesome but doesn’t sound like it fits with their normal fare. I would love to see it though. Still hoping for a Hart of Dixie renewal!

• Eliza says:

I’m hoping for a Hart of Dixie renewal too. It’s one of my favorites on The CW and it’s different from their usual fare. And not that I don’t enjoy the supernatural/action/fighting/drama stuff but HoD is a nice, cute change of pace.

10. Dan says:

ROSWELL rip-off!

11. Toms1€ says:

The Hundred sounds awesome,
    Oxygen Would be OK if they didn’t go to high school :/ we don’t want teen drama anymore CW

12. Midori says:

The CW is becoming the high school sic-fi and fantasy channel. And I’m ok with that.

13. Brandy says:

Reign,The Selection,The Originals are the pilots im interested in.Hundred,Oxygen,The military drama all sound bad.Im also looking foward to Amazon.

14. Mick says:

The CW has ordered the most interesting pilots this season they need to cancel 90210.

15. jon says:

Hundred, Oxygen, and the Originals sound good. Not too sure about Reign though.

16. kavyn says:

These pilots just get more and more confusing.

17. charlies says:

darn was hoping to get a pilot order for ‘Wunderland’

18. charlies says:

really hope we get ‘Amazon’

19. katie_mead says:

“Reign” doesn’t seem like a great fit for the CW, but if they must try this subject matter, they really ought to try to get closer to the truth. MQS was 5 years old when she (and all of her Scottish Maries; I bet they would all get new names for this show!) arrived at the French court.
    “Oxygen” sounds the best fit for the CW from this batch. (Yes, I still miss “Roswell”, too.)

• Well... says:

I’ve read the script & they do take liberties with history — though no moreso than The Tudors. Also, the 4 Mary’s of history are also muddy. Some historical scholars think they DID have different names. A “Marie/Mary” was known as a generic term for a lady-in-waiting.

The script does not suggest that Mary had only come to France as a teenager, just that she had been elsewhere in France (away from French Court) for a while. Given the dearth of primary sources concerning Mary’s te in France prior to her marriage to the Dauphin, it is not necessarily inaccurate so much as a re-imagining.

20. S says:

You know what I don’t care if ‘Oxygen’ sounds similar to ‘Roswell’ because it was a great show that ended too soon IMO and was very underrated. I’d love to see an alien show come back and I’m sure it won’t be exactly the same and I really don’t care if its about HS kids either. CW seems to at least be trying from what I’m seeing here at least a lot better than what they were any way…

21. Jooshua says:

Yea we should be stoked that they are copying an awesome formula that was Roswell.. instead of just copying the same old procedural or sitcom cliche.

22. ZmaX says:

Oxygen sounds a lot like Roswell, which isn’t a bad thing, but this sounds darker.
    The Hundred could be great but I’m not really sure what to expect from it.
    I’m not sure if the CW could pull off a teenage period piece with Reign.

I’m still waiting to hear news about “Amazon”, the Wonder Woman pilot. I know they are doing an extensive casting search for Diana so it’ll take a while to find the perfect Wonder Woman.

23. Gioggiolo says:

Any news about Amazon?

24. mare says:

I’m quite dissqpointed by cw’s pilot order. Thy go out to much extraordinary and than it comes ozt flat.
    And with The Originals and The Selection being almost a sure deal(cause they are working hard for it) i believe maybe Reign to get a chance as well. Oxygen and the hundred are to big of a deal for cw.

25. Claudia says:

Ive been fighting for years for a reboot for Roswell, and if all we can have is Oxygen all go for that, as long as they do it good and find the right couple to revive the magic of an Alien/Human couple am in for that, and if they do it a little bit darker than it could attract all the attention of the Roswell fans as well….

26. Christian says:

Like many of you, I immediately thought of Roswell when I read the logline for Oxygen. I’m totally on board. I miss the WB.. Roswell, Popular, Dawson’s Creek, Buffy, Gilmore Girls… man that was such a great time to be a teen!

27. These sound interesting! I’d rather have these than the Originals pilot (anything to keep them on TVD).

28. I’d prefer the Originals pilot to take off to series. I haven’t seen it yet, but I feel like Julie Plec and the people she’s gathered for it – can make it work. And TVD should have a spin-off series, IMO. As for these 3 pilots, I have to say, I don’t think any sound that fantastic. But, we’ll see how they come together.

29. warrior says:

Where is
    AMAZON
    SHERWOOD
    ELECTROPOLIS- please CW pick up this one, want to see it so BADLY. pleeeeeeeeease

30. Louis says:

I’m wondering the same thing. What about AMAZON??? Lastiheard they were thinking of hiring this girl from Torchwood to play the lead. I really hope that show happens. They would be dumb to not even try it since Arrow and Smallville where such huge hits for them.

31. Jared says:

I personally watch a lot on the CW..but none of these pilots..based on there brief synopsis sound interesting to me.

32. Kaycee says:

So, ‘Oxygen’ is basically “I Am Number Four” the series? and ‘The Hundred’ is basically ‘The 4400′ revamp?

33. Tanya says:

I’m all for sci-fi/fantasy but they seem unoriginal in premise but who knows…
    At first I laughed at the idea of Reign but now I’m intrigued- I love period drama, who doesn’t want to see hot guys and girls in costume… And sexual intrigue ?! Yes please. Plus it’s different from their usual fare, it could be really good if written well. Glad to see no gossip girl writers near it. Don’t know where those talentless goons sprout from.

34. San says:

The Hundred sound good if a.) A good sci-fi writer work with it and b.) They don’t make it an excuse to have 100 under 20 Abercrombie and Fitch kids running around looking cute and falling in love with one another.

Oxygen is Roswell and single handedly showing the world that the CW is a shawdow of it’s former WB self. One Tree Hill = Dawson’s Creek, The Vampire Dairies = Buffy, 90210/Gossip Girl = pretty much every teen drama the WB had.

Now Reign I can get behind but the CW is going to have to not be afraid of spending money because period dramas can not be done cheaply if they are to be good.

35. Aisha says:

Reign sounds the best, it’s probably going to be a mix of gossip girls and marie antionette. Please get picked up!