Was The Following Too Tidy? Did Idol Temper a Tantrum? Another Amputation?! And More TV Qs

IntersectionWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Nikita, Private Practice, American Idol and The Office!

1 | After Friday’s Nikita, we have to ask: Was there a memo sent out that every show this TV season must feature an amputation? Should the Broke Girls be extra-careful around the KitchenAid?

1.5 | Does anyone really think that, as spied in the Fringe alt-verse’s news crawl, Warner Bros. will wait until 2036 to remake Harry Potter?

2 | Did you go all “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout Willis” when Girls‘ Jessa insinuated that all of our current economic woes can be traced back to Bill Clinton’s final act as president?

RELATED | Lena Dunham Announces Girls Renewal

3 | Why is Revenge‘s Aiden always dressed like a waiter at an upscale eatery? (And wouldn’t it be awesome to see that problem remedied via a shopping spree with dapper Nolan?) Also, when did cross-country flights become as easy and quick as a walk to the corner store?himym_robin300

3.5 | Once Upon a Time‘s use of the Star Wars theme for Greg’s ringtone was just a fun anachronism/perhaps nod to corporate synergy, right? Or was it planting the seed for, say, Luke Skywalker to show up as Storybrooke’s local green grocer?

4 | Enough about Beyoncé. Didn’t American Idol alum Kelly Clarkson nail it at President Obama’s second inauguration?

5 | Why is How I Met Your Mother bringing back Robin’s Season 7 wardrobe? We thought we were past the unflattering trousers and blouse.

6 | Wasn’t Switched at Birth‘s Melody unnecessarily harsh on Regina this week? And isn’t the Carlton/pilot program storyline fascinating?

7 | If Bones‘ Hodgins is cash-strapped, does that mean we’ll finally meet some of his family when he inevitably has to turn to them for money? Pretty please?

VIDEO | Bones Exclusive: Booth and Brennan Finally Have the Sex Talk with [Spoiler]!

followingwall28 | On The Following, how did the wall inside Sarah Fuller’s closet look so perfect and untouched? Did the “gay” neighbors go back and carefully fix the hidden door after they’d already left big, bloody splotches leading right up to it? And did that premiere make you want to hug your dog?

9 | Which best lived up to its “Misery Loves Company” episode title: 90210 or Pretty Little Liars?

10 | Wait, is Hart of Dixie proposing a Lavon/Annabeth romance? Are there trying to see how many coupling permutations they can make up in one season?

11 | Forging whiskey?! Is there anything that White Collar‘s Neal Caffrey can’t do?

Private Practice Series Finale Recap12 | Could the Private Practice series finale have possibly featured Addison any less, outside of the episode-opening wedding scene?

RELATED | Finale Post Mortem: Parenthood Boss on Sarah’s ‘Wrenching’ Decision! Plus — Season 5 Scoop!

13 | Was it strange that the Parenthood finale didn’t even mention Haddie? And we’re still wondering: Does Sarah know the whole story about what happened between Drew and Amy?

14 | When do we get the lost Supernatural episode where the boys just LARP for the whole hour? Surely, there’s enough outtakes for one.

15 | No offense at all to Arrow‘s Diggle, but can Felicity be Oliver’s new partner?

16 | Can Modern Family keep Gloria’s sister — but the original meek version who wonders where the river is to wash clothes? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how great a spoof was the Godfather-style montage?

17 | Did it strike you as odd that American Horror Story: Asylum‘s intrepid reporter Lana just kind of went with the notion of Kit disappearing into the ether?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS, Bones, Nikita, Community, Scandal, Glee, Good Wife and More!

nashville 30018 | How amazing did Connie Britton look, rocking out at the start of Wednesday’s Nashville? But who else is bummed that Liam appears to be gone before ever hooking up with Rayna? And given the fact that he’s already livid with Rayna for what’s happened in the past, how terrible will it get when(ever) Deacon learns he’s the father of her older daughter?

19 | Isn’t it strange that the original reporting on American Idol‘s Nicki-Mariah Smackdown in Charlotte never mentioned that half of Minaj’s anger was aimed at Randy Jackson? Then again, considering that Idol only showed an edited take on the dust-up, how much of the whole truth do you think producers are concealing from public view?

20 | Which Last Resort lady did you end up liking most: kick-ass Grace, stealthy Sophie or crafty Kylie?

21 | Not to nitpick Glee‘s “Sadie Hawkins” episode to death, but is there a school anywhere in America where Tina and Sugar wouldn’t be considered among the “hot” girls?

RELATED | Steve Carell Formally Nixes Office Series Finale Comeback: ‘It Didn’t Make Sense’

22 | Did The Office‘s docu crew reveal live up to the hype? Were you surprised by Chris Diamantopoulos’ stealth casting? Lastly, were you more upset by that awful (and awfully real) fight between Jim and Pam than they were? Because we sure were.

30rock27523 | How fitting is it that Liz Lemon’s newly-adopted 30 Rock tots are a pint-sized Tracy and Jenna? She’s got parenting those two down pat! And after the show ends, can another sitcom promise to pick up the slack and poke fun at NBC’s forever-expanding Today show and its drinky hosts?

24 | If you’re original 30 Rock cast member Lonny Ross, how does it feel to be one of 20 actors in a cell phone commercial airing during the show’s celebrated final run?

25 | Couldn’t Matt Damon have hijacked The Tonight Show instead? (Was NBC asking the same thing this morning?)

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Katie says:

The Glass-Stegall Acts comment on Girls was my favorite part of the episode! Even if I didn’t agree with Jessa, it was still hilarious how completely in her own world Hannah is and how much Thomas-John is already changing Jessa (like she was ever interested in anything political or economic before!).

2. Susan says:

#8 – Also, how can any one person, no matter how agile they are, stab 4 prison guards, all armed with guns, in one room without being shot before he got to stab the last one?

• cas says:

Apparently you don’t watch a lot of TV. I see stuff all the time that I wonder how it could have happened that way. I am sure anything is possible at this point.

• Claudia Costa Chaves says:

Everything IS possible with five minutes of writer’s sweat dripping over a keyboard. Are you asking a TV series for coherence and consistency. With all that, I found it better than most. And Kevin definitely brings home the Bacon.

3. gail says:

On Bones How could Hodgins ever be cash strapped he is a billionaire and Angela has money to on

4. Tricia says:

I like Modern Family but I’ve never understood the hype. That being said, The Godfather reference was AMAZING. I love when a show can catch me off guard like that.

5. Meg says:

I have a question. Where the heck was Boo on this week’s episode of Bunheads? Did one of those rowdy kids at her house lock her on the closet? Or was she forced to join her mother on bed rest?

6. Mina says:

I have to believe Sarah doesn’t know the full story behind Drew and Amy’s pregnancy drama, otherwise I nominate her for worst parent of the year. Actually having your child repeatedly break down and not once having a thorough talking-to after the fact might clinch her the title anyway.

7. Ella says:

#18 – Loved Liam! He and Rayna had hot chemistry! I think Nashville is missing the boat by writing him off the canvas. Liam also helped Rayna become more tough which she definitely needed. Want Liam back!!!

• Anna says:

I’m gonna second that! I LOVE Liam and I don’t want him to leave :(

• Ana says:

Make this a third vote for Liam. I think it was low when they had him making a deal behind Rayna’s back. They were forming something solid and in one move they turned him into a scoundrel. No me gusta…

• Russ says:

Rayna and Liam was the only storyline of hers that I like so far and then they just killed it. wtf

8. Lana says:

8-I told hubby that the human killing was neither here nor there for me, but I got really mad at the poor dogs. That took it a step too far!

9. Deena says:

11–I have no problem accepting that Neal Caffrey can do ANYTHING!

25–Jay Leno would find a way to eat through his gag if Matt Damon tried to hijack his show. :) Seriously though, that episode of Jimmy Kimmel was fantastic.

10. Weezy says:

The Bill Clinton comment was actually quite brilliant, but Im not surprised the lemmings dont get it. Maybe not his final act, but take a look at NAFTA and GATT and let a buddy who understands economics look at what you found. These bills, along with some others, is directly responsible for our collapse (made outsourcing incredibly easy). Dont believe me? Look up larry king clip on you tube where ross perot predicts everything thats happened since the 90s while al gore laughs at him. Maybe you’ll learn something…

• Ana says:

You forgot to mention the push for fair housing which forced lenders to lower eligibility standards which opened to floodgates for unqualified borrowers to acquire properties they couldn’t afford and made predatory lending an acceptable business practice.

• BTM says:

George HW Bush got NAFTA started. Do your research.

• Col says:

I think the point we were supposed to get was not that the show was that Jessa is pretending to be informed but only reciting what she hears from Thomas John. His being in the financial filed would of course say something like that.

11. josh says:

I was upset with the neatness of the following at first but the whole goal of EVERYTHING was to get Ryan Hamby alone in the lighthouse, he wanted to be caught, so the clues lead right to him for a reason without the blood there is no door, without the door, there is no photo without the photo Ryan is never going to the right location… they had a 40 minute head start, which was all Purefoy’s character needed.

12. Nick Schulte says:

5. yeah, don’t know what’s going on there…
    10. I like it
    11. No, he can do anything
    15. yup
    16. 10!
    20. Grace, but I’m only half way through the finale right now
    22. That felt like one of the more real moments on the Office in recent seasons, very powerful episode
    23. That was great! what are they going to do for the finale? that felt pretty final to me

13. Amber says:

22. Jim and Pam’s fight really bummed me out. It was a very real moment, but it was not a fun note to leave the episode on.

14. AlbTrex says:

#15 YES, YES, YES!!!! Felicity, we love you!!!! :D

15. Cheri says:

#7…I thought that from the original gravedigger episode that Hodgins is the last surviving member of his family.That is why the ransom was not going to be paid.

• Deena says:

I think you’re right. In an episode from the 1st or 2nd season he didn’t want to go to the Jeffersonian Christmas party because he would have to face all the people who would know him as being the family’s representative as a benefactor. I don’t remember exactly how the dialog went but it did make it seem like he was the only member of his family left.

• Andrea says:

Thank you! I’m glad someone brought this up or I was going to. Hodgins doesn’t have any family, he’s the only one left.

16. Chance says:

Response to Question #2: It should be noted that Olivia Munn’s character in The Newsroom made a somewhat similar point in the episode “Amen” (Season 1, Episode 5).

17. Ana says:

Lots of good questions.
    6. I agree that Melody was a bit to quick and harsh to judge Regina. I love every storyline on SAB. Seriously underrated family show.
    8. I was so hesitant to watch The Following that it sat on my DVR for a couple of days and I watched it during the day. I was expecting American Horror Story kind of stuff. But for the most part it really was much ado about nothing. If you watch The Walking Dead, The Following is almost romper room by comparison.
    12. Agreed all the way! Addison was the central character in Private Practice. That was undisputed. Yet, Shonda chose to focus on wishy-washy Sam and out-of-nowhere Noemi. And we are supposed to accept that Mr. don’t-want-anymore-kids suddenly jumps for joy at the news of Noemi’s pregnancy and that suddenly he had some sort of epiphany and after 6 years realized that Noemi was the love of his life. And all in one episode. I’m glad is over. I think PPP and Kate were royally screwed when ABC decided to focus on Scandal and moved it to Tuesdays.
    16 & 18. Agreed.
    21. Glee is really aiming for the fences with all this ‘suspend your disbelief’ crap. This show has been turned upside down. They have made a mess of story lines and characters and relationships and viewers are just to accept things at face value. I guess it doesn’t matter much though. Because ever since they moved it to Thursdays I stopped watching live. I’m really just hanging on to see if they redeem the NY story line and get Finn back to Rachel and give Santana a permanent place and a decent story. And Sam is seriously getting on my nerves with all the imitation stuff. When is he going to grow up? And Tina crushing on Blaine? Really? REALLY? And agreed that there’s no way that Sugar and Tina would have been part of that lame club.

18. kyle says:

nothing on fringe?

19. Jane says:

#14 Yes please!
    #15 No, I can’t stand Felicity. She is so annoying.
    #24 I’m not a regular watcher of the show but I thought that was really funny.

20. Daisy says:

15. I like Felicity and I think she actually will become an official part of the team but no. He needs a sidekick that can’t kick some behind.

22. I did not like or approve of that fight. I know they’ll make up before season’s end but from what we know of the characters that seemed out of nowhere.

21. Russ says:

15) Right! I love Felicity she is awesome. How has she not figured out that Oliver is Green Arrow?

• Daisy says:

I think she’ll figure it out pretty soon. that’ll be fun to watch.

• M3rc Nate says:

I like her too, i hope she gets a bigger role on the show in some form or another. She has great screen presence and just…commands a certain heroine thing about herself. Though i do enjoy Diggle and he is definitely what Oliver needs right now.

22. M3rc Nate says:

#22) Okay so i have VERY mixed feelings about the ending

It felt like a very very real fight, a very real moment so of that i am proud of The Office. They are both stressed and both trying to have jobs they love (for her its painting, for him the sports job). People say unfair things so i dont think it was “out of character” for Jim to be so pissed about her not recording the play, as i also believe its “out of character” for her to say what she did about him chasing after a job he enjoys and leaving her and the daughter behind in a way. Obviously both of them are wrong and they are a strong couple so i hope they have them realize that, her see that going after a career that is both good and that you love is a great thing, and him see that missing one thing and human mistake shouldnt spark a HUGE fight.

What i HATED…was the out of the blue super handsome guy (boom operator) consoling her. That might sound odd…but i fear with that casting choice..there is more to it than just a guy being sympathetic to someone crying. I fear he’s being documenting her since Season 1 and loves her or something. All i saw was a really good looking guy consoling a hot married woman with a strained marriage and him putting his hand on her thigh. And if im right…im pissed at The Office for waiting this long to “create trouble in paradise” and them ending the series with this. Even if they work through it and are better than ever…why is it the last season that they had this huge breakdown? There were like 2-3 seasons before now that were boring and they couldnt have had written it then? I would have much rather this happened last season and then this finale season them working on their marriage and making it stronger and happier than ever, ending it on a super high note.

• josh says:

they will eventually end up fine, but what has their been to fight about between jim and pam for the longest time, it’s something new for them, i think anyone in their right mind would do that for a friend… im assuming the crew has developed some friendships with the people in the story… they got their shot of her crying, they dont need an hour of that happening so i think it was the right decision to have him console her…

nobody knows this guy’s motive for jumping in and consoling her, but i imagine we will find out eventually… i think it was more of a friend thing than a see a weak woman, try and sleep with her thing but that is just my opinion.

• M3rc Nate says:

Ya im just questioning the odds…what are the odds this super handsome boom guy that has probably been around since season 1…was just consoling as a friend? Doesn’t it sound more TV typical that hes mega handsome, has feelings for her cause hes been with her since Season 1, and might make a move or something? Im not saying hes seeing a opening and is gonna try to take advantage and bang her…but maybe next episode Jim seeings him and her being too friendly? Idk. Its not like she doesnt have a past lol, she “flirt” cheated on the original boyfriend/fiancee with Jim, and even kissed Jim while engaged i believe. Im not saying anything will happen…im just annoyed that with what 5 episodes left…after the past many seasons of their relationship being perfect….NOW they decide to heat things up? Leave a bad taste in my mouth…id want them to go out with many episodes of being happy…not like the last episode of the series them being happy again and deciding to move to Philly.

• DeeKayTee says:

I agree. I didn’t really get the impression that they were going to go “there” with that story line (although I did think wow, why have they been hiding HIM?! LOL). I just felt like they were going to start revealing more of the crew and what this documentary is all about and they may just be using some well known actors to play the crew. Pam and Jim are strong and this one fight, while sad, isn’t insurmountable.

23. Chris Myers says:

I believe the ending of Last Resort should have been two hours and the Jim and Pam fight on The Office looked way out of place for the show. I hope they stay together.

24. Lynn says:

I was looking forward to The Following, but when they got to the dogs I turned it off and deleted it from my DVR series recording menu. Step too far for me.

25. Kira says:

I find it strange that people are ok with shows like Dexter, American Horror Story, & The Walking Dead but cant watch The Following because of a dog being killed.

• Elyse says:

I have to admit I DO watch the Walking Dead however from what I heard about the Following I know it would be too scary for me. I can’t watch AHS for that exact same reason. sometimes even Supernatural gets too scary for me… but then again I’m a wimp.

• Laurel says:

I feel the same way and I’m not a wimp. I just don’t want some images remaining in my head, so I try to avoid them. I learned that lesson after seeing the movie Seven.

• Nina says:

Not to mention Criminal Minds!

26. Elyse says:

9. Pretty Little Liars
    11. Neal Caffery is the jack of all trades!!
    14. BEST IDEA EVER. the scene at the end with Dean giving out the speech… awesome!
    16. definitely a 10… couldn’t stop laughing!
    18. Rayna and Liam… ICK. I kinda like Rayna and Teddy… you know… her husband!
    21. in the REAL Lima, Ohio those girls would be goddesses.

• Rach says:

Re: 21 – Yes, they absolutely would. (I don’t live that far from the real Lima).

• Elyse says:

I live in Westerville, Ohio… you know the location for fictional Dalton Academy. nothing that cool is actually in Westerville though. I just know Lima is NOT like what they show on Glee lol

27. Leah says:

16. The Godfather ending was the highlight of this Modern Family season for me. I thought it was hilarious!

22. Seeing Jim yell at Pam broke my heart. Nobody should yell at Pam, especially not Jim!

23. Speaking of hearbreaking television; I am going to miss 30 Rock so much.

28. Babybop says:

22: Very real fight… Broke my heart. I cried…

29. Ram510 says:

16 – Yes we need more of Gloria’s sister and her family! The Godfather montage was excellent

30. Dee-Kay-Tee says:

#1, My thoughts exactly!!! WTH??

• Alichat says:

I didn’t understand that scene at all. His hand wasn’t pinned in a way that she wouldn’t be able to get it out. She could have raised the car an inch or two, and he could have pulled it out. This just seems a lame and unnecessary obstacle to give to them.

31. Britta Unfiltered says:

2. I kinda did, yeah. I had a Hannah moment because I had no idea what Jessa was talking about and felt very uniformed. Apparently I don’t read enough news.
    3.5. I just thought it was ABC/Disney flipping everyone off with a “Ha! We own the rights to Star Wars now! Take that, nerds!” Or there was just a subconscious message in the ringtone telling us all to go buy Disney Star Wars merchandise and to pay to see the next Star Wars movie.
    13. I doubt Sarah knows. Amber seems like she knows how to keep a secret.
    16. It was funny.
    22. No, it didn’t live up to the hype.
    23. I loved it.

32. Mike says:

Lot of Schools where Tina wouldnt be considered hot, she isnt.

33. Brendan says:

17 — When it comes to American Horror Story and even Glee now, what makes sense doesn’t really matter anymore. They just do whatever they want and next episode they can change it all up again. I am rapidly losing interest in both shows because they seem to focus on making sure that every single character suffers and doesn’t have a happy ending. Most AHS characters die in both seasons and those that live wish they were dead or are made rotten or twisted, and on Glee they spend years forming bonds and want us to care about them only to rip every single one of them apart and start shuffling them in the most ridiculous ways. I think it’s very clear that Ryan Murphy is an unhappy person and he takes it out his characters.

34. JC says:

#4 Kelly nailed it to the wall she was awesome :D

35. 12. I kinda agree. Addie should’ve appeared more in the finale since it’s basicly her show. But I think it’s a finale and it should be shared to all the cast member so that all of them have a proper ending (since Addie is all settled after the wedding with Jake). Also I think Violet saying goodbye to all the fans through her patient is a brilliant story. After all, it’s Addie’s show and we’ve seen her from the start, other characters have their fans too so let’s say that is a perfect ending for Private Practice.
    Again, R.I.P PPP

36. lara says:

18 – Actually, the writers have kind of implied that the baby daddy story isn’t as simple as it seems. That makes me think that maybe Deacon isn’t the father
    22 and 23 – The endings of The Office and 30 rock both made me cry this week – for very different reasons

37. GeoDiva says:

11: NO!

38. Maureen says:

Re: Star Wars ringtone..so now I’m waiting for someone (Greg?) to say “Henry, I am your father”…