Pilot Scoop: NBC Orders J.J. Abrams Drama Believe, Bill Lawrence Comedy Undateable

logo-nbc-300J.J. Abrams‘ Best. Week. Ever. continues…

NBC has ordered a drama pilot from the Star Wars VII helmer about an unlikely relationship between a gifted young girl and a man sprung from prison who has been tasked with protecting her from the evil elements that hunt her power.

Alfonso Cuaron penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Abrams and Bryan Burk.

For those keeping track at home, this is the second Abrams-produced project ordered to pilot today. Do I hear a third?

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers — and Who’s In Them!

In other Peacock pilot news, the network has ordered the multi-camera pilot Undateable from Scrubs and Cougar Town boss Bill Lawrence.

The project centers on a group of young friends dubbed the “Undateables” whose lives are altered when a more confident character enters their world.

The script was written by Adam Sztykiel (Due Date, Made of Honor).

1. I’m seeing Zach Braff in this

2. Patrick Maloney says:

Now I get why Cougar Town is held in such regard, it was made by the same guy who made Scrubs. But guess what Scrub fans? The show sucked towards the end and Cougar Town sucked from the start!

• Emteem says:

I’ll agree that COUGAR TOWN didn’t start out great, but it found it’s rhythm by the end of the first season and became pretty enjoyable in season 2. Comedies sometimes take time to find themselves. PARKS AND REC sucked in its first season.

But, why do you care if other people like it. Nobody has issued an executive order making viewing mandatory.

• Rob says:

What’s the point of writing this? If you don’t like a show, you don’t have to comment an insult fans of the show. I’m not a fan of cougar town but I’m a fan of scrubs. And even if I wasn’t this isn’t a forum to spread negativity in my opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, it just could have been said with less of a negative tone.

• Jen says:

If you watch Cougar Town beyond even just the first half of season 1, you’ll see that it’s evolved into a very funny and very likable show. I agree with the comment about Parks and Rec, season 1 wasn’t that good but now it’s one of the funniest on tv.

• Anna says:

Thank you for saying that. Bill Lawrence’s shows are unfunny bombs. Please stop giving him shows, and let someone else have a chance.

• Angel says:

I’ll agree that Cougar Town did not start off so great. After 2 episodes, I stopped watching. Then mid first season, I gave it another try and have loved it since. It is a completely different show now from what it was when it started. As for Scrubs, it did become less great the longer it was around, but that’s the same with any comedy that’s on for 9 years. Same could be said with most dramas. (Unfortunately, Supernatural is suffering from this, being-on-tv-too-long syndrome. The writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel for story lines and returning to old jokes that just aren’t funny the twentieth time around.)

3. Rob says:

The undateable pitch sounds a lot like Big Bang Theory season 1.

4. “about an unlikely relationship between a gifted young girl and a man sprung from prison who has been tasked with protecting her from the evil elements that hunt her power.” so, Touch?

5. Midori says:

J.J. Abrams is going to have a new reality show, it’s going to be him on the toilet. Every network will fight over it!

6. Lorena says:

Alfonso Cuaron and JJ Abrams together? that would be fantastic!! Love them both, Loved Fringe, Loved Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban

• gregk says:

Please not on network TV though! Love to see what JJ could do on a cable series. He did great with Alias, but this was thanks to a superb cast led by the gorgeous new star, Jennifer Garner, plus Victor Garber, the evil Sloane, and others. Recall also that Bradley Cooper got his start here. Of course LOST as well, again because of a terrific cast and concept,but imagine what he could do without network TV limitations.

7. nick1372 says:

Untouchables looks OK, I’ll have to see where it goes.
    Believe looks great, and since it’s JJ Abrams, I can’t wait.

8. Undateable’s premise sounds a hell of a lot like The Big Bang Theory… but hey we will see ;)

9. Undatables sounds like TBBT. Nice try, NBC.

10. JJ’s pilot sounds awful. I hope I’m proven wrong. NBC promos usually are VERY enticing.

11. sources says:

all the time i used to read smaller articles or reviews which as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading here.|

12. Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this page.|