Matt Damon Hijacks Jimmy Kimmel: Hit or Miss?

ROBIN WILLIAMS, MATT DAMON, JIMMY KIMMEL, ANDY GARCIAMatt Damon‘s “abduction” of Jimmy Kimmel and subsequent takeover of his archenemy’s late-night ABC talker reeked of being gimmicky — the latest noisy ploy to draw attention to Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s new, earlier timeslot. And yet in its execution (and in part perhaps because I sipped a Monster Energy Drink too close to bedtime), it proved to be a can’t-quite-look-away event.

The “evil,” cackling Damon intro was too predictable, as he revealed his bound-and-gagged captive after a montage recapped Kimmel’s ongoing joke of “bumping” the actor from 1,000-plus shows. But soon enough it became a fun exercise in “Who’s next on Matt’s Rolodex,” starting with [spoiler alert] fellow Ocean’s franchise star Andy Garcia stepping in for Guillermo — accent and all.

After Damon used Siri to find a comedian to deliver the monologue (Robin Williams, covertly reminding folks he’s available for pilot season) and intro’d Sheryl Crow as his bandleader, guests started filling the couch — not to tout their latest project or make any semblance of small talk, but merely to blatantly tee up the next guest. (Example: Who’s an actor Nicole Kidman admires? Boom, here’s Gary Oldman!)

Damon at one point even boasted that “you couldn’t throw a rock” and not hit an A-list star. Cue “Guillermo” outside, literally throwing rocks to turn up two more guests (the latter of which was, heavy sigh, barely physically recognizable).

Throughout the rechristened Jimmy Kimmel Sucks! telecast, Damon incessantly taunted an in-the-background Kimmel about his better version of the show, while each guest shared “horror stories” from their previous visits to the show. (Amy Adams was particularly into this bit of theater; if you kept your eye on her even as others spoke, she stayed “in character” every bit of the way.) There was also a pre-taped bit in which Kimmel quite unsuccessfully auditioned for several of Damon’s film roles. (“The Adjustment Bureau!”)

Capping the outing, Sarah Silverman swung by to too-briefly snark about ex-boyfriend Kimmel, then Crow served up a new song of hers.

I’ve shared a few clips below, for you to watch for the first time or revisit. What did you think of “Jimmy Kimmel Sucks”?

UPDATE: Damon’s “takeover” gave JKL its second-best demo delivery since the move to 11:35.

Intro / Damon kicks off the show

Andy Garcia Replaces Guillermo

Kimmel’s Sympathetic Cue Card Guy Revealed

‘Siri’ Finds a Comedian to Deliver the Monologue

Kimmel Auditions for Several Matt Damon Films

‘Guillermo’ Throws a Rock, Hits A-List Star

Demi Moore (I Think…?)

Sarah Silverman Stops By to Rag on Her Ex

1. Jason Lawson says:

I didn’t watch it yesterday but watched the first 5 minutes this morning and couldn’t stop laughing LOL! Wish I saw it last night!

2. Suzi says:

Loved it!

3. Cher says:

Loved it!!! I wasn’t sure Demi Moore was “real” but it was a great show!

4. KSM says:

I just watched it this morning. Loved it! I’ve always enjoyed the Matt Damon bit by Jimmy.

5. Cottage101 says:

Hilarious! Loved how Amy and Matt casually greeted each other by kissing and then going on about how inappropriate Jimmy was the last time she was on his show. Great stuff :D

6. Cathy says:

I thought it was HILARIOUS. Glad others agree about Demi Moore. I was all confused…it kinda sounded like her, but that’s not the face I remember! Sad that she felt she had to change. :( Otherwise, it was wonderful and funny and keeping with Jimmy Kimmel’s humor.

7. TV Fan says:

I could see some semblance of Demi behind the over-inflated cheeks. I did not recognize Nicole Kidman at all. Not sure what she did to her face, but I hope she gets a huge settlement in the lawsuit.

8. Sarah says:

Loved the show but surprise at how Demi looked, not sure if it was a weight gain but her face was rather different.

9. John says:

Not a fan of Damon.

10. Kris says:

Best laughing I’ve done in months!

11. Terri says:

I loved every minute and laughed a lot! Wonder if Jimmy will continue to “run out of time” for Matt Damon.

12. Julie Pham says:

demi did plastic surgery or something

13. Drewer says:

This was so funny and perfect, I especially loved Reese with the grocery bags of boos, Ben Affleck with the pro-Jimmy cue cards, the taped bits by John Krazinski and the likes and Andy Garcia’s Gillermo (sp?) impression. Could have done without Demi Moore, but oh well.

14. gg says:

one of the best late night episodes ive ever seen. Kimmel is the new king of late night

15. big cheddar says:

Loved every minute of it. I know anything damon related would be hilarious, and he didn’t disappoint. I haven’t laughed so hard at one of jimmy’s celebrity-filled bits since the “handsome man’s club”. ranks up there with Conan’s last few days on the tonight show when he was basically doing things to waste nbc’s money.

16. GREAT SHOW! Obviously Jimmy is well thought of in Hollyweird! Loved it!

17. Whatever says:

That’s the Best thing Damon’s done it a few years…
    Adjustment Bureau , We Bought a Zoo, P U !

18. Charles says:

Big hit. Lots of laughs and it kept me guessing the whole time. I just wish Kimmel would have been more involved aside from just sitting there.

19. Juan says:

Hilarious from what I saw, I only saw after Amy Adams but it was really funny

20. Snsetblaze says:

I was just flipping channels and this made me stay up (although I stepped away fro the John Kraskinski taped thing). I love Matt Damon! I thought it was hilarious.

21. Sascha says:

matt f……g damon was hilarious …. i love it!

22. Deena says:

I think this was the 1st time I watched that show the entire way through It was hilarious. I agree–I wish they would have done more with Sarah Silverman.

23. Alice says:

Is Demi Moore trying to morph into Demi Lovato? What is up with her face?

24. lara says:

Thought that there were some really great moments. I was hopping for a classic like “I’m F****** Matt Damon/Ben Affleck”, but I still really liked it. Wish there had been more Ben! The opening “hostage” video was perfection.

25. charissa29 says:

I’ve never watched, but I taped this one and just laughed my way through it. It may have been gimmicky as you say but it says a lot about the people involved. There has to be genuine affection and respect and real desire to enjoy a laugh to get all those people to participate. So I will probably check it out in the future.

26. Why isn’t it available on abc.com? I missed it and want to watch the rest!

27. Mark says:

Damon was great! Concept of the show was excellent! Fast moving couldn’t look away show. Extremely funny segments. Different television! Loved it!

28. Rosemary says:

I love Jimmie Kimmel show. Always bragging about him like he was my son. He is so original and in the moment.