Matt Damon Hijacks Jimmy Kimmel: Hit or Miss?

ROBIN WILLIAMS, MATT DAMON, JIMMY KIMMEL, ANDY GARCIAMatt Damon‘s “abduction” of Jimmy Kimmel and subsequent takeover of his archenemy’s late-night ABC talker reeked of being gimmicky — the latest noisy ploy to draw attention to Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s new, earlier timeslot. And yet in its execution (and in part perhaps because I sipped a Monster Energy Drink too close to bedtime), it proved to be a can’t-quite-look-away event.

The “evil,” cackling Damon intro was too predictable, as he revealed his bound-and-gagged captive after a montage recapped Kimmel’s ongoing joke of “bumping” the actor from 1,000-plus shows. But soon enough it became a fun exercise in “Who’s next on Matt’s Rolodex,” starting with [spoiler alert] fellow Ocean’s franchise star Andy Garcia stepping in for Guillermo — accent and all.

After Damon used Siri to find a comedian to deliver the monologue (Robin Williams, covertly reminding folks he’s available for pilot season) and intro’d Sheryl Crow as his bandleader, guests started filling the couch — not to tout their latest project or make any semblance of small talk, but merely to blatantly tee up the next guest. (Example: Who’s an actor Nicole Kidman admires? Boom, here’s Gary Oldman!)

Damon at one point even boasted that “you couldn’t throw a rock” and not hit an A-list star. Cue “Guillermo” outside, literally throwing rocks to turn up two more guests (the latter of which was, heavy sigh, barely physically recognizable).

Throughout the rechristened Jimmy Kimmel Sucks! telecast, Damon incessantly taunted an in-the-background Kimmel about his better version of the show, while each guest shared “horror stories” from their previous visits to the show. (Amy Adams was particularly into this bit of theater; if you kept your eye on her even as others spoke, she stayed “in character” every bit of the way.) There was also a pre-taped bit in which Kimmel quite unsuccessfully auditioned for several of Damon’s film roles. (“The Adjustment Bureau!”)

Capping the outing, Sarah Silverman swung by to too-briefly snark about ex-boyfriend Kimmel, then Crow served up a new song of hers.

I’ve shared a few clips below, for you to watch for the first time or revisit. What did you think of “Jimmy Kimmel Sucks”?

UPDATE: Damon’s “takeover” gave JKL its second-best demo delivery since the move to 11:35.

Intro / Damon kicks off the show

Andy Garcia Replaces Guillermo

Kimmel’s Sympathetic Cue Card Guy Revealed

‘Siri’ Finds a Comedian to Deliver the Monologue

Kimmel Auditions for Several Matt Damon Films

‘Guillermo’ Throws a Rock, Hits A-List Star

Demi Moore (I Think…?)

Sarah Silverman Stops By to Rag on Her Ex

Comments (35)

• I didn’t watch it yesterday but watched the first 5 minutes this morning and couldn’t stop laughing LOL! Wish I saw it last night!

Comment by Jason Lawson – January 25, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t have to be out of the loop – the whole epi is OnDemand.

Comment by Name(less) – January 25, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!

Comment by Suzi – January 25, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love!!!

Comment by Kel – January 25, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!!! I wasn’t sure Demi Moore was “real” but it was a great show!

Comment by Cher – January 25, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! When she was out on the street I thought they had brought in a look-a-like. I’m glad I’m not the only one who at least wondered. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 25, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When I saw her I was WTF?????? That’s botox..for sure…and bad work

Comment by karen – January 25, 2013 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched it this morning. Loved it! I’ve always enjoyed the Matt Damon bit by Jimmy.

Comment by KSM – January 25, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarious! Loved how Amy and Matt casually greeted each other by kissing and then going on about how inappropriate Jimmy was the last time she was on his show. Great stuff :D

Comment by Cottage101 – January 25, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was HILARIOUS. Glad others agree about Demi Moore. I was all confused…it kinda sounded like her, but that’s not the face I remember! Sad that she felt she had to change. :( Otherwise, it was wonderful and funny and keeping with Jimmy Kimmel’s humor.

Comment by Cathy – January 25, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see some semblance of Demi behind the over-inflated cheeks. I did not recognize Nicole Kidman at all. Not sure what she did to her face, but I hope she gets a huge settlement in the lawsuit.

Comment by TV Fan – January 25, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show but surprise at how Demi looked, not sure if it was a weight gain but her face was rather different.

Comment by Sarah – January 25, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of Damon.

Comment by John – January 25, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best laughing I’ve done in months!

Comment by Kris – January 25, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved every minute and laughed a lot! Wonder if Jimmy will continue to “run out of time” for Matt Damon.

Comment by Terri – January 25, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • demi did plastic surgery or something

Comment by Julie Pham – January 25, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was so funny and perfect, I especially loved Reese with the grocery bags of boos, Ben Affleck with the pro-Jimmy cue cards, the taped bits by John Krazinski and the likes and Andy Garcia’s Gillermo (sp?) impression. Could have done without Demi Moore, but oh well.

Comment by Drewer – January 25, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who was booing? Did she have ghosts??

Comment by grace – January 25, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one of the best late night episodes ive ever seen. Kimmel is the new king of late night

Comment by gg – January 25, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved every minute of it. I know anything damon related would be hilarious, and he didn’t disappoint. I haven’t laughed so hard at one of jimmy’s celebrity-filled bits since the “handsome man’s club”. ranks up there with Conan’s last few days on the tonight show when he was basically doing things to waste nbc’s money.

Comment by big cheddar – January 25, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT SHOW! Obviously Jimmy is well thought of in Hollyweird! Loved it!

Comment by Karen (@ldylkngb) – January 25, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s the Best thing Damon’s done it a few years…
    Adjustment Bureau , We Bought a Zoo, P U !

Comment by Whatever – January 25, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big hit. Lots of laughs and it kept me guessing the whole time. I just wish Kimmel would have been more involved aside from just sitting there.

Comment by Charles – January 25, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarious from what I saw, I only saw after Amy Adams but it was really funny

Comment by Juan – January 25, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just flipping channels and this made me stay up (although I stepped away fro the John Kraskinski taped thing). I love Matt Damon! I thought it was hilarious.

Comment by Snsetblaze – January 25, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • matt f……g damon was hilarious …. i love it!

Comment by Sascha – January 25, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this was the 1st time I watched that show the entire way through It was hilarious. I agree–I wish they would have done more with Sarah Silverman.

Comment by Deena – January 25, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Demi Moore trying to morph into Demi Lovato? What is up with her face?

Comment by Alice – January 25, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great!

Comment by N – January 25, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought that there were some really great moments. I was hopping for a classic like “I’m F****** Matt Damon/Ben Affleck”, but I still really liked it. Wish there had been more Ben! The opening “hostage” video was perfection.

Comment by lara – January 25, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched, but I taped this one and just laughed my way through it. It may have been gimmicky as you say but it says a lot about the people involved. There has to be genuine affection and respect and real desire to enjoy a laugh to get all those people to participate. So I will probably check it out in the future.

Comment by charissa29 – January 26, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t it available on abc.com? I missed it and want to watch the rest!

Comment by Elaine Silveira – January 28, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon was great! Concept of the show was excellent! Fast moving couldn’t look away show. Extremely funny segments. Different television! Loved it!

Comment by Mark – January 30, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jimmie Kimmel show. Always bragging about him like he was my son. He is so original and in the moment.

Comment by Rosemary – February 5, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post