Steve Carell Formally Nixes Office Series Finale Comeback: 'It Didn't Make Sense'

The Office Series Finale Steve CarellIt’s official: The Office‘s rapidly approaching series finale will not feature an appearance by former boss Michael Scott.

Steve Carell has confirmed that he turned down an offer to reprise his signature role one last time.

RELATED | Someone’s Getting Fired on The Office — But Who?

“I just didn’t think it was right for the character, because that character had had an arc within the story and kind of grew and sort of evolved past the idea of the documentary,” he told Access Hollywood. “I’m really good friends with everybody on the cast and with [executive producer] Greg Daniels and I want to go back to say, ‘Hi,’ certainly, before it all ends. but I just thought, in terms of the character, it didn’t make sense.”

The Office is set to close its doors after nine seasons with a one-hour finale in May.

1. Eric says:

How many times does this story have to make the front page? I just get more depressed every time. That being said, I agree with it. Michael had an amazing send-off.

• Belle says:

I am very disappointed in Steve, I mean The Office helped put him in the position he’s in now career wise…he didn’t have to have a speaking part!!! A glimpse at he and Holly in Colorado would have been nice, maybe a quick shot of them pushing a baby in a stroller – or just seeing them walking down the street holding hands with a pregnant Holly??!! It would not change how he left, nor would it ruin his big send off!!! I think he owes the fans at least that much :(

• zandusku says:

maybe they wanted his character to return to “The Office”.

• Rebecca says:

I would even accept a holiday card with Michael Holly and a baby.

• Trent says:

Belle, I completely agree. If we learned anything about Michael Scott, it’s that he considered the office staffers his family. It makes no sense that he would leave Scranton and never speak with any of them again.

Honestly, I expected better from Steve Carell. Very disappointing…

• Pennagirl says:

IT didn’t make sense to HIM…but his fans I guess it will make sense not to watch any of his projects from this point forward.

• James Ridings says:

I completely agree I want to see Micheal Scott one more time! He owes it to us!!

• Erik says:

You clearly do not understand the nature of television or even story-telling. Steve Carell DOES love his fans and DOES appreciate the place he is in now and as such, does not want to tarnish the legitimacy of the story based on the sole reason that his fans think he owes him that.

Second, you apparently forgot that this is a mocumentary show–a film crew follows the office staff around but it makes ZERO sense to have the crew fly to Colorado just to get a glimpse of a couple with a baby stroller and not have them speak. So again, to preserve the believability of the show, they are not going to do something like that JUST to get one last glimpse of Michael Scott.

As Steve Carell said; his character evolved PAST the “wanna-be cool boss who has a penchant for hamming it up for TV notoriety.” He’s been gone a year. He may have a family. He’s happy with Holly without cameras following him around. Why would a sane person want to return to that?

Perhaps you should pick up the book STORY and get an idea of how story arcs work and why some things just don’t make sense no matter how much we want to see something. If we did see Steve Carell again, MOST of the audience who truly consider themselves fans of the show would likely give a sour “meh” at the end of a 9 year run. What a waste.

Your “how dare you Steve Carell” line is childish and reeks of ignorance of story and how television works. But the good news is, the guys who made the show work for 9 years are going to do that thing that got them enough credibility to get the show on the air: not pay attention to those who have no idea what they’re talking about.

And TV will be all the better for it.

• jess says:

Ur an idiot. If uve ever seen the office UK…where this office was based like line for line in first couple seasons, then you’ll see everything uve said is wrong wrong wrong. And the fans are 100% correct. And how much do u really think the producers care about story arc huh! He didn’t get paid enough just like the others duh. The writers wanted him in the finale, so why would he have input on the “arc” anymore? The arc is what they tell him it is.

• Erik says:

A) I don’t really take seriously someone who calls me an idiot, and spells it “ur”.
            B) How much writing for TV have you done? How much sketch writing, screenwriting, etc…have you done? By the rationale you gave, I am going to go with zip. Zero.
            C) Of course the writers want him to come back. So does the cast. And I am sure they could write a script to “try” to make it work, but Carell is convinced that it would be too contrived and forced to bring him back based on how he went out.

I agree,

And D) Just because you disagree with me, doesn’t make me an idiot. Seeing as how you think that calling someone an idiot makes you right, I am not too concerned with how you think the show should be written, when it’s apparent that you’ve had zero experience with writing anything creative or the creative process and the actor’s pursuit to do their character justice by making proper choices.

• Allen says:

Ok guys, we all need to get down to the 3 truths at hand. 1) this is JUST A TV SHOW. 2) due to the crazy events and characters of the show, it was NEVER intended to be anything more then a light, funny, past time for the fans during a stressful lifestyle we all live. And 3) this is a comment Steve has made in January! The finale isn’t til May! No one knows what his decision will be then. Everyone is fighting over something he “should have done”, and it hasn’t even happened yet.

• Carlos says:

Wow you are so stupid Michael loved the office he should have at least made a phone call the cast told him to call in his final episode, he was obsessed with his job and the people there if anything they ruined his character.

• Erik says:

Lol. I love that you call me stupid and then argue that a make believe character would do something the actor who brought him to life wouldn’t. Steve Carell played Michael Scott for 7 years and even though it was a scripted show, he had a lot of control over how his character would evolve.
            Once again, fine argumentation skills demonstrated by both an insult and obvious lack of knowledge of how the relationship between actor and character works. I am completely OK with being called stupid by someone whose likely only writing credits consist of poorly articulated points on an article comments thread.
            Good luck with that.

• Mike says:

I love how people are talking about how it “doesn’t make sense to the story” – yet The Office is FULL of stories that didn’t make sense.

– Ryan being hired from intern to Regional Manager
          – Ryan being re-hired after he was arrested for fraud
          – Michael still working for the company after dozens of examples of harassment or just bad management (“Movie Mondays”)
          – Michael (a branch manager) dating Holly (an HR rep) clearly violating any American company’s corporate rules.
          – Dwight still being hired after setting the office on fire
          – Pam being kept on as an “office manager” when they clearly didn’t need one
          – And THIS one bugged me the most: A company asking individual branches to choose their own insurance plans. That would NEVER happen in corporate America.

I could go on and on. The point being, it’s entertainment. We don’t let the forced stories bother us. Michael coming back for the finale is expected and wouldn’t be forced at all. He was friends/family with them – visiting Scranton to show their new baby (?) would be perfectly acceptable.

• Jeremy says:

Have you ever worked at a company before? Pretty sure one of each of these has happened at my current place of employment.

• Ashley says:

That makes sense for him not coming back. However, I feel it was a plot hole and/or character flaw that Michael Scott didn’t keep in touch through email, text or calling like his send off song told him to do. After 19 years and over 7 with the same people and all they have been through it could have been mentioned once in a while his keeping in touch with Pam, Jim and Dwight at least.

2. Mark P says:

A part of me just died

3. Babybop says:

*sniffle* At least they had a good ending for him… I hope the characters at least mention him this season. They’ve acted like he never existed the last couple of seasons.

• Matt says:

That’s what really drove me away and caused me to stop watching. I understand putting him behind so you can focus on moving on, but the casual mention or “phone call” would have been a nice way to keep him involved with everyone else. Surely Dwight would have heard from him.

• CJ says:

I agree – I have a hard time believing he could just leave all of them behind and never talk to them again.

• Celia says:

Agree. How many times did Michael Scott say he loved the office and say he would never leave it. I understand Holly is now his main priority but come on he would have definitely been overbearing in keeping in touch. (I need to stop getting attached to shows)

• RJ says:

Agreed, at least throw a picture of him on the wall or something. What’s really turned me off of the show since he left was Andy. I can’t remember loathing a character on TV as much as him. I’ve started watching again now that he’s been gone and really hope that Erin ends up with Pete. Toby had a point when talking to Nelly about how bad of a lover Andy was to Erin.

4. Amanda says:

I always liked the idea someone else shared a few months back that he could be in the finale if they were all together watching the documentary. Of course, we still have to find out exactly how that reveal is going to play out. I don’t like that he says, “it doesn’t make sense.” Lots of stuff on tv doesn’t make sense, but makes fans happy! I still love him anyway!

5. Ellen says:

Good for Steve Carell. I want to remember Michael as he was, not crawling back to the finale of a show that shouldn’t have even continued without him.

• Allen says:

I completely agree! Steve’s character Micheal Scott made that show what it was. I’m watching the finale season, just to get closer, but the last 3 episodes of season 7 after he left should have been Sabre closing or something so that there wouldn’t have ever been a season 8 or 9.

6. Tom Charles says:

Yes he had a great send off, but why can’t we get some sort of “He and Holly are married and maybe have a baby on the way” update? Why is that such a horrible thing to want to know about? It’s been what, two years now, why can’t we get an update? People like Karen too would be nice to know about.

• Poppy says:

My friends and I thought it would be great if Michael and Holly returned to Scranton to show off their baby. Even if we only saw Michael on Skype, I would be okay with that.

• Snsetblaze says:

I have to agree. I would also wonder if he got another job in sales or at all (especially during this economy).

7. J says:

I was sort of holding out hope that the last shot of the series would be a Bugs Bunny-esque reveal of Michael as the producer of the documentary (because of course even through financial struggle he’d dump a fortune into a production like that). Based on what I’m reading about tonight’s ep, though, I guess they’re going a different direction with that.

Anyway, “Goodbye, Michael” was amazing, and his final shots on the show are the type one wouldn’t want to undo. So I get it.

8. Steve says:

Part of me wonders if this is all to mislead fans. He makes mention that he’s going to go on site, but not film (so no filming rumors will pop up when he is spotted on site)… hopefully it’s a long con.

9. Faith says:

Sadness. Why can’t we get a glimpse of Michael and Holly with a kid in a boat like he’s always dreamed? Just one glance to say goodbye and imagine.

10. Waage says:

Alright. Will not watch.

11. Betty says:

I think Steve is being kinda douchey here. Yes, he left the show the best way he could, but it would make TOTAL sense if we get an update regarding Holly and him. Seriously, if we were to see Michael again in some capacity, it would help give the show the great ending it deserves. Too bad Steve’s ego won’t allow for that.

• Matt says:

It wouldn’t make sense considering they metaphorically killed off his character. No one even remembers he existed there.

• Josh says:

Yeah I do think it would make sense for a documentary team to do an update on one of it’s central characters….so I don’t agree with the “it doesn’t makes sense” bit…Heck just a minute of a successful Michael with a son in his hand and is arm draped around Holly would not only be a wonderful addition to his exit but a great update for the fans.

• Mike Robbins says:

Considering the documentary crew followed Jim to CT when he transferred. And now they are following Jim to Philly, I never understood why they didn’t follow Michael to CO. Hell even the show runners could have kept a blog “written” by “Michael Scott” which spoke of his CO adventures. Did he end up working for a Dunder Mifflin/Sabre in CO?

• Allen says:

It was essential for the show for the documentary crew to follow Jim to Stamford, but…your completely correct about Philly. Why would the documentary care about Jim’s business in Philly? If they are willing to film in Philly, then they should be willing to check on the most memorable boss in history down in Boulder.

12. rmcclaren says:

We got to see Michael at so many weddings I just wish one was his own. With Holly he really deserved it!

13. Brigette says:

“It didn’t make sense”? If we are pulling back that curtain and learning about the nature of the documentary, to me it doesn’t make sense if we DON’T see Michael again. Unless the whole point of it really was about following Jim & Pam as the doc crew alluded to. Still, I’m kinda annoyed.

14. Shari says:

they keep saying “series finale” – the delusional part of me hopes this is misdirection and that we WILL get a michael appearance in one of the episodes BEFORE the finale, even if its just his voice over the phone or a pre-taped video bit like when Jason Priestly went “back” for the BH90210 finale. I won’t believe it until I don’t see it! ;-)

15. Brian Milholland says:

Never say never I have seen this in the past and high profile starts return even if it is for a glimpse

16. Jessie says:

Because you guys started the show together Steve Carrell and for the freaking fans who watched and pulled you through with ratings. Honestly would it kill him to show up?

• Coop says:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn’t have to talk, or do anything, just stand there pushing a baby in a swing or whatever – let the Doc. Crew film a 30 second blip, that’s NOT too much to ask!!!

• Allen says:

Honestly, we all know the type of character Micheal Scott was….there is NO WAY he could in front of a camera, and not help but l say something lol.

17. DL says:

This could be smoke and mirrors – I could see them sneaking him in to get everyone who is super sad by this announcement all wet.

I’d be down with a David Brent appearance.

18. Jim says:

Have fun with that big movie career Steve. Dinner For
    Schmucks 2, anyone?

• Rob says:

Within the last few months, he was the star of “Foxcatcher” (which I got to work on for several days), directed by Bennett Miller of “Moneyball”, which is the story of eccentric rich guy John Dupont (Carell) and his involvement with the US wrestling team, particularly brothers Mark and Dave Schultz (Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo), which ultimately ended with the murder of one of the brothers. Possible Oscar nomination, anyone? You make it sound like the guy can’t find work…

19. Lauren says:

Disagree, Steve! Would have been great to see Michael and Holly one last time, maybe they could just be visiting, or maybe they could be skyping the office, something. And would have been great if Holly was prego!

20. april-ann says:

Finally, someone who cares enough about the show and the fans to have a series finale that makes sense. Michael’s goodbye episodes were superb, and I can understand why Steve Carell would like to leave it at that. But the sap in me would still like at least a mention by another character of how Michael and Holly are doing.

21. Simon says:

You know what didn’t make sense, the last two seasons of the office without steve carell.

22. Mister Salty says:

A film crew spending nearly a decade making a documentary about a small-town paper company doesn’t make sense either. Why let logic keep you away from the show now?

23. Matt says:

I think this is an absurd excuse. Michael may have moved on physically, but throughout the show his character was like a father to everyone (excepting Toby) in the office, and therefore to assume he would actually move on in an emotional capacity is quite impossible. At the very least there should be a phone call/Skype deal where the audience gets to say goodbye. After all, this show may be about the characters in the series, but it should be just as much about the audience and their relationship with the characters. So what REALLY doesn’t make sense to me is Michael NOT visiting the people he loved so much at least once before the show concludes. Straight stupid, Steve.

24. AwesomeCallMe says:

First they Steve Carrel leaves, then they cancel The Farm, and now THIS?? What is happening? I had so much hope for this final season… I have enjoyed, but I think the main reason I did is because I though “You know, at the end Michael has to come back.. he, he just has to”. However, this is not the case. Disappointed. In NBC and in Steve Carrel.

• Jason says:

Was The Farm the Dwight spinoff set on his beet farm? That was the worst idea for a spinoff possible in the history of television. And there have been some bad ones, Enos, Sherriff Lobo, The Tortellis.

• Miffy says:

Oh dear, they cancelled The Farm? Heavens, whatever will we do?

You are completely lame. And your taste in TV shows sucks.

25. CJ says:

Personally, I would be happy with just his voice over the phone updating The Office on his life with Holly. I understand Steve’s reasoning to a point, but he comes across a little pretentious in saying that it “didn’t make sense for the character.” This is Michael Scott we are talking about, not Jay Gatsby. Michael Scott, a man who cooked his foot on a George Foreman grill. Who was so proud of his job and his employees that he created his own awards, The Dundies. A man who loved everyone in that office like family. Who met his wife the that office. Cut me a break, Steve Carell.

• tripoli says:

Well said, CJ. Totally agree.

• Allen says:

I want to see Micheal in the finale just as bad as everyone else, but…we all have to agree…NO ONE would be OK with just a phone call, or just a 15 second shot of him and holly holding their new born! That would drive us all more crazy than not seeing him at all. I think it’s a good choice not to return. At least for the sake of the rest of the cast. You and I should agree that “Micheal Scott” made that show what it is, and that “Nelly” has pretty much butchered it.

26. jason says:

the show is still great without steve carell. better with him but i still love it. the only thing i didn’t like is that they made andy act almost identical to michael and not himself. if you look at his actions and mannerisms, he’s michael. they should have brought in an outside actor to take michaels place. i think sarah silverman would have been great. but yeah, steve could have showed up for 5 minutes and it would have made a lot of people happy. this is obviously about money. not the fans of the show. good bye Office :)

27. Jason says:

WHo is the Scranton Strangler? Will it be revealed? Maybe Toby? Creed?

28. A says:

Again, very disappointed to hear this news. Still crossing my fingers that this is a fake-out. I agree with most of the comments above. Michael completely leaving all these people behind, “his family”, makes absolutely no sense. And why, Steve Carrell, for your blossoming movie career? Pffft. Give me a break. No movie he’s ever done can rival the character that was Michael Scott. And the fact that none of the characters EVER acknowledged that Michael even existed, even during and after all the turmoil surrounding finding and keeping his replacement? I feel almost like this is a slap in the face to fans who stuck with this show even after his departure (when we all knew it wouldn’t be nearly the same without him), and who have (for some reason?) still stuck with it without even Andy, Ryan, or Kelly for most of the current season. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be a fake out.

• Salad23 says:

This is an ignorant comment. Do you hear yourself? This guy stayed on for a long time. This show didn’t make his career. His career was already becoming big with the anchorman. I believe as Steve carrel was classy for staying with the office for as long as he did.

• A says:

Anchorman? You’ve gotta be joking. He was a supporting actor in that along with so many other actors that you can hardly argue that. If he relied on his movie career alone he’d be nothing. He was and still is this show. Bad move Carrell. If he’d done something noteworthy since then I’d probably feel differently

29. Walkie says:

Very bad decision by Carell. You go back for the finale so you can honor the cast and crew who helped make your career.

I’m embarrassed for him.

30. Tom Veil says:

“I just thought, in terms of the character, it didn’t make sense.” – yeah that’s all very nice but you are paid to ACT.

31. lara says:

Everything that I’ve heard about Carell tells me that he is very grateful to the show, and truly does believe that Michael’s send-off was perfect and shouldn’t have the chance to be ruined in any way. I do disagree with him, though – considering how much Michael loved the people in the office, it makes a lot less sense (IMO) that he would never come back to Scranton or call them. My ideal ending would be the “cast” watching the documentary with the crew, and Michael making a “That what she said” joke after a documentary producer says “It’s not as bad as I thought it would be” or something like that.

32. Jess says:

his character on the reality show ‘evolved past the idea of the documentary’??..yeesh..how many times do you see participants on Survivor or Amazing Race return??..hello..fan favorites??

33. michael says:

nope i do not believe this, i refuse to! either he way he will make an appearance… round up all the office gang to go find michael!!!

34. april-ann says:

Well, not everything’s always all about us. Some things can and should happen off camera. For all we know (even though cameras were on them apparently) we didn’t get to see everything, and Michael did keep in touch with his friends at the Office. So I for one would still love a mention of Michael’s life with Holly in Colorado. But I have to hand it to Steve Carell who, truth be told, is probably a really classy guy. These are his colleagues and even friends from what we have been told, and he left two years ago of his own volition. There’s no way a classy guy like him would risk upstaging his friends that way. He knows that even a small showing from him would be the main focus and would upstage all the others, new and old who stayed with the show. I don’t think he’d want that (even though we wouldn’t mind, lol). So let’s raise a glass to the many years of laughs he gave us as Michael Scott, and hope there’s at least a mention of how Michael and Holly are doing!

• A says:

I guess I can see this, but I don’t think his making an appearance would upstage the other cast members. If anything it would draw in a lot of viewers who left when Steve did. Sure it wouldn’t be as much of a focus on the cast members who stayed, but they obviously aren’t grasping attention the way they did when Steve was around. Hence why this show is leaving the air. An appearance would really bring this show full circle and satisfy a lot of fans

35. Celia says:

I doubt it is a fake out for the mere fact that he has been so douchely adamant about not reappearing. I honestly can’t believe him. Even the way he said he wasn’t coming back for the remainder of the seasons through press for Date Night. RUDE!

36. jac says:

for those saying steve carell owes it to the office becuz the office helped his career…i actually think it’s the other way around. steve carell helped make the office a hit in the u.s. becuz season 1’s ratings weren’t all that great, but thanks to carell starring in the hit summer movie “the 40 year old virgin” people got interesting in the show and that’s why season 2 premiered in the fall with a much bigger audience than the season 1 finale…i don’t think he owes the office anything.

37. Justin121 says:

Micheal & Jan 4 ever!!!

• RamonOP says:

Jan was a horrible girlfriend, she nearly made Michael go to the poor house, made him dress like a school girl, and she got a sperm doner baby while they were dating. Plus she broke his flat screen tv.

38. Salad23 says:

He owes the office nothing. He was with the show way longer than most would have been with his star power. He got popular during the first season and stayed on for 6 or 7 more. He doesn’t have to come back

39. Matt says:

This show is starting to make me mad. I hate the fact that they had Micheal leave and say he would keep in touch. It has been two seasons and they have said his name once, and it wasn’t even in a how he is doing sense. And the fact that they are leaving Andy out of half of the last season it stupid too. This show was built off a boss leading everything, and now they have been running the Dunder Mifflin by themselves.

40. Alex says:

I think Michael should come back with Holly and a Michael Jr., and when someone says something that calls for That’s what she said, I think Michael and his kid should both say, “That’s what she said.”

41. Michael Ma says:

Doesn’t make sense to come back?? That is total BS. Every thing about it makes sense for Michael to come back to his extended family and save the day Michael Scott style.

42. anonymous says:

*SPOILER* the scranton strangler is………………….gabe. toby investigates the murders during a 3 episode storyline. gabe finds out because toby actually shows gabe all his evidence (toby and gabe play chess on weekends) toby still can’t figure it out even though its obvious. gabe tres to kill toby after work in office when toby’s alone. dwight intervenes, thinks about helping gabe but helps toby. michael is supposed to show up in guest appearance and he, not dwight, almost lets gabe kill toby but then helps him. but steve carell decided not to come back. my brother is a writer and got drunk a few days ago. told me.

43. Mike P says:

Why would Steve come back to this horrible show! It has been horrible without him and they go from one story to another and most the time they don’t even finish what they started… Let’s face it… The show revolved around Michael Scott, it was about him.. Could you imagine Seinfeld without Jerry ? .. Instead of being greedy they should have ended the show when Steve left, it was an amazing ending and lt just felt right.. The last two seasons have been a mess, and I really hope everyone involved with this feels dumb for ruining a great show.. Camera guys getting involved, just out of ideas .. thanks dwight and Kevin for a few laughs RIP The Office.

44. Billy B. says:

Steve, take a hint from your fans! The least you could do is give us some kind of update on whats happened over the last TWO seasons without the best character! most of us will probably hate the show after the finale if it ends without Michael Scott.

45. cecgirl says:

I agree completely! The last two seasons without Steve is just pathetic and a weird universe of a place with some of our favorite careers, but their not funny. The story revolved around an office is an idiot boss with. Heart of gold, which made it work so well. Yet, now if the show would have premiered now it wouldn’t have lasted 3 episodes. Steve owes it to everyone to come back. He should have come back once or twice every season since he left. Hopefully this is a hoax! If he isn’t the star of the finale it will be a disappointing and crappy one. If Steve cares about any of his loyal fans please come back! Jan, Karen and even roy, as well as Todd packer.

46. FMFurian says:

“it didn’t make sense”? Michael Scott never made sense! That’s the reason he was funny. I think this is a great misleading.

47. Tom says:

I think Carell made the right decision. How many companies do you know where an employee leaves and then returns just to say hello? It’s weird and wouldn’t be realistic.

But most of all, the series took a steep nose dive after Carell left. It hasn’t readjusted since. I’d hate to see Carell associated with the show at this point. A guest appearance at this point couldn’t fix my disappointment with how the show has degraded.

48. Dave says:

Everyone should realize that Steve cares so much about the show and its plot not to come back to make it make sense. Classy move everyone will realize when it’s all said and done.

• Erik says:

Agreed!

If they brought him back for “one last goodbye” when the employees are likely staying put and living their lives even though we don’t see it played out on a documentary anymore–would be “forcing” a story arc that doesn’t fit. It would be stunt casting at this point and true fans of the show would be livid and likely accuse the writers of making a “jump the shark” move to quell the haters of Carell post Office.

Seriously people-go read something on TV writing and story and character development before you expose yourself as Cheeto-loving couch potatoes who are more concerned with seeing what they want and being entertained for the sake of being entertained instead of enjoying the show because it has integrity in its story and character choices.

Hats off Carell! You have my respect. It would have been great to see you but I wholeheartedly agree–it made ZERO sense.

49. John Plaster says:

I don’t normally comment on Internet articles, but I couldn’t resist this one. Steve Carell, simply put, is an A-Hole for this. Michael Scott IS The Office. I’m not one of the fanatics that blames the decline in show quality solely on his departure, but he is literally the character that brought everyone together. I’m so pissed off that he would do this. Don’t give us that crap about caring about the character. If he cared so much about the character, he would have let him live his full life in the series. This was the one thing I was looking forward to at the end of Season 9. I just wanted to see Michael Scott flick off the light of the office, and cut to black. Why would that have been so hard? Goodbye Michael was a half-a**ed send off, by the way. I can’t believe this.

It’s not a “classy move” either. He’s doing it for the money. It makes more sense financially for him to star in these blockbuster hits, rather than getting a little weekly paycheck.

I’ve been watching the show all 9 years. I’m 19 years old. I grew up with The Office and Michael Scott. For Michael not to be in the series finale is BS. If Steve Carell won’t do it, being in Ricky Gervais.

Steve, if you’re reading this, please. Do it for me.

50. Michael E says:

I feel many emotions for Steve’s decision, I do agree that Steve’s comment was very disepointing I did like the reality of Michael leaving in season 7. But what doesn’t make sense is that Steve doesn’t want to return, why wouldn’t he such a great show, even though season 8 was grouling to get through with out Michael I have enjoyed season 9 alot so far and I think it is completely insane to end the series without even mentioning Michael Scott at least just a glimpse of hi and Holly or even just his voice on a phone call would be the very least Steve could do for the show before it’s gone for good. On the goodbye Michael episode Michael and Erin had a conversation about Gabe and Andy, Michael mentioned that Erin had his phone number so it makes NO sense that he is barely metioned by Erin or any of the other characters. I think Steve’s decision is totally %100 wrong Michael Scott needs to return, and when I say that I don’t mean to work there again but just to atleast hear from him and Holly, I think that it would make perfect sense o see him again Michael always said and talked about how the whole office was a big family so it would NOT make sense for him to not make an appearance. Steve Carrel may not want to return but Michael Scott would.