Ratings: CSI Hits High, a Modern Low, Idol Dips

Ratings: CSI Hits Season HighCBS’ CSI showed some life this Wednesday, rising 17 percent week-to-week to hit a season high demo rating of 2.7. In total viewers, the long-running crime drama inched up 3 percent, to 11.5 million.

Leading into CSI, Criminal Minds had 11.74 million people show uo to give Reid a hug, while ticking up a tenth in the demo to 3.0.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

American Idol’s second Wednesday outing of Season 12 did 16 mil/5.4, down 10 percent from the week-ago opener.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: Do the Fight Thing

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.5 mil/2.5) and The Neighbors (6.3 mil/1.9) both ticked up, but Modern Family (10.8 mil/4.1) slipped 5 percent in the demo to a new season low. Suburgatory was flat at 6.3 mil/2.3. Nashville (5.5 mil/1.8) dropped 16 and 18 percent.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Tonight, the Heartache’s On Me

The CW’s Arrow (3.13 mil/1.1) was rock-steady, while Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.9) gained 4 percent in total audience.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Babybop says:

Yay, The Middle went up! More people need to watch it.

2. usanhasbestshows says:

phil was so funny last night modern family always delievers and the ending lol

3. usanhasbestshows says:

plus great cameo by judd nelson on neighbors didnt watch idol dont care as much

4. Chase says:

Wow…what a big drop for Nashville! It was a great episode too. Any possible explanations?

• Sam says:

Surprisingly big drop, especially considering Chicago Fire was a repeat last night. I’ve been watching both all season (usually DVR’ing Nashville) but I’ve definitely been enjoying CF more. Maybe I’m not the only one who found Nashville to be a bit of a let down considering how much the critics raved about it.

• wrstlgirl says:

Your not alone. I prefer Chicago Fire and DVR Nashville and watch on the weekend. Watched it live last night only because CF was a repeat.

• sharona says:

the explanation is CSI which is still strong after 13 years ;)

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Yep, I’m seeing the same thing – Nashville at some point in the next few episodes will need to turn things around and start moving the numbers upwards. The demo number is important, but sometimes that number can be pulled up a bit with DVR+ x numbers added in – although that may not help the advertisers in the 10pm hour. However, I’m also looking at the overall viewership numbers – 5.5m – that’s not sustainable. If they keep this up….

Why is this happening? My only guess is that now the storyline is so heavy on the ‘soap’ aspect, that the ‘Connie/Hayden factor’ and the music, which are the two pillars this show is built upon, are beginning to tip. This show will need either a significant storyline jolt [writers - please give Connie something to do!], or a guest-arc by someone soon – otherwise, we may be looking at viewership in the sub 5 million range – it’s over at that point. ABC cannot bring this show back next fall with those numbers. I recommended a move to Sundays at 9pm [next fall] last week on another posting – that’s the only hope. But if Nashville is picked up for next fall, it’s not coming back to Wed 10pm – that boat has sailed. Chicago Fire is picking up steam, and CSI (as another viewer noted) is still strong. Nashville’s only hope now is Sunday nights, 9 or 10pm. If ABC isn’t able/willing to make that move next fall, I’m sorry to say, I think it may be over….and that’s a shame. This cast is A+, the production of the show is A+. But this storyline needs a jolt of something – soon.

• elr says:

It could be that some of Nashville’s audience was watching the season finale of American Horror Story: Asylum (I know I was one of them)? Maybe now that it is over maybe Nashville’s numbers will go up.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Whoa, not good news for Nashville.

6. Chase says:

Not just the demo, but the drop in viewers is what is really astonishing for Nashville.

• chistosa says:

I don’t find it astonishing at all. I am one of those viewers who watched the first few episodes with high hopes. How could it miss with the music and the fabulous Connie Britton? But I have not watched it since and I no longer dvr it thinking maybe I’ll get to it. Far too soapy for my tastes. Too bad because it had promise but it turned trashy fast.

7. Eric A. Howard says:

I was laughing so hard at modern family’s”Godfather” references it was the best ending ever.

• Shaun says:

The drive by and running over the tree was hilarious.

• dan says:

The ending was the best part of the episode. Otherwise my wife and I both thought it was completely cliche (mother-in-law jokes; young kid mimics the adults) and unoriginal. The storyline w/Gloria’s sister made no sense and Phil’s problem with the balloons was just plain stupid. We thought it was the worst episode of the season (and we had high expectations going in based on previews). I will admit to laughing at a few of Cam’s lines and the Dunphy kids were funnier than most of the adults, but overall it wasn’t a great episode for our household.

8. Shaun says:

Wow,Nashville getting tanked!It was a pretty good episode,maybe the promotions are lacking?

• wrstlgirl says:

Not in my area. I’m constantly seeing NV promos whenever I’m watching ABC. Like every other commercial break. In fact my SO commented the other night about how much they are really pimping it.

9. So glad that Supernatural added some audience. I need the CW to go ahead and renew it now, so I’m not stressing about it.

10. shuayb says:

Modern Family only declined by 5%. Maybe people were out or something which can account for ratings drop but this was a funny ep! Cam and Mitch weren’t as irritating. Claire and rubbing the new baby scent was hillarious.

11. JoJo says:

Arrow and Supernatural are two of the biggest series on the CW..no need to worry they’ll both get renewed. Although I’ve been steady watching Nashville mainly because I love Hayden’s character..the series as a whole hasn’t really gotten good until the past 2 or so episodes so I’m not really surprised it’s losing the audience it once had..although I do hear it does well with DVR viewing. I plan to continue to watch the rest of this season but I doubt I’ll stick with it if it does get picked up for season 2.

12. Peggy says:

I watched “The Neighbors”. That show just makes me laugh and last night’s episode was awesome. Love the tribute to John Hughes and Judd Nelson showing up at the end.

13. jenna says:

The ending of Modern Family was pure gold.

14. forwarddad says:

Love Nashville. It’s getting better. Curious those that don’t watch anymore what do they want to change/happen?

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m still watching but if/when it gets canceled I won’t shed a tear. For me I want Juliette to shut the h*ll up, she grates on my last nerve. She was tolerable when she was with Sean. And if Deacon starts sleeping with her again I may throw in the towel. That really turned me off in the beginning.

15. darzy says:

I like Modern Family, but not thrilled with the addition of the baby. :P

16. Riley says:

Why doesn’t supernatural get a recap on this website? It wasn’t even mentioned in what to watch on wednesdays and it’s barely mentioned here. It sucks cause the show has the most loyal fans and it’s noticable that the majority of posts about it get a lot of comments.

17. Walkie says:

It’s looking like Modern Family is starting to slide. Next season will probably be their last.

• OMG says:

Based on ratings alone, it is their highest scripted show so it will not be cancelled and will be going on for years. In fact, ABC will probably insist on the writers continuing. However, if the writers insist and decide to end off, then they have to choice but to end or get new writers.

Just for your information, in 2009 when television ratings are a lot higher, Modern Family premiered to a 4.2 in demo and stayed in the 3s and it was enough to be a hit then. It is funny how a 4.2 now is a low and how it is being seen as something troublesome enough to end by the next season.