Exclusive First Look Photos: Once Upon a Time's Giant Meets His (Female) Jack

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

ABC’s Once Upon a Time will conjure a gender-bending twist with its next new episode (airing Feb. 10), when Jorge Garcia’s semi-gentle beanstalk resident makes the acquaintance of fated giant-killer Jack — played by Cassidy Freeman (Longmire, Smallville). And we’ve got a first look!

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop: Emma’s Baby Daddy Neal Cassidy Is a Keeper

In Season 2′s 13th episode, “Tiny,” Anton the Giant climbs down to the ground — against his brothers’ wishes — and attempts to befriend some humans, whose intentions may not be so noble. Among his new buds is Freeman’s Jack (which we’ll go out on a beanstalk limb and guess is short for Jacqueline…?).

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Get Scoop on Emma’s Love Life

Elsewhere in the hour, the Giant unleashes his vengeance on Storybrooke when a case of mistaken identity leads him to try to settle an old score with David (who, you remember, was born a twin); Greg questions Belle about what she saw on the night of his accident; and Mr. Gold and Emma take to the friendly skies to seek out Bae. (“You’re going to have to check your enchanted dagger, sir.”)

Once Upon a Time Season 2 Spoilers
Once Upon a Time Season 2 Spoilers

Comments (45)

• I love Cassidy Freeman, can’t wait!!

Comment by Kat – January 24, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, Jack will probably be an ‘item’ with the Giant.
      At this rate, I’m pretty sure Peter Pan will be cast as an underage girl that Hook somehow is attracted to.

Comment by Leo – January 26, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! Cassidy Freeman!!

Cool beans :)

Comment by Dee – January 24, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time is not afraid to show cleavage…

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 24, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahah, thought the same. Remember Red’s mom?
      One weird thing, tough, is that the Giant and Jack are the same size.

Comment by Olivia – January 24, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe someone in costuming at OUAT is looking for a job on Game of Thrones. Or they just really like boobies — even when the plot makes hanging them out there rather silly. Hopefully Jack, unlike Belle on her beast hunt, tucks her twins into something more suitable when she gets with the giant slaying.

Comment by ej – January 24, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on My Tiny Obsessions and commented:
    Great to see Cassidy Freeman!!!

Comment by MyTinyObsessions – January 24, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snore…. OUAT is boring me this season.

Comment by Jake – January 24, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do not like cassidy freeman!

Comment by Nola – January 24, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cassidy -but are the producers aware how many female characters there are already in the show to introduce another. It would be nice to have another heroic male character besides Charming. Unless there is a quota that shows like these can only have one male heroic character. Anyhow, I’m sure I’m going to like Cassidy’s version of Jack. Just would like a little more gender balance.

Comment by William – January 24, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t that the point? That in traditional fairy tales the girls need to get rescued and spend most of the time cursed waiting for the men to come do the heavy lifting? But Once is finally giving them the chance to do things for themselves! Men have enough chances on TV, I like the heroines on Once.

Comment by Alice – January 24, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh. Yes, THAT’s what this show needs. More men.Not.

Comment by xav – January 24, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gender balance? How many years have women had to play “the girlfriend” or “the eye candy”. Finally women are getting the chance to play complicated, smart, interesting roles and you just want yet another male hero. There has been decades and decades of male heroes. I’m glad ONCE is loading their cast with heroic women.

Comment by Seriously? – January 24, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also very ok with the slightly female-heaviness of Once. There are certainly plenty of shows out there with 20 guys and one woman.

Comment by J – January 24, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the fact that OUAT has so many strong women is part of what makes it so great. I really don’t need another Charming type of character.

Comment by Paula – January 24, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Especially since Charming is the weakest character on the show.

Comment by xav – January 24, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed.

Comment by Lenn – January 24, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except he’s not? But you probably think Rumple and Hook are “good men” and that everyone is mean to “poor” Regina

Comment by Anna – January 24, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • *headdesk*

Comment by Nath – January 24, 2013 03:23 PM PDT
    • It would be nice to have some male influence to actually enjoy. Every guy on this show is either evil, dead & only in flashbacks, barely in the show, or related to Emma.

The empowered female take is great. It’s just tiresome having every arc following that same line. Pretty much every story is, “watch this ‘twist,’ where the female saves the day.” Which was great at first, but it’s getting boring. Emma, Snow, Milan, and Aurora being over there was terrible.

Keep the strong females, keep that in the majority, but bring in *some* decent, not boring, good guys. They don’t have to save the day, or be the hero. I just don’t want them to be dumb, or evil (or ‘sexy’ evil, as is often the case on this show). We don’t need men to save us, but we don’t need them to be wet blankets either. We can have some equality, wouldn’t that more inspiring? I’d rather have good men working *with* these wonderful women- not above them or below.

Comment by JenB – January 24, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see more of the men we already know, Jefferson, Neal, August.

Comment by Tess – January 24, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pleaseeeeeeee. Bring me back my Augie and my babby daddy! hahaha

Comment by Olivia – January 24, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Tess we need to see some some of the men that we saw in the first season like August, Jefferson and Bay they bought a sense of realism to Storybrooke especially August who like Emma came from world outside of Storybrooke, I found his character to be a lot easier to relate to then some of the other male characters in the show so please bring him back.

Comment by AC – January 26, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jorge Garcia is a great actor, I hope this time he will have more acting material than “groaaar I am an angry giant groaar”.

Comment by Azerty – January 24, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is anyone else questioning how Jack and the Giant are the same size in the photo????? he is a GIANT and she is not. Wonder how they deal with this. Does he become our size when he is on the ground in FTL or did he drink a potion?

Comment by Josh – January 24, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wondered the same thing. Great to see Cassidy Freeman again although the fact that “Jack’s” skeleton was found in the giant’s lair doesn’t bode well. Would be nice if Jack were still alive. Like Lancealot – really liked his introduction & was disappointed that he died.

Comment by Ella – January 24, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe she’s dead, maybe she isn’t. Just because her sword was left behind, doesn’t mean that she is. And I don’t think Lancelot is dead either. Just because Cora says so, doesn’t mean it’s true.

Comment by Mary – January 24, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the trailer for this week’s episode it had the Giant on Hook’s ship, and he was railing at Cora that she shrunk him…that may tie in somehow.

Comment by Anissa – January 24, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe he took Steve Martin’s advice to “Get small”. LOL

Comment by Templar – January 25, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Jack borrow her wardrobe from Regina?

Comment by Michelle – January 24, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, the fact that they HAD to make one of the few male leads in a fairytale female is annoying as hell, and the last thing OUAT needs is a new female character, but at least it’s not a woman who is avenging the death of a male loved one, nor a princess, and she’s most likely going to die in the same episode she appears in, which would be what, the fifth time it happened this season?, but this time I’ll let it slide.

Besides, wasn’t OUAT the show in which we’d ‘meet’ Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, and find out Jack wasn’t as nice as we might think…

Comment by Marco – January 24, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Cassidy, but I am also a bit disappointed. With most of the fairy tale lead men being essentially interchangeable princes (Prince Charming is actually Cinderella’s prince, but it hardly matters that he was cuckolded by Snow in OUAT), this was kind of a downer for me.

On the other hand, I’m pleased with Jack being an antagonistic character. In the original versions of the story (going back like 500 years or so), Jack isn’t really a hero in the Viking tale, and there’s no reason other than implied greed for him killing the giant. With all of the ways in which the writers have muddled and mashed up their fairy tales on this show to make them stray rather glaringly from the stories they’re based on, it’s nice that at least one story, at its moral theme, seems to be a more authentic take on the original than the fanciful Edwardian reinterpretations that Disney took to heart. So, switching Jack’s Y chromosome for an X is perhaps a small price to pay. We’ll see!

Comment by ej – January 24, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks beautiful in that picture! Love her.

Comment by Jerm – January 24, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Cassidy Freeman…can’t wait.

Comment by Vannesa – January 24, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they please have Sayid from Lost be Aladdin?

Comment by Samantha – January 24, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good Lord I hope not. He’d ruin a beloved character. Aladdin was always so cute too and that actor is not.

Comment by Mark – January 24, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I go with you there: Naveen wouldn’t make a good Aladdin for me, but I think the story around Aladdin and Jasmin revolved when they where very young and that might be my problem.
        Only if they had the two as the two as grown up rulers of their realm…
        But if you saw Naveen in Sindbad you could argue that he might try at Jafar

Comment by Michael Klaus – January 26, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping they get Sendhil Ramamurthy [Covert Affairs] as Aladdin.

Comment by Templar – January 25, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that they love to have a twist on every story, but seriously?! Can’t Jack just be Jack? Why Jack needs to be a woman?!?!?!! I’m getting tired of this…

Comment by Lilith – January 24, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering if we were going to find out that Charming was actually Jack — since we never knew shepherd!charming’s name I thought that might be where they were headed.

Comment by Ella B. – January 24, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have any feeling any way towards the gender of Jack I think making Jack a woman. What I do have a problem with is having Cassidy be a brunette as this character like would her having her signature red hair really been that bad? are they holding out on red heads until the day they bring in Ariel (if that ever happens). But I must say it is nice to see some parts of Cassidy we have never really been able to see in the past. ;)

Comment by Samuel – January 24, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^Well you certainly didn’t watch Smallville’s season 10, episode ”Kent”…. If you do, you won’t be disappointed! Hahaha

Comment by Jazz – January 26, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cassidy Freeman! Can’t wait! I haven’t seen her since Smallville ended!!!

Comment by Firelight19 – January 29, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show so much and when season 1 end like that i started crying and netflix would soon have season 2 soon :)

Comment by hot person – February 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post