Dexter Taps Sean Patrick Flanery for Season 8

Get More: Casting News

flanery blogSean Patrick Flanery will lend Dexter some Indy cred when he plays a major part in the Showtime drama’s upcoming eighth season.

The actor formerly known as the title role in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles joins the cabler as Jacob Elroy, a former cop-turned-private eye in Miami, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Dexter Adds New Blood in Season 8 — Does It Signal the Beginning of the End for Dex?

Since playing the young Dr. Jones in the prequel adventure series, Flanery’s TV credits have included The Young and the RestlessCSI, Stephen King’s Dead Zone and Breaking In.

In related news, veteran British actress Charlotte Rampling (The Avengers original TV series) also has joined Dexter as a neuro-psychiatrist and atypical profiler with a penchant for working with deeply disturbed youth, EW.com reports.

RELATED | Dexter Boss Discusses the Impact of Deb’s Deadly Choice, Plus: Who’ll Be Back in Season 8?

As Showtime boss David Nevins announced at the Television Critics Association winter press tourDexter will return in June — months earlier than in past years — for its eighth (but possibly not final) season.

“I’m not making any announcements today about when Dexter will end,” he said at the time. “I think I will clarify [things] before Dexter goes on the air [in June]. There’s a clear endgame in place, [but] I can’t talk about it just yet.”

Got theories about how Flanery and Rampling’s characters will affect Dexter and Deb in the season ahead? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (12)

• He was also in a little movie called Boondock Saints…

Comment by Renda – January 24, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^^ was totally just going to say that!

Comment by Hyde – January 24, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Came here to say that as well!

Comment by Troy – January 24, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me three!!

Loved the brotherly bond in that movie, it was great.

Comment by ninamags – January 24, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice. I like him. Now, please Sigourney Weaver for Dr. Vogel part. Pretty please.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 24, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I swear I saw somewhere earlier that they cast Dr. Vogel already. Oh, it says up there it’s Charlotte Rampling. Probably got added in later.

Comment by Emily – January 24, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I hope Dexter’s final year is more satisfying than Saw’s last film. Flanery, it’s on you.

Comment by Matt Thompson – January 24, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Young Indiana Jones television series and TV movies. Talk about shows that got cancelled to soon. That is one for sure.
    But I am sure Sean will bring a great energy to Dexter. Please don’t let him turn out to be a bad guy. Maybe he can be the guy who finally takes down Dexter himself.

Comment by Gerald – January 24, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh… My… God… The star of The Devils Carnival!! I think i just fangasmed!!! :D xx

Comment by Naomi – January 24, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him. Better catch up on 8 seasons worth of Dexter in the next couple of months!!!

Comment by Sparky – January 24, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was negative about watching at first. The storyline didn’t appeal to me. But I decided to try it.. now I can’t get enough… :-)

Comment by Vanny – January 25, 2013 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just died and went to heaven! Love him. Hope this season of Dexter is better…

Comment by Vanny – January 25, 2013 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post