Exclusive: Maria Bello Exits Fox's Touch

Maria Bello Leaving TouchMaria Bello is out of Touch.

Literally.

The Prime Suspect actress — who joined Fox’s Kiefer Sutherland drama at the end of Season 1 and was upgraded to a series regular ahead of the about-to-premiere second season — has left the series, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Touch Stages a 24 Reunion

Reps for Fox and 20th Century Television declined to comment, but multiple sources confirm that the exit was a mutual decision between Bello and Touch producers.

It’s unclear how or when Bello’s Lucy character will be written out of the show, which wrapped production on Season 2 last week (Bello remains a series regular throughout the season). The show returns with a two-hour episode on Friday, Feb. 8.

1. nitemar says:

Hope she gets better show offer.

2. Belle says:

That’s odd…not enough chemistry with Keifer? I think the show is a good concept, just poorly executed. Maybe they should scrap “Touch” completely and find other shows for them both. She was good in an ensemble cast (E.R.) but she just doesn’t seem to have the ‘umpf’ to lead a network show.

3. mia says:

This just reminds me of how much I missed her version of Prime Suspect. That was a damn good show.

4. Moonlight4ever says:

Would much rather have Kim Raver in the role. However, she is busy with Revolution.

5. Joe says:

I bet the show won’t see season 3 , ( I totally forgot about this show , I sure I’m not alone on this )

6. emor says:

What!!! A uselessly added character in the second season of a Tim Kring production left half way through the season. I am shocked!! (Not really.)

7. Jason says:

Maria Bello can never stay employed on an ensemble TV show. Take ER for example…. Wish her all the best.

8. tp says:

She really can’t catch a break.

9. fanfaren says:

Oh no. I want to see her on tv. She’s awesome!

10. Coop says:

She was on ER for a while, and did fine with a larger cast around. She and Keifer just don’t mesh…nothing against her, but she is not lead roll material on TV. I forgot about Touch, and probably won’t try it again. Retooling is code for won’t last much longer – if it comes back I predict May will bring the end of this show. Good concept, poor casting and execution of the entire thing.

11. JoJo says:

How is this show not cancelled?..do people still watch this show??

12. JT says:

Don’t be surprised in a couple of weeks or months so, we hear she got hired for a lead role on a new sitcom. Just saying. But I wish her the best.

13. Brendan says:

I think Annie Wersching, who is set to appear as a guest star on that show, will be a nice replacement for Bello if the show has a chance for renewal in the third season.

14. Alan says:

I would actually prefer it if they dropped Kiefer’s boring as hell Dad and kept her on as Lucy. Her ep was the series high (which wasn’t difficult).

15. linda lawrence says:

I like the show and found the season 2 opener much improved. I hate to see people not give it a chance, without watching the new season at all. of course, it got scheduled on Friday night, which is a handicap. it’s opposite Shark Tank and CSI New York. So, I record it. Hope it either gets renewed or ties up the plot ending if it gets canceled!

16. Keith Hammond says:

If they want to continue with the Lucy character, the producers should just hire Mary McCormack. I’ve never been able to tell them apart, most people might not even notice!

17. Danny says:

Dumb writing – Social services takes the boy (Sparked by him climbing a cell phone tower..) claiming his father is not qualified..to keep his own son.. and THEN.. this dumb SSworker loses the boy back to a cell phone tower.. and has the nerve to come back to the father and tell him he is incompetent.. and we may need to take him away from you again… Whoever wrote that part is a moron or thinks the audience is.

18. danielle says:

I personally really enjoy the show and I feel the second season is better than the first. The first season became too predictable but I liked it which made me interested to see the second. This season I am blown away at the creativity. Want to add too that lucy is a great actress, really, but not at all for this show…she does seem out of touch.

19. Rakel says:

WHHAT….I liked the first season but I loved the 2 one and I thought Maria and Keifer had a grate cemastry, I was so looking forward to see it grow, I am really sad that she’s not coming back, She is a awesome actress and a grate human being wish here all the best <3 <3

20. Rachel S. says:

Aaaanndddd they do >>this<< to get rid of her character.

I just died a lot inside.

21. jenny says:

I love this show, it is great, Keifer is acting like he did on 24, this is a great storyline. This is the new 24, love it love it love it

22. Carly says:

Really dumb move ~ loved this character ~ lost me as a viewer ~ tired of always having a character ripped away in a violent way.

23. Rick says:

I guess this is the only way to bring Gugu Mbatha-Raw back on the show.

24. CS says:

I love the show and love how season 2 developed. Disappointed that she will be leaving. I was hoping something would develop between Lucy and Martin. :)

25. Paul Mandic says:

I was so happy when I saw the end of her character. I liked her as reccuring, but later on she had some really terrible acting moments. But maybe it’s not her fault, I think script could be much better. I couldn’t believe what have writers picked to happen in some scenes. Like when Jake suddenly goes somewhere, and Martin yells at him, instead of just following him, or when Guillermo gets multiple direct shot wounds and still menages to flee the scene. Come on people, who can survive that (guy, earlier in that episode, died from only one shot from same gun)? I’m sorry if I spoiled something, I tried my best not to.

26. chet says:

The show isnt coming back for a 3rd season

27. mary says:

I only started to really enjoy with Maria…she had a personality and offset Keith’s constant whispering monotone …what does Keith’s character do for a living anyway…doesn’t work and travels everywhere…is his character weathy??must have missed that info..

• Jeff says:

Yes. He got money from his wife dying on 9/11. Btw on another note. I love this show. But if they do cancel this show I want them to tie up all the loose ends and fit crying out loud I want jake to start talking. Lol. I wanna hear more than just ”Find Him”

28. marko says:

meh, can’t believe she left!….she had such great chemistry and she made the show alot more lively and interesting. this really sucks! she should have never left! #pissedoff

29. ACooke108 says:

Her leaving made me a bit angry, because it obviously forced the writers to alter the script in a way that they otherwise wouldn’t have had to. Geez, what was her problem?

30. Earlene says:

Love the show. Love it love it love it!!

31. mopcambm says:

I really liked her character, Lucy, who brought some life into the little boy, Jake. I have become quite the Maria Bello fan since Prime Suspect. I thought she grounded Jake and his father and made them almost a family. By treating her character the way that they did, it was reminiscent of 24, and that is not what this show started out as. The powers that be should not have let her go. I thought her and Kiefer had great chemistry that bordered on a respect for each other’s needs and troubles. I really question whether I want to continue watching this show or not.

32. Cindy says:

I thought the love angle they were showing on the last episode was great and would of been a great lead in for season 3. What the heck happened she should of stayed on and let it play out I thought she helped the show play out great and brought a lot to it I`m sure a lot of fans are going to miss her as for me I like her work. Hope to see her in something else soon.

33. Michelle says:

I really liked her character as she added that insightful compassion and curiosity as a mother. I am very disappointed that her character has been terminated. It is a very male dominated show although there are other women but they have been given male traits in their roles. I felt that Lucy brought an openness that helped both jake and Marc to see beyond the numbers and clues to make it personal with feeling and meaning. She was a desperate character which is what made her a good balance for the factual, timelines jake and Marc duo.

34. timothy says:

Its a good decision Maria Bello wanted a bigger part in a bigger mini series she was being wasted on Touch anyway I wish her all the best hopefully she will land a role in a major blockbuster

35. Patty says:

I was surprised there wasn’t an episode on Friday night, April 12, 2013. I thought I saw a coming attraction for it. We tape it as a series so we don’t miss an episode.

36. Chris says:

I love this show! Can’t wait till next season.

37. hannah says:

Second season, I kept contemplating whether I would watch the next episode, I suppose I always did thanks to hulu.

I liked Sutherland, but agree with most of the above posts that Bello couldn’t pull off his supporting role. Not enough chemistry and I didn’t think she fit. Also, got tired of the entire show’s writing. Like why is Dad always telling Jake what to do? “Stay in the car.”, “wait here.”, “don’t leave.” Jake never listened and was supposed to be a higher being, enough with that over and over same script of being an overprotective dad pretending to assert power over an autistic child. Just follow that kid around like happens every week!

Also couldn’t stand avram and his holy roller accent. Like everything he said had the same pitch of an enlightened and wise statement. Even his “good mornings” with his arms at his sides slowly but enthusiasticly raising to the sky.

Bummed it got cancelled although was sick of the aster corp angle without jake also bringing people together like he used to, to quiet his pain. I’m not sure how it went from playing chess and games in some grimy closed down mental hospital, to a global, multi-billion $, slick corporation that ran multiple guantanamo-esk sites, but it did. Hope to see sutherland and whomever played Amelia in other stuff. Not sure who played jake but couldn’t really get a bead on him with all that arms to the side head forward stuff. Bello… not sure if I care if I see her on the screen again. But any way it’s sliced, I’m confident the writing ruined this show, not the idea or even the inconsistency of the actors.

38. TJ says:

This show just got more convoluted with every episode and never figured out what it wanted to be. The first season was one-shot storylines that seemed to make more sense of the boy’s special gift inadvertently helping the lives of others, which was exactly like the premise that Kiefer kept explaining in promoting the show: that the Chinese proverb about all humans being connected by the same thread. Yet, with the ratings dropping, the 2nd season seemed intent on drawing all kinds of outside references in a band-aid mode to keep viewers interested – be it the addition of Bello (who I like a lot) or the various alumni from “24” that made guest appearances. The concept of a mute boy, with a confused father, had some intrigue at first but after 30+ episodes, how much could viewers be expected to take of dealing with the 2 main characters communicating strictly through Kiefer’s shouting or cliched phrases. In the end, the show that was about connecting people ended up being a disconnected story that was “out of touch” with its intended viewing audience. I also found Kiefer’s acting to be a bit redundant and conservative in re-enacting many of the mannerisms, clothing and speech patterns of his Jack Bauer character. It almost felt like he wanted desperately to relive that role (which, thankfully, FOX will now allow him to do) – I never believed him in the role as a journalist or grieving single father.

39. TJ says:

As I said, I really like Bello – not only for her realism as a woman of natural beauty and inherent character but for her ability to convey a wide range of emotions. However, neither her work on “Touch” or on “Prime Suspect” was altogether pleasing or appealing – both shows mimicked themselves in her roles as jaded, chip-on-your-shoulder females that kind of became annoying traits to watch repeatedly. Her filmwork far surpassed what she delivered on TV.