Ratings: Private Practice Up With Series Finale, The Taste Tops Night, Dixie Ties Season High

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Ratings: Private Practice Series FinalePrivate Practice went out on a (relatively) high-ish note on Tuesday, delivering its largest audience (5.2 million total viewers) and best 18-49 demo rating (1.5) since early October.

Week-to-week, the drama was up 17 and 42 percent.

RELATED | Red Our Private Practice Finale Recap, and Grade the Episode

Setting the table (as it were,) for PPP was ABC’s two-hour premiere of The Taste, which led all of Tuesday programming with a 2.2 rating while drawing 6 million total viewers. An NCIS repeat drew the night’s biggest audience, with 12.7 mil.

Over on The CW, Hart of Dixie saw its third-largest audience of the season (1.54 million viewers) and matched its season-high demo rating (set by the premiere) of 0.7, up a tenth week-to-week. Emily Owens. M.D. (1.4 mil/0.5) rose 36 percent and two tenths.

RELATED | TVLine’s Always-Updated 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Of Fox’s comedy megablock, Raising Hope (4.05 mil/1.7) was up 12 percent and a tenth, Ben and Kate (2.64 mil/1.2) rose 20 percent and a tenth and New Girl (4.05 mil/2.1) saw 11 percent gains. The Mindy Project (3 mil/1.5) added a few viewers but was flat in the demo.

RELATED | Parenthood Finale Recap: Sarah Makes Her Choice, Kristina Receives a New Diagnosis, Amber Follows Her Heart and More

Leading out of Betty White’s Off Their Rockers (which averaged 5.8 mil/1.7), NBC’s Go On (4 mil/1.3) and The New Normal (3.3 mil/1.2) dropped 24 and 14 percent in the demo respectively, with each hitting all-time lows. Parenthood‘s Season 4 finale (4.8 mil/1.7) dipped two tenths week-to-week but still bested PPP and a Vegas repeat in the demo.

Comments (29)

• Hart of Dixie continues to be a solid performer for the CW. Happy to see it up in both viewers and demo.

Comment by JoJo – January 23, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Hart of Dixie! Zoe & Wade are awesome together. It is the sweetest, funniest show on TV.

Comment by Tracy – January 23, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yea for hart of dixie surprised about the taste numbers didnt think it would have good ratings it looks so stupid

Comment by ollie – January 23, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and yea for raising hope. last night ep was hillarous

Comment by ollie – January 23, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, good to know PP went out “relatively highish”!

Comment by Mark222 – January 23, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Hart of Dixie. This show makes me smile.

Comment by Rebecca – January 23, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear about Hart of Dixie.

Comment by Beth – January 23, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot believe that The Taste led the night. How stupid but great news for hart of Dixie and the Fox comedies.

Comment by Boiler – January 23, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear about Hart of Dixie! It was a really funny episode for people to watch last night. This show has really been on fire this season! They have made only a few, subtle changes but it has really made all the difference. I wish more people would watch!

If anyone tried it out last season but gave up, you should really come back and give it a second spin! Everyone is having fun and the writing has been so much funnier (for Scott Porter especially)! The heartbreak has been subtle yet emotional and the romance has been so sweet (totally heart Wade and Zoe).

Comment by KK – January 23, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG yes! I agree the changes to Hart of Dixie has made all the difference, and I love Zoe and Wade, glad that they made it clear that Wade and Zoe have a chance at a future together :)

Comment by peacelight – January 23, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An I the only one that thought the taste was terrible?

Comment by Milah – January 23, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just curious (and probably the last time I’ll get a chance to ask)…why is PPP the abbreviation for Private Practice, and not PP? :-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 23, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I purposely trotted out that vexing/”annoying” abbreviation one last time here ;) “Private Practice Program” (since saying “PP” invariably elicits schoolkid giggles).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – January 23, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • MWM, Alright already. Give it a rest. A network show with 1.5 demo gets this much attention from you guys? So much else is on to talk smart about.

Comment by Sue – January 23, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! So, you’re depriving us of the fun of saying PP to ourselves? Oh well, there are other contexts in which to use it (such as, someone must have gone PP in Sue’s Corn Flakes). :-D

Comment by TV Gord – January 24, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will miss PP on tuesdays!

Comment by mmy – January 23, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hart of Dixie, last night made me want George and Zoe together even more. Do love wade though. Thanks for clarification on PPP, it’s always bugged me but I’ve never gotten around to asking about it.

Comment by Lilacbarries – January 23, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved the few moments of Zoe and George that I had. I don’t watch it anymore because I don’t care for Wade and Zoe pairing. Since that is the way the story is going I took it off my season pass. I’m happy for the fans though.

Comment by tp – January 23, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t bode well for Carrie Diaries that the cancelled run-off episodes of Emily Owens are beating it by upwards of 40%. Frankly, I think the CW pulled the plug on the charming Emily Owens, MD *much too quickly.* I don’t know what their expectations were, but I’m quite sure they didn’t think it would be vastly outperforming their much-buzzed-about new SATC prequel. Viewers are weird and fickle. Who knows what they want? I do know I’d rather have EOMD than CD. Sorry, it’s true.

Comment by Jason – January 23, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES un-cancel this now cw!

Comment by Joe – January 23, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in CT and the CW shows were not on last night. They had college hockey on instead. Makes no sense. I will have to hunt down the Hart of Dixie ep now. I love George and Zoe.

Comment by MGL – January 23, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy Emily Owens was up this week but unfortunately, the CW already cancelled it… I love this show ! It is refreshing, the cast is good and better than The Carrie Diaries (in which AnnaSophia Robb is good, by the way, but the rest of the cast…). It is different than any other show on the CW ! People are still watching it ! Sorry, just feeling frustrated by the cancellation :-) !

Comment by Lili – January 23, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, wish it wouldn’t be cancelled !! I feel the same for it as I do Drop Dead Diva…sigh.

Comment by Jo – January 23, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hart of Dixie. This is one of my fun, happy shows. It just makes me smile.

Comment by sa – January 23, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Raising Hope!

Comment by Babybop – January 23, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice – you will be missed! :)

Comment by Raver – January 23, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Zoe and Wade are fanfavorite couple on Hart of Dixie, but Im hoping in the future they explore her relationship with George. I thought they had very sweet, subtle chemistry based on mutual understanding, culture and intelligence.

Plus main heroine of a show cant be tied down to ONE male for the entirety. I dont think we are done with Zoe and George just yet :) hopefully wink wink

Comment by jjovana3 – January 24, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice People…..Per Tim Daley

Comment by N – January 25, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love Emily Owens md….genuine honest show…look forward to it every week….uncancel please

Comment by beewat – January 26, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post