Exclusive

Finale Post Mortem: Parenthood Boss on Sarah's 'Wrenching' Decision! Plus -- Season 5 Scoop!

Parenthood Season 5 SpoilersIt takes a lot to walk off with “biggest emotional twist” honors in a Parenthood episode that features a pregnancy, a cancer resolution, an adoption and two admissions to college.

Congratulations, Sarah and Amber. You killed us during the Season 4 finale Tuesday night. Now can you please pass the Kleenex?

Here, showrunner Jason Katims discusses the heartbreaking dissolution of Sarah’s Hank/Mark love imbroglio and Amber’s major move toward finally finding happiness. The Parenthood boss also weighs in on the possibility of a fifth season for the NBC drama — and previews which up-in-the-air cast members might return to take part.

RELATED | Parenthood Finale: Sarah Makes Her Choice, Kristina Receives a New Diagnosis and More

TVLINE | Was there ever a scenario that had Sarah choosing Mark over Hank?
It was up in the air. We definitely had a theory of where we would go in the end, but this one was something we explored all different options for. We did like the idea that she would wind up without either of the two of them in the end. Even though she made the choice of Hank, he was leaving so it wasn’t all tied up in a bow. That just felt right for where it was going. So, where we ended up was the direction we had kind of mapped out from the beginning — but we did think about changing that. A lot of the moves that we made story-wise along the way were different than what we started out thinking would happen. It wasn’t a straight line at all.

TVLINE | It almost seemed as though Sarah was trying to convince herself that Hank was the right choice — even as she was saying goodbye to Mark. Was that purposeful on your part? Or just the way the actors played it?
That’s one of the things you get when you have actors like Lauren Graham and Jason Ritter playing those scenes; you get nuance and layers that are beyond what you could have imagined when writing the scene. I felt like Sarah was struggling with the decision even as she was making it, absolutely. And I think that made the story feel even more real. I felt very much with her as she was making those decisions, as opposed to thinking, ‘Oh my god, how could you talk to Mark that way?’ I do think that it was what we intended, but as you see the scenes, it’s even more wrenching than what the writers had intended.

TVLINE | Should the show receive a fifth season, is the door officially closed on Mark? And what’s the plan for Hank?
When it comes to both Jason Ritter and Ray Romano, I feel like we have to think about those stories in a way where it’s a possibility that it will end their arc. The availability of those actors we just don’t know. They’re both wonderful actors, very much in demand. We’ve been so lucky to have both of those guys on the show — Ray for the whole season, and Jason for a good chunk of the series. And as you can see with Jason’s arc over the course of the series, he’s come back and forth based on his availability. [Laughs] We didn’t really intend for it to close the door on either of the actors…. We don’t know what’s going to happen next year because we don’t yet know if we have a next season, but the process will hopefully be that we do get an other season and at that point we’ll let story drive these decisions.

TVLINE | On the other end of the spectrum, Ryan left off in such a great place, particularly with Amber. Is the hope to bring Matt Lauria back so that you can explore a new chapter of their story?
Again, it goes to all of those questions about whether Matt’s around and available and interested, and also there’s a storytelling point of view. But I do think the relationship between Amber and Ryan was much more than what we had ever imagined. Those two actors together, there was such great chemistry and it was so wonderful watching them do scenes together. As a result, the storyline with Ryan started expanding over the season, and we wanted to [end with] the promise of it expanding further. I hope that it does work out to explore that relationship more because I think it’s been a really great one. I talk about this with Mae [Whitman] all the time: if you look at Amber, where she started in the pilot episode to where she’s come, it’s been such a coming-of-age story. To see her becoming a young adult and watching Mae find every layer there is to find in that is really great and something that isn’t often depicted at that particular age — at least not the way we’re attempting to do. And this relationship with Ryan has been a huge step for Amber, in watching her grow and mature.

TVLINE | It was no doubt a packed finale, but was there anything you would’ve liked to include but just didn’t have enough time for?
Well, we always knew it was going to be 15 episodes, so we knew how to design the season. So, if something felt too fast, you can’t really blame me. [Laughs] No, we knew all along, and more of less, we knew what it was going to be. It’s the nature of the show [for a lot to happen] because there are multiple storylines. You do feel that you owe the audience to get to somewhere in the end. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a complete resolution and it doesn’t necessarily have to be a huge cliffhanger, but I do feel like you want to get everybody to a place where you feel like there’s an end to their journey that season.

TVLINE | One rumor floating around is that NBC will renew Parenthood, but for a fifth and final season. Have you heard anything about that? And what would your thoughts be on ending the show next year?
Selfishly, I really love this show. I love the process of doing the show, I love the process of telling stories that mirror the things that are important in life. I actually feel like this season we’re just growing creatively, especially as the season went on. So, if we did get another season, I don’t personally feel that it has to be the final season of the show, from a creative standpoint or from my investment in doing the show. And I think the cast and the crew would agree with that. It’s a show everybody loves to do. There are many factors involved, however, that I don’t influence. I have not heard that rumor — that if they order another season it’d be the last. I will say the one thing that I would like is that when it does come to it being our final season, I would love to be in a position of knowing that early on. I would love to be able to write toward however we want to leave these characters that we’ve grown to love so much… That’s not always a possibility, and I think it’s probably rare in television to have that. [Laughs] But I would love to be able to know ahead of time. The network [is in] the thick of pilot season, so I don’t think the future of Parenthood is what they’re thinking about at the moment; they’ll get to that in a little bit, and we’ll see.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Interviews, Scoop

1. Michael says:

I want to see John Corbett featured more. He’s an amazing character. And bring back Gabby!

• wordsmith says:

While I would love nothing more than to have Minka Kelly on my TV screen again, I think bringing Gabby back would be a waste of her talents. Max has moved past the stage where he needs her, and Crosby and Jasmine have moved on as well.
      John Corbett I could totally see them bringing back, however – though I”m not exactly eager to see a reconciliation with him and Sarah.

• dude says:

Agreed. I love Minka Kelly and I was so happy that they chose to bring her over from Friday Night Lights but I really think her story is done. Bringing her back would be a waste when she really belongs as the star of her own show.

• JonnyMo says:

Gabby’s better!

2. Raelene says:

One of my favourite shows on TV, great actors, fantastic story lines and it always leaves me feeling something either happiness or very emotional. Will be very sad if NBC can’t see what a jewel they have. Thank you Parenthood loved this season, can’t wait for the next one!

3. sarah says:

I do not see the part with the up in the air characters, besides Hank and Mark.

4. Sam says:

Once again Lauren Graham plays a character who has a habit of choosing the wrong men.

• em g says:

but she does make it effortless

• lh says:

omg hank is so much better than mark. hate the whole cougar thing going on there and his character is just so immature I think he makes her look like a goof, especially when he was her son’s teacher.

• amelia bedelia says:

How is mark’s character immature? Sarah is a bimbo. She sleeps around and makes horrible decisions regarding herself and her kids. I know that is probably suppose to be a the point of her character but this season it was a bit too much to take. She made watching this season tough and tough if it comes back for another season to sit through again if they bring back her boy toys, Hank and mark

• Kris Craig says:

I think she made the right choice with Hank. Mark was a nice guy but just seemed a bit too…. vanilla…. for Sarah. He’s also way too passive-aggressive. Hank is socially awkward and brutally honest but there’s also a basic kindness to his character that comes out when he’s with Sarah. I think the two actors had a very good chemistry that made their story arc feel natural instead of forced.

• a_friend_in_me says:

Not to mention the alcoholic aspect that she is already familiar with from her ex-husband. They could write some pretty heart-wrenching stuff if they brought back Hank. It was kinda final the way they sent his character to live with his daughter. Looks like he won’t be coming back for another season. It would require some fancy footwork to get him and Sarah back together. The love that Sarah and Mark have for each other can be re-kindled at any time. They left that door open, just a crack. I would like to see them get back together.

5. Erin says:

I’m so glad she didn’t choose Mark. It would be such a let down for her character to show her going “back” again. She needs to grow and move forward and I have to disagree with what Mark said in that when he and Sarah are together and alone is great. I never got the chemistry between them at all.

6. Linderella says:

I might be in the minority here, but this episode felt like a series ender even with the ambiguity of whether or not she would let Hank go or move with him. I actually believe the right guy for Sarah would be a sober Seth (John Corbett). Maybe that’s a possibility if there is a 5th season. It was a great season regardless. I’m still amazed this show has not received a Peabody Award but maybe that’s also in the future.

• Kyle says:

I totally agree, if this ends up being the series finale I’ll be totally content with that, I feel like everyone’s in a good place now and I’d be happy with how their storylines wrapped up. Crossing my fingers for more seasons, though!

• Sue says:

It would be great to have Hank and Seth go up against each other. I think Hank can handle Seth better than Mark can.

• Elle says:

I think Hank is a great character–definitely want more of him!

• KathyNYC says:

Hank couldn’t even handle Mark…LOL He just lucked out that Sarah chose him. So I don’t think Hank can handle Seth better than Mark. Actually Mark handled Seth just fine. I do think Seth and Hank are more equal because they have both lived their relationship with Sarah selfishly, taking what they needed without much concern to what she needs. Actually Seth did at the end, when he left her with Mark because she was happy. Hank just interfered with an engaged couple until Sarah saw he needed her and then when she was there for him, he left her.

• amelia bedelia says:

thank thank thank you. Why can’t Seth and Sarah be successful parents together and nothing more? When Sarah and Hank were together he never courted her,they argued about his true feelings for her and had sex. Then all of sudden she is like I love you and wants to “get her life together”. Gee…in true bimbo fashion, a month after her engagement ended she is shaking up and “in love”. I really hated her storyline and still do.

• a_friend_in_me says:

I agree with Amelia (Bedelia) about Seth and Sarah and her comments about Sarah and Hank. On the other hand, I liked the way the writers kept her character from making any good choices for herself. Not everyone has to be a success in their relationships. This character leaves the audience wondering if she’s ever going to “make something of herself”. So, in a way, it’s a good thing to keep her character true to form and keep us guessing/hoping/wondering.

• Kelly says:

Wow, I really like this show. It’s about time we have something on tv that deals with realistic situations of life.

• May says:

They write every season as if it could be a finale. They never know if the show will be picked up for another year or not. Why I have no idea. This has to be one of the best shows out there. As so many other posters have stated it always makes me feel something. I have never, in recent years, had a show make me cry as often as this one does. Believe me I am no softie, they just have story lines that hit so close to home sometimes. The networks would rather put on crap like so-called reality shows that cost so much less to produce. I don’t watch reality shows, and I have a feeling that one day they will be the death of scripted television and some amazing actors if the trend continues.

7. Superhero says:

I’m willing to bet that Jason Ritter is going to be cast in Katims’ About a Boy pilot; I think it was TVLine who said he was looking to do a comedy, Katims obviously likes working with him (having cast him in the County pilot last year), and it seems like he would fit the description of the leading male. Obviously it would need to get picked up to series, but if it did, bye-bye to Mr. Cyr. I wouldn’t shed any tears over that, nor would I shed any over Hank staying in Minnesota; while I liked both Ritter and Romano on the show, I’m pretty tired of Sarah’s chaotic love life.

On the other hand, I’d be very disappointed if Lauria left. He was interesting, I liked him and Amber together, and dammit, all characters played by Mae Whitman deserve all the happiness in the world. Plus, always nice to see Friday Night Lights actors on good television shows. Katims should add Zach Gilford next season; lord knows nobody else has been able to give him a good role.

• KSo says:

It would be sad to see Jason Ritter off the show. He was a fun character. I think I’m the only one to feel this way, but I don’t think Lauren Graham and Ray Romano have ANY chemistry. I was so in love with Lauren’s character on Gilmore Girls and she had unbelievable chemistry with everyone on that show. I just couldn’t get into the Hank and Sarah romance AT ALL! She’s an amazing actress but she needs another “Luke.”

8. Michelle says:

This episode certainly did feel like a series finale, and I suppose I wouldn’t be unhappy if it ended there, although I do love the show and look forward to it each week. All the characters’ arcs seemed wrapped up from top to bottom — even Sarah’s arc, even if you don’t know if she would go to Minnesota or not. (I would assume not, though.)

• TV Gord says:

Every season ends that way. I remember people saying the same thing last year, with Jasmine and Crosby’s wedding and all of the other storylines seemingly wrapped up.

9. Courtney says:

I would definitely love that in a fifth and final season, Seth comes back into everyones lives, and he&Sarah work out, if Mark&Hank are officially done. They should also have Haddie involved more, and have Sydney grow up a bit. Her character hasn’t changed since the beginning. It’s a shame how little they focus on her, and continue to have her be a ‘brat’.

10. Patrick says:

This is a great show and I hope they get a 5th season and more! Usually when you are hearing they might have 1 more season it’s because the past couple seasons weren’t that great, but this show has been consistently genuine, emotion-driven and awesome from the pilot episode until last night’s season finale! Such a great cast. From the beginning I was hugely impressed by Dax Shepard who I had thought was just a comedian with a different sense of humor than mine. He turned out to be so much more! And I think we have it pretty well settled that Mae Whitman is an amazing actress and I look forward to seeing where she goes after this. And those were just the surprises for me. There are also all the great actors I already knew!
    From what I understand of TV contracts, they regularly start with a 7-year deal for the main characters. I hope the show gets at least 7 seasons. It may be under-appreciated, but I’ve seen so many people find the show this year and fall in love! NBC would be crazy to cancel it when it’s on a huge upswing.

• em g says:

Agree totally with your comment about Shephard
      “who I had thought was just a comedian with a different sense of humor than mine. He turned out to be so much more!”
      I never thought much of him at all but I’ve become a huge fan because of Parenthood. He has really impressive dramatic chops, there were a couple of moments this season that he knocked it out of the park.

11. Eric says:

I always thought that if we get another season, and we better, NBC would make it a final season. But my hope is that we get a 5th season, and many more!!!

12. Biz ness says:

Parenthood is an amazing show! Please continue!!!

13. Phil says:

I want another season period! I love this show and this was its best season. Hope they keep Monica Potter front and center because she was outstanding this season( Emmy please!) NBC, please renew it and not for a final season.

• rowan77 says:

I agree! Monica Potter’s Christina was always just emotionally out of reach for the viewers (which is a testament to her acting because Monica Potter is so innately warm and likable) so when we got to really delve into her, not just as a wife and mother, but as someone going through a catastrophic illness, it was just so beautifully done. We learned so much about the character, she’s now my favorite in the series. I hope we get to spend more time watching the Bravermans ad how the family evolves. It’s simply one of the best shows on TV.

14. Michael says:

Mae Whitman is an extraordinary young actress. She’s come a long way since Independence Day and it has been a privelege watching her grow up on screen. I think that she has a long career ahead of her.

15. Brian says:

I always feel bad that more people do not watch this show. I always tape it and put off watching it, then when i watch it and i want to watch it over again. There is something spiritual about all the love amongst the everyday turmoil. All of these relationships are so real. The writer, actors etc do not get the credit they deserve. Part of the problem is this show is on NBC which on a good day is in 4th place. If this show was on CBS or even ABC it would have been handled differently, but congrats on a spectacular season and I look forward to many, many more. Beautiful season ending, not ready to delete it

• Michael says:

The small audience doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with NBC…more importantly, if this drama garnered a audience of a similar size on, let’s say, CBS, it still would have been cancelled after one season.(NBC gave Parenthood a post-Olympics spot, aka all the exposure that it should have needed.) If you love Parenthood, you should be thankful that it is on NBC because it would not have made it this far on another network.

16. em g says:

I loved the episode – Lauren Graham can project heartbreak with one look, Shephard continues to surprise with his dramatic chops, the kids are perfect and natural, I often find Krause’s part to be written as insufferable but the cancer storyline gave both him and Potter a great storyline.
    The adopton storyline finally gave those Bravermans something to act/grow over. I love Amber and Hatie’s limited role was still great. If I had one wish it would be to see a little more of the Senior Bravermans next year, felt they were very much supporting this year.
    I LOVE this show and want it back, just wish it had a better timeslot and lead in.

17. Carla says:

Definitely it must be Seth the one returning to Sarah’s life. He’s the one.
    Kudos to Mae Whitman.

18. I’m hoping for a Fringe finale post-mortem…Q&A with the producer. Maybe take some questions from the audience.

19. April says:

I have laughed, cried, and lived most of these experiences in my life so far. Most of my friends say the same and I can only hope to enjoy watching the “true” life stories of this non realty television series for a fifth season. I am not ready for it to be over.

20. Fran says:

I can’t believe NBC hasn’t renewed this show yet. I mean, what else do they have? Parenthood is so well done. If NBC doesn’t renew it, I’d love to see one of the cable networks pick it up.

21. Tammy says:

Don’t watch SMASH…. keep their ratings lower than Parenthood so they will renew it! Parenthood is a much better show.

• Brandy says:

I watch both shows, and I don’t like pitting the two shows against each other. Both get reduced seasons anyway, so they both can get renewed. I’m not even worried about Parenthood getting renewed to begin with the ratings are stable and it gets lots of love from critics. Let’s not leave out the strong fan base. If NBC canceled it now they’d have a very ugly situation on their hands.

• visitor from another planet says:

i will not watch SMASH if this is what it takes to renew Parenthood!

22. Cathy says:

Instead of Hank or Mark, how about Scott Cohen? I always liked Max.

Honestly, though, if you are going to have her with no one, do it for awhile. She needs to grow up.

• Ana says:

They would be hot together if they have -or act- that hot chemistry like in GG! haha
      I’ve never imagined a role for him in Parenthood, but ur comment just reminded me of they together . I always liked Max too!

23. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ve always kind of liked the fact that Sarah is a hot mess, but I was pretty mad about last night’s episode. She broke Mark’s heart, and was cold doing it too. I don’t even really understand why. I was kinda happy she got dumped by Hank. I wanted to point and laugh, “Ha ha,” when it happened.

24. Romi says:

I hope the show returns and focuses on characters other than Sarah, Christina and Max.

25. sherknd says:

I think the only storyline that didnt bring tears was Sarah’s. And I thought it was pretty rude of her to go into his classroom, his workplace, and tell him that she is choosing Hank. LOVED every other storyline. And Victor calling Julia Mom, icing on the cake.

• CAM says:

So glad to hear someone else say that. I was wondering if Iwas the only one who found it pretty heartless to have her go to his classroom to tell him. Seriously? She wouldn’t ask him to meet her someplace for coffee or something to talk to him?

• a_friend_in_me says:

The writers wanted to build tension… within the scene, we don’t know if she’s going to tell him that Hank moved away and that she wants to give it another try with Mark, or what she was going to do at that point. (Tell him that it’s over between them.) That makes for a great story line. It’s alright if you “hate” the character. She kept true to her character’s self-centeredness by walking into the classroom to deliver this news. The writer wants to drawn on emotion. Whatever the viewer chooses to feel about a character is up to them. Mission accomplished.

• Curly Girly says:

That’s just par for the course for Sarah…she is a selfish, unthinking person…only thinks about her self. I hope she ends up ALONE because no one is gonna love her as much as she loves herself!!!! Can’t stand her character.

26. robinepowell says:

I would love for NBC to do two things with Parenthood. Put it on at 9:00, so it’s not up against crime shows. The other is for the network to give Parenthood two more seasons. ;)

27. Kat says:

Please renew this fabulous show, NBC!! The finale was amazing. Loved that Amber and Ryan are back together…please don’t go off to college and leave Ryan. Victor finally loving his new family gave me chills, and Kristina cancer free is what we’ve all been hoping for. There are so many reasons for this show to continue. The Braverman family is the kind of family we would all love to be a part of and bringing it into our homes each week is like a little like watching The Waltons oh so many years ago!!

28. Robinette D. says:

Please bring back Parenthood for a 5th season. It is why I look forward to Tuesday
    night television. I look forward to more and more of the great story lines I adore
    watching!

29. CJ says:

I miss Hattie!

And on another note, something I realized this season is that my favorite scenes of this show are the ones where different characters have scenes together than just the normal pairings of Adam and Kristina, Adam and Crosby, Julia and Joel, etc. For me, the best one was Amber and Drew in Small Victories. That, and any scene with Matt Lauria in it.

30. Terry Smith says:

Please, please do not cancel this show … there are actually some non-TV viewers who are tired of the great shows ie: Fly Away, etc that have a great message and yet not the following to keep them on air … tired of the reality shows although we can all see that is where we are headed … please keep something for the rest of us that have half a brain!

31. Kassi says:

I have not missed a single episode of Parenthood. I am hoping and praying for another season. If it were the last, I would be happy with the ending, though. But I am not ready for it to be over. My husband laughs because I almost feel like a part of the Braverman family, I love them like my own family! I have shed so many tears of laughterand sadness too.

32. Susan Skinner says:

Parenthood is the one show I never miss. I hope NBC signs on for another season! Great cast, story lines, they feel like part of my family after 4 years!

33. Aulty says:

I love that Sarah picked Hank and I hope the writers find a good story for them. Keep them together and give har a good stable realtionship for a change. Ray Romano, whether you like the character he played or not, did such a good job. I liked that they linked his social akwardness with Max’s condition, and it was touching how he was always very honest with expressing his feelings. He is a keeper!
    It would be nice if Ritter could get some part in a comedy with a character that carries itself, rather than clinging to the ups and downs of a lead. He has proven that he is a good actor, so give him something that you would’ve given John – I’m sure he would be great!

34. Alli says:

Sad that everything I love about the show (Mark and Drew) are leaving and everything I hate (Jasmine) are staying. Maybe it’s time for a new series.

35. ellen says:

Mark please…….

36. ellen east says:

What a wonderful ensemble of actors. Each actor brought so much depth to their characters. If you loved or hated a character it was because the actor did their craft justice. There is such crap on t.v.
    Parenthood has been great to watch. I will miss it muchly.

• a_friend_in_me says:

Ellen East, the show is not cancelled. They are just waiting to be continued for a 5th season. DO not say goodbye just yet. Show your support for the cast and how dedicated a viewer you are by letting everyone know that you would like to see another season, not just let it go because it hasn’t been confirmed yet. I’m confident it will continue for season 5 and season 6, 7 and maybe even 8. There is so much depth in the characters. The actors are incredible and critics love the show! What more does the network need? I say five stars for Parenthood! ***** (Who’s with me?) :-D

37. Veronica says:

By far the best show on tv!!! It is the ONLY show I watch every week without fail. I am so attached to all of these characters and their storylines!!! However, they should move the show to 9pm and definitely have at least another two seasons!!

38. Casey says:

This is an amazing show with incredible actors. I know so many people who love this show. The storylines really draw you in. It’s hard not to feel everything they are feeling because the chemistry and talent of these actors are fantastic (especially Adam and Kristina). I would be very sad if this show didn’t return for many more seasons!

39. Lori says:

love, love, love, love….this show…Please bring it back!

40. Len says:

This is the best show on TV! You laugh and cry along with the characters. Parenthood will hopefully be on for several more years. What great writers ,directors and actors. A true gem!

41. Margaret Rogers says:

I have really enjoyed Parenthood and have not missed an episode. I had not thought it could be ending until I saw the last episode and noticed how every storyline was more or less wrapped up. Glad to see that there is a possibility that it will return.

42. Lisa says:

I adore this show and would hate for it to end. And I’m definitely in the Mark camp. He was a great thing for Sarah – smart, calm, measured, down-to-earth, funny – and Jason Ritter does such a great job. I don’t get the writers at all on this one – Sarah seemed so happy at last and then – Hank? I can’t stand Hank. He’s rude and annoying and such a downer – yes, quirky and maybe even charming in an irritating way, but really – Hank? I need to see where this goes. NBC, surprise us and do the right thing. I would devotedly watch this show for years.

43. Karen says:

Love Love Love this show. Please NBC bring it back for 2,3 or more seasons. This is one of the only shows that is worth watching on TV. The characters have real depth and the writing and storylines are terrific. I truly enjoyed Ray Romano’s Hank and I think his quirkiness really fit well with Sarah. I hope he comes back to the show.

44. erin says:

In love with this show! Praying for another full season 5 and 6 7 8 etc! Feel like these bravermans are my family, love them all sooo much.
    the best show on tv and we haven’t missed one episode yet! how are we going to make it all the way to September?? Please NBC do the right thing!!

45. Carey says:

I love this show. I love the storylines and the characters. I hate Hank! I feel like they are tryimg to make a connection to adult autism or something. He gets in my nerves. Mark and Sara were great together and o would love to see them together. To me, Sara is choosing the needy guy again, instead of stability. I can’t stand Hank. Sober Seth is moving backwards. Only Mark or a fresh start gets her out of the needy stage. Actually may stop watching, as much as I like it, if Hank stays.

46. Jennifer says:

Mark was to young for sarah and i feel like ray ramonos character fit her beautifully fun sarcastic style perfectly. They are both in a place where they can really work if the writters find away to move him back. His character could evolve so much if they were happy. I never got over how jasmine had crosbys baby and just didnt give him a chance to be apart of his son growing up til so late i. The process. Everytime she brings up how her mom was the onlyone there to help her and throws it in his face i want to jump into the tv and smack her. I cried when victor called julia mom. And when he broke the vase and asked if she wasnt going to adopt him anymore. I need to see more with amber. She is my favorite character and i love her.

47. Mel says:

People love shows like Parenthood. We can relate to the hussle of everday life. It is nice to have a show that does not involve sex all the time or cursing….rather ways to handle situations that we all see on a daily basis. Notice how the shows that doen’t make any sense are on for ever and the shows that families can watch together they end. I hope Parenthood gets another season….I ove the cast.

48. MickeyVee says:

If they want to REALLY mirror life and parenthood, Sarah should be struggling, living in her own apt with 2 troubled teens, barely making ends meet, going through date after date with frustration and hope. What about SINGLE parenthood? Her kids have 3 parents…(Sara plus Grandpa & Grandma). Too saccarine for me…

• a_friend_in_me says:

@ MickeyVee, I could see your point and if they wanted to show the hard knocks of Single Parenthood, they would have written it into the storyline. I’m a single parent myself. You see…. this show is about Parenthood, NOT Single Parenthood. Also, this show is about a tight knit family. More families than you think have close connections, but in our daily lives, we hear more about the ones which are not so fortunate. They do idealize things a bit for her character, but having Sarah out on her own wouldn’t make for a continued storyline of this particular family, The Bravermans. This family is committed to one another and the many viewers who can not identify with this type of closeness get drawn in, this is why we watch. We want to feel loved and supported completely. This show offers just that. They look out for each other. Also, the other kind of viewers, who do have a close family themselves watch because they like to root for their favorite character(s). Really, there’s only one single parent in this show. If the show was to mirror real single parenthood, it would have to include many hardships where the single parent was unsupported by the rest of her family. Unlike, the Braverman family who help each other. So, your concept doesn’t work well with the preset storyline of togetherness. That’s a whole other concept for some other show.