Exclusive

Exclusive: New Girl Gets Shameless, Casts Steve Howey as Love Interest For [Spoiler]

Steve Howey New Girl Season 2Shameless barkeep Steve Howey is about to serve Zooey Deschanel’s Jess a shot of sexual tension on New Girl, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Howey has been tapped to guest star as Jax McTavish, an intense (in every sense of the word) professional football player that Winston interviews.

RELATED | Exclusive First Look: A New Girl Threesome?

The jock is later invited to Schmidt and Nick’s “Tinfinity” party — a.k.a. a bash celebrating their 10 years of living together — and it’s there that he crosses paths with (and catches the eye of) Jess.

The $1 million question: Is Jess’ current beau, Sam, also in attendance? And if not, where the hell is he?! Discuss in the comments.

1. Elly says:

Van Montgomery kinda looks scary nowadays….

That said, love him!

2. emily says:

So he is playing Van Montgomery if he hadn’t knocked up Cheyenne in high school

3. Tt says:

While I’m a fan of shameless he’ll always be Cheyennes husband from Reba

4. flo says:

So he plays a Kevin on Shamless, and will play a Kevin on New Girl. How original. He’s excellent on Shameless, btw.

5. Mina says:

Argh… I love Steve howey but I don’t want him on as a love interest for Jess! I want nick and Jess!

6. Tom Charles says:

Can we please get rid of Sam already?

• John says:

Agreed, I have not liked the actor that plays Sam in anything he has been in…Yes I have even tried Bent. I do not know who he knows/sleeping with in Hollywood but when your shows keep getting cancelled maybe it is not just the writing and the actor cannot connect to the character or the audience.

• i thought i was the only one who thought this lmao! he’s monotone, uninteresting, boring and weird looking. i’m not interested. at least justin long was entertaining with jess because they were both weird and awkward. this guy is just annoying!

7. Vanessa says:

WE ONLY WANT NICK AND JESS. PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS. Thank you in advance.

• Elsa says:

Actually I disagree. I’ve come to realise that I prefer Nick and Jess as friends, they were so funny in this week’s episode.

• jjovana3 says:

But the greatest aspect of any romantic relationship is also the friendship behind it. Jess and Nick have it all, but the writers will stretch it out as much as they can to keep the tension building up.

• Lindsey says:

Agreed. Nick and Jess are amazing together. I think the writers enjoy torturing us by dangling the perfect couple in front of us as only friends. I wonder how they’re going to make us wait for them to get together…

• jjovana3 says:

I think Nick and Jess will reach a point in their friendship where they can no longer ignore the carnal instincts. I honestly thought he would just kiss her when he tried to shut her up at her student’s house. I was like “THIS IS IT!”

I loved that scene. Too funny. They have the physical comedy and chemistry.

• Hmmm says:

People who want Nick and Jess together are completely boring. That is extremely predictable, to have her fall for a roommate, and on top of everything else, Nick is a BUM. He has no direction, no goals, no nothing. What could he possible offer Jess in terms of a real relationship? I’m peeved that they actually took it there. I didn’t like the actor who played Sam either, b/c he really couldn’t act (I mean I couldn’t believe he was a doctor he seemed so dimwitted), but I would rather him any day over Nick.

8. Meow says:

This show was filming in the park yesterday and today. Looked like a wedding or party scene.

9. SJ says:

Yikes, what has he done to himself? He used to be so handsome, now he just looks like something out of Sons of Anarchy… :(

10. Amy says:

I’m a huge Nick and Jess fan. So I don’t know, another love interest? Sounds predictable at this point. Too many love interests! I think Steve Howey was adorable as Van in Reba, though. But I still want Nick and Jess together!

• Brenda says:

I agree with Amy. Although I love the idea that the writers are going to postpone the already inevitable love beetween Nick and Jess, I think there have been a one to many love interests for Jess. I mean we’re going on 4 or 5 now with Sam and then you’re adding another with this guy. I love that you guys are doing this, believe me, because I love how you slowly start to see the chemistry between Nick and Jess start to merge together but maybe, just maybe, you guys could include a love interest for Jess that sticks around for more than a couple episodes and gets Jess thinking about the future and life and who she is really meant to be with. Again, just a suggestion, and maybe you’re already planning that for the very end. Either way, Great show I absolutely love it, keep up the good work! :D

11. jjovana3 says:

TOO MANY LOVE INTERESTS! These roomates are in their 30’s and all act like college frat boys and girls. Can we have ONE solid relationship? Is that why they sank Schmidt and Cece without ANY good legitimate reason? Its getting repetitive. The show needs more substance.

12. how many love interests does jess have?! sam, nick, justin long’s character, her first bf… it’s only been 2 seasons! slow down and settle down with 1 person.

13. he’s just another distraction until nick and her get together. they have nothing else to write about besides their romantic lives? smh. also, he kinda looks like jason mamoa with that hair, facial hair & eyebrows but not as attractive

14. Giulia says:

Totally agree with you guys! It’s getting me annoyed by now how many love interests that they are adding to the show. I mean last episode was a blast and I really enjoyed all the Nick/Jess stuff.. They should be exploring their amazing chemestry at this point and not bringing some random guys to Jess’ life… Have u seen the 15th episode promo? It seems pretty amazing. I hope they keep going in this direction… There’s no denial that Jake and Zooey are the best together and, at least for me, the funniest episodes are when they interact. May I add that this season is being the Nick Miller season and Jake is being so great that I just don’t get why he was not nominated to the Golden Globes instead of Max (who is amazing too, and deserved it in season 1, but now Jake is just cracking me up in every single episode).

• jjovana3 says:

I couldnt agree more. Jake Johnson is nothing but PERFECT this season. He has me in tears episode after episode. I do love Max G and he portrays Schmidt to perfection, but Season 2 is Nick Season and he should have gotten the Globe nomination without a doubt.

15. Lucy P says:

Wowzers, i thought EVERYONE read spoilers. Clearly not!! This character is there for a good reason, the writers have got it right, seriously.

16. Teresa says:

It doesn’t matter 2 me which character he’s play’n. Whether it’s on Reba or Sons Of Anarchy. HE’S HOT HOT HOT !!!!!!!