Bad News: Fox Pulls Ben and Kate From Schedule

Get More: Cancellations, News

Ben and Kate CancelledFox’s patience with Ben and Kate appears to have run out.

TVLine has learned that the network is pulling the acclaimed, ratings-challenged rookie comedy from its schedule, effective immediately.

Beginning next Tuesday, back-to-back episodes of Raising Hope will air from 8-9 pm through February (except on Feb. 9, when Hope will lead into an encore of New Girl at 8:30/7:30c). Hope‘s one-hour season finale will air Thursday, March 28 following American Idol.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

On Tuesday, March 12, Season 11 of Hell’s Kitchen will take over the 8-9 pm perch, leading into New Girl and The Mindy Project.

Although a Fox insider maintains that Ben and Kate will return at a later date, make no mistake: today’s news has cancellation written all over it. And yes, it sucks.

Tags: ,

Comments (134)

• I just couldn’t like either of the leads. The only reason I checked out the show in the first place was the adorable little girl from we bought a zoo

Comment by leah – January 23, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I couldn’t even sit through 1 episode.

Comment by CAM – January 23, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I found the two leads unappealing in these rolls. I’m sorry the cast and crew lost their show, but I, personally, never liked it.

Comment by rowan77 – January 23, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but I think the fatal flaw was that Kate (Dakota Johnson) was adorable, but Ben was just plain annoying. Will miss Dakota, Lucy Punch and the cute little girl.

Comment by filmex2000 – January 23, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! I do like Nat Faxon, but Ben was just an annoying man-child. And don’t get me started on the useless character of Tommy, who existed solely for the same two HILARIOUS reasons: He adored both Ben and Kate way too much! Hee hee. Throw in the same old crap about how that little girl changed her life blah blah blah EVERY EPISODE and this was nothing but a cure for insomnia.

Comment by KevyB – January 23, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really bums me out, but it isn’t unexpected. This show is pretty funny and was just starting to really hit its stride!

Comment by erin – January 23, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(

I’m all sad now.

Comment by Ryan – January 23, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like that show! Bummed.

Comment by AB – January 23, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO sad about this… I really enjoyed this show… funny but with such heart! (And one of my favorite opening theme songs!) Bummer.

Comment by Katie – January 23, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree on both counts!

Comment by Becky – January 23, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I liked the show and thought it was just getting better with each episode.

Comment by Kristoffer – January 23, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo!! I love this show so much. Online campaign to save it, anyone?

Comment by Meghan – January 23, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the history of television that’s worked what? Once? And usually with shows that didn’t have abysmal ratings to begin with.

Comment by dude – January 23, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jericho. There’s your once.

Comment by Katie – January 23, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And then nobody watched it and it got canceled again.

Comment by ... – January 23, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They stripped the cast and it wasn’t the same anymore.

Comment by Shaun – January 24, 2013 09:34 AM PDT
        • Roswell too. Tabasco sauce anyone?

Comment by TM – January 23, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanks for bringing that up. That Tabasco campaign still makes me smile.

Comment by Court – January 26, 2013 07:48 PM PDT
      • Family Guy is the best example. Cancelled and due to fans petitioning for it and DVD sales it was brought back. And look how good it’s doing

Comment by Raven – January 23, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fans’ efforts played a large part in getting Fringe and Chuck to 5 seasons, respectively. Community probably would have been canceled after season 3 if it wasn’t for the fanbase’s huge vocal dedication.

Comment by jen – January 23, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Please. That’s a bunch of bull cooked up by fans who want to make themselves feel special.
          1. Chuck was renewed for a final season because it was within a few episodes of the “magic” 88-episode barrier required for stripped syndication.
          2. Fringe was renewed for a final season to please SyFy, who paid more for the rights to syndicate Fringe because there would be more episodes.
          3. Community was renewed for season 4 because it had decent ratings compared to other shows like Up All Night, 30 Rock, Are you There Chelsea?, Best Friends Forever, and Bent.

Comment by nick1372 – January 23, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • @nick – chuck wouldn’t have gotten to season 3 without the fan Subway campaign. Saying otherwise is a bunch of bull cooked up by you. It’s the prime example of a show saved by fans (even moreso than Jericho – as that got only one more season as opposed to three).

Comment by ben – January 23, 2013 01:48 PM PDT
          • Jen’s right. When Zac Levi suggested everyone go to Subway for a $5 footlong on the last night of the season the turnout was HUGE. Much larger than the ratings suggested. The fans TOTALLY saved that show.

Comment by rowan77 – January 23, 2013 05:21 PM PDT
        • I don’t think you need to put respectively when the 5 applies to both, but I could be wrong.

Comment by leah – January 23, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not all necessarily canceled, but all saved by fan campaigns:

Star Trek
        Sliders
        Party of Five
        Jericho
        Roswell
        Cagney and Lacy
        The Family Guy
        Futurama
        Chuck
        Friday Night Lights
        Arrested Development
        Reaper

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cagney & Lacey. TERRIBLE ratings after season one. TERRIBLE. Saved by a write-in campaign and some fine-tuning of the show.

Comment by rowan77 – January 23, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • La femme Nikita was cancelled and brought back for a short season thanks to fans. We got a better ending.

Comment by Tali – January 24, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Between Don’t Trust the B yesterday and this today, I’m having a very sad week. :(

Comment by Lana – January 23, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded. :(

Comment by Eric – January 23, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thirded :-(

Comment by Lisa – January 23, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fourthed. It’s the Tuesday Apocalypse.

Comment by TigerNightmare – January 23, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Its killing me too! I love tv comedies. Hate that tuesday has all the best comedies competing with each other. There isnt enough spots on my dvr to record them all….if they had spread them out the comdey freaks lik me would have showed up and doubled eeryones ratings insted of splitting us up amongst the networks

Comment by edlow – January 23, 2013 01:26 PM PDT
    • I know! This is killing me!

Comment by Jennifer – January 23, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, no! I really liked this show.

Comment by Allison – January 23, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo!

Comment by Daniel – January 23, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo hiss! I really liked this show.

Comment by Teeny – January 23, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So does that mean Fox still doesnt want to put The Goodwin Games or is it officially cancelled before airing. I was actually eagerly waiting to check out HIMYM creator’s new show, but now guess it will never be aired

Comment by Sri – January 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was looking forward to this too. I have been waiting for Becki Newton back on my TV ever since Ugly Betty ended. TV execs make no sense to me sometimes. They pass up AMAZING shows for something mediocre and/or terrible. They back shows like Whitney, The Neighbors, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory (I just could never get into any of these shows, which I feel I am alone in because Two and a Half Men, and The Big Bang Theory, are extremely popular) etc etc. But then amazing shows fall by the wayside. Community, Arrested Development, Cougartown, Veronica Mars, Freaks and Geeks, Twin Peaks, etc etc.

Comment by Amanda M. – January 23, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You make no sense in this statement. Each network operates differently and it’s all circumstantial either way. Especially when it comes to shows of different genres.

Comment by Tom – January 23, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wasn’t trying to compare anything in regards to genres. All I was trying to say is that sometimes amazing shows get the shaft while some mediocre shows get the full support of the network. Mediocre shows also tend to get extensive advertising. Billboards, bus stops, buses. It just seems sometimes they are afraid to try something new. Shows that get moved around or have delayed premieres sadly tend not to last. They tend to take on more than they are able to accomadate. And I understand they want ratings, and may need to have a backup in case a show fails, but I just wish they could find a better way because in the end they end up with disappointed fans/viewers, like me. And I don’t think I am alone in this.

Comment by Amanda M. – January 23, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have grown to really like this show’s silly brand of humor. What a bummer :(

Comment by Leah – January 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’d be great if TBS had their own comedy block, lead off with the reruns of The Big Bang Theory or end with them. But have Ben & Kate followed by Cougar Town and Don’t Trust the B in Apt. 23. TBS could just become the Island of Misfit TV Shows.

Comment by willeggert – January 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TBS won’t pick up the show. It’s ratings on Fox were abysmal; they’d be even lower on TBS. I have nothing against this show (I occasionally watched), but stick a fork in it – it’s done.

Comment by AJ – January 23, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not a viable business model, though. Plus, the network won’t want to be known as the TV dump, where shows that don’t work on broadcast go to die; they want to be primarily original, in-house programming.

The main reason Cougar Town got a renewal and moved is how close it was to syndication and Cox already being on the network a lot with Friends reruns.

Comment by ... – January 23, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Island of Misfit TV shows… Dude. I think you just came up with the best TV network of all time! Ha ha. It could be the channel that picks up fan favorite shows that got cancelled… This should actually happen.

Comment by Babybop – January 23, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Once Happy Endings and Community get cancelled, they would go great alongside Cougar Town and Ben and Kate. Literally the best comedy block ever. Not that that will ever happen, but imagine it!If they aired new episodes of Chuck directly afterwards, I’d lose my mind with happiness. Someone needs to invent this Island of Misfit TV Shows Channel.

Comment by Eric – January 23, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant comment. I wish I could make this dream a reality

Comment by Jenn – January 23, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sounds like my kind of network, my kind of comedy block!

Comment by flutiefan – January 23, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo both Raising Hope and Happy Endings will air 2 episodes per week and will have early season endings…. I really hope syndication could and will save both of them…

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – January 23, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This isn’t really bad news for fans of quality television and/or people who have taste.

Comment by Scott – January 23, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Which is why you’re here in this forum’s posts?

Comment by Jake Ryan – January 23, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Translation: I’m a tactless, condescending A-hole

Comment by TigerNightmare – January 23, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! Scott. You saved me from the flamers for your spot on post. :)

Comment by Alienate – January 23, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noo..we really got into this show – it’s so funny! Why would they pull it!?!?

Comment by Nikki – January 23, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a fun show and the fact we have to put up with Hells Kitchen is abominable!!

Comment by Boiler – January 23, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a pity, it’s a really good show.

Comment by me – January 23, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone give Lucy Punch her own series, STAT!

Comment by Betty – January 23, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT?! My husband and I sit down and actually watch this together every week!

Comment by Kate – January 23, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! Ben & Kate and New Girl are the only sitcoms my husband and I watch together (and Community, but that’s not on yet).

Comment by gdv – January 23, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! The humor is very witty, I guess lots of people did not get the humor! Same with Arrested Development! It is too bad!

Comment by sarah – January 23, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO This is an amazing show!!!

Comment by Christina Cordes – January 23, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so upsetting! This was one of the funniest shows on Fox. I don’t want this to be cancelled.

Comment by Jennifer Ross – January 23, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good show but it was kind of a copy of Happy Endings and New Girl with not as strong a cast. That’s what happens when producers just try to do the same thing other shows are doing

Comment by Jason – January 23, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just about the only sitcom that was new and fresh. I can’t believe Fox isn’t giving it more of a chance. My husband and I love the characters and the storylines.
    The conversations between BJ and the girl. How adorable and inappropriate.
    Kate is more quirky and realistic than Zoey on New Girl, not taking anything away from her. A sibling relationship like theirs is so unique.
    Let it live longer…

Comment by dlr929 – January 23, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This blows!

Comment by Lindsey – January 23, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO! i love this show & look forward to watching it every week. PLEASE bring it back– & renew it while you’re at it!

Comment by Patty – January 23, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like all the characters……..way 2 bad. Really thought the personalities had a great comedic chemistry between them. I wish them all well going forward.

Comment by jackie2830 – January 23, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it every week, hoping it would get better. It never did. I enjoy all of the other shows in that comedy block, but Ben and Kate was often painful to sit through.

Comment by TV Gord – January 23, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awful show! glad to see it go. but so confused. Why cant the goodwin games take the spot of an encore? they have a show which was looking doubtful to make the programming, a free spot, and now, still nothing.

Comment by Sokratis – January 23, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO! Not both Ben & Kate and Apartment 23 :(

Comment by louise – January 23, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please don’t take off the mindy project. PLEASE

Comment by asta – January 23, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is too bad. There was more that worked in the show than didn’t. Dakota Johnson was terrific.

Comment by SarahJ – January 23, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been fearing this day. I’ve known it was coming for months now. But that doesn’t make it any less disappointing. It was such a fantastic show with a great, hilarious cast. I miss it already.

Comment by Eric – January 23, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. This show is one of my favorites from the new shows. I wish FOX had been more patient with it. UGH.

Comment by May – January 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is disappointing. I watched it every week. I was worried because the ratings were so low. I loved the scenes with B J and Maddie. I wasn’t a big fan of the character of Ben, but I loved all the other ones. I hope the actors are able to make it in some of the pilots that have picked up. There is a lot of talent there.

Comment by Betty – January 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one of the better new sitcoms. Too bad.

Comment by joe – January 23, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just happy for Raising hope 1 hour season finale with American Idol lead-in. Finally it’ll have more viewers and maybe season 4 grows a lot

Comment by Marcos – January 23, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does this get canceled while The Mindy Project lives on?
    I wasn’t sure about this show at first, but it really did grow on me.

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This

Comment by Tommy's hair – January 23, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mindy Project is hilarious! You have to sit and pay attention to it, though. It’s not really a show for this low-attention-span world we live in today.

Comment by TV Gord – January 24, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think double episodes of Raising Hope start until February 5th, due to the special Mindy Project episode on January 29th. At least that’s what’s reported on other sites.

Comment by Galelkethewind – January 23, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay… I checked with other sites AGAIN and now I don’t know what the hell is going on.

Comment by Galelkethewind – January 23, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad day :(

Comment by Roger Canada – January 23, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raising Hope is going nowhere because its close to Syndication. And family sitcoms always do really well there

Comment by gary – January 23, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, I really liked the show! It’s been a bad year for all of my new shows.

Comment by lara – January 23, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ben and Kate is one of the funny shows on right now. Nat Faxon did annoy me at first but I got over it. The Mindy Project is the real show that needs to go, I don’t find that show funny at all and all the male characters (especially Catellano and the British doctor) are terrible.

Comment by cyclone – January 23, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, too bad. I knew it was dead, but I was hoping they’d at least show all the episodes. :(

Comment by nick1372 – January 23, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Why not just burn the rest of the eps? I like Raising Hope, but there’s no way I can take back-to-back episodes. Guess I’ll find something else to watch live 8-9pm and catch up on RH later.

Comment by Mo – January 23, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t there just an announcement the other day, or yesterday can’t remember, about someone being cast on Ben and Kate. Anyone? Matt? Am I imagining this?

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 23, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I didn’t love the show – I think the bigger problem is that people have stopped watching new shows, because of shananaggins like this. Why watch a show that is going to get cancelled after 1 or fewer seasons. This is one thing that Cable knows they sign a show for multiple seasons up-front and it is why I am more likely to try a new cable show than a network show.

Comment by Tigger Olsen (@tiggscolo) – January 23, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve just been thinking the same.

Comment by Annika – January 23, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So bummed! I enjoyed this show quite a bit, especially Nat Faxon. In my opinion, it is much better than “The Mindy Project”.

Comment by KJS – January 23, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was so good. Stupid Mindy Project and New Girl are still on over this? Total BS. *cries*

Comment by Danielle H. – January 23, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben & Kate should have been pulled MONTHS ago. Fans should be grateful Fox stuck with it this long. What a horrible season for new series. Only 3 new shows could even be considered hits (Revolution..Arrow and Elementary)

Comment by JoJo – January 23, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only comedy the network will have left is Fox News

Comment by cuius – January 23, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go On is pretty popular too

Comment by Neel Patel – January 23, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks, I really liked this show!

Comment by Sue – January 23, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post