Bad News: Fox Pulls Ben and Kate From Schedule

Ben and Kate CancelledFox’s patience with Ben and Kate appears to have run out.

TVLine has learned that the network is pulling the acclaimed, ratings-challenged rookie comedy from its schedule, effective immediately.

Beginning next Tuesday, back-to-back episodes of Raising Hope will air from 8-9 pm through February (except on Feb. 9, when Hope will lead into an encore of New Girl at 8:30/7:30c). Hope‘s one-hour season finale will air Thursday, March 28 following American Idol.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

On Tuesday, March 12, Season 11 of Hell’s Kitchen will take over the 8-9 pm perch, leading into New Girl and The Mindy Project.

Although a Fox insider maintains that Ben and Kate will return at a later date, make no mistake: today’s news has cancellation written all over it. And yes, it sucks.

1. leah says:

I just couldn’t like either of the leads. The only reason I checked out the show in the first place was the adorable little girl from we bought a zoo

• CAM says:

Yeah, I couldn’t even sit through 1 episode.

• rowan77 says:

Same here. I found the two leads unappealing in these rolls. I’m sorry the cast and crew lost their show, but I, personally, never liked it.

• filmex2000 says:

Sorry, but I think the fatal flaw was that Kate (Dakota Johnson) was adorable, but Ben was just plain annoying. Will miss Dakota, Lucy Punch and the cute little girl.

• KevyB says:

Exactly! I do like Nat Faxon, but Ben was just an annoying man-child. And don’t get me started on the useless character of Tommy, who existed solely for the same two HILARIOUS reasons: He adored both Ben and Kate way too much! Hee hee. Throw in the same old crap about how that little girl changed her life blah blah blah EVERY EPISODE and this was nothing but a cure for insomnia.

2. erin says:

This really bums me out, but it isn’t unexpected. This show is pretty funny and was just starting to really hit its stride!

3. Ryan says:

I’m all sad now.

4. AB says:

I really like that show! Bummed.

5. Katie says:

SO sad about this… I really enjoyed this show… funny but with such heart! (And one of my favorite opening theme songs!) Bummer.

6. Meghan says:

Noooooo!! I love this show so much. Online campaign to save it, anyone?

• dude says:

In the history of television that’s worked what? Once? And usually with shows that didn’t have abysmal ratings to begin with.

• Katie says:

Jericho. There’s your once.

• Raven says:

Family Guy is the best example. Cancelled and due to fans petitioning for it and DVD sales it was brought back. And look how good it’s doing

• jen says:

Fans’ efforts played a large part in getting Fringe and Chuck to 5 seasons, respectively. Community probably would have been canceled after season 3 if it wasn’t for the fanbase’s huge vocal dedication.

• nick1372 says:

Please. That’s a bunch of bull cooked up by fans who want to make themselves feel special.
          1. Chuck was renewed for a final season because it was within a few episodes of the “magic” 88-episode barrier required for stripped syndication.
          2. Fringe was renewed for a final season to please SyFy, who paid more for the rights to syndicate Fringe because there would be more episodes.
          3. Community was renewed for season 4 because it had decent ratings compared to other shows like Up All Night, 30 Rock, Are you There Chelsea?, Best Friends Forever, and Bent.

• ben says:

@nick – chuck wouldn’t have gotten to season 3 without the fan Subway campaign. Saying otherwise is a bunch of bull cooked up by you. It’s the prime example of a show saved by fans (even moreso than Jericho – as that got only one more season as opposed to three).

• rowan77 says:

Jen’s right. When Zac Levi suggested everyone go to Subway for a $5 footlong on the last night of the season the turnout was HUGE. Much larger than the ratings suggested. The fans TOTALLY saved that show.

• leah says:

I don’t think you need to put respectively when the 5 applies to both, but I could be wrong.

• Drew says:

Not all necessarily canceled, but all saved by fan campaigns:

Star Trek
        Sliders
        Party of Five
        Jericho
        Roswell
        Cagney and Lacy
        The Family Guy
        Futurama
        Chuck
        Friday Night Lights
        Arrested Development
        Reaper

• rowan77 says:

Cagney & Lacey. TERRIBLE ratings after season one. TERRIBLE. Saved by a write-in campaign and some fine-tuning of the show.

• Tali says:

La femme Nikita was cancelled and brought back for a short season thanks to fans. We got a better ending.

7. Lana says:

Between Don’t Trust the B yesterday and this today, I’m having a very sad week. :(

8. Allison says:

Oh, no! I really liked this show.

9. Teeny says:

Boo hiss! I really liked this show.

10. Sri says:

So does that mean Fox still doesnt want to put The Goodwin Games or is it officially cancelled before airing. I was actually eagerly waiting to check out HIMYM creator’s new show, but now guess it will never be aired

• Amanda M. says:

I was looking forward to this too. I have been waiting for Becki Newton back on my TV ever since Ugly Betty ended. TV execs make no sense to me sometimes. They pass up AMAZING shows for something mediocre and/or terrible. They back shows like Whitney, The Neighbors, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory (I just could never get into any of these shows, which I feel I am alone in because Two and a Half Men, and The Big Bang Theory, are extremely popular) etc etc. But then amazing shows fall by the wayside. Community, Arrested Development, Cougartown, Veronica Mars, Freaks and Geeks, Twin Peaks, etc etc.

• Tom says:

You make no sense in this statement. Each network operates differently and it’s all circumstantial either way. Especially when it comes to shows of different genres.

• Amanda M. says:

I wasn’t trying to compare anything in regards to genres. All I was trying to say is that sometimes amazing shows get the shaft while some mediocre shows get the full support of the network. Mediocre shows also tend to get extensive advertising. Billboards, bus stops, buses. It just seems sometimes they are afraid to try something new. Shows that get moved around or have delayed premieres sadly tend not to last. They tend to take on more than they are able to accomadate. And I understand they want ratings, and may need to have a backup in case a show fails, but I just wish they could find a better way because in the end they end up with disappointed fans/viewers, like me. And I don’t think I am alone in this.

11. Leah says:

I have grown to really like this show’s silly brand of humor. What a bummer :(

12. willeggert says:

I think it’d be great if TBS had their own comedy block, lead off with the reruns of The Big Bang Theory or end with them. But have Ben & Kate followed by Cougar Town and Don’t Trust the B in Apt. 23. TBS could just become the Island of Misfit TV Shows.

• AJ says:

TBS won’t pick up the show. It’s ratings on Fox were abysmal; they’d be even lower on TBS. I have nothing against this show (I occasionally watched), but stick a fork in it – it’s done.

• ... says:

That’s not a viable business model, though. Plus, the network won’t want to be known as the TV dump, where shows that don’t work on broadcast go to die; they want to be primarily original, in-house programming.

The main reason Cougar Town got a renewal and moved is how close it was to syndication and Cox already being on the network a lot with Friends reruns.

• Babybop says:

The Island of Misfit TV shows… Dude. I think you just came up with the best TV network of all time! Ha ha. It could be the channel that picks up fan favorite shows that got cancelled… This should actually happen.

• Eric says:

Once Happy Endings and Community get cancelled, they would go great alongside Cougar Town and Ben and Kate. Literally the best comedy block ever. Not that that will ever happen, but imagine it!If they aired new episodes of Chuck directly afterwards, I’d lose my mind with happiness. Someone needs to invent this Island of Misfit TV Shows Channel.

• Jenn says:

Brilliant comment. I wish I could make this dream a reality

• flutiefan says:

sounds like my kind of network, my kind of comedy block!

13. Sooo both Raising Hope and Happy Endings will air 2 episodes per week and will have early season endings…. I really hope syndication could and will save both of them…

14. Scott says:

This isn’t really bad news for fans of quality television and/or people who have taste.

15. Nikki says:

Noo..we really got into this show – it’s so funny! Why would they pull it!?!?

16. Boiler says:

This is a fun show and the fact we have to put up with Hells Kitchen is abominable!!

17. me says:

That’s a pity, it’s a really good show.

18. Betty says:

Someone give Lucy Punch her own series, STAT!

19. Kate says:

WHAT?! My husband and I sit down and actually watch this together every week!

• gdv says:

Same! Ben & Kate and New Girl are the only sitcoms my husband and I watch together (and Community, but that’s not on yet).

• sarah says:

Same here! The humor is very witty, I guess lots of people did not get the humor! Same with Arrested Development! It is too bad!

20. NOOOOO This is an amazing show!!!

21. This is so upsetting! This was one of the funniest shows on Fox. I don’t want this to be cancelled.

22. Jason says:

Good show but it was kind of a copy of Happy Endings and New Girl with not as strong a cast. That’s what happens when producers just try to do the same thing other shows are doing

23. dlr929 says:

This is just about the only sitcom that was new and fresh. I can’t believe Fox isn’t giving it more of a chance. My husband and I love the characters and the storylines.
    The conversations between BJ and the girl. How adorable and inappropriate.
    Kate is more quirky and realistic than Zoey on New Girl, not taking anything away from her. A sibling relationship like theirs is so unique.
    Let it live longer…

24. Lindsey says:

This blows!

25. Patty says:

NOOOOO! i love this show & look forward to watching it every week. PLEASE bring it back– & renew it while you’re at it!

26. jackie2830 says:

Like all the characters……..way 2 bad. Really thought the personalities had a great comedic chemistry between them. I wish them all well going forward.

27. TV Gord says:

I watched it every week, hoping it would get better. It never did. I enjoy all of the other shows in that comedy block, but Ben and Kate was often painful to sit through.

28. Sokratis says:

awful show! glad to see it go. but so confused. Why cant the goodwin games take the spot of an encore? they have a show which was looking doubtful to make the programming, a free spot, and now, still nothing.

29. louise says:

NOOOOO! Not both Ben & Kate and Apartment 23 :(

30. asta says:

please don’t take off the mindy project. PLEASE

31. SarahJ says:

This is too bad. There was more that worked in the show than didn’t. Dakota Johnson was terrific.

32. Eric says:

I’ve been fearing this day. I’ve known it was coming for months now. But that doesn’t make it any less disappointing. It was such a fantastic show with a great, hilarious cast. I miss it already.

33. May says:

No. This show is one of my favorites from the new shows. I wish FOX had been more patient with it. UGH.

34. Betty says:

This is disappointing. I watched it every week. I was worried because the ratings were so low. I loved the scenes with B J and Maddie. I wasn’t a big fan of the character of Ben, but I loved all the other ones. I hope the actors are able to make it in some of the pilots that have picked up. There is a lot of talent there.

35. joe says:

This is one of the better new sitcoms. Too bad.

36. Marcos says:

I’m just happy for Raising hope 1 hour season finale with American Idol lead-in. Finally it’ll have more viewers and maybe season 4 grows a lot

37. Drew says:

How does this get canceled while The Mindy Project lives on?
    I wasn’t sure about this show at first, but it really did grow on me.

38. Galelkethewind says:

I don’t think double episodes of Raising Hope start until February 5th, due to the special Mindy Project episode on January 29th. At least that’s what’s reported on other sites.

39. Roger Canada says:

Sad day :(

40. gary says:

Raising Hope is going nowhere because its close to Syndication. And family sitcoms always do really well there

41. lara says:

Aw, I really liked the show! It’s been a bad year for all of my new shows.

42. cyclone says:

I think Ben and Kate is one of the funny shows on right now. Nat Faxon did annoy me at first but I got over it. The Mindy Project is the real show that needs to go, I don’t find that show funny at all and all the male characters (especially Catellano and the British doctor) are terrible.

43. nick1372 says:

Oh, too bad. I knew it was dead, but I was hoping they’d at least show all the episodes. :(

• Mo says:

Exactly. Why not just burn the rest of the eps? I like Raising Hope, but there’s no way I can take back-to-back episodes. Guess I’ll find something else to watch live 8-9pm and catch up on RH later.

44. wrstlgirl says:

Wasn’t there just an announcement the other day, or yesterday can’t remember, about someone being cast on Ben and Kate. Anyone? Matt? Am I imagining this?

45. While I didn’t love the show – I think the bigger problem is that people have stopped watching new shows, because of shananaggins like this. Why watch a show that is going to get cancelled after 1 or fewer seasons. This is one thing that Cable knows they sign a show for multiple seasons up-front and it is why I am more likely to try a new cable show than a network show.

46. KJS says:

So bummed! I enjoyed this show quite a bit, especially Nat Faxon. In my opinion, it is much better than “The Mindy Project”.

47. Danielle H. says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was so good. Stupid Mindy Project and New Girl are still on over this? Total BS. *cries*

48. JoJo says:

Ben & Kate should have been pulled MONTHS ago. Fans should be grateful Fox stuck with it this long. What a horrible season for new series. Only 3 new shows could even be considered hits (Revolution..Arrow and Elementary)

49. Sue says:

This sucks, I really liked this show!