Beauty and the Beast Preview: Vincent Reuniting With His Ex Is a 'Massive Gut-Punch' for Catherine

Get More: Previews

Beauty and the Beast SpoilersAny injuries Catherine sustained in Beauty and the Beast‘s midseason finale car accident may pale in comparison to what her heart feels when Vincent unexpectedly reunites with his onetime fiancée Alex (played by Legend of the Seeker‘s Bridget Regan).

RELATED | Beauty‘s Beast Gets a New Foe

Speaking with TVLine at this month’s Peoples Choice Awards — where B&tB won Favorite New TV Drama — Jay Ryan said the CW freshman’s winter premiere (airing Thursday at 9/8c) presents a nightmare scenario for Vincent, who for years has labored to fly under the radar, especially when it comes to dodging those he held dear.

“It’s always been a fear of his that he is spotted on the street by someone he loves and never said goodbye to,” Ryan said, “and Alex is the No. 1 love he never wanted to see again because of the way he left, which we discover as the series progresses.”

PHOTO | Beauty and the Beast First Look: Vincent + Bridget Regan = Jealous Kristin Kreuk!

Ryan said that Vincent effectively left Alex at the altar when he BBblurbjoined the army and ultimately was subject to the experiments that turned him into a part-time beast. Long story, short: She was left to believe him dead — until, that is, they cross paths at the hospital where Cat is being treated and she works as a doctor.

Given that Vincent had just ventured out in public to join Catherine at her father’s wedding, coupled with many “would’ve/could’ve” thoughts she is having in the wake of cheating death, the timing for this reunion could have been better. “He’s just gotten to that place of bringing his emotions to the surface with Catherine when Alex shows up,” Ryan said. “Now he’s got to learn how to navigate between two females that he loves — or one that he loves now and one that he had feelings for in the past.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Beauty and the Beast Kiss Scoop!

And how does Catherine herself react to this blast from Vincent’s romantic past? “It’s really intense for her,” Kristin Kreuk previewed for us at the PCAs. “She doesn’t trust people easily, and she has not been in love with someone probably since she was a teenager. So it’s a massive gut-punch for her.”

Watch the promo for “Seeing Red,” then read on for more:

All that said, what words of reassurance — if any? — do TV’s Beauty and Beast have for those who are patiently hoping for the titular twosome to become one?

Kreuk offered this: “Know that this story will help you to understand Vincent more deeply, and get to know the man that he was and that he is.” She then added, “It’s important for him to go through this experience.”

Want more scoop on Beauty and the Beast, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (45)

• Can not WAIT to see this!

Comment by Renee – January 23, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am loving how the writers thought this through and added all kinds of intricate details. Making everything connect. I now see why it is necessary for Vincent to have this experience with Alex.
      I had no idea he had an ex he left hanging. So Ms thang (Alex) you got 4 episodes then BYE! VinCat got work to do, think those Muirfield folks are gonna be after them again. This is a job for tough people to handle. Kick butt Cat, Beast Vincent and baseball bat JT. Go get’em guys…..

Comment by c fallin – January 23, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • gotta figure if ratings go up….then Alex might be here to stay

Comment by phil h – January 23, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo, can’t wait to see how he deals with this. Loving this show more with each new episode.

Comment by Susie – January 23, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is this show still on the air? I cant believe secret circle was canceled for this horrible show with horrible ratings.

Comment by Mel – January 23, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bitter huh? I get it. Personally I hope Fox goes down in flames, but I really try not to take it out on other shows who have nothing to do with my show getting cancelled.

Comment by Renee – January 23, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is still on the air because it is getting great ratings and viewership. The Secret Circle is long gone. Pick something else to watch.

Comment by tvdiva – January 23, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg Im so tired of TSC bitter fans, really? move on let us enjoy BatB if it gets cancelled so be it, we will have 22 episodes to go back and forth and if has a 2nd. season we will be super happy…but whatever happens let us be!!!!!! geeeeeshhh move on and pick another show, TSC is not coming back!

Comment by Claudia – January 23, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Secret Circle was not “cancelled for this show”, it was cancelled for its own horrible ratings. It sucks for the fans but it is what it is, don’t take it out on fans of other shows.

Comment by Kristina – January 23, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. And as much as I liked TSC (despite it being nothing at all like the books), it failed because it failed. It’s nonsense to jabber on about things being cancelled ‘for’ something else.

Comment by Temperence – January 23, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Secret Circle got cancelled because it was NOTHING like the books (which are one of LJ Smiths better ones) and the MAIN casting was attrocious. Britt Robertson cant act her way out of the bag and Thomas Dekker is not meant to be the leading male. He struck me more as a badboy type girls like Cassie should avoid. It was ALL wrong. Not even Phoebe Tonkin could have saved it.

Comment by jjovana3 – January 24, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are we STILL discussing and crying over TSC? The show was terrible. It got what it deserved. Its not BATB fault. Move on.

Comment by jjovana3 – January 24, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damnit! Just want Catherine and Vincent to be together! Damn Ex go away! VinCat is what draws viewers in to the show

Comment by Patricia – January 23, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for tomorrow’s new episode. This show has really grown on me.

Comment by JoJo – January 23, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So super exciting! I love this show!

Comment by Sharie – January 23, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristin Kreuk’s character Cat Chandler is my fave charcter and I don’t want to see her hurt ever! She has such a caring and loving heart. Vincent is being such an ASS!

Comment by Crystal – January 23, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? He runs into his ex. in the hospital visiting Catherine. You might want to see how this plays out before deciding he’s an ass.

Comment by Renee – January 23, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the same, I love Catherine and I dont want her to get hurt but I also like Vincents so lets wait until we jump with conclusions :)

Comment by Claudia – January 23, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree He`s the biggest JERK on the show, all the other males are much better for Catherine.

Comment by Seth – January 23, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Based on a Jay Ryan interview I just read, it doesn’t really sound like he’s being a jerk to Catherine so I would wait and see what happens. He sounds very positive about their relationship.

Comment by Autumn – January 23, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Team Cat all the way, feel no sympathy for Vincent’s predicament. If I was Cat, I could never forgive someone I care about to “test things out” with the ex. If he has to even think for a second, there will always be doubt about his love and sincerity. CAT Don’t Let him Back in So EASY !!

Comment by Shirley – January 23, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to agree with you here. Catherine will be heartbroken throughout the Ex’s storyline which is heartbreaking for me. I just hope it doesn’t turn out as bad I’m thinking it will be. And I want Vincent to work REALLY HARD to get back into Catherine’s good graces when the Ex is gone, she should not take him back so easily. By the looks of the spoilers, she seems to be understanding and Vincent looks like he is being a bit selfish in all this. We know he eventually comes back to Catherine, but it should not be easy. He needs to realize how much hurt he caused her and that’s what I hope.

Comment by hcc – January 23, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to this new wrinkle in the story arc. I wonder who else Vincent is hiding from that could pop up later?

Comment by TVDIVA – January 23, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am i the only one who doiesn`t want Cat just take him back after all the cheating? Do girls so obssed with Vincent that they`d let him do whatever he wants.

Comment by Seth – January 23, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says he is cheating?? Anyway, really looking forward to tomorrow’s episode!

Comment by Autumn – January 23, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t read one article that says he’s going to cheat on Catherine.

Comment by Renee – January 23, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We don’t know if he will be cheating. But I have to agree that Catherine should not take him back so easily. Let him suffer a bit like she will be suffering from heartbreak throughout the Ex’s episodes.

Comment by hcc – January 23, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Check TVGuide for the Ryan interview. It doesn”t look likr cheating at all…we also have lots of Vincat loving to look forward to :)

Comment by Sharie – January 23, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very excited for this storyline. I think this is going to be a big emotional journey. I trust the actors and writers to keep the real love story brewing. We all know it is called Beauty and the Beast and who that means. Bring it on… I don’t mind a crazy curved road to a happy destination… I am in it for as long as the ride lasts. This is going to be great!!

Comment by Dulci – January 23, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TeamCat. Vincent please just go away with your ex, Evan is here to stay!

Comment by Jay – January 23, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eee gads!! I’m just so excited!!!! I’ve missed this show SO much.
    And I hope that they don’t villanize Alex; that they make us hate her cause she’s a threat to the main couple. I want her to be cool.
    But Cat/Vincent for ever!!!

Comment by mia – January 23, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! And I want Alex to be cool as well. This is a show about adults not kids so hopefully this will be handled in a mature manner. Hopefully.

Comment by Renee – January 23, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they will keep her cool, as in the pictures where they all talking and as th spoilers where Cat pushes Vincent to tell her the trught about him being the beast, also as long as Cat approves or kind of consents it, we will all have to accept our beloved Cat’s decision :)

Comment by Claudia – January 24, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like the Ex storyline whatsoever. Do they really need 4 episodes for this? I’m just getting a bit tired of the triangles, it’s an overused concept and was hoping BATB wouldn’t go down this path. It seems to me this is not the only triangle they are going to explore which is a shame. I just want to see Catherine and Vincent together. I think Vincent will hurt Catherine really bad and I hope she doesn’t take him back so easily.

Comment by hcc – January 23, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for this new episode! This is by far my favorite show on TV. It gets better and better with every episode. I re-watched the pilot recently and noticed how much all the characters have changed and grown since then. I’m really loving the direction the writers have decided to take things, and I think the introduction of Alex’s character is a great idea! Looking forward to seeing how things progress for Vincent and Cat!!

Comment by Jeyney – January 24, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t quite explain, it’s cheesy, heart wrenching, the cases still need to get better, but damn Cat and Vincent have an awesome chemistry, so basically I’m sold!! guilty pleasure all the way + is really cute!! I just think they could play a bit more with the looks of Vincent, for a beast,well really hot for one!!

Comment by onlyakb – January 24, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is this talk about cheating?! Vincent and Cat aren’t even officially together yet! There is no reason to get your knickers in a twist! Calm down, sheesh.

Comment by Michelle – January 24, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem seems to be that Alex saw him, he is going to have to lie to her. He won’t tell her what he is, and he is going to want her to keep quiet about seeing him. Plus he feels guilty about leaving her without any explanation, as obviously he was in love with her at some point. It is going to be difficult for him, he is only beginning his relationship with Catherine, wheras he was engaged to Alex. I think it will be very interesting how the writers play this out, I’m just like everyone else I want Vincent and Catherine to be together eventually, but the fun is in the waiting!

Comment by Edna – January 24, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the preview article. Never thought I’d ever watch a CW show but this season gave Arrow (because of the reviews) and Beauty (because of Kreuk) a try. I gave up on Arrow after 5-6 episodes but kept with Beauty because the characters were likeable, I enjoyed watching their interactions with one another, and the cast had really nice chemistry. Glad the show is getting more attention.

Comment by KC – January 24, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here, I think I havent been to the CW since Roswell was on the WB and then like 2 first seasons of Smallville, until now, gave Arrow a try, got lost in episode 5 or 6 and Im obsessed with BatB I think what I like about this show, it might get cheese at times but the chemistry between KK and JR is amazing, and also I like the way these two actors are engaged to their characters it makes this show has some soul, they are as enthusiastic to the project as we are as fans….as that is a plus now these days so Im hoping they keep up the good work and this show gets more and more attention which I think it is, the hiatus and the cliffhanger in the mid season finale plus the PCA helped them a lot….hopefully, we will see the results on the viewership tonite!!!!!

Comment by Claudia – January 24, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am glad you mentioned this because I used to love Roswell and I feel like Beauty and Beast is following almost the exact same plot lines as Roswell Season 1 did. This explains why I am an so addicted. Hero and heroine taking forever to get together, not telling the best friend and lying to everyone about it, government officials chasing them, appearance of the past love interest (remember Tess?). Down to the white room. So similar I wonder if they are borrowing.

Comment by Kelly B – March 31, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Bridget Regan….the girl is a fox and deserves a show that will last.

Comment by Shaun – January 24, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the ratings increase. People need to give it a chance because its so much better than what it sounds. I think the whole Beauty and the Beast title idea is what throws people off. I would have titled it differently.

I do love Cat and Vincent. They have such great chemistry. Just watch that dance scene at her fathers wedding. My God.

Im excited to see what happens next. I dont want them hooking up yet, but a kiss would be nice, just to push the story forward little more.

Comment by jjovana3 – January 24, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I havent been to the CW since Roswell was on the WB and then like 2 first seasons of Smallville, until now, gave Arrow a try, got lost in episode 5 or 6 and Im obsessed with BatB I think what I like about this show, it might get cheese at times but the chemistry between KK and JR is amazing, and also I like the way these two actors are engaged to their characters it makes this show has some soul, they are as enthusiastic to the project as we are as fans….as that is a plus now these days so Im hoping they keep up the good work and this show gets more and more attention which I think it is, the hiatus and the cliffhanger in the mid season finale plus the PCA helped them a lot….hopefully, we will see the results on the viewership tonite!!!!!

Comment by Claudia – January 24, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it is important for him to properly say goodbye, but right now I feel like Vincent is a pig for not telling Alex the truth about cat. It’s only fair for both women to make their own decisions. I don’t like watching cat hurt alone. But what the heck do I know, right? I’m just the viewer…

Comment by Ada – January 26, 2013 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post