Pilot Scoop: CBS Orders Bad Teacher Adaptation From Former Community Scribe

Bad Teacher CBS Comedy PilotCBS ordered two additional pilots late Wednesday, including a small screen adaptation of Bad Teacher.

Based on the 2011 Cameron Diaz flick, the single camera project centers on a sexy, foul-mouthed divorcee who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: CBS Orders Drama From Bones Creator Hart Hanson Plus 2 Others

Community and Happy Endings scribe Hilary Winston wrote the script and will serve as an EP alongside the team behind the film version, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupinsky.

CBS also ordered The Advocates, a drama from Mentalist creator Bruno Heller about a female lawyer and a male ex-con who team up as “victim advocates.”

1. Gilda says:

I didn’t find that movie particularly funny *with* all the swearing. Doesn’t exactly scream successful broadcast network show to me…

• dude says:

There was a little show in the 90s that premiered based on a bad movie that no one thought would be successful. I believe it was called Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

2. rod says:

Bad Teacher wasnt really that funny, but having a Community/Happy Endings writer in makes me wanna watch it.

3. João Amaral says:

Not a big fan of the movie, but if the pilot ends up bing picked for a season i will watch it because I really like Hilary Winston.

4. Kalee says:

Single-camera comedy? CBS? Say what now?

5. Alice says:

Bad Teacher was funny “IF” you work at a school.

• Amber says:

I don’t work at a school and thought it was funny. I redboxed Bad Teacher and Bridesmaids and watched them in the same night. I had a stomach ache from laughing at Bad Teacher and didn’t get the fuss about Bridesmaids. I’m excited about this.

• dude says:

It was funny. It had a good cast and it had it’s moments it just wasn’t a great overall movie. While I like the idea from a creative standpoint, I’m not a fan of movies that feature a terrible character that is never redeemed. Bad Teacher and Young Adult both did it that year and while I like both performances, there was no story to either movie.

• Jason says:

Bad Teacher was great because they didn’t try to redeem her!! I agree Bad teacher was way funnier then Bridesmaids.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

Never saw the movie. I heard it was terrible. But I suppose that means nothing for the show’s prospects, there have been a few bad movies that were made into stupendous TV shows.

7. kavyn says:

I might be into this idea if they can snag Phyllis from the Office again. She was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie.

8. Jessie says:

This is going to be like Dont Trust the B on Abc and I doubt it goes anywhere.

9. Jinjeon says:

No one will come close to what Cameron Diaz achieved in this movie. She was spectacularly funny imo. But I think Portia de Rossi would be great.

10. J says:

A single camera sitcom on CBS? Written by a Community/Happy Endings writer? Based on a lame film that might actually present a solid premise for an on-going show?

I honestly have no idea what to expect here. It could be great. It could also be 2 Broke Girls.

11. Philipp says:

Yeah because the movie was oh so funny they just HAVE TO turn this into a TV show because it’s gonna be even more hilarious every week…

12. Alan says:

actually thats not too bad. the premise is much better for a tv show than a movie anyway and with the calibre of writing staff it could be great. just because the movie was supposedly bad doesnt mean that will have an effect on the quality of the show, remember buffy was a movie first. hell cbs are even allowing it to be a single camera show and we all know they are allergic to them.

13. Jason says:

Since Ben and KAte is practically cancelled I hope they bring Lucy Punch on to reprise her role!