Pilot Scoop: CBS Orders Bad Teacher Adaptation From Former Community Scribe

Get More: News, Pilots

Bad Teacher CBS Comedy PilotCBS ordered two additional pilots late Wednesday, including a small screen adaptation of Bad Teacher.

Based on the 2011 Cameron Diaz flick, the single camera project centers on a sexy, foul-mouthed divorcee who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: CBS Orders Drama From Bones Creator Hart Hanson Plus 2 Others

Community and Happy Endings scribe Hilary Winston wrote the script and will serve as an EP alongside the team behind the film version, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupinsky.

CBS also ordered The Advocates, a drama from Mentalist creator Bruno Heller about a female lawyer and a male ex-con who team up as “victim advocates.”

Comments (22)

• I didn’t find that movie particularly funny *with* all the swearing. Doesn’t exactly scream successful broadcast network show to me…

Comment by Gilda – January 23, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a little show in the 90s that premiered based on a bad movie that no one thought would be successful. I believe it was called Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Comment by dude – January 24, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad Teacher wasnt really that funny, but having a Community/Happy Endings writer in makes me wanna watch it.

Comment by rod – January 23, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is exactly how I feel. If she wrote for two of the funniest shows on TV, this can’t be that bad!

Comment by Eric – January 23, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a big fan of the movie, but if the pilot ends up bing picked for a season i will watch it because I really like Hilary Winston.

Comment by João Amaral – January 23, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Single-camera comedy? CBS? Say what now?

Comment by Kalee – January 23, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad Teacher was funny “IF” you work at a school.

Comment by Alice – January 23, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t work at a school and thought it was funny. I redboxed Bad Teacher and Bridesmaids and watched them in the same night. I had a stomach ache from laughing at Bad Teacher and didn’t get the fuss about Bridesmaids. I’m excited about this.

Comment by Amber – January 23, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was funny. It had a good cast and it had it’s moments it just wasn’t a great overall movie. While I like the idea from a creative standpoint, I’m not a fan of movies that feature a terrible character that is never redeemed. Bad Teacher and Young Adult both did it that year and while I like both performances, there was no story to either movie.

Comment by dude – January 24, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bad Teacher was great because they didn’t try to redeem her!! I agree Bad teacher was way funnier then Bridesmaids.

Comment by Jason – January 24, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never saw the movie. I heard it was terrible. But I suppose that means nothing for the show’s prospects, there have been a few bad movies that were made into stupendous TV shows.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 23, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might be into this idea if they can snag Phyllis from the Office again. She was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie.

Comment by kavyn – January 23, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is going to be like Dont Trust the B on Abc and I doubt it goes anywhere.

Comment by Jessie – January 23, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one will come close to what Cameron Diaz achieved in this movie. She was spectacularly funny imo. But I think Portia de Rossi would be great.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 24, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never thought of Portia, but she would absolutely kill in this role!!!!!

Comment by ragincajun – January 24, 2013 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s perfect when playing witty, sexy bitches and that’s what this role calls for.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 24, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A single camera sitcom on CBS? Written by a Community/Happy Endings writer? Based on a lame film that might actually present a solid premise for an on-going show?

I honestly have no idea what to expect here. It could be great. It could also be 2 Broke Girls.

Comment by J – January 24, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah because the movie was oh so funny they just HAVE TO turn this into a TV show because it’s gonna be even more hilarious every week…

Comment by Philipp – January 24, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • actually thats not too bad. the premise is much better for a tv show than a movie anyway and with the calibre of writing staff it could be great. just because the movie was supposedly bad doesnt mean that will have an effect on the quality of the show, remember buffy was a movie first. hell cbs are even allowing it to be a single camera show and we all know they are allergic to them.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Ben and KAte is practically cancelled I hope they bring Lucy Punch on to reprise her role!

Comment by Jason – January 24, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post