Supernatural Preview: Felicia Day Introduces the Winchesters to the World of LARPing

LARP and the Real GirlSupernatural is about to witness the dawning of a brand new (Felicia) day.

On this Wednesday’s episode (The CW, 9/8c), the Winchesters investigate two mysterious deaths among a community of LARPers (live action role players, for the uninitiated). When they arrive at the camp, it’s not a demon they find right off the bat, but an unexpected old friend in the form of Charlie, played by returning guest star/geek goddess Felicia Day. It seems the hacker extraordinaire has found her oasis as the Queen of Moondoor.

PHOTOS | Supernatural Sneak Peek: Sam and Dean Meet Grandpa Winchester in ‘Surprising’ Mythology Ep

Empowered by her new position, Charlie isn’t the same girl that Dean and Sam first met last season while battling Leviathan Dick Roman. In fact, their reunion is “not the most friendly,” previews Day. After all, the much wiser Charlie now knows that where the Winchesters go, bad things are brewing.

(The set of the CW series, on the other hand, “is very welcoming and really allows you do to do your best work because the environment is very inclusive and casual and very creative,” says the actress. “Especially when you’re walking into a brand new world, like we are in this episode with LARPing, it’s easy to jump feet first right in and just feel incredibly comfortable with leather pants on.”)

“This Charlie is a little bit more beaten up and a little bit more gun-shy in a sense,” says Day. “But she’s still the kind of girl who’s going to meet you toe-to-toe. She’s never going to back down if she believes something.”

That comes in handy when going up against the Winchesters. “She’s not intimidated, and she’s willing to question,” she continues. “That brings out a lot of fun dynamics between her and, especially, Dean.”

But the real entertainment of the episode is the LARPing, which believe it or not, Day – who’s known for her online gamer web series The Guild, as well as the YouTube channel Geek & Sundry – has never done before!

“I’ve done enough [Dungeons & Dragons] that I know I would love it if I had the time to do it,” she says. “So this is wish fulfillment for me to be able to put on an outfit and traverse the world.”

RELATED | CW Boss Talks Wonder Woman, Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Supernatural Renewal and More!

LARP and the Real GirlTo top it off, “I got to wear a gown and a crown, which I think is my new acting head shot,” she jokes. “It’s a beautiful picture.” Look for Charlie, sword in hand, to also get involved in “a little bit of action,”  as well as something that may have made the actress blush.

“I just will say I do things I’ve never done before in this episode,” she teases.

And what of the brothers’ adventures in role playing? Photos already have revealed Dean’s medieval attire, but will Sammy also get dressed up for the affair?

“I think that there might be costumes on everybody at a certain point,” hedges the actress. “I can tell you there are definitely things you’re going to want to screenshot and [make into] animated GIFs. You can highlight the quotes in the scripts. It’s really witty and well-written.”

Day can’t say whether another return appearance from the hacker is in store, but she’s more than happy to revisit the role. “I know the legacy of women on Supernatural is a little bit up and down,” she says. “Everybody assumes you’re going to be in deathly peril all the time. So having Charlie be a part of the world in a different way and having the fans like her is really important to me and made me excited to go back.”

1. Love Felicia Day and Charlie, and this episode sounds amazing. The promo video and pictures already had me excited, but this just puts it over the top! Charlie is a very fun, strong lady and I love the dynamic she brings.

2. Anon R says:

I wish Felicia Day is my best friend. Bless her for creating The Guild, amongst other things.

3. Alan says:

looking forward to this. i felt charlie was a very different type of character compared to what the boys normally get mixed up with (neither a helpless waste of space that needs to be saved all the time or a badass who overshadows the boys, she fit nicely in there as just slightly less useful than the boys) so it will be interesting to see how she has changed since the last time they met. i felt she had an innocence about her when they first met that was ripped away when she found out about the crazy crap that happens everyday and nobody notices so it will be interesting to see how that knowledge has affected her and her outlook on life.
    plus we get felicia day, whats not to like?

4. tp says:

I know for sure I’m in the minority, but I don’t care for her. I didn’t like her on Eureka either. She just kinda annoys me. However, I’m looking forward to this episode. I can’t wait to see everyone in costume.

• Ella says:

You’re not, I don’t care for her either. She’s annoying, unattractive and completely and totally overrated.

• Beth says:

I think she’s awesome. Your negativity is not productive, ya know. So a character you don’t like is appearing on a tv show. It doesn’t mean you should take the opportunity to slag on her actress. You’re just being needlessly disrespectful and insulting, with this post.

• 142 says:

Their negativity is actually more productive than your blind praise. You’re just being needlessly defensive of any criticism, this is the kind of attitude that kills artists.

5. Linda says:

The female characters I don’t like, they kept returning *Ruby, Amelia, Lisa* and the ones I do like, don’t, *Jody, Kathleen, Missouri, Jess*

I’ve already seen the screenshot of both Dean and Sam dressed up. It looks to be at the end for a *Battle Royale*. Mmm, Jared wearing leather pants.

6. ninamags says:

Love that the boys will be in costume!!

I do like Felicia and her character.

7. mac says:

noooo not this annoying wannabe nerd again D=

8. VIV says:

Glad she’ll be back – loved Charlie!

9. Al says:

Can’t wait for the episode! Thanks!

10. Nico says:

Oh God, another character whose just going to be there to put Dean in his place. Like he doesn’t get that enough from Sam.

• Loli("v") says:

I dunno what happened to my first reply but ….
      The writers keep screwing with Dean so horribly it’s getting way too old and unjustified. How is the badars hunter who’d killed all kinds of scary & crazy, who’s been to hell & purgatory and tortured souls in such a fierce and cold manner accept all kinds of crap that gets thrown at you from your lil brother and whoever, characters who don’t even matter, and not have anything to say!! just take it all in and not say a word, let them guilt you into everything WTH! it’s not even characteristically realistic.. I resent the writer for playing on that note way too far

• Alan says:

dean is the woobie of the show, staring into the middle distance after the latest load of crap has hit is basically his only function

• Loli("v") says:

well a smart writer would be able to see that he should be a lot more than that ‘coz he has enormous potential as a character to be way more but the writers are being pathetic

• Alan says:

oh i agree, dean is my favourite character but it is basically the only reason he exists in the story

11. Ella says:

UGH, I don’t like Felicia Day or Charlie. It annoys me that she thinks fans actually do.

• Techrandy says:

I don’t understand you Felicia Day haters out there. oh well more for us!

• Beth says:

I’m glad she thinks fans like her and her character, because that’s true! I love her, and her character. You have the right to dislike her, and Charlie, but please don’t go pretending that your opinion is universal. :)

• Alan says:

just because you dont doesnt mean others think the same way, i like her and i like the character so speak for yourself in future

12. lOR says:

I love Charlie! This episode is going to be epic. The sad note is that Im gonna miss Cas.

13. Beth says:

I am so excited to see Felicia return to the show! I loved her character when she first appeared, and this episode looks like it will be a ton of fun (and a good respite from the heavy tragedy of last episode). I’ll miss Cas, but I’ll be thrilled to see the boys in leather pants. The promo had me in stitches. I’ll definitely be tuning in tonight!