Exclusive Side-by-Side First Look: Hawaii Five-0 Updates a Classic Episode

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

Hawaii Five-0 will revisit one of its best-known episodes on Feb. 4 (CBS, 10/9c), and we’ve got your exclusive side-by-side comparison of the remake and the original.

In “Hookman,” a mysterious man who has lost both of his hands is bent on revenge and targeting the police — including McGarrett. Turns out, the cop’s pop was one of the officers responsible for the man’s maiming years ago.

RELATED | TVLine Items: Summer Glau Gets Punchy in Hawaii Five-0

Fans of the original series will remember the episode’s title and plot from the sixth season premiere, which nabbed an Emmy for the iconic drama. Only back then, a double amputee gunned for Jack Lord’s Steve McGarrett, who’d played a huge role in his accident.

Peter Weller (Robocop) pulls double duty by directing and guest-starring in the episode, which also features The E Street Band’s Max Weinberg and Chapelle’s Show‘s Charlie Murphy.

The current series pays homage to the classic hour by shooting some scenes in the same locations the original used in 1973. Take a look at Alex O’Loughlin and Lord in the photos below, then hit the comments: Are you looking forward to the updated episode?

h50_hookman_embed1

h50_hookman_embed2

Comments (47)

• It’ll be neat to see. I used to watch the original series with my mom but I was much younger then. I don’t honestly remember this episode but I’m sure she will.

Comment by SK – January 22, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved the origional show and love the new show and i honestly remeber parts of the the old show but– if you want to see them watch me tv and they all come back

Comment by patricia – January 23, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t remember where I put my car keys, and I’m supposed to remember this? ;)

Comment by ck – January 22, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1) Totally awesome!

2) Awww, no Cath, then? I love her!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 22, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always like photos of then and now. I have watched the new Hawaii 5-0, here and there, but not currently. I never saw the original, it was on before my time, though my parents I thinked watched it. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – January 22, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The original Five-O was my favorite series of all time (I’m 56 now) and the new version is a great update of the original. I don’t remember that particular episode, having been 16 at the time, but I’ll check it out.

Comment by Marc – January 22, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Weller is very good at portraying badass, but Jay J. Armes is real-life badass!

Comment by Knoodelhed – January 22, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One thing that could link the old and the new, have a picture of Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett on Steve McGarrett’s desk of today.

Comment by James Barcus – January 22, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve often wondered why they don’t do that, at least for continuity’s sake.
      After all, isn’t the origional Steve [Jack Lord's character] supposed to be this Steve’s father? If so wouldn’t it be normal to have some sort of personal item, like a photo on his desk?
      Nice to know I’m not the only one who thinks of these things!

Comment by Sue – January 23, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Jack Lord’s character was not Steve McGarrett’s father in the new Hawaii 5-0. Retired HPD Officer John McGarrett, who got murdered in the pilot episode, was Steve’s father.

Comment by Nancy Vinock – January 24, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. I’m going to comment on behalf of my husband about last night’s episode. How in the world could Danny have missed Wo Fat from the helicopter??
    That’s all. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 22, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to admit I agree, only guess is that McGarrett has to be the one to take him down

Comment by Sonya – January 22, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly……you know as well as I that wolfat has to get away otherwise the show wouldnt be a surprise

Comment by Brian – January 22, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chopper blade rotation vibration makes it almost impossible to keep aim steady. Automatic weapons are not made for accuracy like a pistol. They have their own unsteady dynamic. Combine those two elements……

Comment by teresealea – January 22, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Enough bullets were flying everywhere at least one would have hit him…..just sayin…..

Comment by Susan Dahl – January 23, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Kim…why do they make it so obvious they don’t want Wo Fat shot…They are insinuating that Danny is a total lousy shot! Not realistic at all! My husband and I both commented on this “bad visual” to keep a movie plot going….

Comment by Susan Dahl – January 23, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the episode well as I have the DVD’s from the original Hawaii Five-O and it was one of my favorites…..Jay J. Armes as Hookman was terrific! I loved Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett but I also love Alex…he’s so nice to look at!

Comment by Anne S. – January 22, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is so true. He’s so pretty. :) haha

Comment by Kim R – January 22, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the original when I was younger, totally love the new Hawaii Five-O!!! Have been to Hawaii several times and love it and enjoy seeing places that my husband and I visited and also getting ideas for things and places to visit when we get to return.

Comment by Sonya – January 22, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch the original with my parents as a kid … but this new and improved version is beyond all expectations … great story, fantastic interpersonal relationships, I love the buddy comedy angel between Steve and Danno … the setting is out of this world … and no one …no one does cargo pants justice like McGarrett. Alex O’Laughin is a perfect fit! Er …uh as McGarrett … ;-)

Comment by Mayrbear's Lair – January 22, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Use to watch the original series with my mom and now I get to watch the new series to with her. It’s our Monday night tradition. Although I can’t wait to see this episode on the 4.

Comment by Roryann Reinbold – January 22, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the original and I loved Jack Lord! He made sure the native Hawaiians were included in the show! I didn’t think I would like the new one but have to say that the producers , directors, and actors have put together a great assemble and made it a don’t miss tv show! Hope they win some Emmys with the new one and that it is on for a long time like the original!!

Comment by Betty – January 22, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes as a matter of fact I do remember this episode quite well with Jack Lord. I never missed Hawaii Five-O. It was good back then and just as terrific today. I am looking very forward to seeing it, but then again I’m always looking forward to seeing H5O. No one I think could have done such a fantastic job of putting together four people in a TV program with laughter, drama, action, family, etc. like Peter has. I don’t feel any show to date on TV has that callaboration. Looking very forward to this one.

Comment by Nancy – January 22, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for this episode! Thanks for paying homage to the original series!

Comment by Konelio Pele Jr – January 22, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always been a fan of Hawaii 5-0. Love it when you bring in the old with the new. Thanks for the “Classic original episode” new way of comparison. fans do not have to say the “old.”
    I look forward to the remake, and remember the original.

Comment by carol – January 22, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carol, thank you for favoring the term “original” instead of “old.” Glen Olson and I were the original writers of “Hookman.” Rod Baker

Comment by Rod Baker – January 25, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m another viewer who has fond memories of the original show, it was one of my father’s favorites. I didn’t expect to enjoy this new version, but was and continue to be very pleasantly surprised and impressed by the show. Looking forward to this episode.

Comment by suzi – January 22, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you there, My son got me hooked on this one.

Comment by lee – January 23, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this will be so neet. thats so cool that they can do that.im looking forward to watching it.as always.love Hawaii 5-0 both the old n the new

Comment by sue – January 22, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dad and I used to watch Jack Lord in Hawaii 5-0..it was good then, and it’s even better now. Dad and I both still watch Hawaii 5-0. This is a great show, awesome series…..and damn good looking actors/actress…..my only complaint is that the theme song used to run longer…. always loved the theme song too… still have old version….love the show

Comment by brenda – January 22, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Mom thought Jack Lord was just oh so hansome and I think Alex O’Loughlin is oh so hot. Family tradition–we love our McGees.

Comment by Ivy – January 22, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hawaii 5-0 and can’t get enough…this will be very interesting to watch…wish they could rerun the original as well!

Comment by Littledevil – January 22, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for that espoide, but can anyone explain to me how the heck danny missed wo fat? I mean he’s a good shooter, but he couldn’t hit wo fat from that distance?

Comment by Brian – January 22, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This why I LOVE this show it respects its roots. Iam looking forward to seeing this espoide.

Comment by Kim – January 22, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can not wait to see the chapter. And sure to be as good, or more than the original. I love the new version of the series. Every season is better than the other. And each chapter better than the last. Kiss and hug from Buenos Aires. Love

Comment by Beatriz – January 23, 2013 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We get to watch both the old series and the new. The old series is on METV a local station.
    I enjoy watching the old series, and I enjoyed watching it when it first came on. I love the new series. As in the old Danny doesn’t get to drive a car too much unless he’s alone. I can’t wait to see this remake. It should be interesting.

Comment by Rosemarie McCall – January 23, 2013 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Magnum PI coming on for a show with Five O’..it would be awesome!!!

Comment by Shannaj88 – January 23, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey…what an awesome idea!
      I’d really enjoy watching that one.
      How about adding Dog the Bounty Hunter in just for fun, too! Well…maybe not!

Comment by Sue – January 23, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the reruns of the old show and i love the new show

Comment by laura carr – January 23, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE ORIGINAL 5 0 WAS FANTASTIC, I LOVED JACK LORD AS MCGARRET AND I WATCHED IT ALL THE TIME, I WILL HAVE TO WATCH THE ONE ON THE 4TH TO SEE IF I REMEMBER IT. I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I LOVE THE NEW VERSION AS WELL, ALL OF THE ACTORS ARE FANTASTIC AND ALEX IS GORGEOUS. I REALLY LOVE THE BANTER BETWEEN HIM AND DANNY, SCOTT IS EXCELLENT IN THAT ROLE. I HOPE WE HAVE THE SHOW FOR MANY MORE SEASONS. I ONLY HAVE THE FIRST 4 SEASONS OF THE ORIGINAL SHOW AND PLAN TO GET THE REST. I WILL ALSO BE GETTING THE NEW 5 0 SEASONS AS WELL.

Comment by Dee Castillo – January 23, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a big fan of the orginal Hawaii Five-O and still watch in on ME TV. Some of the episodes in the current series are kind of ridiculous but I still like the show. There is great chemistry between the actors and watching it always cheers me up. It is also nice to see beautiful scenes from Hawaii. Alex is not hard on the eyes either. Compared to other series he starred in this is by far his best role. Scott Caan is perfect for the role of Danno!

Comment by Barb Sheppard – January 24, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time…. The new show needs to be a little more dramatic less Microsoft plugs and gadgets…

Comment by Gary – January 24, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. They need more actual police work and substance and less electronics and filler scenery. And btw… is McGarrett ever going to get his Mercury back from the Gov’s mansion where he parked it in season 1? I’m sure its been impounded by now!

Comment by Monty – January 25, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt he’s getting the Mercury back since Chevrolet is the “official” car of the current series.

Comment by Pat – January 25, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to watching. I haven’t missed an episode yet (new Hawaii Five-0). I’m sorry to say I only saw some of the original series.

Comment by Kathy Hurst – January 25, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they’d show the original Hookman episode and then the new one. Always watched the original show and love the new one. Alex is great in whatever he’s in. Made a gorgeous vampire in Moonlight too!

Comment by Marti Bolding – January 27, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WATCHED THE ORIGINAL BACK THEN,IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE HITMAN WAS A DOUBLE AMPUTEE IN REAL LIFE .

Comment by MAD HOBBIT – January 28, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post