Castle Scoop: Look Who's Playing Rick's Dad!

Get More: Casting News

Castle Season 5 James Brolin Cast as Castle's FatherComing soon on Castle: A much anticipated father-son reunion.

The ABC hit is finally introducing Rick’s MIA dad this February, and TVLine has learned that he will be played by James Brolin!

The Emmy-winning acting vet will appear in Castle‘s big February sweeps two-parter (set to air on Feb. 18 and Feb. 25), which finds Rick and Kate investigating a murder that subsequently exposes a plot to kidnap a wealthy Middle Eastern businessman’s daughter.

RELATED | Will a Castle Couple Reconnect?

As TVLine previously reported, Nip/Tuck‘s Dylan Walsh guest stars in both episodes as FBI Agent Harris, an even-keeled professional brought in to help find the kidnappers.

It’s unclear how Castle’s pa figures into the case, if at all.

Brolin — who won Emmy gold in 1970 for his role on Marcus Welby, M.D. — counts The Defenders, Psych and Law & Order: SVU as his most recent TV appearances. He’ll also be seen later this season playing the father of another TV leading man — Joel McHale’s Jeff Winger on Community.

Comments (46)

• I’m so excited for this two parter! I kind of though, especially after last nights episode, that it was going to involve something happening to Alexis. I’m ready for February, Castle always hits a home run with their two part episodes!

Comment by Andrea – January 22, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can. Not. Wait. We’ve been wondering when this will occur and I could not be more excited for this casting news. He’ll be awesome.

Comment by Annie – January 22, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hard to explain why, but Brolin feels too … Harsh for the role. I picture a Bon vivant, charming, cosmopolitan gentleman. If the Dos Equis guy is unavailable, is Donald Sutherland interested?

Comment by Taniaha – January 22, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His mom was the hippy one….father could be any type since they weren’t married,correct?

Comment by Shaun – January 22, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would NOT want Donald Sutherland to play Castle’s dad. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a brilliant actor and I like him very much, but for me he always comes across as a bit of a meany or someone who has a second agenda and is not what he seems to be. Well, it could be because he’s usually playing this kind of character LOL. But I think that’s exactly the reason I don’t want him to be playing Castle’s dad – it just wouldn’t sit right with me.

Comment by Sandra – January 22, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’s an actor, he can play it however he wants not just the gruff guy he usually is

Comment by Alan – January 22, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To me Sutherland will always be “Oddball” in Kelly’s Heroes.

Comment by Ru – January 23, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey look its Jeff Winger’s dad! As a Castle and Community fan, its pretty funny that these episodes will be airing around the same time too.

Comment by Katherine – January 22, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s become the go-to absentee father.

Comment by aleksa – January 22, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Handsome dad, handsome son!
    Can’t wait to watch the awkwardness between them unfold.

Comment by Miranda – January 22, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff’s dad and Castle’s dad? Is there anything else you want to tell us Mr. Brolin?!?!

Comment by KC – January 22, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brolin will be playing on-screen father of both Joel McHale and Nathan Fillion. That is so cool.

Comment by M – January 22, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, this casting is wonderful. I’m so excited!!!

Comment by Alyssa – January 22, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, so Richard Castle and Jeff Winger are related! It would make a nice crossover. Especially Nathan Fillion always hanging around at the set of Community.

Comment by Hani Hariprabowo (@hanitje) – January 22, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan is such a Community fan he must be trilled!!

Comment by Mari – January 22, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha I know, right? Joel and Nathan became TV bros for real after all their flirting on Twitter and behind the scenes LOL.

Comment by feds – January 22, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is he really?
      Cool. I like him even more now :D.

Comment by Angela – January 22, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooooo. I was so hoping for John Larroquette. He would have been perfect!!

Comment by swivelchairpotato – January 22, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH!! That would’ve been fun! I didn’t even think of that but I adore John. He would’ve been great.
      I really like James, though, and am looking toward to seeing how this plays out.

Comment by SW – January 22, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, he tends to be too flip/smarmy in his delivery. If this storyline has any crumb of gravitas to it, JL woulda been all wrong.

Comment by lauren – January 22, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good job casting people. Seems perfect.

Comment by Lisa – January 22, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PERFECT!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kate – January 22, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this one! Probably with the exception of the last two-parter, Castle’s two-parters usually knock it out of the park. Something makes me think Alexis/ and or Martha will be in danger, as I think I remember Andrew Marlowe mentioning that it would be more personal. Should be a great 2 eps

Comment by Jess – January 22, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? The last two-parter knocked it out of the park too. I love Pandora and Linchpin. All the Castle two-parters have been phenomenal! This one looks like it should live up to the rest. Can’t wait!

Comment by LeighLee – January 22, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pandora was good, but Linchpin was a disaster all around.

Comment by martina – January 22, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I kind of agree with you; I loved Pandora, but Linchpin not so much:(
          But both S2 and S3 two parters were amazing! And somehow I feel (and expect) these ones to be as good:)

Comment by Mary – January 24, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the last two-parter was great, much better than the dirty bomb one from the season before

Comment by Alan – January 22, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for David Selby or Robert Foxworth (aka Richarding Channing & Chase Gioberti) to reunite with Susan Sullivan

Comment by Lisa – January 22, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh that would have been PERFECT! Robert Foxworth :)

Comment by ABurt221 – January 22, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I cannot be more excited! Awesome!!! Bring on the two-parter!

Comment by Steph – January 22, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love James Brolin! Can’t wait

Comment by ABurt221 – January 22, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just cant imigine Castles mom with Brolin. Lol I think she would have needed someone much more free spirited

Comment by Jan – January 22, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he is an actor. We’ll see how he interprets the role. Looking forward to it.

Comment by prish – January 22, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So how may weeks we need to past until Feb. 18? This scoop is killing me! I want february coming soon. And yes Mr. Brolin as Nathan’s dad and also Joel McHale’s dad, isn’t that perfect? Three handsome guy. And I wish this episode will be a kick-ass for this season, because I haven’t found one.

Comment by siska – January 22, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean if they ever make a Derek Storm movie Josh Brolin should play him?

Comment by vincent dante – January 22, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle’s free spiritism comes from Martha! I like the idea that his dad is all tight up, maybe that why he didn’t want to have anything to do with his son, after all.

Comment by martina – January 22, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After the comment by some past character about his father, I assumed it was about keeping Rick and Martha safe, etc.

Comment by prish – January 22, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh wow, I can’t wait! I didn’t think Rick meeting his father would happen this soon, last I heard the idea had been scrapped so this is great!!! And hopefully we’ll get Castle confiding in Kate about his father, too.

Comment by Caskettfanforever – January 22, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m in the minority here – I am not a fan of this casting. James Brolin just … I don’t know, he’s just never been that good in anything I’ve seen him in.

It’s kinda sad – I’ve been a huge fan of this show since it started, but since they came back from the holiday break, I just haven’t been that interested. I’ve missed the last few episodes, and haven’t been unhappy about it. I’m not sure why.

Comment by lariet50 – January 22, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you Lariet. Don’t like James Brolin much. Episodes are missing good scenes between Castle and Beckett lately- I’m losing interest too.

Comment by Phoebe – January 22, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of Brolin. I’d rather see someone like Harrison Ford [yes, I know he's too big a star to do a TV cameo]. I’d prefer Mitchell Ryan who played Susan Sullivan’s husband on Dharma & Greg.

Comment by Templar – January 22, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so does this mean a crossover between castle and community, we already know A greendale exists in the castle world from a shirt alexis wore one episode.
    good casting, since i kind of expect him to be some kind of higher up in the government this seems just right for the part. people complaining that he doesnt seem to “suit martha” did you ever think that maybe thats why he isnt around?

Comment by Alan – January 22, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not thrilled by this casting, but I’ll reserve judgement until after the episode airs…

Comment by Sunny – January 22, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg, I’m so happy Winger and Castle have the same dad! Lol, love both shows immensely!

Comment by rachelle – January 22, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have the same nose! :)

Comment by esca – January 23, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post