Castle Scoop: Look Who's Playing Rick's Dad!

Castle Season 5 James Brolin Cast as Castle's FatherComing soon on Castle: A much anticipated father-son reunion.

The ABC hit is finally introducing Rick’s MIA dad this February, and TVLine has learned that he will be played by James Brolin!

The Emmy-winning acting vet will appear in Castle‘s big February sweeps two-parter (set to air on Feb. 18 and Feb. 25), which finds Rick and Kate investigating a murder that subsequently exposes a plot to kidnap a wealthy Middle Eastern businessman’s daughter.

RELATED | Will a Castle Couple Reconnect?

As TVLine previously reported, Nip/Tuck‘s Dylan Walsh guest stars in both episodes as FBI Agent Harris, an even-keeled professional brought in to help find the kidnappers.

It’s unclear how Castle’s pa figures into the case, if at all.

Brolin — who won Emmy gold in 1970 for his role on Marcus Welby, M.D. — counts The Defenders, Psych and Law & Order: SVU as his most recent TV appearances. He’ll also be seen later this season playing the father of another TV leading man — Joel McHale’s Jeff Winger on Community.

1. Andrea says:

I’m so excited for this two parter! I kind of though, especially after last nights episode, that it was going to involve something happening to Alexis. I’m ready for February, Castle always hits a home run with their two part episodes!

2. Taniaha says:

Hard to explain why, but Brolin feels too … Harsh for the role. I picture a Bon vivant, charming, cosmopolitan gentleman. If the Dos Equis guy is unavailable, is Donald Sutherland interested?

• Shaun says:

His mom was the hippy one….father could be any type since they weren’t married,correct?

• Sandra says:

I would NOT want Donald Sutherland to play Castle’s dad. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a brilliant actor and I like him very much, but for me he always comes across as a bit of a meany or someone who has a second agenda and is not what he seems to be. Well, it could be because he’s usually playing this kind of character LOL. But I think that’s exactly the reason I don’t want him to be playing Castle’s dad – it just wouldn’t sit right with me.

• Alan says:

he’s an actor, he can play it however he wants not just the gruff guy he usually is

• Ru says:

To me Sutherland will always be “Oddball” in Kelly’s Heroes.

3. Katherine says:

Hey look its Jeff Winger’s dad! As a Castle and Community fan, its pretty funny that these episodes will be airing around the same time too.

4. Miranda says:

Handsome dad, handsome son!
    Can’t wait to watch the awkwardness between them unfold.

5. KC says:

Jeff’s dad and Castle’s dad? Is there anything else you want to tell us Mr. Brolin?!?!

6. M says:

Brolin will be playing on-screen father of both Joel McHale and Nathan Fillion. That is so cool.

7. Alyssa says:

Ugh, this casting is wonderful. I’m so excited!!!

8. Wow, so Richard Castle and Jeff Winger are related! It would make a nice crossover. Especially Nathan Fillion always hanging around at the set of Community.

9. Mari says:

Nathan is such a Community fan he must be trilled!!

10. Noooooooooooo. I was so hoping for John Larroquette. He would have been perfect!!

• SW says:

OH!! That would’ve been fun! I didn’t even think of that but I adore John. He would’ve been great.
      I really like James, though, and am looking toward to seeing how this plays out.

• lauren says:

Nah, he tends to be too flip/smarmy in his delivery. If this storyline has any crumb of gravitas to it, JL woulda been all wrong.

11. Lisa says:

Good job casting people. Seems perfect.

12. Kate says:

PERFECT!!!!!!!!

13. Jess says:

Looking forward to this one! Probably with the exception of the last two-parter, Castle’s two-parters usually knock it out of the park. Something makes me think Alexis/ and or Martha will be in danger, as I think I remember Andrew Marlowe mentioning that it would be more personal. Should be a great 2 eps

• LeighLee says:

What? The last two-parter knocked it out of the park too. I love Pandora and Linchpin. All the Castle two-parters have been phenomenal! This one looks like it should live up to the rest. Can’t wait!

• Alan says:

the last two-parter was great, much better than the dirty bomb one from the season before

14. Lisa says:

I was hoping for David Selby or Robert Foxworth (aka Richarding Channing & Chase Gioberti) to reunite with Susan Sullivan

15. Steph says:

Well I cannot be more excited! Awesome!!! Bring on the two-parter!

16. ABurt221 says:

Love James Brolin! Can’t wait

17. Jan says:

I just cant imigine Castles mom with Brolin. Lol I think she would have needed someone much more free spirited

18. siska says:

So how may weeks we need to past until Feb. 18? This scoop is killing me! I want february coming soon. And yes Mr. Brolin as Nathan’s dad and also Joel McHale’s dad, isn’t that perfect? Three handsome guy. And I wish this episode will be a kick-ass for this season, because I haven’t found one.

19. vincent dante says:

Does this mean if they ever make a Derek Storm movie Josh Brolin should play him?

20. martina says:

Castle’s free spiritism comes from Martha! I like the idea that his dad is all tight up, maybe that why he didn’t want to have anything to do with his son, after all.

21. Caskettfanforever says:

Oh wow, I can’t wait! I didn’t think Rick meeting his father would happen this soon, last I heard the idea had been scrapped so this is great!!! And hopefully we’ll get Castle confiding in Kate about his father, too.

22. lariet50 says:

I guess I’m in the minority here – I am not a fan of this casting. James Brolin just … I don’t know, he’s just never been that good in anything I’ve seen him in.

It’s kinda sad – I’ve been a huge fan of this show since it started, but since they came back from the holiday break, I just haven’t been that interested. I’ve missed the last few episodes, and haven’t been unhappy about it. I’m not sure why.

• Phoebe says:

Agree with you Lariet. Don’t like James Brolin much. Episodes are missing good scenes between Castle and Beckett lately- I’m losing interest too.

23. Templar says:

Not a fan of Brolin. I’d rather see someone like Harrison Ford [yes, I know he's too big a star to do a TV cameo]. I’d prefer Mitchell Ryan who played Susan Sullivan’s husband on Dharma & Greg.

24. Alan says:

so does this mean a crossover between castle and community, we already know A greendale exists in the castle world from a shirt alexis wore one episode.
    good casting, since i kind of expect him to be some kind of higher up in the government this seems just right for the part. people complaining that he doesnt seem to “suit martha” did you ever think that maybe thats why he isnt around?

25. Sunny says:

Not thrilled by this casting, but I’ll reserve judgement until after the episode airs…

26. rachelle says:

Omg, I’m so happy Winger and Castle have the same dad! Lol, love both shows immensely!

27. esca says:

They have the same nose! :)