Jennifer Lawrence Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

top dog chef jennifer lawrence snlShe beat Meryl, she won the Golden Globe, and to cap off her week, Jennifer Lawrence proved a game, funny presence in her Saturday Night Live hosting debut. Lawrence’s opening monologue was adorkably amusing (and, for once, eschewed the show’s trend of so-so song-and-dance routines), her best moments (like Top Dog Chef) were absolutely uproarious, and perhaps most impressive of all, she even managed to score chuckles in sketches that came out of the oven only partially baked (i.e. the “’50s Diner” waitress).

Below, check out my picks (with corresponding video) for the week’s best and worst sketches. And alas, the week was strong enough that Kate McKinnon’s terrific Jodie Foster, that brutally wrong Starbucks Verismo ad, and the Cinemax spoof Danielle: A Free European Woman fell just short of the winner’s circle.

BEST: Top Dog Chef
Every part of this skit was flawless — from names like Padma Leash Me and Tom Collie-Cio to details like the intermittent ringing of a doorbell and that “whisper of urine.” Lawrence’s “someone’s at the door!” freakout was particularly daft. I howled from start to finish.

BEST: Anthony Crispino
Bobby Moynihan definitely wins the cast’s MVP award this week, in no small part due to the wonderful mishearings and misinterpretations of his Second Hand News Correspondent. Listen to his voice go higher and higer as he defends his reporting on subjects like Kim Kardashian still being married to Chris Christie, and the latter being so angry about Kim’s pregancy with Kanye West that “he threw a roller coaster into the ocean.” Genius!

BEST: B108 FM
It’s hard not to love the action at Shakopee, MN’s only hip-hop station, especially because the jokes gets spread among a variety of loopy subjects: The early hours kept by “Richard the Investigator” and “Osama Bin Luscious” (“even Al Roker’s still asleep — YA HEARD?!”); the harrassment of news reader “MC Jiggle Butt” (a perfectly mortified Vanessa Bayer); the perils of having your wife’s kid (Lawrence) as your intern; and even flu season (“Dizziness? I got that!”).

WORST: “Girlfriends” Talk Show
I’m not sure what prompted SNL to bring back a scenario that wasn’t exactly a winner the first time around, but the shenanigans of Aidy Bryant’s square peg and Cecily Strong’s vacuous BFF are already feeling pretty tired. I’m as over it as Lawrence’s NYC-obsessed teen.

WORST: Civil War Love Letters
If this is the kind of dreck that barely utilized Tim Robinson has been waiting to bring to the SNL audience these last few months, then back to the bench with him, I say! And no, the phrase “tit pic” doesn’t get funnier the 114th time you say it.

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Lawrence as host? What did you think were the best and worst sketches? Sound off in the comments!

1. Gailer says:

I was hoping you put up the Hobbit one. I hated that movie and missed most of the SNL spoof of it.

• TV Gord says:

I LOVED the movie, and I loved the SNL bit even more. Hilarious!

I didn’t even know there was going to be a part two and part three until the end of the movie. I was momentarily frustrated, but then I was glad to know there were two more movies coming.

2. dude says:

Jennifer Lawrence was awesome and funny as usual but man was that a painful episode. “The Girlfriends Talk Show” was a sketch that never needed to be brought back (and I liked the Anne Hathaway one) especially since this was literally just the exact same thing with a different host. However, I don’t think it was nearly as bad as that pointless Hunger Games sketch (I honestly felt so sorry for J.Law during that) and that terrible Cinemax one. I got what they were spoofing, it just wasn’t funny. You can’t just parody something, some jokes need to be thrown in there too.

• Emily says:

Agreed. I was really looking forward to this episode because I love Jennifer in everything, but I got so bored. The Lumineers were great and I liked the opening monologue, but that was really about it. Most of the sketches weren’t at all funny and they really could’ve done better with such a talent like Jennifer.

• alexia says:

The opening monologue was the worst part of the show. Lawrence already got backlash because of the Meryl joke. Joking about other nominees was not really a smart move. I blame the writers who couldn’t think of other materials for her.

• KevyB says:

Yeah, that Top Dog Chef thing was TORTURE. Everything was just so corny and obvious. Usually I find the posted clips pretty funny, but I didn’t laugh at one of these. I found the stupid Doritos commercial more entertaining. Really, just… ugh.

• Amanda says:

This was one of the worst episodes I’ve ever seen! The Starbucks commercial and Anthony Crispino were the only parts that gave me a slight chuckle. The monologue flopped because Lawrence was not comfortable reading from the teleprompter.

3. Grace says:

Oh my, The Top Dog Chef was painful to watch. Terrible.

4. mayiread says:

She deserved better.
    She delivered well on what she was given, but she deserved better.

• Jeff says:

I thought she delivered horribly. She was wooden and awkward, not just in her monologue but in every single scene. Not a versatile actress at all. She’s only good in the ‘dark, strong’ dramatic female roles.

• Guest says:

LOL! You’re judging her acting ability from bad SNL sketches. Even Daniel Day Lewis wouldn’t have been able to make those sketches work. Judge JLaw from her movie acting, not SNL.

5. Midori4 says:

The show was horrible. Top Dog Show was the best? Really? I watched for The Lumineers but the skits where horrid.

6. GMom100 says:

What a waste of J Law’s talent!! The Hunger Games sketch was so insulting to Josh Hutcherson! Jen and he are friends! I half expected him to show up in a sketch, but not like that! It must have been painful for her. To me, the only funny ones were the Anthony Crispino and B108 sketches. Overall, I was SO disappointed!

• Philipp says:

I think it wasn’t that insulting, it was a joke (a bad one, but a joke nonetheless). Lawrence seems like a good sport and I don’t think Hutcherson will be offended.

• Alichat says:

I doubt Hutcherson cares, and he’s such a level guy, I doubt he was fazed by the skit. I thought the funniest part of that skit was the guy, who normally did golf and didn’t know what the Hunger Games was, asking if they chatted with their opponents after the games.

7. David says:

Wait….you thought this was a good episode??? What were you on?

• Kim R says:

As I was watching I was just imagining what this update would read like today. I was dead wrong. Color me shocked at the picks for best and worst. I thought it was a horrible episode. :(

• David says:

Agreed! I thought Slezak would love the diner skit (my fave of the night) and hate Top Dog Chef (which was sooo not funny)

• Lauren says:

I think he was on whatever the writers who wrote Top Dog Chef were on.

8. usanhasbestshows says:

Top dog was the best? Wow wow the only funny was hunger games and the love letters was better than top dog

9. Sarabi says:

I liked JLaw’s monologue, the weekend update and the Piers Morgan cold open (this was the only bit this week that featured Kate McKinnon, come on SNL!). I really liked the Hobbit spoof. I found The Top Dog Chef to be horrible, though.

10. BarbL says:

This was the first episode I’ve watched since Daniel Craig–he who is a fantastic Bond but should stay far, far away from live comedy. While I thought the Dog Chef skit was cute, and I enjoyed some of the other sketches, I thought that the waitress sketch was painful to watch.
    Lawrence was actually *too* good for that– it didn’t seem like comedy any more, and I believed her role. She came off as not funny mean, but mean mean. Which isn’t funny.
    It was nearly the same scenario for the girlfriend skit.

11. Erin says:

I don’t watch SNL very much anymore, but when I do it just doesn’t seem funny. Jennifer Lawrence is a great actress and could have done so much better with funnier skits.

Also, is it too much to ask to permanently retire the word “adorkable” from our vocabulary?

12. leigh says:

Danielle. Worst skit ever.

13. AJ says:

I felt bad for her. They just didn’t seem to give her good enough material. Hope next week is good!

14. Ugh – Slezak you can’t be serious about the Top Chef Dog skit. The only amusing part of it was Moynihan’s sassy delivery.

Actually thought 50s Diner and B108 were the funniest, though nothing really shown.

Also Lawrence looked so nervous in her monologue I couldn’t even begin to laugh

15. Julia says:

I didn’t think any of the sketches were very funny but Jennifer Lawrence killed it based on the bad material she was given. She knew how to work with that material and at least make her characters in the sketches funny.

16. Kim R says:

What has happened to SNL? Loved the Lumineers. Top Dog? I’m shocked it wasn’t on the worst of the night list. I really didn’t find one sketch funny other than Weekend Update. Not Jennifer Lawrence’s fault. She did great with what she had to work with. I just don’t understand what has happened to the writing. They need a remodel, I think.

17. Bubbie says:

Jennifer Lawrence looked like she wanted to be anywhere but that SNL stage last night. She was wooden and lifeless in most of the skits. No amount if decent writing could have fixed that.

18. Tammy says:

This was horrible. They wasted Jennifer’s talent on this crap? I was looking forward to this and they had been on break too….. this was the best they could come up with. Yawn.

19. Amanda says:

It all seemed like such a waste last night. The material just wasn’t there and unless you are a comic genius (Martin Short) there is really nothing the host can do to make it better.

20. cjeffery7 says:

it was definitely an odd choice to put Girlfriend Talk Show up front. it’s a bland set up, but you can’t deny Aidy Bryant is what’s keeping that sketch alive. she’s damn funny. you know what would have made Civil War Love Letters better? if Lawrence dropped the fancy talk, like her hubby, and then actually sent the tit pic. a pixelated old timey pic? stupid? yes. funny? yes.

21. eds says:

Jennifer was awesome! She has strong comedic skills and excellent timing. I wasn’t expecting that and was very pleasantly surprised.

22. Mike says:

I’m glad you liked it, I thought Jennifer Lawrence did the best she could with the awful material she was given. It’s time to hire new writers. It was such a waste of Lawrence’s talents. I hoping for so much better. I did enjoy Top Dog Chef even though it was probably due to it being so ridiculous.

23. Shorty says:

I found some of it hilarious and most of it really funny…. She “made” that diner sketch – the scene where she turns her head and gives them “the look” and raises that knife totally cracked me up. She’s great. Loved the monologue. Enjoyed “girls”; doggy one had it’s moments (love those costumes); Weekend update .. at least Seth looked like he was enjoying himself for a change and Bobby was hilarious. Not sure what everyone else watched, but maybe I’m just more easily amused than the rest of you (and if that’s true, then lucky me!) ;-)

24. I think it’s best to just not have high hopes for SNL, no matter who the host is. Even veteran comic Martin Short had some lame moments during his episode.

25. Guy says:

Surprised that they actually wrote a monologue this week, but something was insanely off about JLaw’s timing. It was weird. And also, Top Dog Chef was just the pits. Whoa, what a train wreck. Can’t believe it made it on your best. Gotta agree with the radio station one, it had me howlin’ at times.

26. MP says:

I really thought they were going to the the Californians sketch, the Prison inmates sketch and maybe KPop America fun time now. I think she did the best with the material she was given. The writers need to seriously stop with lame sketches, like the one of the civil war, you either play the civil war thing completely or don’t do it at all, the combination of past and presence sucked!

27. Whatever says:

Anthony Crispino on Weekend Update was funny.
    Top Dog Chef was amusing if you watch Top Chef

28. Joe says:

On one hand, I am surprised to see the positive review of this horrible, horrible, episode. On the other hand, I don’t know what I expected from this pathetic ‘Girls’ fansite.

29. Philipp says:

Top Dog Chef? You can’t be serious! This was horrible and along with the Radio Show sketch one of the worst ones! I already hated the B-108 one when they first had it. Also, as a non-Bobby Moynihan fan I must say he was far too overexposed in this episode.

I agree that Jennifer Lawrence made the best of what she was given but that really wasn’t that much at all. The diner sketch? WTF?

I thought the Starbucks sketch was ok and I think Vanessa Beyer is one of the show’s strongest links ATM.

30. Eric says:

The Top Dog Chef sketch was so, so bad. I enjoyed the radio station sketch thanks entirely to JLaw’s non-rhyming raps. The opening monologue was adorable and the Starbucks one wasn’t bad. Everything else was depressing.

31. Shaun says:

50’s diner and radio show were the best.

32. Moria says:

Agree with the masses – Top Dog Chef was TERRIBLE.. So so bad. Hacky. Amateur hour. Shows how bad the cast is in general that JLa can blow in & beat them all at being funny, especially with such bad material.

33. corbin5 says:

Crispino was the only gag that worked for me this weekend. Even the rest of Weekend Update was unusually weak. Definitely worse episode in a long, long time. I kind of chuckled at the Starbucks bit but…

34. MrsB says:

I laughed so hard at Top Dog I cried. How can you not think that was funny? I thought it was one of the best episodes this season and she did great!

35. Annabelle says:

I actually thought the show was pretty funny this week. I laughed at top dog. Tough crowd.

36. Jeff says:

Everyone blames the writing, but Jennifer’s delivery was lifeless and painfully amateurish. Stunk up the place.

37. James says:

I think her main problem was the teleprompter. She’s funny because she’s spontaneous, but here everything was learned and she seemed a little wooden. I still think she can pull off comedy very well.

38. onetwothree says:

How do you see these videos? All I see are black boxes.

39. Deter says:

The worst SNL episode of the season, Top Dog Chef being the worst sketch of the show. No blame to Jennifer for the poor writing. Seth Meyers Weekend update was solid; manti Teo skit was funny and Hunger Games press conf. was decent; too bad everything else lacked humor.

40. nzlace says:

I love Jen Lawerence but I just thought the whole thing was bad. Writing and Acting.

41. Chico Escuela says:

Did I miss something? That was one of the most unfunny episodes. Barely a laugh in the whole show. I can’t believe there were “best” sketches considered here. I think I actually heard crickets.

42. Lauren says:

Terrible episode. I love Jennifer Lawrence, and she did the best she could, but those skits were awful. Too bad she didn’t have better material.

43. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

She was really funny in the diner skit and the Hobbit thing was funny and there were a few bits here and there but overall that was some pretty weak writing and planning there. They wrote on of the weaker shows in a while. The top dog chef…. ugh.

44. Shuayb says:

I thought that this wasn’t VERY hillarious… Preferred Anne Hathway’s performance to this one. I thought that the Hobbit spoof was funny. Top Dog Chef was in poor taste but the names were funny. Nasim’s impersonation of Padma was quite good. I’m surprised that SNL hasn’t done a gossip girl series finale spoof. That would be hilarious.
    Jennifer seemed very nervous and worried. Her monologue came out of the left field, she maybe should have introduced that whole dissing piece a little better.

45. Mike says:

The Top Dog Chef was so bad, the doorbell was the only good thing about it.
    One sketch I did like, was the one where Jennifer played a waitress, I thought it was great.

46. Danielle H. says:

Its best to not have any hopes for SNL anymore then be pleasantly surprised when parts or *gasp* even whole skits go well. Bobby is emerging as the player of the season. His gestures and tics are helarious. I get excited about certain people as hosts, but alot of the material just isn’t funny anymore.
    Liked Top Dog though… and if I don’t get Stefan soon I will mutiny!!!