Exclusive

Happy Endings Exclusive: Who's Playing Penny's Dad? (Hint: He Once Controlled the Universe)

Andy Richter Happy Endings Season 3 Penny's FatherHappy Endings is about to ID the guy (at least partly) responsible for Penny’s considerable man issues: her dad!

The ABC comedy has tapped former universe controller Andy Richter to play Casey Wilson’s (relatively young) onscreen father, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: Will Happy Endings Be Back Next Season?

Conan O’Brien’s longtime sidekick will appear in a spring episode that I’m told will address the pair’s relatively tiny age difference (Richer is only 14 years older than Wilson).

According to an insider, Richter’s Roy and Megan Mullally’s Dana had Penny when they were really, really, really, really young.

Roy reappears in his daughter’s life as things are getting very serious between her and first-ever steady beau Pete (Nick Zano).

What do you think of the casting? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Thumbs sideways?

1. Dan says:

That’s amahzing casting!!!

2. Roeb says:

Thats awesome! I love Happy Endings and Andy Richter! Hope this means Megan is back too

3. Allyson says:

when does Happy Endings return? I noticed that on guide there is no new episode tonight or on Tuesday?

• Raaz says:

ABC decided to stop airing them on Sundays, now it’s just Tuesdays again. No show this week because of the 2-hour premiere of The Taste, but it will returns on January 29 with TWO new episodes!

4. I loved him as Sad Dad on The New Adventures of Old Christine – I hope his character here is just as epic!

5. TV Gord says:

This was a freaky headline to read tonight. I was going through old VHS tapes this afternoon and found about four or five episodes of Andy Richter Controls The Universe. I had a great time watching them (even though I have the DVDs)! I can’t believe how much time has passed since this was on!

• TV Gord says:

Unfortunately, I can’t stand Happy Endings.

• Ryan says:

Have you actually watched more than one episode? I would think you’d like it if you enjoy stuff like Andy Richter Controls The Universe or Arrested Development. It seems like a crappy “Friends” type show on the surface, but the more you watch it you realize the tone of the show is a lot more inline of smarter comedies like Community or 30 Rock.

6. Mikael says:

I want to see Megan Mullaly as Penny’s mom again!