Happy Endings Exclusive: Who's Playing Penny's Dad? (Hint: He Once Controlled the Universe)

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Andy Richter Happy Endings Season 3 Penny's FatherHappy Endings is about to ID the guy (at least partly) responsible for Penny’s considerable man issues: her dad!

The ABC comedy has tapped former universe controller Andy Richter to play Casey Wilson’s (relatively young) onscreen father, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: Will Happy Endings Be Back Next Season?

Conan O’Brien’s longtime sidekick will appear in a spring episode that I’m told will address the pair’s relatively tiny age difference (Richer is only 14 years older than Wilson).

According to an insider, Richter’s Roy and Megan Mullally’s Dana had Penny when they were really, really, really, really young.

Roy reappears in his daughter’s life as things are getting very serious between her and first-ever steady beau Pete (Nick Zano).

What do you think of the casting? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Thumbs sideways?

Comments (13)

• Shups for life!!

Comment by Asrul Ash Otomen Abdullah – January 20, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s amahzing casting!!!

Comment by Dan – January 20, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats awesome! I love Happy Endings and Andy Richter! Hope this means Megan is back too

Comment by Roeb – January 20, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does Happy Endings return? I noticed that on guide there is no new episode tonight or on Tuesday?

Comment by Allyson – January 20, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC decided to stop airing them on Sundays, now it’s just Tuesdays again. No show this week because of the 2-hour premiere of The Taste, but it will returns on January 29 with TWO new episodes!

Comment by Raaz – January 20, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks! I was wondering what happened! I am glad the hitas won’t be too long!

Comment by Allyson – January 20, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him as Sad Dad on The New Adventures of Old Christine – I hope his character here is just as epic!

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – January 20, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a freaky headline to read tonight. I was going through old VHS tapes this afternoon and found about four or five episodes of Andy Richter Controls The Universe. I had a great time watching them (even though I have the DVDs)! I can’t believe how much time has passed since this was on!

Comment by TV Gord – January 20, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, I can’t stand Happy Endings.

Comment by TV Gord – January 20, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you actually watched more than one episode? I would think you’d like it if you enjoy stuff like Andy Richter Controls The Universe or Arrested Development. It seems like a crappy “Friends” type show on the surface, but the more you watch it you realize the tone of the show is a lot more inline of smarter comedies like Community or 30 Rock.

Comment by Ryan – January 20, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I personally would class it as a Friends wannabe without much intelligence, but harmless and charming.

Comment by Ashley – January 20, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see Megan Mullaly as Penny’s mom again!

Comment by Mikael – January 22, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post