Ratings: American Idol Down 19 Percent from 2012 Premiere; Less Slippage Than Last Year

Ratings: American Idol Season 12 PremiereThis… is American Idol‘s first ratings report for Season 12, which opened to 17.9 million total viewers and a 6.0 rating, per fast overnights.

That marks a year-to-year demo decline of 19 percent, which is slightly better than the Season 11 premiere’s (21.9 mil/7.4) 24 percent drop-off and more on par with the Season 10 opener’s (26.3 mil/9.8) 17 percent differential.

Versus the Season 11 results finale (which drew 21.5 mil while scoring a 6.4 rating), Idol‘s premiere shed 17 and 6 percent.

Fox notes that Idol‘s return beat The Voice‘s most recent premiere (12.3 mil/4.2) by more than 40 percent.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s Idol Season 12 Premiere Recap: Prepare for Shock and Claw Tactics

Facing off against Idol‘s back end, CBS’ Criminal Minds hit a season high in total audience with 12.53 million viewers (up 4 percent from its last fresh outing), yet dipped three tenths in the demo to a 2.8. Leading out of that, CSI (11.1 mil/2.3) rose 15 percent in total viewers and a tenth in the demo.

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.2 mil/2.3), The Neighbors (6.2 mil/1.9) and Suburgatory (6.4 mil/2.4) each dipped a tenth or so in the demo, while Modern Family (11 mil/4.3) slipped 9 percent. Nashville (6.5 mil/2.2) added viewers and inched up a tenth to its best rating since the series premiere.

The CW’s Arrow (3.1 mil/1.1) ticked up a tenth from its winter finale, while Supernatural was rock-steady at 2.1 mil/0.9.

What were you tuned into this Wednesday?

1. soundscene says:

I’m sad to say I contributed to that (well, not really–I don’t have a box or anything that is counted). I wish it would decline more. It’s just not very good anymore. The luster is gone.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And by “the luster” you mean Steven Tyler? ;)

• CJ says:

I didn’t think it ever had any luster to lose. I kinda thought it would premiere fairly high (because of the chick fight) then plummet. So a low premiere might mean a disastrously bad season–or it might mean I was completely wrong (not that that would surprise me).

2. It’s going to drop even more. I found that it was boring. Especially Mariah. While she is a far better musician than Nicki, Nicki is a better judge. I won’t be watching anymore. The Voice is a lot better than this or X-Factor.

• MrTemecula says:

Every time Nicki’s face appeared in glorious high definition, Insane Clown Pose popped into this viewer’s head. So disturbing.

Where the ratings start does not matter as much where the ratings end. It doesn’t look good for Idol, but perhaps they will again, against all odds, get a compelling group of singers. Until the live rounds, adios.

3. MLO says:

This was one of the very few ‘reality’ shows I watched. Sorry to say, not this year. At least 50% of this show is focused on the judges, and I have zero interest in those two loud-mouthed witches.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Criminal Minds was amazing last night :-)

• MJ says:

Yes it was. I hope the character was not killed.

• wrstlgirl says:

That was very strange the way they did that but judging by everyone’s reactions, especially Reid I think it was a murder/suicide, unfortunately.

• KD says:

From the way Reid was crying, and all the blood, it seems like she’s dead. I really felt bad for Reid… he finally met a girl who he fell in love it. He waited so long he didn’t even watch her picture online, he wanted the real thing.

This show is always so dark. Nobody gets his/her happy ending.

• Daniel says:

yeah that was bs how they handled that last night. He is always left in the dark with character development. We never saw his dad again after him being accused of murder, we never see his mom anymore while she’s in the psych ward, and what happened with Reid and that bartender from a few seasons back? remember the one he rescued? Now he finally falls in love and finds his perfect mate yet she’s killed off? really? wow! thats just crap man! poor guy, whats up writers?

• Angela says:

I know, I felt for the poor guy, too. So heartbreaking-I actually gasped when I saw the ending with the two girls lying there.

5. Shaun says:

Was watching Arrow and Modern Family last night.Decided I’d skip through the rubbish by viewing online.

6. wrstlgirl says:

Chicago Fire was a repeat so that’s the only reason why I watched Nashville. Usually DVR and watch eventually.

7. Brandon says:

Haters gon’ hate. I think I love this judging panel, and I will keep watching. And it still baffles me how a 6.0 rating and 17.8 million viewers garners so much negative press. I mean, I get it, because it’s nowhere near its peak, but c’mon.

8. Eric says:

It’s not going to drop consistently. People love Idol. They love the talent. I like The Voice, but isn’t it really just a showcase for the coaches rather than the actual singers? In it’s first four seasons, Idol had discovered legit stars. People who are still around today. That’s why people keep tuning in to Idol. They also enjoy the judges bickering. That is part of the appeal of any of these shows. We as a public like to see celebrities behaving badly, especially to each other. The Voice winners have done nothing. I’m hoping that Cassadee is successful. She has loads of potential. If she is given the right song, she could be huge. If The Voice doesn’t start producing talent that will have an impact musically, people are going to tune out. It won’t matter who the judges are. I also love how these ratings are being talked about like they are Fringe level. Most shows would kill for these ratings. They would shout them from the rooftops, but anytime Idol’s premiere dips year to year, you get all this talk about how the show is over. It’s kind of ridiculous.

• Ella says:

The problem is that Idol stopped supporting its own alumni LONG ago and all we can see are Kelly and Carry. Others are forgotten quickly. I didn’t see or hear about Jessica Sanchez at all for example -not that I was looking, but I wasn’t looking for Kelly Clarkson either and she was everywhere.

As for enjoying judges bickering; I think it’s true, it adds to the entertainment, however if the bickering is 50% of the show, and 30% sob stories and only 20% or less (as some time is always allotted for crowds sightings, jumping around and other mandatory B.S.) is left for singing – well this ratio is just not interesting. And also maybe the Voice didn’t produce stars that are noticeable after the show but that’s a separate issue as most people watch any show for its immediate entertainment value IMO, NOT because it may produce (or not) some new star. You won’t watch a boring show because somewhere in 10th episode you might see somebody interesting and star potential.

• Aaron says:

You’re gonna be hearing a lot of Jessica very shortly. She has a collab with Neyo on her album. I think it’ll be her first single.

9. theo says:

Before watching last night I thought I was going to like Keith the best and maybe Mariah second. I didn’t like either at all and thought Nicki was the best judge! Way too much of Randy who I have never liked so I want be watching until it gets to top 10 and hopefully less about the judges.

10. april-ann says:

The only tv I watched last night was Nashville, for the first time. It won’t be the last.

11. Jared says:

Happy to see Arrow rise. I thought Idol was going to crush it. Obviously not.

12. Leon says:

Don’t worry middle America! You can still watch! The scary black judges wont stop another WGWG from winning. Papa Nigel will see to that.

13. Josh says:

I’m guessing many of those eyeballs were for the new judges, I expect another significant decrease tonight or next week.

14. ninamags says:

Yay!! Arrow and Supernatural were NOT affected by that crap on Fox.
    Great to see. Arrow just keeps getting better.

15. K says:

Nashville was priority1! And then DVr arrow

16. PutAForkInIt says:

The white guy with the guitar is going to win.
    There, I just saved you 4 months of viewing all this crap.

17. drhrsr@hotmail.com says:

Idol made a bigsplash, but now has started to receed.

18. drhrsr@hotmail.com says:

Nice show, but has started to decline.

19. drhrsr@hotmail.com says:

Great show.

20. Sheila Yaya says:

I am not watching American Idol anymore after tonights Hollywood auditions. I’ve watched AI since the beginning and have never seen them ignore the voices and remembering the words and put “certain” people through who sounded terrible and didn’t know any of words. I think it’s become very obvious that the panel, excluding Keith Urban, are prejudice. Sad, it shouldn’t matter as long as they can sing. Not anymore.