Ratings: American Idol Down 19 Percent from 2012 Premiere; Less Slippage Than Last Year

Ratings: American Idol Season 12 PremiereThis… is American Idol‘s first ratings report for Season 12, which opened to 17.9 million total viewers and a 6.0 rating, per fast overnights.

That marks a year-to-year demo decline of 19 percent, which is slightly better than the Season 11 premiere’s (21.9 mil/7.4) 24 percent drop-off and more on par with the Season 10 opener’s (26.3 mil/9.8) 17 percent differential.

Versus the Season 11 results finale (which drew 21.5 mil while scoring a 6.4 rating), Idol‘s premiere shed 17 and 6 percent.

Fox notes that Idol‘s return beat The Voice‘s most recent premiere (12.3 mil/4.2) by more than 40 percent.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s Idol Season 12 Premiere Recap: Prepare for Shock and Claw Tactics

Facing off against Idol‘s back end, CBS’ Criminal Minds hit a season high in total audience with 12.53 million viewers (up 4 percent from its last fresh outing), yet dipped three tenths in the demo to a 2.8. Leading out of that, CSI (11.1 mil/2.3) rose 15 percent in total viewers and a tenth in the demo.

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.2 mil/2.3), The Neighbors (6.2 mil/1.9) and Suburgatory (6.4 mil/2.4) each dipped a tenth or so in the demo, while Modern Family (11 mil/4.3) slipped 9 percent. Nashville (6.5 mil/2.2) added viewers and inched up a tenth to its best rating since the series premiere.

The CW’s Arrow (3.1 mil/1.1) ticked up a tenth from its winter finale, while Supernatural was rock-steady at 2.1 mil/0.9.

What were you tuned into this Wednesday?

Comments (35)

• I’m sad to say I contributed to that (well, not really–I don’t have a box or anything that is counted). I wish it would decline more. It’s just not very good anymore. The luster is gone.

Comment by soundscene – January 17, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by “the luster” you mean Steven Tyler? ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 17, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh good Heavens, no. lol.

Comment by soundscene – January 17, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t think it ever had any luster to lose. I kinda thought it would premiere fairly high (because of the chick fight) then plummet. So a low premiere might mean a disastrously bad season–or it might mean I was completely wrong (not that that would surprise me).

Comment by CJ – January 17, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to drop even more. I found that it was boring. Especially Mariah. While she is a far better musician than Nicki, Nicki is a better judge. I won’t be watching anymore. The Voice is a lot better than this or X-Factor.

Comment by Stuart Ross (@WStuartross) – January 17, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every time Nicki’s face appeared in glorious high definition, Insane Clown Pose popped into this viewer’s head. So disturbing.

Where the ratings start does not matter as much where the ratings end. It doesn’t look good for Idol, but perhaps they will again, against all odds, get a compelling group of singers. Until the live rounds, adios.

Comment by MrTemecula – January 17, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was one of the very few ‘reality’ shows I watched. Sorry to say, not this year. At least 50% of this show is focused on the judges, and I have zero interest in those two loud-mouthed witches.

Comment by MLO – January 17, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Witches? Typo? ;)

Comment by Larc – January 17, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds was amazing last night :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 17, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it was. I hope the character was not killed.

Comment by MJ – January 17, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was very strange the way they did that but judging by everyone’s reactions, especially Reid I think it was a murder/suicide, unfortunately.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 17, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From the way Reid was crying, and all the blood, it seems like she’s dead. I really felt bad for Reid… he finally met a girl who he fell in love it. He waited so long he didn’t even watch her picture online, he wanted the real thing.

This show is always so dark. Nobody gets his/her happy ending.

Comment by KD – January 17, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah that was bs how they handled that last night. He is always left in the dark with character development. We never saw his dad again after him being accused of murder, we never see his mom anymore while she’s in the psych ward, and what happened with Reid and that bartender from a few seasons back? remember the one he rescued? Now he finally falls in love and finds his perfect mate yet she’s killed off? really? wow! thats just crap man! poor guy, whats up writers?

Comment by Daniel – January 17, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know, I felt for the poor guy, too. So heartbreaking-I actually gasped when I saw the ending with the two girls lying there.

Comment by Angela – January 17, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was watching Arrow and Modern Family last night.Decided I’d skip through the rubbish by viewing online.

Comment by Shaun – January 17, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arrow was good last night. Do you think he’s over Laurel? or is he just playing? And how awesome is Diggle?

Comment by KD – January 17, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire was a repeat so that’s the only reason why I watched Nashville. Usually DVR and watch eventually.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 17, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters gon’ hate. I think I love this judging panel, and I will keep watching. And it still baffles me how a 6.0 rating and 17.8 million viewers garners so much negative press. I mean, I get it, because it’s nowhere near its peak, but c’mon.

Comment by Brandon – January 17, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not going to drop consistently. People love Idol. They love the talent. I like The Voice, but isn’t it really just a showcase for the coaches rather than the actual singers? In it’s first four seasons, Idol had discovered legit stars. People who are still around today. That’s why people keep tuning in to Idol. They also enjoy the judges bickering. That is part of the appeal of any of these shows. We as a public like to see celebrities behaving badly, especially to each other. The Voice winners have done nothing. I’m hoping that Cassadee is successful. She has loads of potential. If she is given the right song, she could be huge. If The Voice doesn’t start producing talent that will have an impact musically, people are going to tune out. It won’t matter who the judges are. I also love how these ratings are being talked about like they are Fringe level. Most shows would kill for these ratings. They would shout them from the rooftops, but anytime Idol’s premiere dips year to year, you get all this talk about how the show is over. It’s kind of ridiculous.

Comment by Eric – January 17, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is that Idol stopped supporting its own alumni LONG ago and all we can see are Kelly and Carry. Others are forgotten quickly. I didn’t see or hear about Jessica Sanchez at all for example -not that I was looking, but I wasn’t looking for Kelly Clarkson either and she was everywhere.

As for enjoying judges bickering; I think it’s true, it adds to the entertainment, however if the bickering is 50% of the show, and 30% sob stories and only 20% or less (as some time is always allotted for crowds sightings, jumping around and other mandatory B.S.) is left for singing – well this ratio is just not interesting. And also maybe the Voice didn’t produce stars that are noticeable after the show but that’s a separate issue as most people watch any show for its immediate entertainment value IMO, NOT because it may produce (or not) some new star. You won’t watch a boring show because somewhere in 10th episode you might see somebody interesting and star potential.

Comment by Ella – January 17, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re gonna be hearing a lot of Jessica very shortly. She has a collab with Neyo on her album. I think it’ll be her first single.

Comment by Aaron – January 17, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before watching last night I thought I was going to like Keith the best and maybe Mariah second. I didn’t like either at all and thought Nicki was the best judge! Way too much of Randy who I have never liked so I want be watching until it gets to top 10 and hopefully less about the judges.

Comment by theo – January 17, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only tv I watched last night was Nashville, for the first time. It won’t be the last.

Comment by april-ann – January 17, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see Arrow rise. I thought Idol was going to crush it. Obviously not.

Comment by Jared – January 17, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville!

Comment by V – January 17, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t worry middle America! You can still watch! The scary black judges wont stop another WGWG from winning. Papa Nigel will see to that.

Comment by Leon – January 17, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing many of those eyeballs were for the new judges, I expect another significant decrease tonight or next week.

Comment by Josh – January 17, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! Arrow and Supernatural were NOT affected by that crap on Fox.
    Great to see. Arrow just keeps getting better.

Comment by ninamags – January 17, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville was priority1! And then DVr arrow

Comment by K – January 17, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The white guy with the guitar is going to win.
    There, I just saved you 4 months of viewing all this crap.

Comment by PutAForkInIt – January 17, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your comment. Idol has become predictable. Jessica Sanchez was the only reason I watched.

Comment by pacy – January 21, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol made a bigsplash, but now has started to receed.

Comment by drhrsr@hotmail.com – January 17, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice show, but has started to decline.

Comment by drhrsr@hotmail.com – January 17, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show.

Comment by drhrsr@hotmail.com – January 17, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not watching American Idol anymore after tonights Hollywood auditions. I’ve watched AI since the beginning and have never seen them ignore the voices and remembering the words and put “certain” people through who sounded terrible and didn’t know any of words. I think it’s become very obvious that the panel, excluding Keith Urban, are prejudice. Sad, it shouldn’t matter as long as they can sing. Not anymore.

Comment by Sheila Yaya – February 6, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post