Arrow Hot Shots: Seth Gabel Is 'Large in Evil' as 'Vertigo's Drug-Dealing Count

Seth Gabel soon will make the trip from Fringe‘s Other Side to Starling City, where he will wreak havoc and draw the wrath of The CW’s Arrow – and here’s a flurry of photos from the big bad’s Jan. 30 arrival.

RELATED | Arrow Adds Teen Wolf Alum Colton Haynes

Arrow star Stephen Amell has described Gabel’s character — a drug-dealer dubbed “The Count” whose bread-and-butter is called “Vertigo”– as “a departure from any of the villains that we’ve had so far.”

He also said that Oliver’s altercations with The Count are uniquely “interesting” because “it’s personal” for the billionaire playboy, and due to the fact that “I’m slightly handicapped while I’m going after him. I’m under-the-weather… and I don’t have my normal arsenal of weapons, for reasons that I can’t explain.”

Clipped of his quiver, Amell says he instead was dealt “a couple of action and fight sequences that were just blunt-force trauma,” as Arrow muscles his way past The Count’s goons.

RELATED | Stephen Amell Previews Arrow‘s Meeting With the Real Deathstroke

And though The Count himself doesn’t pose any ginormous physical threat, Amell notes, “Villains don’t need to be large in stature. They just need to be large in evil — and the Count, he certainly is.”

Comments (15)

• Great casting! Having just rewatched all the seasons of Fringe in preparation for the Finale , I was reminded of how much I miss Seth Gabel on my TV.

Comment by Jane – January 17, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeremy Darling was on Fringe?? I guess I’ll have to go back and watch that!

Comment by Amanda – January 17, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re really behind the times, his first ep on Fringe was in 2010.

Comment by Olivia – January 19, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! So happy to see Seth back on my tv!

Comment by Mike – January 17, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you CW! Double the eye candy and all the warm fuzzy thought with him in fringe

Comment by Christa – January 17, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m skeptical about this, but I’ll wait and see if he can pull this off.

Comment by sam – January 17, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait….love this show.

Comment by Vannesa – January 17, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow has done a great job as far as casting. Can’t wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Comment by Jared – January 17, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Seth won’t be leaving our screens after Fringe ends! After watching him play adorable, thorough good guy Lincoln, it’ll be fun to see him as a villain.
    Arrow must like casting prior heroes as villains- first Capt. Jack Harkness (John Barrowman), and now Lincoln Lee :)

Comment by Annie – January 17, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im glad they are finally going to tackle thea’s drugs problem since they have just left that by the wayside since the early episodes.
    sidenote: how come we’ve seen nothing about ben browder’s upcoming appearance? his is the one i’ve been waiting for and i really would like to know more about how he and the rest of the blackhwks fit into this world

Comment by Alan – January 17, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Seth Gabel. Love Arrow. Looking forward to the two colliding

Comment by Great show – January 17, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth Gabel can do a great bad buy. Anyone remember him from Season 2 of Nip/Tuck? It’ll be hard to see him as anything but Lincoln from Fringe, but I know he can do villain well.

Comment by Mikael – January 18, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t watch Fringe, but I agree. He can definitely play crazy or evil.

Comment by Lindsey – January 18, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Seth Gabel, looking forward to this. Arrow has turned out to be one of the best new shows. I’m totally hooked.

Comment by scorpionglow – January 19, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You ought to take part in a contest for one of the most useful sites on the internet.
    I most certainly will recommend this website!

Comment by Walkins – April 8, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post