American Horror Story Scoop: Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson to Return for Season 3

American Horror Story Season 3 SpoilersEvan Peters and Sarah Paulson will check back into American Horror Story for Season 3.

Peters and Paulson, who both appeared in the original run and the current Asylum incarnation, join returning cast member Jessica Lange, who will also play a new character in the next season.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Get Scoop on American Horror Story and More

Executive producer Ryan Murphy announced the news at a press Q&A, adding that some other faces from the first year will return. Additionally, just as Season 2 had Bloody Face, Season 3 will have “a great icon — and it’s a woman,” he teased.

As for the setting of the next installment, Murphy said on Twitter that last night’s penultimate episode contained three clues. (TVLine’s best guess: The show is fixin’ to serve up some Southern-fried chills and thrills.)

Other Season 3 teases from Murphy:

- The storyline will consist of “something funnier” because he missed what Jessica Lange’s Constance brought to Season 1.

- Lange is returning partly because Murphy promised her “hair and makeup and the best designer gowns ever” after she had to be so dressed down this season. Her character is described as “a glamour cat leading lady.”

- Season 3 will be “more historical in nature” and have a “different tone” than Season 2. But, says Murphy, “That’s the joy of the show.” It will also take place in modern day, but just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”

- In addition to AHS vets Lange, Paulson and Peters, “We want to have some new people come in and some [Season 1] people come back.” As for the new people, Murphy says he is looking to cast “actors Jessica wanted to work with.”

-  Peters will “probably go back to playing a sobbing psychopath.”

- Regarding Paulson, “I know who [she's] playing,” Murphy stated, before adding with a laugh, “She does not.”

Asylum ends its run on Jan. 23; the new 13-episode season will begin production this summer and bow in Fall 2013. (Reporting by Meg Masters)

1. Kyle says:

:D <<<(Donna's "Treat Yo-Self" smiley face)

2. Jerm says:

Can’t wait! Those three were (in my opinion) the best of this season, so I’m glad to hear they’re all coming back!

3. aleksa says:

Yay, I loved them all! I hope they bring back Taissa Farmiga from season one, I thought she was really good.

• bryceradick says:

SAME. Miss her. My roommate says she can’t be any other type of character besides Violet, but I’d love to see her do something else.

4. kyle says:

what about sister mary eunice? lily rate ftw

5. Grace says:

I hope Taissa is back!

6. Mark says:

Never liked Sarah Paulson. Hated her in Studio 60 and DH.

7. dude says:

I hope they’re able to get Kate Mara back.

• Arie says:

Kate Mara might be busy. She has a show on Netflix. But I did very much enjoy her on season one so hopefully she can just pop in for an episode.

8. Rob says:

Maybe he will bring SMG on board?
    Ryan Murphy already offered Sarah a “sexy and glamorous” part in AHS

9. omar says:

I love Sarah Paulson ! She was so GOOD!
    I hope to see Lily Rabe again!

10. Corie says:

Bring back Kate Mara!

11. Cannot freaking wait for the finale….And then the new season!!!

12. Haley says:

I’ll never be able to look at Sarah Paulson and not see Lana, who I hate. I just want Lily Rabe and Zachary Quinto to come back…

13. Rachel says:

YES. All is right now that Evan and Sarah are back.

14. Spencer says:

My baby Lily needs to some back!!!! She was phenomenal in both seasons!!!! I would also love it if Connie would stop by, I missed her in Asylum, but I’m sure she’s too busy with Nashville. Taissa and Alexandra would be great to have back though.

15. Javier Jimenez says:

I really want Naomi Grossman, who played Pepper, to come back, she was fantastic

16. Amy says:

I’d love to see Quinto back!! SMG would be an excellent addition as well.

17. Solomon says:

please bring TAISSA back!!!!

18. Betsy Jo says:

Sarah is a very gifted actress. So glad she will be coming back . You go girl !

19. Betsy Jo says:

This season has really been a wild ride. Love it. Can’t wait for next season. Southren flavor this time? Can’t wait being a southerner myself. I know how scary that can be. Please sir , keep them coming!

20. Jessica Lange is simply AMAZING!!

21. Go make your own series, stop raping U.K ones. says:

“Actors Jessica wants to work with” I think as arrogant as Murphy is he realized he lucked out big time getting Lange and she does what she pleases. Which is fine by me. I’d watch her read the phone book.

22. Ashley says:

Great.As long as my baby Jessica and Sarah will back, I’m happy. They were robbed at the Globes. I would love for them to play a couple. They have so much chemistry.

23. Joe says:

Nobody will ever be as good as Chloe

24. Jared says:

Best News Ever!..those three are the ONLY reason why I’m still a HUGE fan of the show even though I’ll admit I wasn’t a big fan of the current season. Lange,Paulson and especially Peters are flawless. Can’t wait to see where season 3 takes us and PLEASE no aliens this time!..lol

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I totally agree: this season would have been so much better without the aliens… it already had so many other things: Nazis, demon/devil possessions, creepy nuns, torture/experiements, being trapped in an asylum, creepy serial killer posing as upstanding member of society… the aliens just were out of place, in my opinion X)

Still love the show though!

25. Reblogged this on save it for the commercial break and commented:
    Casting news ladies and gents! Guess who’s coming back for season 3 of #AHS

26. shump says:

I don’t know how they’ll top Asylum, but if Jessica Lange is back then I am back as a viewer. I really hope it’s something to do with witches.

27. Polly says:

Not a surprise. Sarah Paulson should be in every show on tv. She’s so good!

28. Reward says:

Taissa? Really?
    Before her, Quinto, Rabe and Conrey must come back.
    And I want season 3 with the same atmosphere of season 2.

29. anil says:

I read Peters and Paulson and you definitely got me in for Season 3 already.

30. anil says:

Season 3 is definitely gonna be witches and stuff. Jessica could play a fancy witch lol.

31. Reblogged this on HORROR BOOM and commented:
    Good news, and these are WAY better hints than the previous ones. Also, I hope Quinto will be back, and Frances Conroy… I still think it’s going to be some group of performers. (the setting/theme for next season, that is, and have a Western theme). If I were Jessica Lange, I’d want to look more glamorous for Season 3 too. Also, maybe a teensy bit lighter of a tone, because this week’s episode was more depressing than terrifying (though it sure as hell kept me on my toes)!

32. I think it’s going to be some theater troupe, or maybe one of those old Wild West shows that used to travel around. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see a carnival… cast-wise, still would love to see Conroy again, she was great (and scary) last night as “Vera.” I hope Quinto returns as well, even if just for a guest role.

33. Britta Unfiltered says:

I think it sounds like Ryan Murphy has been studying up on Southern Gothic too. That should be fun. It really is a creepy genre.

34. Ben says:

Something set around the Civil War, please!

35. ABC says:

Yes Evan Peters!!!

36. J says:

I just want Lily Rabe playing evil again pls

37. Ashley says:

Happy to hear Evan Peters is back – huge relief! Would love to see Lily Rabe (favorite from S2) and Kate Mara (favorite from s1) – guess I like crazy, snarky female characters? And I will always welcome Connie Britton.

38. Ncooke says:

They must do a Wizard Of OZ

39. Amy says:

I want everyone from this current season back for next season, the cast this season was incredible!

40. S. from E. now says:

“As for the new people, Murphy says he is looking to cast “actors Jessica wanted to work with.””
    Oh she definitely has you on a tight leash, Ryan : P

41. Matt says:

Hope next season is better than season two. It’s been a gigantic disappointment. It’s as if he had no idea where he wanted to go with the story so he just threw a bunch of weird ideas against the wall.

42. Mikael says:

I hope Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy return too. And I’d love to see Taissa again, Kate Mara, Mena Suvari, and SMG would be amazing to see.

43. Caitlin says:

maybe Dennis O’Hare will come back!

44. Whatever says:

That’s great news.
    I want Denis O’Hare back , I really missed him in Season 2.

I hope Zachary Quinto, Frances Conroy, Dylan McDermott and Lily Rabe all come back along with Taissa Farmiga from Season 1.

45. bryceradick says:

My dream is to have Dane Dehaan be season three’s “Romeo.” Having it be Peters would be too Tate-like, and Dehaan could do emotional so well, as we’ve seen in Chronicle and In Treatment. (Spider-Man filiming would probably get in the way but a boy can dream haha.)
    Disappointing that so many people want so many people back and aren’t dreaming of fresh faces. The beauty of the show is newness.

46. Ben says:

Ian McShane must, must come back. I never realised how much I missed Lovejoy until he randomly turned up as crazy santa.

47. Grace says:

Bring back Alex Breckenridge !!!!

48. ññññ says:

BRING BACK LILY RABE
    and you’ll have a dream cast
    at least for us

49. Valykriefaerie says:

It sounds like true blood to me,with the southern theme to it. I hope it didn’t have vampire & werewolves next season,because we already have plenty of shows are like that (like Being Humans,True Blood & The Vampire Dairies). I would luv to see they explore more the faery folklore next season. Their folklore’s more freakin’ mess up!!!

50. Sonya says:

I personally cannot wait. I don’t usually do “appointment tv” but this show is worth it. I like Jessica Lange and her roles are so different each season. I think this showcases her talent and show us what she is capable of.