American Horror Story Scoop: Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson to Return for Season 3

Get More: Casting News

American Horror Story Season 3 SpoilersEvan Peters and Sarah Paulson will check back into American Horror Story for Season 3.

Peters and Paulson, who both appeared in the original run and the current Asylum incarnation, join returning cast member Jessica Lange, who will also play a new character in the next season.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Get Scoop on American Horror Story and More

Executive producer Ryan Murphy announced the news at a press Q&A, adding that some other faces from the first year will return. Additionally, just as Season 2 had Bloody Face, Season 3 will have “a great icon — and it’s a woman,” he teased.

As for the setting of the next installment, Murphy said on Twitter that last night’s penultimate episode contained three clues. (TVLine’s best guess: The show is fixin’ to serve up some Southern-fried chills and thrills.)

Other Season 3 teases from Murphy:

- The storyline will consist of “something funnier” because he missed what Jessica Lange’s Constance brought to Season 1.

- Lange is returning partly because Murphy promised her “hair and makeup and the best designer gowns ever” after she had to be so dressed down this season. Her character is described as “a glamour cat leading lady.”

- Season 3 will be “more historical in nature” and have a “different tone” than Season 2. But, says Murphy, “That’s the joy of the show.” It will also take place in modern day, but just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”

- In addition to AHS vets Lange, Paulson and Peters, “We want to have some new people come in and some [Season 1] people come back.” As for the new people, Murphy says he is looking to cast “actors Jessica wanted to work with.”

-  Peters will “probably go back to playing a sobbing psychopath.”

- Regarding Paulson, “I know who [she's] playing,” Murphy stated, before adding with a laugh, “She does not.”

Asylum ends its run on Jan. 23; the new 13-episode season will begin production this summer and bow in Fall 2013. (Reporting by Meg Masters)

Comments (83)

• :D <<<(Donna's "Treat Yo-Self" smiley face)

Comment by Kyle – January 17, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Those three were (in my opinion) the best of this season, so I’m glad to hear they’re all coming back!

Comment by Jerm – January 17, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lily rabe tho

Comment by kyle – January 17, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lily Rabe was the best. Hope she’s back.

Comment by dude – January 17, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely forgot about her! She was great! Out of sight out of mind I guess… I’m sure they’ll bring her back!

Comment by Jerm – January 17, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I loved them all! I hope they bring back Taissa Farmiga from season one, I thought she was really good.

Comment by aleksa – January 17, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SAME. Miss her. My roommate says she can’t be any other type of character besides Violet, but I’d love to see her do something else.

Comment by bryceradick – January 18, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about sister mary eunice? lily rate ftw

Comment by kyle – January 17, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Taissa is back!

Comment by Grace – January 17, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked Sarah Paulson. Hated her in Studio 60 and DH.

Comment by Mark – January 17, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See her in the brilliant but short-lived American Gothic series. You might change your mind.

Comment by vincent dante – January 18, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved American Gothic. Definitely a precursor to AHS. And the first time I saw Sarah Paulson, who left a solid impression.

Comment by Jen – January 18, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s someone at the door…

Comment by Jonny Truble – January 23, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they’re able to get Kate Mara back.

Comment by dude – January 17, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kate Mara might be busy. She has a show on Netflix. But I did very much enjoy her on season one so hopefully she can just pop in for an episode.

Comment by Arie – January 18, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe he will bring SMG on board?
    Ryan Murphy already offered Sarah a “sexy and glamorous” part in AHS

Comment by Rob – January 17, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, I hope not. She was great as Buffy but I just don’t see her fitting in with the AHS crew.

Comment by Rain – January 18, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was very good on Ringer, too. Shame that was canceled!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 18, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sarah Paulson ! She was so GOOD!
    I hope to see Lily Rabe again!

Comment by omar – January 17, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Kate Mara!

Comment by Corie – January 17, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot freaking wait for the finale….And then the new season!!!

Comment by David Lindsey – January 17, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll never be able to look at Sarah Paulson and not see Lana, who I hate. I just want Lily Rabe and Zachary Quinto to come back…

Comment by Haley – January 17, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quinto was just annoying this season. Any actor could’ve played Thredson in my opinion.

Comment by bryceradick – January 18, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you insane? Quinto was brilliant as Thredson. Honestly, the only way I’ll watch the third season is if he returns.

Comment by kate – January 18, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. All is right now that Evan and Sarah are back.

Comment by Rachel – January 17, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My baby Lily needs to some back!!!! She was phenomenal in both seasons!!!! I would also love it if Connie would stop by, I missed her in Asylum, but I’m sure she’s too busy with Nashville. Taissa and Alexandra would be great to have back though.

Comment by Spencer – January 17, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Naomi Grossman, who played Pepper, to come back, she was fantastic

Comment by Javier Jimenez – January 17, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Quinto back!! SMG would be an excellent addition as well.

Comment by Amy – January 17, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please bring TAISSA back!!!!

Comment by Solomon – January 17, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah is a very gifted actress. So glad she will be coming back . You go girl !

Comment by Betsy Jo – January 17, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is a fantastic and beautiful actress.

Comment by minn – January 17, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season has really been a wild ride. Love it. Can’t wait for next season. Southren flavor this time? Can’t wait being a southerner myself. I know how scary that can be. Please sir , keep them coming!

Comment by Betsy Jo – January 17, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it bad that I read this whole comment in a southern accent.

Comment by Marissa – January 23, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or more like a hillbilly accent. Haha Betsy…

Comment by Marissa – January 23, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Lange is simply AMAZING!!

Comment by Bobby Milford – January 17, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Actors Jessica wants to work with” I think as arrogant as Murphy is he realized he lucked out big time getting Lange and she does what she pleases. Which is fine by me. I’d watch her read the phone book.

Comment by Go make your own series, stop raping U.K ones. – January 17, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really would watch her do anything. She just always gives her heart. Amazing performer.

Comment by jake – January 17, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great.As long as my baby Jessica and Sarah will back, I’m happy. They were robbed at the Globes. I would love for them to play a couple. They have so much chemistry.

Comment by Ashley – January 17, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody will ever be as good as Chloe

Comment by Joe – January 17, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best News Ever!..those three are the ONLY reason why I’m still a HUGE fan of the show even though I’ll admit I wasn’t a big fan of the current season. Lange,Paulson and especially Peters are flawless. Can’t wait to see where season 3 takes us and PLEASE no aliens this time!..lol

Comment by Jared – January 17, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree: this season would have been so much better without the aliens… it already had so many other things: Nazis, demon/devil possessions, creepy nuns, torture/experiements, being trapped in an asylum, creepy serial killer posing as upstanding member of society… the aliens just were out of place, in my opinion X)

Still love the show though!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 18, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on save it for the commercial break and commented:
    Casting news ladies and gents! Guess who’s coming back for season 3 of #AHS

Comment by Funmi Sunmonu – January 17, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how they’ll top Asylum, but if Jessica Lange is back then I am back as a viewer. I really hope it’s something to do with witches.

Comment by shump – January 17, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a surprise. Sarah Paulson should be in every show on tv. She’s so good!

Comment by Polly – January 17, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taissa? Really?
    Before her, Quinto, Rabe and Conrey must come back.
    And I want season 3 with the same atmosphere of season 2.

Comment by Reward – January 17, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read Peters and Paulson and you definitely got me in for Season 3 already.

Comment by anil – January 18, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 is definitely gonna be witches and stuff. Jessica could play a fancy witch lol.

Comment by anil – January 18, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on HORROR BOOM and commented:
    Good news, and these are WAY better hints than the previous ones. Also, I hope Quinto will be back, and Frances Conroy… I still think it’s going to be some group of performers. (the setting/theme for next season, that is, and have a Western theme). If I were Jessica Lange, I’d want to look more glamorous for Season 3 too. Also, maybe a teensy bit lighter of a tone, because this week’s episode was more depressing than terrifying (though it sure as hell kept me on my toes)!

Comment by Mrs. Horror Boom (HorrorBoom.com) – January 18, 2013 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s going to be some theater troupe, or maybe one of those old Wild West shows that used to travel around. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see a carnival… cast-wise, still would love to see Conroy again, she was great (and scary) last night as “Vera.” I hope Quinto returns as well, even if just for a guest role.

Comment by Mrs. Horror Boom (HorrorBoom.com) – January 18, 2013 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it sounds like Ryan Murphy has been studying up on Southern Gothic too. That should be fun. It really is a creepy genre.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 18, 2013 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something set around the Civil War, please!

Comment by Ben – January 18, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Evan Peters!!!

Comment by ABC – January 18, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Lily Rabe playing evil again pls

Comment by J – January 18, 2013 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to hear Evan Peters is back – huge relief! Would love to see Lily Rabe (favorite from S2) and Kate Mara (favorite from s1) – guess I like crazy, snarky female characters? And I will always welcome Connie Britton.

Comment by Ashley – January 18, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They must do a Wizard Of OZ

Comment by Ncooke – January 18, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want everyone from this current season back for next season, the cast this season was incredible!

Comment by Amy – January 18, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “As for the new people, Murphy says he is looking to cast “actors Jessica wanted to work with.””
    Oh she definitely has you on a tight leash, Ryan : P

Comment by S. from E. now – January 18, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope next season is better than season two. It’s been a gigantic disappointment. It’s as if he had no idea where he wanted to go with the story so he just threw a bunch of weird ideas against the wall.

Comment by Matt – January 18, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy return too. And I’d love to see Taissa again, Kate Mara, Mena Suvari, and SMG would be amazing to see.

Comment by Mikael – January 18, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe Dennis O’Hare will come back!

Comment by Caitlin – January 18, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great news.
    I want Denis O’Hare back , I really missed him in Season 2.

I hope Zachary Quinto, Frances Conroy, Dylan McDermott and Lily Rabe all come back along with Taissa Farmiga from Season 1.

Comment by Whatever – January 18, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream is to have Dane Dehaan be season three’s “Romeo.” Having it be Peters would be too Tate-like, and Dehaan could do emotional so well, as we’ve seen in Chronicle and In Treatment. (Spider-Man filiming would probably get in the way but a boy can dream haha.)
    Disappointing that so many people want so many people back and aren’t dreaming of fresh faces. The beauty of the show is newness.

Comment by bryceradick – January 18, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ian McShane must, must come back. I never realised how much I missed Lovejoy until he randomly turned up as crazy santa.

Comment by Ben – January 19, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Alex Breckenridge !!!!

Comment by Grace – January 20, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK LILY RABE
    and you’ll have a dream cast
    at least for us

Comment by ññññ – January 21, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like true blood to me,with the southern theme to it. I hope it didn’t have vampire & werewolves next season,because we already have plenty of shows are like that (like Being Humans,True Blood & The Vampire Dairies). I would luv to see they explore more the faery folklore next season. Their folklore’s more freakin’ mess up!!!

Comment by Valykriefaerie – January 23, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally cannot wait. I don’t usually do “appointment tv” but this show is worth it. I like Jessica Lange and her roles are so different each season. I think this showcases her talent and show us what she is capable of.

Comment by Sonya – January 26, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post