What to Watch Wednesday: Idol Returns, Arrow Is All Aquiver, a Criminal Kidnapping and More

idol desk blogOn TV this Wednesday: American Idol tunes up for another season, Arrow gets bent out of shape, a Gossip Girl visits Criminal Minds and there’s no Middle of the road when it comes to parental guilt. As a supplement to TVLine’s features (linked within), here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm American Idol (Fox) | Two-hour Season 12 premiere: It all begins again – this time, with Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban joining Randy Jackson on the judges’ panel. (The two-night premiere continues Thursday at 8 pm.)

8 pm Arrow (The CW) | Suffering a crisis of confidence, Oliver hangs up his hood after that beat-down from the Dark Archer. But when Laurel needs the hero’s help, how can he say no?

8 pm The Middle (ABC) | Frankie and Mike’s guilt over not spending enough quality time with their kids leads them to dedicate each day of a long weekend to one of their offspring. It soon turns into a hot mess.

PREVIEW | Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres Calendar

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | When Reid’s girlfriend (played by Leverage‘s Beth Riesgraf) is kidnapped by her stalker, he and the BAU race to find her before it’s too late. Michelle Trachtenberg (Gossip Girl) guest-stars as a genetics research assistant.

9 pm Supernatural (The CW) | Naomi tells Castiel that Crowley’s holding an angel captive and they have to rescue him before the King of Hell finds out their secrets. Elsewhere, Sam and Amelia have an angst-filled meet-up.

9 pm Ghost Hunters (Syfy) | Season 9 premiere: Jason and the team are back with a pair of cases in California – an allegedly haunted Frank Lloyd Wright home said to be where “The Black Dahlia” was murdered in 1947, and Madame Tussaud’s Hollywood Wax Museum, where staffers have experienced some creepy stuff.

9 pm Modern Family (ABC) | When Jay and Gloria plan a surprise 14th birthday party for Manny, “there are plenty of surprises to go around,” says ABC. She’s totally having that baby tonight, right?

PREVIEW | CSI First Look Video: Spencer Grammar’s Newshound Gets in Stokes’ Face

10 pm Nashville (ABC) | While prepping for the tour, Rayna finds working without Deacon too disruptive and makes an interesting proposal to Liam; Juliette sends her scorned hubby a message through the press.

10 pm American Horror Story: Asylum (FX) | In the season’s penultimate episode, a deadly new inmate threatens Sister Jude’s chance of release from Briarcliff, and Grace’s alien obsession turns violent.

10 pm Top Chef (Bravo) | The men battle the women as the chefs go into Restaurant Wars in hopes of impressing restaurateur Danny Meyer.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

Comments (54)

• NASHVILLE!!!!

Comment by HEATHER – January 16, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the middle, supernatural, criminal minds

Comment by ollie – January 16, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow

Comment by Renee – January 16, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow, Criminal Minds, Nashville

Comment by MP – January 16, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds and Modern Family for me tonight.

Comment by Justin – January 16, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds and CSI

Comment by SK – January 16, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal minds only

Comment by Bri Brit – January 16, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do you always fail to mention The Neighbors? It’s a very funny show!

Comment by LynnH – January 16, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow
    AHS

Comment by Jared – January 16, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Criminal Minds last night and I’m confused at to the ending. When everyone watches it tonight, could someone explain to me about Reid’s girlfriend?

Comment by robinepowell – January 16, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MAJOR SPOILER ALERT for tonight’s CRIMINAL MINDS!!!!

The bullet went through both heads…

Comment by Lambsilencer – January 16, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure. I feel bad for Reid though.

Comment by robinepowell – January 16, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow + CSI’s Winter Premier!

Comment by Chicago Dan – January 16, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow
    Top Chef

Comment by BTM – January 16, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if the new inmate on American Horror Story is Eric Stonestreet? I heard he is appearing this season and has yet to.

Comment by Chris – January 16, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, his encore got scrapped due to scheduling conflicts.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – January 16, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds, CSI, The Middle, Modern Family and Arrow

Comment by King – January 16, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomb Girls, Arctic Air, Middle/neighbors/modern/Suburgatory, Ice Pilots, CSI

I don’t have the time for Idol this year.
    I stopped Arrow and Nashville after 3 episodes.

Comment by Roger Canada – January 16, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonite is the mid-season return of Arrow & Supernatural!! Well, I live in NC, where they are showing a basketball game, Ga.@ Missouri. So, I will not be watching 1) Supernatural (I have been a fan since 2005!) & Arrow has become an excellent show, also! I understand, that these 2 very important shows, will not be shown at a later time for those of us that will miss seeing them! Is this true?

Comment by Angela Stinson – January 16, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Check your local listings. Our local affiliate sometimes pre-empts for college football/basketball, BUT the regularly scheduled programming still airs on the CW channel, which is a different cable channel. Good luck! And don’t forget you can always watch online/on demand tomorrow.

Comment by Mo – January 16, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here…I posted on our local CW station’s FB and they responded that the NEW episodes for Arrow and Supernatural will be aired this Saturday (I’m in the Greensboro/Winston Salem area). You might want to check your listings for these being aired at a later time. BTW, they also stated that these shows will not return to its regular time slot until FEBRUARY. Grrrrr…..I HATE basketball!!!!

Comment by Curly Girly – January 16, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didnt know that….. I hate basketball, also!!!….. I love football but NOT if its gonna be in place of Supernatural or Arrow!!

Comment by Angela Stinson – January 16, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • too many…abc lineup, arrow, ahs, idol = 2 dvr’s running almost all night!

Comment by mm – January 16, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is Rayna doing now? She finds working with Deacon too disruptive?? She loves Deacon and he loves her. It shouldn’t be so hard to get together. She’s on the outs with her hubby, so what’s the deal?

Comment by margaretames – January 16, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need to read a little more carefully, it says that Rayna finds working withOUT Deacon too disruptive. I had to read that twice also.

Comment by Curly Girly – January 16, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by margaretames – January 16, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She finds working withOUT Deacon disruptive. Why would it be hard to get together? Because she probably doesn’t want to chuck her marriage, which has produced children, just like that for an unreliable guy. That’s the deal.

Comment by Alex – January 16, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve already apologized to someone else. I’m so sorry. I read really fast and miss things…I’m sorry.

Comment by margaretames – January 16, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Workaholics!!!!

Comment by joao gordinho – January 16, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow
    Modern Family
    American Horror Story

Comment by Brendan – January 16, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow & Supernatural

Comment by Linda – January 16, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol and Modern Family.

Comment by Alienate – January 16, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow, Supernatural. and Modern Family!

Comment by Andy – January 16, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow& Supernatural! Get em while you can. I hate Wednesdays, no dvr and Superntural ans Criminal Minds are not one demand. Why?

Comment by D.A. Warren – January 16, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is today Wednesday?
    Yes, it is. And that means only one thing: one new day inside ASYLUM!
    American Horror Story is the better thing of this day :D

Comment by Reward – January 16, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will watch Arrow and Criminal Minds

Comment by Ruby – January 16, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Criminal Minds last night and the ending with Reid’s girlfriend left me confused. Tonight or tomorrow, can someone clarify it for me?

Comment by robinepowell – January 16, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I answered in your post above. But, for everyone who hasn’t watched it yet, it’s a MAJOR spoiler.

Comment by Lambsilencer – January 16, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I didn’t see my original post, so I thought it was deleted. I saw it again just now and thanks for the 411. Poor Reid.

Comment by robinepowell – January 16, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IDK, I think I’m pretty much done with Idol. I know Nigel thinks playing up the rift between Mariah and NIcki will make be want to watch, but it actually pushes me away. Especially after watching the fun banter between Adam, Blake and Cee-Lo on the Voice..And unless they change the voting process, it’ll be the same ol same ol, BORED!!

Comment by Tina – January 16, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Suburgatory?

Comment by Melina Gaspar (@melinae07) – January 16, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On tonight’s “Suburgatory”:

When Tessa has her wisdom teeth removed, George struggles to manage both her recovery and the hysterics of their neighbor, Fred Shay, who has taken up residence in their basement after a career set-back. Sheila suspects George of harboring rats, and Dallas feels insecure about her relationship with George.

Comment by Lambsilencer – January 16, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI, there’s a free preview of the “Disney Family Movies” channel all this weekend (Tuesday 1/15 – Monday 1/21) for Verizon Fios, Comcast, and Mediacom customers, so be sure to check that out, too!

Comment by Drew – January 16, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Top Chef
    Modern Family
    The Middle!

Comment by jackie2830 – January 16, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy that Idol is finally back!

Comment by Mari – January 16, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first hour of American Idol and then Supernatural. Of course, I live in SC, right outside NC, so I’m going to be angry if SPN gets overrun by stupid basketball in my area too.

Comment by Katie – January 16, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory.

Comment by Leondre – January 16, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville!!!

Comment by Luli101 – January 16, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Currently it sounds like BlogEngine is the top blogging platform out there right now.

(from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

Comment by 5:37 am – May 11, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again
    since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case
    you shield this hike.

Comment by www.swiftys-fishing-tackle.co.uk – May 13, 2013 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate
    your efforts and I will be waiting for your next write
    ups thanks once again.

Comment by carp fishing chairs – June 10, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
    website? My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and
    my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you.

Thanks a lot!