Syfy's Alphas Cancelled After Two Seasons

Alphas Cancelled by SyfyIt looks like the Alphas won’t be waking from their Grand Central Station slumber.

Syfy has opted not to renew the series, which aired its Season 2 finale in October.

RELATED | Syfy Renews Haven for Season 4

“Unfortunately #Alphas is cancelled,” cast member Ryan Cartwright shared via Twitter on Wednesday.

Warren Christie and Azita Ghanizada confirmed the sad news, with the latter adding: “What an honor to get to play Rachel for 2 years & to work w/ & for the MOST AMAZING PEOPLE EVER.”

“Thanks for tuning in the last couple of years!” Christie told fans.

RELATED | Smallville‘s Laura Vandervoort Raises Hell in Haven Season Finale

A statement issued by the cabler reads: “Syfy has decided not to renew Alphas for a third season. We’ve been proud to present this entertaining, high-quality series for two seasons and to work with an incredible ensemble of talented actors, producers and creatives as well as our partners at BermanBraun Television. We’d like to thank the show’s dedicated regular viewers for their tremendous support.”

RELATED | Syfy Sets Premiere Date for New Defiance Drama

Revolving around a team of ordinary people with superhuman physical and mental abilities, Alphas also starred David Strathairn (as their team leader Dr. Rosen), Laura Mennell, Malik Yoba and Erin Way.

1. Bea says:

Ugh, I was afraid of this. Loved the show, one of the few shows my mom and I watched together. This sucks!

• Cristina says:

The only Food show Left is Face Off although last result was very unfair. I love love love ALPHAS!!!! Why they canceled it was the best show ever. Syfy. YOU SUCKS

• chris5605 says:

i agree syfy never gives us ending they care nothing about the fans we just get canceled show with no endings and they do it so much

• Adrain says:

me and my partner feel in love while watches this show pls bring it back. we would watch it together all the time. I love it!!!!!

• kay steed says:

My husband and I enjoyed this show and usually watched it together. When SciFi became SyFy, it left something behind. These CGI movies they play are not very convincing and I often erase them before I look past 30 min. I tell people I like scifi because the real world is scary. But wrestling??? SyFy messed up when the made Alphas a personal war between Stanton and Rosen just like they messed up with changing the time line in Eureka. Alphas will be missed and I won’t become too attached on anything else on that channel.

• greicy says:

the better shows are always cancelled for lesser views. and the silly ones that remain are cancelled soon after.

• Justin Texeira says:

If they’re not going to make a third season at least they should make a movie to solve the cliffhanger.

• kay steed says:

What to do? You know, there is soooo very little to watch on tv and SyFy WAS my favorite channel. I’ll have to settle for netflix and amazon prime now.

• Rosstine says:

They put me through all of these mood swings and stuff to just end the show like that? I need to have a word with the producer. This was the best show I’ve seen in awhile. I don’t believe it.

2. mia says:

WTF!! SyFy, frak you. Thankfully Canadian networks are standing behind their shows and farming them out to that network. If we didn’t, SyFy would have nothing to air that was actual genre fair.
    They should just go ahead and cancel Defiance while they’re at it. Why pretend they are going to stand by it.

• shawn dordon says:

I am sick to death that TV’s producers or whoever is responsible for doing this. I start to get interested in a show and they cancel it. But yet the SYFY channel shows things like pro-wrestling that have nothing to do with the sci-fi. I remembered when the SYFY channel first came out I was so excited that finely a channel about the things that I so loved but for the last few years the SYFY channel has be showing nothing to do with sci-fi or crappy horror movies/shows. Keep it up and I will stop watching your channel all together like I have done with A&E.

3. Anonymous says:

How annoying…Can’t they at least do a two hour finale? Seriously…

• Dawn Arthur says:

I AM WITH YOU. WHY BOTHER TO WATCH ANY NEW SHOW IF THET ARE TO BE CANCELLED ANY WAY.
      comment by who cares anyway

4. Sasha says:

Guess I don’t have to watch that channel anymore. First Eureka and not Alphas. Those were the only shows I watched on there. Syfy has really gone downhill. Sad!

5. ben says:

This is really gutting news, this show was tremendous – so good I almost wonder if it would have survived better on a real network instead of Syfy. I was hopeful that the wait had been so long that it was going to be in for a Chuck-like revival, so it’s a shame that it wasn’t to be.

6. Deena says:

Too bad. It was a fun summer show and definitely got more interesting as it went along. Thought David Strathairn & Ryan Cartwright were great. Looking forward to their next projects.

• Dennis says:

First it was Heroes…now it’s Alphas. you get into these shows and then the powers that be take then off the air, if I had my way these shows would continue for a long time. Great job too all of cast and the rest of team.

7. Teag says:

I’ve never seen this show but I’m sad for the fans. They should do a 2 hour finale.

I really hope Defiance lasts a long time. At least 5 seasons.

8. Alice says:

Can they at least wrap the show up? See this is why I hate watching shows on Scifi they always do crap like this.

9. Nina says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO you can’t leave us with that cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Merry Merino says:

That’s it. I am officially declaring SyFy Showcase’s bitch. They have Haven, Warehouse 13, and Defiance left, and those days are probably numbered. I give up.

11. Lauren says:

So sad..but not surprised since it took SyFy a LONG time to announce whether or not it would be renewed. Think they said it would be mid-Dec. but that didn’t happen. Anywho I wish the cast and crew best of luck in the near future!

12. Geo says:

First rule of SyFy– they WILL cancel whatever show you’re watching there on a cliffhanger, without resolution. Remember on Charlie Brown when Lucy would hold the football but yank it away from Charlie Brown every time he ran up to kick it? ..and how Charlie Brown kept trying it again and again, expecting Lucy to someday not yank away the ball (but she never did)? Well, consider SyFy Lucy and any viewer who starts watching a series there Charlie Brown. Watch at your own peril. If you’re a fan of closure, SyFy is probably the last network you ever want to watch.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

That’s not true. They ended Battlestar and Eureka properly. Also quite a few other shows. Alphas was weak. The story was awful and it was a lame ripoff of Heroes, which also sucked. People are going to have to just get over it when low rated shows get cancelled. And they changed the name of the channel to SyFy from SciFi, that should be a CLEAR indication they are no longer a science fiction only channel. That was the point of the name change.

• mia says:

Lol that’s a perfect analogy.

• joannmarie says:

Wonderful reply. I feel exactly like that with most TV shows/ web sites, etc. Cnn changes hosts so much that you no longer get a chance to feel you know the host..not like the old days. I think the reason Fox tops them is not the news part but that the hosts mostly stay the same at Fox. There is comfort in continuity. I opened my Flickr this week and found a completely different layout that is cumbersome to work with and as a paying member had no say in the changes. I think Corporations are Lucy and the rest of us are Charlie Brown.
      We do not have TV any longer but do have NetFlix so watched the first season of Alpha and loved it, especially Ryan Cartwright portrayal of an Autistic person. He was absolutely wonderful in that part. I was going to purchase the second season but after the comments here about the ending..I guess we will end with the first season. It would have been nice if someone else had picked it up.
      My Breaking Bad and Mad Men are ending this year too…what will I watch. Just TED talks, I guess.’)

13. Rachel says:

figures now Im done with the network once Merlin runs its coarse. No more Alphas, Eureka… whats the point.

• Jerry W says:

Merlin is BBC. Already aired in britain. Downloaded the final season, removed SyiFy from my Channel guide and have not watched the channel since Alphas was canceled. THey have nothing to interest me.

14. tvdiva says:

Ok folks. Remember this rule – if the show is created by SYFY they will cancel when you least expect it with no wrap up. If the show comes from Canada or someplace else, you can rest easy – we will get a final episode wrap up.

• Simon Jester says:

“When you least expect it”? Really? If you don’t expect cancellation when a show’s ratings drop, you’re a fool. I liked Alphas, but I’m man enough to acknowledge that there weren’t enough others who shared my view.

• keja says:

Not everyone is a ratings junkie, Simon. Many aren’t aware, or don’t follow, the numbers. They just know that a show they were really getting into suddenly isn’t there anymore.

I agree with tvdiva.

Sure SyFy (sorry, will always be Skiffy to me) had BSG and Stargate which had successful runs (although the way they announced the cancellation of the latter was shameful) .

But for every successful run, there were three or four more promising, enjoyable shows that had the plug pulled too early:

Farscape (which did get a wrapup mini, no thanks to Skiffy – well…they at least had the decency to AIR it.)
      Caprica
      Sanctuary
      Eureka
      Alphas
      Invisible Man
      Stargate SGU
      The Chronicle
      First Wave
      Dresden Files

I’m sure there are others I’m missing. My point is, Skiffy’s track record really sucks. More often than not, if you invest in a Skiffy original scripted show, you’ll have the rug pulled out from under you before all is said and done. They’re worse than the broadcast networks.Yes, thank goodness for quality Science Fiction series coming in from Canada and the UK, otherwise we’d have nothing of value. Even if Skiffy stops airing them, they’re still getting produced and will probably make it to DVD eventually.

15. Morgan says:

SyFy, FRAK YOU!! I, for one, will no longer be watching anything SyFy has to offer and hopefully others will follow suit!! >:( SIHTH

16. guest says:

Ugh…I really enjoyed Alphas and the cliff hanger ending was huge. I watch a lot of scripted stuff on Syfy (Being Human, Warehouse 13, Haven, Lost Girl, Continuum’s first episode was pretty good, and I’ll watch Defiance). I absolutely HATE all of their unscripted stuff. Wrestling and boring ghost hunting shows are destryoing the network – well in my opinion anyway. Do they have any other scripted shows in the works?

• mia says:

Well rest easy that Lost Girl and Continuum are Canadian and aren’t going anywhere. SyFy can’t cancel them, they are not theirs to cancel.
      And Being Human is a co-production with Canada so it won’t be dumped as thoughtlessly either

• JC says:

SyFy can’t cancel them, they are not theirs to cancel.

SyFy is not forced to air these shows just because they’re still being produced in Canada. They can certainly stop carrying Lost Girl on SyFy if the ratings fall, even if it’s still airing on Showcase Canada.

• jericho says:

To my knowledge the only scripted show other than the recently premiered Continuum they have in the pipe is Defiance. Which while I admire the phenomenal job they have done with casting, has a horrible pedigree in terms of development. Remember the show is their big push for an mmorpg/tv series crossover. The game looks like crap, it will more than likely not be released until after the series has wrapped up its first 8 episode “season” so we will not see that crossover til after its pretty much been decided.

NBCU has been good with USA, giving shows at least 2 seasons to try and make something of themselves. They just have utterly failed to develop anything for their other channels. Syfy, E! and G4 are all disasters and NBC proper has very little of remark outside of their 2-3 days a week The Voice strategy.

• GLW says:

Nope your right, the unscripted stuff is mostly junk other than Face Off. And Lost Girl isn’t that great.

17. Sabrina says:

Soooo disappointing!!!!!!

18. Marilyn says:

What a bummer! I loved the show. And, yes, they should at least wrap it up with a finale a la the movie, SERENITY. Phooey!

19. Whydotheykeepcancelingshows says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My summer’s ruined!!!

20. Drew says:

I wasn’t a fan of Alphas at first, but it kinda grew on me. Meanwhile, Warehouse 13 had an absolutely horrible season, so I wouldn’t have been too let down if that one went away.

At least Being Human is good TV.

21. TVPeong says:

Oh no! I really hope that they give them a finale so they can wrap up the story. There are so many questions unanswered

22. Juan says:

Best scify show out there, I’m very upset about this, Great show that I will miss greatly

23. JAO says:

If it was ‘so high quality and entertaining,’ why is it canceled? I enjoyed it a lot.

24. JT says:

Again, Syfy makes another huge mistake. Stupid, stupid move. It didn’t even get to have a good conclusion. Very sad.

25. Well Bones killed off Vincent Nigel Murray for no reason!! And now the show sucks because of it!!

26. John Grose says:

No! Alphas is actually a good show! Damn it!

27. CitizenX says:

God I hated Rosen. Whining and nashing of teeth. Otherwise a fine show.

Hey, there is always WWE.
    /s

28. Justin says:

I’m very upset about this one. Alphas was a great show.

29. LynnH says:

Really SyFy? You’re just going to leave us (and Gary) stranded at the train station? UGH. Don’t think I’ll be watching any more SyFy shows. Terrific cast – I hope they all get great new gigs.

30. Lilu says:

DAAAAYUM !!!! that s*cks!!! Loved the show!!!

31. Ethel says:

Can Ryan Cartwright come back from the dead and return to Bones? His portrayal of Gary on Alphas was awesome and the only reason I watched the show

32. KMG says:

I watched almost the entire first season of Alphas – really wanted it to be fun, but it was just another X-men clone (and yeah, Heroes turned into the same thing). I was particularly disappointed in Strathairn, who I really enjoy usually, but his character in Alphas was just whiny and had no real leadership ability and not much spine. I’m sorry for the shows’s remaining fans that they ended Season 2 on a cliffhanger that will go unresolved, but I was actually surprised they even GOT a Season 2. I think they should have cancelled Alphas and kept Eureka going instead.

33. David Ness says:

WHY?

Why cant scifi let a show build up? what is the point in a two season arc of a tv show? they did this to SGU also, gah.

Syfy ruining television programmes by default.

34. Pam K. says:

I HATE ending a series on a cliffhanger. Can’t we at least get a movie to tie up loose ends? Does poor Gary just wander around Grand Central Station for all eternity?

35. jonathan says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

36. Kathy aka scifikat says:

Any show that goes to at least a 2nd season deserves to be allowed to film an ending. Syfy channel insults & alienates fans with just abruptly cancelling a show, giving us no closure. Boo to Syfy for not supporting existing shows! bad enough the channel airs ‘reality’ crap & wrestling! nurture, not cancel!

• Asashii Fustazi says:

i dont fall for it anymore, and i dont watch syfy shows until they are completed, i am a nelson house hold and they dont get any rating counts from me!!!

• AT says:

So, let me get this straight… you’re one of the few people who could actually help to keep quality scifi shows on TV and you refuse to do so? I would LOVE to be a Nielsen household so that I could actually do something to keep shows I watch on TV. For shame…

37. Linda says:

Well, there goes another show cancelled……for me, that’s two in two days! Wonder what will be next….Warehouse 13? My must-see TV viewing is becoming shorter & shorter!

38. matty says:

I’ve seen a couple of comments about this show being American and I’d like to point out that we’ve shot this show in Canada the whole time. Even the pilot.

• Shaun says:

It is American,just shot up here.It’s whoever finances it that it belongs to.

• Lauren says:

Its an American production but shoots in Canada…..like SMallville, Supernatural

• AT says:

Nearly all of SyFy’s shows are shot in Canada, but SyFy is technically an American company. The difference being referenced is between the SyFy truly original in-house series (Haven, Warehouse 13, Alphas), and those purchased for syndication from Canadian/British TV channels (Lost Girl, Continuum, Merlin).

39. Joan says:

Alphas was a lot of fun. I will miss the whiny teen ager the most. A real bummer.

40. Asashii Fustazi says:

and that is why alot of people quit watching sysfy and any of their original shows, wait until the show is complete and watch the shows online or rent the dvd’s any rational smart person does this now, so get your act together as a network or disappear!!!

41. phamster says:

I have to say I am bummed. It was not the best show but it did have some of the best characters, imo. They need to do a spinoff with Bill and Gary! I would totally watch that.

42. ElsieM says:

Wow – they get an actor of David Strathairn’s caliber and then throw it and him away? Crazy. Loved Alphas. Very sad about this.

43. I knew it says:

I knew they all died, no one believed me, but I told them, “Just you wait and see, the show will be over now because somebody messed up and everyone but Gary died in the train station. . .I hate when I’m right. *sigh* My shows are dropping left and right here.

44. Clyde Starr says:

I personally loved Alphas and this saddens me! I wanted to see the eventual true cross-over between Alphas and Warehouse 13 hinted at when Lindsey Wagner’s character from W13 made an appearance on the show!

Alphas was quality programming, it will be missed. I would like to see a nice 2 hour wrap-up movie at least, to tie up the loose ends.

I’m even more disappointed though about the end of Merlin. The whole series, you wait for that time when Arthur knows about Merlin’s magic and his role in protecting the kingdom. You wait for the big reveal, and then want to see what happens once Magic is not fully outlawed in Camelot, and then they do the reveal and kill off Arthur in a rather anti-climactic ending in my opinion. Great show, but only a fair finale 2 parter overall.

What is really surprising is that Haven basically finished its main plot arc, but it does get renewed for a 4th season. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Haven, and I’m glad its coming back for more, but makes no sense to close a show like Merlin on a note like they did, or abandon Alphas on a cliffhanger, but renew a show that’s actively run its current primary plotline to a reasonable completion

SyFy, WTF!!!

And please, please PLEASE get rid of the reality programming like WWE. At least Ghosthunter type shows and Face-Off and Scare-Tactics fit the theme of the network, both old(Sci-Fi) and new (SyFy) but WWE doesn’t at all!

Oh, also keep up with Lost Girl, love love love that show!

45. David says:

I’m trying o work out how “ordinary people” can have “superhuman physical and mental abilities”.

46. harmon jaxon says:

Frankly, I’m getting sick of getting interested in a show and then after a cliff-hanger season ending, they cancel it and there’s no way to know until it doesn’t appear for a year. Odyssey 5 on showtime, Total Recall on showtime, Sanctuary, Firefly, that black good-guy vampire. … I understand teh finances, but they need to give loyal fans at least a two-hour special or abbreviated season to end things and tie them up. That would even make the videos worth buying.
    At this point, I’m not getting into any more program with syfy or showtime, which are the worst offenders.

47. the color of disappointment says:

Ugh I miss it already don’t care what any one says that show had heart. It took very little time at all for the characters to endear themselves to me loved their flaws and their strengths along with their struggle to find a balance between the to…

48. Paul says:

I believe it is obvious that the executive staff doesn’t care about the fans of SciFi which attracted its base in the beginning because we hungered for some quality programming. Other networks have been outdoing them in the genre with shows like “The Walking Dead”, “Zero Hour”, and “Touch”. When SyFy does a show they make it appear cheap and always cancel it before it reaches a conclusion. If they can’t keep a show a quality programmer will at least wrap it up with it reaching a conclusion, but not these clucks. True fans of the genre want to see the endof a programm not to be left high and dry like these idiots do to us time after time. Their only motivation is the dollar not trying to satisfy their base, and without their base they will never get the dollar.

• I’m with Paul, I just don’t get how they seem to start out on the right foot with presenting something that could actually compete,then just leave us all hanging.I looked so forward to seeing how they would handle destruction that took place at the end of season…just totally upset