It's Official: The Killing to Return for Season 3 — With New, Self-Contained Mystery

Get More: News, Renewals

The-Killing-blogThe Killing has been revived.

The dark mystery series will enjoy life beyond the Rosie Larsen murder investigation when it returns to production in February.

Though the cable drama was cancelled in July “after much deliberation,” the new season definitely will air on AMC.

RELATED | Exclusive: The Killing Lives? Netflix and DirecTV Both Eye Revival of Axed AMC Drama

Executive producer, writer and showrunner Veena Sud will return, as will lead actors Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman. The new season will center on a new case, which — unlike the Rosie riddle — will resolve over the course of 12 episodes.

The show will pick up a year after closing the Larsen case. Linden won’t be a detective anymore, but when Holder discovers a string of horrific murders that connects with one of her old investigations, she’ll be drawn back into action.

Billy Campbell’s Mayor Richmond won’t be part of the third season; neither will Brent Sexton or Michelle Forbes, who played Rosie’s parents. New characters include Tom Seward, a death-row murderer reminiscing about his bloody past; Ed Skinner, Linden’s old partner who might have shared an extramarital moment with the redhead; and Dannette Lutz, a terrible mother whose 15-year-old daughter goes missing.

Any possible involvement by Netflix, as previously rumored, at this time is unclear.

Comments (43)

• Yes! More Kinnaman on my tv…erm computer! I don’t care if the show was kind of a dud, he’s too pretty to not watch!

Comment by Sam – January 15, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Joni – January 15, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I became such a big fan of Joel Kinnaman after watching The Killing. He is fantastic as Holder! And the more he’s on my tv or computer the better :)

Comment by Eliza – January 15, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman…awesome.

Veena Sud….Arrrggghhh!

Comment by filmex2000 – January 16, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great. I really enjoyed season 1 and 2. Glad it got picked up for a third season.

Comment by jasie – January 15, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So will it be on netflix or AMC? I

Comment by Kat – January 15, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing it will air on AMC and then exclusively on Netflix. It needs a TV outlet to be profitable. (Plus, AMC issued the press release.)

Comment by Chicago Dan – January 15, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Kat – AMC. It says so in the second sentence.

Comment by Simon Jester – January 15, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good news. I was fine with the finale’ fake in Season 1 but I’m glad to see they’ll wrap things up in 12 episodes this time. Great cast and I’m looking forward to the new season.

Comment by Linderella – January 15, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News! It will be shown on AMC first then Netflix/

Comment by Adam Bramble – January 15, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. They could’ve at least fired Veena Sud. Then MAYBE this third season would have a shot at being decent. But as it stands, I severely doubt it will be.

Comment by Superhero – January 15, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You “severely doubt it will be”? I watched the first two seasons and am 100% confident IT WON’T BE! Veena Sud is clueless on what makes good television.

Comment by KevyB – January 16, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm the only thing that wasn’t good about the show was that the Rosie Larson case took too long to solve…Everything else was actually pretty great.

Comment by Thejesscen – January 16, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. Great actors.

Comment by flo – January 15, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we know when the 3rd season will be broadcast?

Comment by Sarah – January 15, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. 1. Will is be raining the whole time and 2. Will Linden smile at all and be a somewhat better parent? :)

Comment by Kim R – January 15, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. The constant rain and dreary weather coupled with Linden’s dour expression made the show a bit depressing. Kinnaman kept me watching.

Comment by The Beach – January 16, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is exactly what USA should do and bring back political Animals,the show has critical acclaim and its the only show from them that gets emmy,golden globe noms!!they should make it a full time miniseries!

Comment by ruby – January 15, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Full time miniseries” is an oxymoron.

Comment by Superhero – January 15, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Superhero – Not according to AMERICAN HORROR STORY! :-D

Comment by Simon Jester – January 15, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Killing and Veena Sud glad the show will be back.

Comment by Witchy – January 15, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very, very happy about this.

Comment by Eliza – January 15, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad it’s coming back!

Comment by arial2 – January 15, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just reading the AV Club’s article on the renewal of this show from The Onion. It is extremely funny. I get the impression they are not fans of The Killing. I may yet still watch this. Or at least I’ll give the first episode a try to see if they’ve made it different. I didn’t think it was really quite that bad before. I got more into it towards the end, but the AV Club did bring up some very good points about the show’s faults.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 15, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. Now bring back The LA Complex!!!!

Comment by Mandy – January 15, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!
    The case being solved by the end of the season even better !

Comment by Whatever – January 15, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

Comment by Booger – January 15, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they’re basically rebooting it as “The Linden/Holder Mystery Show”. I tease, but given the pedigree that’s very likely an improvement.

Comment by J – January 15, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Please have the rainy atmosphere like in season one that really made the atmosphere and mystery for me. Plus it was so unique visually. I was hoping they would do the Swedish season two plotline with the lawyer but I’m sure this will be goos.

Comment by cj – January 15, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy The Killing is back! I have missed Linden and Holder so much! I’m such a fan of Joel Kinnaman and it’s all because of this show! He rocks as Holder!

Comment by Bridgette – January 15, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What you said. I wish there was a LIKE button, it would save a lot of typing and space here :D Any chance there will be one, Michael? Pretty please?

Comment by Annika – January 15, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you TV GODS! Thank you!

Comment by luke – January 15, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is great! it is not a show for everyone’s taste but i loved it!

Comment by omabin – January 16, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to another dark mystery.

Comment by Keith – January 16, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What wonderful news. Looking forward to the new season. Watched the pilot again last night and I love the Holder-Linden combo.

Comment by Joan – January 16, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled….love the show :)

Comment by Nancy – January 16, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I’m so excited the show has been revived!

Comment by Juli – January 16, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news! Love Linden and Holder and happy AMC picked up Season 3.

Comment by Laura – January 16, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I was sorry to see it go and am glad to see they are bringing it back with a new story line. Glad to see that they will also solve the case in 12 shows as well. Looking forward to it!

Comment by susan – January 16, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like everyone else, I’m looking forward — but WHEN OH WHEN does the new season start??!!

Comment by Sue – January 22, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reson it’s always raining, and makes you feel depressed is because it takes place in Seattle.

Comment by Alvaro Orozco – January 30, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see how people can hate on this show! If you honestly did not love the casting of this show your crazy, yes the story line was a little all over the place but no worse then any other crime drama on TV. This show had me on the edge for two straight years and I look forward too the third season.

Comment by Jeff – April 13, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding design .

Comment by Sylwester – April 16, 2013 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post