NCIS Recap: You Are Not Alone

ShivaThis Tuesday on CBS’ NCIS, Agent Ziva David and Director Leon Vance dealt with the devastating loss of loved ones, while Gibbs’ team worked overtime to find out who was responsible.

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week: NCIS‘ Cote de Pablo

The episode opened with Ziva in temple, praying — as well as questioning G-d, “Why should I not be angry, with all that has been taken? Show me, why I should not lose hope?” Tony interrupts, having had McGee do his “ping” thing to locate her. “Sympathy is the last thing I want right now,” she says. Rather, she needs “revenge.”

At NCIS, Jarvis says the Secretary of State has given them 48 hours to find the man who ordered the assault before Israel gets looped in. He then grumbles that he should have been told that Eli was in the States, since a lot of finger-pointing and wagon-circling will happen once word of his death gets out. In the morgue, Ducky tells Gibbs that the shooter, a Swede/former Special Forces guy named Ames, was dying anyway, so Gibbs, McGee and Tony deduce that he must have left someone behind for his payday to go to.

RELATED | Ratings for Tuesday, Jan. 8: NCIS Hits a Season High

HOWDY, DEPUTY | Deputy Director Craig (played by Greg Germann) arrives, introduced in such a way that we are led to believe Gibbs & Co. deal with him intermittently (even though we are just seeing him for the first time). Vance wants to be involved in the case, but Jarvis maintains that Craig must handle the day-to-day. Similarly, Ziva tries to pick Abby’s brain about the bullets, to no avail, being on the same “too close to the case” list.

Gibbs brings Eli’s Iranian liaison, Kazmi, to NCIS to share the news of the Mossad director’s death. Gibbs suggests that the gents’ plan to make peace was the perfect set-up for Eli’s murder, but Kazmi argues differently and in that spirit he will have his VIVAC files (intel) sent over. Meanwhile, McGee (aka “Timmy”) strikes up a video chat with Gavriela, who (when she’s not brushing off DiNozzo) says that a group called First Wave, funded by an American millionaire named “Gustafson,” might wish Eli harm.

Soundbite break: “So help me, McBlivious, if you don’t pounce on that hot Israeli action I’ll never forgive you… She’s caught the McFever and you’re the only cure.”

RELATED | NCIS Scoop: How Two Sudden, ‘Organic’ Deaths Will Shake Up the Rest of Season 10

THE MOSSAD COMES KNOCKING | Tony brings in Gustafson, who makes no bones about backing First Wave or the problems the likes of Eli cause, but argues, “My feelings [about the Israelis] are strictly business.” Vance interrupts to ask the suspect his feelings about “collateral damage” and innocent blood spilled. After Tony and Gibbs hold Leon back, Craig is forced to ask him to take administrative leave.

Ziva visits her father’s drawer in the morgue, but declines Ducky’s offer to see him. “Farewells are always difficult; closure even more so,” Ducky notes. Recognizing her religious need to bury her father within a matter of days, Ducky promises to do his best to release Eli’s body ASAP. Gibbs urges Ziva to “go be fine, just not here,” so she makes camp at Tony’s. When Tony says he’ll grab an air mattress, she asks about the couch — and Tony says it’s already taken, by Shmiel. A pleased Ziva mouths “Thank you” to Tony as she hugs her old friend.

At NCIS, Mossad Deputy Director Ilan Bodnar (played of course by Oded Fehr) storms in, looking for his mentor Eli and asking to see the man in charge. McGee breathes deep and tries to step up, but Bodnar wants the SecNav! Meanwhile at Tony’s, when he tries to console Ziva after a bad dream, she rebuffs, saying, “Leave me alone…. I’m fine. Really.” Back at NCIS, Craig beliefs Bodnar, who refuses to “stand by and wait for [NCIS] to do your job.” Craig says Oh yes you will, that NCIS gets dibs on the manhunt, while the Mossad can handle prosecution. “I make no promises,” Bodnar responds. “You do what you must; we will do what we must.”

THIS MEANS WAR…? | Gibbs meets up with Vance, whose kids want answers about their mother’s death beyond random “intruder.” Vance admits to Gibbs that this ordeal “made me better understand your choices…. I never wanted that kind of justice before, but now it’s all I think about.” What Gibbs did with his own loss “had to be some relief.” Vance’s parting words: “Do me a favor: Get these bastards.”

When Tony finds Ziva covertly emailing from his laptop, she reveals that she was communicating with her father’s protegé Ilan, then lashes out about Tony not saying Ilan had been briefed. “What do you want me to say? The guy is Mossad,” DiNozzo explains. “I was Mossad!” Ziva retorts. Tony: “And now you are the daughter of a dead man — let yourself act like one.”

RELATED | NCIS Casts Young Abby for Origin Episode Full of ‘Prizes’ for Longtime Fans

McGee and Abby trace the bullets to an Iranian arms dealer whose name was conspicuously missing from Kazmi’s VIVAC files, so Gibbs smells a rat. Craig concurs that it could be a cover-up, yet both he and Gibbs take Kazmi at his word. Bodnar then shows up, having discovered Eli’s real reason for being in the States. Further infuriating him is the news that Kazmi, “Eli’s killer,” is in NCIS custody. He storms off to alert his prime minister: “If the result is war, it is your fault, not ours.”

BLOWN AWAY | As Ziva later takes a video call from Ilan, Kazmi relays to Gibbs that there was a conspicuous six-hour delay from the time they sent the VIVAC files to NCIS and when they were received — and thus they likely were hacked to redact the arms dealer’s name. When the money trail to the shooter leads to an account nicknamed “Virtue,” Ziva reveals that in Hebrew that is Ilan’s middle name! Gibbs and Tony race to DiNozzo’s place, while Ziva fetches the gun Tony keeps strapped to the back of the toilet “Godfather-style.” Bodnar doesn’t show, however, and instead is “in the wind.” Shortly after Gibbs commends Kazmi on what he and Eli tried to do, Kazmi’s transport SUV is blown to bits.

That night, Ziva is at the airfield waiting to take Eli’s body to Israel. “Someone has come to see you off,” Shmiel notes — Tony. “You did not have to come,” Ziva says. Tony assures her that he and everyone will find Bodnar, then urges her, “Don’t do this,” seeking her own revenge.

Shiva

“I’m going to a funeral, to deliver my father’s eulogy,” she responds. “He was not an easy man to understand, and yet…. Tony, I….” Ziva leans forward into a warm embrace, her face behind Tony displaying a sense of comfort. “Aht lo leh-vahd,” Tony whispers in her ear. You are not alone. “I know,” she smiles as she walks away. A closing montage, set to Patty Griffin’s “You Are Not Alone,” alternates between Ziva in Israel picking olives, planting a tree and leaving a note at the Wailing Wall, and Jackie Vance’s funeral.

Want scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ginger says:

What was that gorgeous song playing at the end?

2. SAM says:

While not quite as good as last week’s episode, it was still a fine one.

3. Pat D. says:

Cote with the soft hair in that top picture….yummy

4. Jen says:

I’m still sobbing over the episode. NCIS is just AMAZING.

5. Oh, I loved this episode and all the emotional feels from Tony and Ziva to Vance and Gibbs!!! This really packed an emotional punch especially in the closing montage, with Ziva and Vance!!!! I’m looking forward to seeing how all this plays out for the rest of this season. Loved what Tony said to Ziva as she hugged him. Felt so bad for Vance as he said he understood now why Gibbs did what he did.

6. Jaz says:

That episode was perfect, I had so many expectations for this ep and I did not expect any of it.. it was pure NCIS style and I loved it! For some reason I was waiting for something terrible to happen at the end but I am so happy nothing did. The ending was perfect! Please Ziva come back safe and hug Tony a few more hundred times! :)

• Kailey says:

I thought the end scene wanted us to hope that Tony had gone to be with Ziva because as it scanned the mourners at the funeral it did not show Tony til later (or maybe it was just my wishful thinking). I also wondered what Tony said but I think it is sweet every time he speaks to her in her native language as he has taken the time to learn some of it.

• Me says:

I thought someone should have gone with her even if it wasn’t Tony. Maybe Abby? Stil, very good episode.

• Kath says:

Shmeil went with her, didn’t he?

Ziva always worked hard to keep her Israeli/Mossad self separate from NCIS so it makes sense that no one from NCIS went with her.

7. Dee says:

Ziva and Tony are such complicated characters but oh are the fun to watch!

8. I adore Tiva. I am dead now from all my feels but at least I died happy with that hug

9. sladewilson says:

Great episode but I’m still waiting to see the first time Ziva and Vance are in the same room. Now that’s going to be very interesting…

10. epicuriouserin says:

I was wondering what Tony said! I loved the episode but it feels very unfinished. I suppose that’s what they want. ..I also feel like Tony and Ziva are so close now I don’t see how they can go back to how they were before

11. Tali says:

such a heartbreaking episode, just like last week. After seasons of meh episodes they kill it with just two. my heart aches for both Ziva and Vance and yes Tony. hope they keep up the amazing work for the rest of the season.

12. David says:

Tony said “I love you” in Hebrew

13. Rachel Wells says:

Tony said, “You are not alone” – my Hebrew got me through that one! (although us Tiva hopers were hoping for I LOVE YOU) either way, this episode was a turning point for our two loves! With regards to the plot, to be honest, it was pretty clear Mr. Mossad wanna be was behind it – and it was secondary to the character development. I absolutely have been hard on NCIS this season, but not these two episodes, they were FIVE out FIVE caf pows. Cote de Pablo was BRILLIANT and emmy worthy! Bravo to the cast and crew, from writers, to director to actors..this was very well done. As a living room, “NCIS special agent fanatic” ….. group hug!

• Nubie says:

I couldn’t agree more – “Five for Five” and a brilliant conclusion to an EPIC two-part saga that will go down in NCIS Canon history, for certain. One of THE most well-written eps in a long time; they brought their “A Game” to these episodes, and it SHOWED!! :) At first I thought Kazmi was the culprit, but Bodnar makes for a more intriguing storyline arc. NOW we know a little bit about what we’ll face towards the end of the season. Bodnar is trying to eliminate the last link in the David Dynasty: Ziva. She has Gibbs, Tony & the team: he has zero chance to succeed.

• Dreamrose says:

I’m not so sure it actually *is* Bodnar – it seemed that he was going to “find” Ziva, but he never does and isn’t seen again. He has a bank account in his own middle name (pretty stupid for a covert operative), and his overt hostility and paranoid behavior earn him no friends at NCIS. He supposedly orders the murder of a man that Ziva says he considers to be his father, just to take his job. And once Bodnar was exposed, he blows up the Iranian, what, out of spite? Let me just say that I wouldn’t be surprised if Bodnar’s dead body turns up at some point.

• D says:

Maybe it’s Schmiel…

• Nubie says:

It was confirmed in the episode near the end, that it IS Bodnar. DiNozzo also informed Ziva that mutliple agencies have joined in the effort to track him down. It will be part of the continuing storyline of Ziva’s that Glasberg mentioned, which will take us into the season finale.

14. Erin says:

I laughed for awhile when Oded Fehr showed up…talk about typecasting! Such a great episode. Loved how they used the Patty Griffin song at the end – I had a feeling that’s what Tony said from the song. Loved it.

• Pat D. says:

I know…he gets so many bad-guy roles, like Neal McDonough, LOL. BTW, Oded was awesome in the short lived series Sleeper Cell, if you are interested.

• N says:

Oded gets to play an Israeli, normally he’s typecast as your standard Arab villain. He might be type cast but he makes a pretty good bad guy for this show especially since we need a cunning bad guy. Ilan Bodnar is really Ari 2.0 which is nice. harper dearing had redeeming qualities Bodnar doesn’t which is why the character is such a great villain

• Dreamrose says:

Oded Fehr also plays a recurring Mossad officer, Eyal, on Covert Affairs. When he popped up on my TV here, it took me a moment to remember that he *wasn’t* Eyal, but some other Mossad guy entirely. Though Eyal is a lot nicer than Bodnar, any day of the week.

• Suncatcher says:

Oded not only plays an Israeli – he IS an Israeli in real life. Great casting NCIS!

• Shannon-Jo says:

To take it back further (and show my age, lol), he also played the demon, Zankou, on Charmed.

• Shaun says:

He’s been on a Resident Evil movie….so it’s not all Jewish/Arab roles

• drhenning says:

It’s too bad that Covert Affairs is a Universal/USA Network show.. Great for a cross-over here with Oded Fehr where in that show he quits Mossad to help her… Pretty good work for him even if type cast.. But, it’s not a bad type cast…

15. Svenska says:

Didn’t this seem a little too neat in the end? We were made to dislike Ilan Bodnar from the beginning so is he really the bad guy or are we being lead to believe that he is the baddie? Would a guy in his position do something as foolish as to name an assasination operation like that after his own middle name? That doesn’t seem fishy to anyone?
    Oded Fehr did a great job as always!

16. ABC says:

I liked last week’s episode better, but this one was solid.

17. Misha says:

Who is the artist singing you are not alone at the end of tonight’s show? Is there a way to know? The artist who wrote the song is not who was singing tonight……awesome show tonight!

18. Jerri says:

love Oded Fehr, he should be cast more often. so much talent.

19. Ditt says:

I was sure Ziva was pulling a Han Solo with “I know” until I came here, darn it. And was I the only one that thought that Gibbs’ was pointedly looking at the kids when Vance compared their ordeals? A signal that Vance had more to lose than Gibbs had after Shannon and Kelly’s deaths.

Lastly I think that this “Back at NCIS, Craig beliefs Bodnar” should be briefs, not beliefs.

• Debbie says:

I took Gibbs look at the kids to mean, you still have your kids and THEY need your FULL attention. Great 2 shows.

• Lori Fugate says:

I thought Gibbs’ look was both of the reasons, Vance will have more to lose and he has his kids to think about. I love how FINALLY we are seeing Vance the person, not the director. Fine job by Rocky Carroll too.

20. tr says:

I wonder why no Granger. Why introduce a different character to take over ncis?

• Bianca says:

I always thought that NCIS has different deputy directors in different regions. So Granger is California or maybe the whole West Coast or whatever and Craig is DC and/or East Coast.

• Jimpy says:

I think the real reason is Miguel Ferrer wasn’t available. Also the deputy director would outrank an assistant director. The deputy would be number two. Also it’s possible that the producers wanted a lighter character in the story, although Granger can be funny, especially if people are stonewalling him. His reactions were great when Eric was explaining how a nuclear bomb works. It would have been a bit darker show with Granger. And it would be fun to see someone from LA on the Original.

• Kim R says:

I was actually expecting, while watching NCIS:LA, that there would be a mention of the death’s of Eli and Jackie. I mean Vance is the director. I think it would have been a smart thing to do in the writing and airing of the sister series.

• Because in real life NCIS there are assistant deputy directors in addition to the deputy director. :-)

• Lori Fugate says:

Granger is the assistant/deputy to Hetty, the NCIS office in LA, not assistant/deputy to NCIS as a whole. Big difference…Vance was Hetty before transferring to the NCIS Director’s position. NCIS headquaters, or main office, if you will allow that to be, is the Navy Yard in Washington, DC.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Nailed it.

• GeekGirl13 says:

My understanding of Granger and Hetty’s positions within NCIS is different. I’ve always understood Hetty to be an Operations Manager overseeing the LA field office and when Granger was brought in, I understood him to be a deputy director who would answer specifically to Vance. Hetty therefor would answer to him, accept we know that Hetty is a force unto herself. Curious to know what their positions truly are now.

• Seth says:

Lori and Matt,

I still believe that interpretation is incorrect. Granger is an Assistant Director for the entire agency. Granted Hetty doesn’t always act as subordinate as a lower employee seemingly would, it is fairly clear in the Granger appearances he outranks her. Hetty is the Operations Manager for the LA field office.

The new character introduced last night as Deputy Director Craig, would be one level higher than Granger, one level lower than Vance.

• Nope. Vance was stationed in the San Diego office, this is mentioned in numerous episodes during Director Shephard’s tenure.

Granger is not an assistant to Hetty, but an assistant who reports to Deputy Director Craig and/or Director Vance. This is why there is tension whenever Granger is around; on paper Granger is Hetty’s superior.

Org chart would roughly flow like this: Vance > Craig > Granger > Lange, and for fun, Gibbs/Callen > DiNozzo/Hanna > McGee/Blye > David/Deeks.

However, a flaw in the writing during the transition of Vance to Director from Shephard, is that technically a Deputy Director should have been promoted to the post. Vance was an Assistant Director at the time (same position as Granger).

21. Jb says:

Patty griffin is the artist singing “you are not alone”

22. Stephanie says:

This was such a good episode. I’m still reeling. Everyone was fantastic, but especially Cote de Pable, Rocky Carroll and Michael Weatherly. Those three just blew me away. Absolutely brilliant. :)

23. Kim R says:

It was an excellent episode. I was expecting some really heart felt interaction between Ziva and Tony at his apartment though per previous article. I guess I have to stop believing the hype. :) The episode did not let me down, however. I can’t wait to see where it all will lead.

24. tvdiva says:

I thought the writers did an excellent job of having Tony comforting Ziva by bringing in her oldest and dearest friend, and by telling her to stop suppressing her grief. the dual montage at the end with Ziva planting the olive tree and planting a prayer at the wailing wall had me weeping again. I cannot wait to see how this murderous scenario plays out through later episodes and the season finale.

25. taliesin says:

Looking forward to the day that Ziva suggests that Tony get a bigger bed… :)

26. Stacey says:

Loved it. Now we see what will be our ending arc for the season. Catching Jackie (and Eli’s killer) and the crossroads Ziva is at. Especially if she catches him. Will she kill. Or hold back at let NCIS have their way with him. And how Vance deals with the reality of losing his wife. Loved the progress, tremedous progress that was made with Tony and Ziva. How he was there for her. And Wow, that was shipper moment with him the one to see her off. She knows how much he’s been there for her. I almost think he wanted to say something very meaninful as she walked away, but he held his tongue and almost looked emotional himself. Loved the talk that Vance and Gibbs has. Sure Gibbs has time to really judge whether revenge/vengence was worth it in the end. But Vance still has his kids, who he has to be strong for… Gibbs didn’t. Loved the two parter. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfold.

27. Jane says:

Did any one else find Deputy Director Craig to be a little too inept? It was almost like he was trying to give Bodnar information when they met. I have a feeling we will find out that he was behind it all.

• Lori Fugate says:

I don’t think Deputy/Acting Director Craig is inept,,as much as he is intimidated by Gibbs (and Vance)…he is unsure of himself…but does show signs of life when he stands up to Vance and informs him he is being placed on temporary leave.

• GeekGirl13 says:

I have been thinking in a very similar vain. Perhaps even that Bodnar and DD Craig are working together to better their own positions within their respective agencies.

28. Marisol says:

This episode was a win on all fronts. Tony/Ziva, Vance/Gibbs. I am really looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the balance of the season.

29. SPE says:

Best line of the episode:

Bodnar: “And whose grandfather might you be?”
    Ducky: “I don’t know….who is your grandmother?”

30. JBC says:

Loved this episode. The chemistry of all the NCIS team continues to make the viewer really sense the feeling that they are “family” and really have each others back and care deeply for each other. Well done, NCIS!

31. Lorie says:

Brilliant episode! Matt, thanks for translating Tony’s line.

32. Claire says:

That opening scene with Ziva praying — her voice echoing and alone — beautiful. These heavy episodes are usually at the end of a season, but I LOVE that these took place mid-season. So powerful! Ziva — so strong and unyielding. Cote is just wonderful! The Tony/Ziva scenes — words fail. McGee standing up and taking charge. Mark Harmon. Winners all the way around — congrats to the cast and crew of NCIS. You’ve done it again!

33. andrea says:

This was an excellent two parter and brilliant acting by all involved. Like others, I feel like Ilan may be a convenient villian for the killings. Can’t wait for the next new episode. Oh yeah, I too am a Tiva worshipper and loved Tony and Ziva’s interactions. It is clear they care deeply for each other, much more than just co-workers.

34. DB says:

I think Ducky’s snappy comment about Ilan’s grandmother deserves a shout-out.

35. tvdiva says:

Matt – you are doing a great job with recaps. Thanks for the Hebrew translation and for naming the song and the singer. Little touches like this are not only helpful, but make recaps stand out even more.

36. Bet your ass it does, DB, word.

37. Sheldon W. says:

Something that goes unremarked in your recap – the nods between Craig and Gibbs at the end. Craig has earned Gibbs’ respect.

It’s a nice little moment that gets lost in the shuffle, but I think it’ll be important down the road (NCIS always does that…).

38. Jessica says:

If it is Bodner he’s not working alone. How did he know how to contact Ziva? I have a gut feeling that her confidant Shmiel is involved. The time that Tony was watching through his window for him. The fact that he was not a fan of Eli. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he’s the head of it all and Bodner is the scapegoat. Should be interesting.
    I am a huge fan of Oded Fehr. He’s great to watch!

39. MWK says:

Ah, a sad episode with little resolution. Loved Tony this was HIS episode. Assit Director will be okay and step up at some critical moment or other in the future. Unlike Gibbs’ revenge of his wife’s murder, Vance has the entire freaking world of agencies going after Bodmer. I really think Bodmer is a weak enemy and too obvious. It may yet be that he was working under orders with someone who wants him to be director of Mossad; maybe the arms dealer does business with him if Eli David refused. And what about all this “out of control” Mossad bashing these days. No Obama ben Laden to hate and now it’s Mossad. How nice one Iranian was for peace and acknowledged that a Jew has a place in the Mideast, as opposed to a huge hierarchical government who would like to wipe Jews and Israel off the map.

The team was magnificent – really great on everyone’s part. Ducky is the MAN! McGee is also the MAN! The best of NCIS is when there is that touch of humor in the sad episodes and the touch of tragedy in the funny ones.

40. AngelMoon Girl says:

It was such a beautiful episode. One of my favorites. Especially loved Tony being Ziva’s rock :D Their hug at the end was very sweet! I hope they become a couple this year!

• Harrison says:

Tony and Ziva are not going to be a couple. The relationship is similar to Mulder and Scully who only became a couple at the end of the series. So let’s hope they don’t get together. It’s part of the character profiles.

41. Rouleau says:

As Ziva walked to the airplane and the camera looked back at Tony, did he actually whisper something?

42. Ziva says:

They should reunite Tali and ziva. Ziva thinks her sister is dead but she might be alive it would be cute

43. Raquel Leal says:

Não sei o que escrever,pois fico muito entusiasmada em falar da série NCIS,que é a paixão da nossa casa atualmente.Eu e meu marido somos apaixonadíssimos por eles.Pena que não sei o inglês,mas quero deixar registrado o nosso AMOR pela série.Agora tenho uma grande paixão:conhecer todos eles(Gibbs,Dinozo,Ziva,Palmer,Mag,Dr. Melodi,Etc…),é claro que não é delírio,os atores reais.Beijos para todos eles e parabenizo o autor da série.(raquellealsaize@yahoo.com.br).É do BRASIL.

44. Berlinda S. Hood says:

Every time I watch this scene I am deeply touched. I love NCIS, the best show on tv. I hate Ziva wil not be in the new season. I WANT HER BACK!!! This “team” work! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!! Let’s start a campaign, “WE WANT ZIVA BACK”!!! Holla if you hear me.

45. Neil Chandler says:

NCIS has to be the best ever USA produced TV series. Always thought before that J.A.G could never be beaten. I was so wrong. From the script writing to production team and all the cast thank-you for a wonderful show. We are are a series behind here in the UK but the wait is so worth while. Can’t wait now to see what happens when Ziva returns. Most of the world already knows but I will find out soon. Thanks to all involved in the making of N.C.I.S.