Walking Dead Scoop: Scott Gimple Poised to Replace Glen Mazzara as New Showrunner

imageWalking Dead supervising producer Scott Gimple is nearing a deal to succeed Glen Mazzara as the AMC hit’s new showrunner, TVLine has learned.

Gimple, whose previous writing credits include NBC’s Chase and ABC’s FlashForward, joined Walking Dead as a producer in Season 2 and was promoted to supervising producer for the current third season. He has penned five Dead episodes, including this season’s “Hounded.”

RELATED | Check Out Walking Dead‘s Eye-Catching New Midseason Poster

His new appointment takes effect at the start of the just-ordered fourth season.

In December, AMC (which declined to comment for this story) announced that Mazzara was stepping down at the end of Season 3 over creative differences.

It was the second major behind-the-scenes shake-up to rock Walking Dead during its relatively short, phenomenally successful life. Early into the show’s second season, Frank Darabont was fired as showrunner. His exit was also the result of creative differences.

Walking Dead is set to return with the second half of Season 3 on Sunday, February 10.

1. Kaye says:

Is AMC bound and determined to destroy this show?! They are coming on one of the most successful season on a cable television show of all time and they want to fire the guy that took it there. Unbelievable!!

• Stranger says:

So, basically, the new show runners credits are the two “hit shows” that got cancelled before the end of the first season. And I’m supposed to feel glad about this, how?

• Matt says:

It’s my understanding that the creative differences are between the showrunners and Robert Kirkman, not AMC and the showrunners.

• Jon says:

Not likely, considering Vince Gilligan and Matt Weiner have both had extensive differences with AMC over the years as well. Clearly they have no idea how to properly work with their showrunners.

2. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

This show changes showrunners like most people change clothes. It’s getting a bit ridiculous considering the outstanding ratings. The excuses is always creative differences with God knows who. Obviously the “showrunner” isn’t running much of anything since they keep quitting or getting fired.

3. But who will replace him in Season 5?

4. wrstlgirl says:

Great news, I’m sure he will do well. Looking forward to seeing more of his work.

• n8ball78 says:

Thanks for actually leaving a positive comment. Everyone is so negative about everything. I hope this works out for him and yeah its a shame glen mazzara left but fans should support the show until it proves to be a miistake.

• Dee-Kay-Tee says:

THIS!!!

Stop being so negative, its a good show. It continued to be a good show after the first showrunner left, it will probably continue to be a good show into season 4. Start complaining when its no longer a good show.

5. Well he wrote for Chase which is like one of my favorite shows so I hope he can do TWD justice. I don’t wanna see that one go down hill.

6. Jason says:

Scott looks horrible in this picture.

7. Superhero says:

So they went from a guy who wrote for The Shield – one of the greatest television dramas of all time – to a guy who wrote for Chase and Flashfoward. What could possibly go wrong?

So let’s recap, shall we? Mad Men and Breaking Bad are ending soon. The Killing and Hell on Wheels are disappointments. The Walking Dead will likely run itself into the ground before too long, only for them to milk every little inch of milk out of it that they possibly can. And they’ve put every single writer on notice that their services aren’t really valued. Given these circumstances, any bets on how long it will take before AMC is the laughingstock of all of television?

• notsodead says:

You’re an idiot. Showrunners are important but are mere pawns in the scheme of things. The show is successful for a lot of reasons, one of which is that it has a really good story line. If you ever read The Walking Dead comics you’ll know what I’m talking about.

8. Mike says:

He wrote a good amount of TWD episodes, including Save the last one, which was a highlight if the underwhelming first half if season 2, so I’m cautiously optimistic, I’m confidant TWD will still be good, I just don’t know if it will still be the best show on Sunday nights.

9. It’s Kirkman causing the problems with his hissy fits. The guy is an obvious DOUCHE, anyone who has watched the show or read the comics can tell he’s nothing more than a basement dwelling woman hater who’s never touched a boob but he has creative control because its his comic & AMC is kissing his ass because they dont want to lose the show.

10. jonathon says:

considering Flash Forward was a great written show and this guy has wrote episodes for Walking dead already, there doesn’t seem to be any need to panic on this. Hell on Wheels is a great show too but very underrated, needs more people to actually start watching it. But yeah, cannot wait for this show to return!

• Wrstlgirl says:

Finally! Someone with something positive to say! And I completely agree with you about HOW too.

• n8ball78 says:

I agree. But you know people will still complain about it because its all they do. I’m sure the show will still be one of the best shows on all ov television. Everyone wants to blame amc without looking at kirkman.

11. Teag says:

I have faith in Scott Gimple. Hopefully he stays on for at least 2 seasons.

12. jsterling93 says:

I will never understand how Flash Forward did so poorly. That show was amazing. I am willing to go along for the ride because I do love TWD and I think this guy is pretty talented.

• TV fan says:

Flash Forward ruined it for me: what’s the point of an agent who sees her pregnancy if not to figure out how does that pregnancy happens, but noooooo the show made her a lesbian therefore narrow the suspense to when does she gets the appointment with a Doctor. That’s what they did, to ruin the premise of every flashforward in a way I lost any interest to find out why didthat guy died, the leading couple got divorced or the autistic child knew everything.

13. Whatever says:

I don’t care if the problem is with Kirkman and the showrunners OR AMC and the Showrunners, AMC and the Producers they better get their sh*t together !
    You can’t burn through successful showrunners like toilet paper and expect continuity and high ratings.
    And if Kirkman is the cause maybe his head is getting too big and he should stop interfering with the showrunners.
    Kirkman is NOT a showrunner and does not know how to be one.
    He’s a writer.
    Get it together AMC before you destroy the highest rated show on your network you bunch of aholes.

14. so they let go the show runner who gave them the best ratings for their network?! omg kirkman seems like the biggest pain in the a** ever! he must be impossible to work with. he’s ruining everything.

15. Lee says:

So now two showrunners have been fired for wanting to kill off someone AMC and its advertisers thought was too popular? My guess is Norman Reedus, he’s the one all the female viewers (my girlfriend at least) are obsessed with.

• tripoli says:

Plenty of male viewers are obsessed with that character too. He’s a bad ass. Don’t need to be a woman to get his awesomeness.

16. Glen says:

I actually think it’s the opposite. Kirkman loves killing off beloved characters for shock value (as he does in the comics). An experienced TV vet like Mazzara knows the value of a beloved character and how it adds to a show’s popularity. Mark my words, Norman Reedus does NOT survive season 4, and the reason is Kirkman thinks he can get a shock out of it, and replace him with a new character the audience will love equally.

Easier said than done. He’s going to learn that maintaining the 100,000 comic fanboys that read his comic (with really silly and melodramatic dialogue), is a lot easier than maintaining the 10 million that watch the show.

Frank Darabont elevated a page-turning but pretty arch comic book into high art, and Glen Mazzara used the skills he developed on THE SHIELD to give it a constant urgency.

Good luck topping season 3, Gimple. You’re going to need it.

17. nick101 says:

i just need the new series to start on a timely fashion. that’s all i need. muri101

18. Shawna says:

All I know is I want the show to go on. I want the show to keep living up to it’s integrity. The show is great let it stay great for many more seasons. TWD 4-EVER!!!

19. matte says:

Everyone get your facts straight. Mazzara quit!!! He didn’t get fired. It was said that he wanted to go out on top! Kirkman is the man!! Read the comics. That’s what the show is bases on. You can’t just kill off main people it would change the whole story. Daryl and merel are not even in the comics so they might get killed off. Kirkman doesn’t want the show the same as the comic, but it can’t change to much from it. Read interviews, articles, watch walking dead news. Your all wrong. Get your facts before you complain!!

20. afi says:

merci from iran of asia

21. b b b b b mooooney says:

Let’s just see where it goes. I don’t think they’ll intentionally screw the show. I’m pretty sure AMC execs will be watching closely. But on the other hand who knows, I’ve seen pretty good shows get canned after many seasons because they get greedy and want to cut corners. My only suggestion would be play on the zombie feeling a bit more. I know it’s not about the zombies really but feeling during season 1 and both webisodes actually set the mood for me. Also stop cheesing on the special effects. That sh*t was real in season 1. Now it seems like all kills are purely CGI