Did The CW's Carrie Diaries Sweep You Off Your Manolo Blahniks?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

PilotWe couldn’t help but wonder: Could The Carrie Diaries — The CW’s new series about a pre-fancy shoes, pre-Mr. Big teenage Carrie Bradshaw growing up in the ’80s — win over loyal Sex and the City fans and newbies alike?

RELATED | Carrie Diaries: Samantha, Miranda, Charlotte to Appear! Plus – Sarah Jessica Parker Weighs In

Before you respond to that question, a brief refresher of Monday night’s premiere: Based on Candace Bushnell’s novels about the future Manhattanite’s adolescent years, The Carrie Diaries is not a prequel to the HBO series, so there are some notable changes to the brief backstory glimpsed on SatC.

The year is 1984, and this Carrie (Soul Surfer‘s AnnaSophia Robb in a charming, breakout performance) has recently lost her mom; the teen lives with her younger sister (Running Wilde‘s Stefania Owen) and loving father (Scandal’s Matt Letscher) in suburban Connecticut.

She has a trio of friends, including geeky Mouse (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World‘s Ellen Wong), who recently lost her virginity; and the confident Maggie (The Killing‘s Katie Findlay), who’s secretly hooking up with an older police officer; making Carrie the lone virgin among her female pals. (Maggie’s closeted boyfriend Walt (newcomer Brendan Dooling) rounds out the group.) Then there’s the new kid — cool, mysterious transfer student Sebastian (Switched at Birth‘s Austin Butler), who just so happens to have a history with Carrie.

RELATED | CW Boss Talks Wonder Woman, Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Supernatural Renewal and More!

But the allure of Manhattan proves even more exciting for our heroine than the cute boy at school. To help his daughter get over her grief, Carrie’s dad arranges an internship for her at a law firm in the city. She quickly meets Larissa (Doctor Who‘s Freema Agyeman), a style editor for Interview magazine who draws young Ms. Bradshaw into a world of glamour, art and parties where everyone is free to be “distinctly themselves in a city that celebrated them,” Carrie’s voiceover marvels.

And that’s where Carrie Diaries provides a refreshing twist on the average teen soap. Rather than just being about the hunt for a boyfriend, it’s about “searching for me,” Carrie remarks. “Who I was. Who I wanted to be.”

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give The Carrie Diaries, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

Comments (93)

• sooooo much better than I anticipated! Will tune in again…

Comment by megan – January 14, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Oh my god, I screamed at that last shot of Carrie sitting in front of her window starting to write….really feels like SHE is back in our lives!!!

Comment by Crazyheart – January 14, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The promos did this show NO justice whatsoever. It is a thousand times better than what it looked like it was going to be.

Comment by Joline – January 14, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was cute and it did capture the spirit and mood of Sex And The City. It was smartly written, which I was hoping for. It reminded me of the time before the movies, when it was okay for heterosexual men to watch it! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 15, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I went into this expecting to hate it and came out completely the opposite. Its witty and its awesome. I just wish it wasn’t connected to Sex and the City and instead a stand a lone show but it will always have that link. Looking forward to more. Give it an A-. This could be CW’s next big thing.

Comment by greysfan – January 15, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY AGREE………..62 YR OLD SEX/CITY FAN. Very believable as Carrie’s beginning of NY life. Already DVR’d for the series season. Also loved Jane By Design which was cancelled.

Comment by jackie2830 – January 16, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish the CW was available on demand unfortunately other shows take precedent on my DVR such as Bones

Comment by Whitewlf – January 14, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know the CW is available on demand for comcast. just search for tv shows then by network and it should be the first or second page.

Comment by Billy W – January 14, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have Time Warner and it’s not on demand either. Just on demand Bones then!

Comment by jackie2830 – January 16, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW is now available on Xfinity. It only happened within the last month or so. If you don’t get it on demand you can watch it on the internet the next day.

Comment by Love CW – January 14, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In addition to live TV, CW shows are available on Hulu, CWTV.com, Amazon instant video and iTunes. None of those options are available to you?

Comment by JC – January 14, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hulu typically makes you wait a week for CW shows

Comment by Goldie – January 15, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I watched it on hulu plus today:)

Comment by steph – January 15, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, the horror(!) of waiting an ENTIRE WEEK to watch a TV show! #FirstWorldProblems

Comment by JC – January 15, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you can watch it online. i use the CW app on my ipad sometimes when my DVR is acting up and it works great!

Comment by Elyse – January 15, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unless you’re in Canada, you can watch it on the City Tv ap or website!

Comment by Jo – January 15, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • download the CW app! plays full episodes.

Comment by amy a – January 16, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in ….because I was bored and nothing was on tv ….and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The lead girl was a great casting choice. I also like how this show takes place in the 80′s …it’s refreshing.

I’m not going to call it a homerun yet, but I’ll definitely be tuning in next week.

Comment by jess – January 14, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they continue with the 80s tunes. I don’t even care if they’re year appropriate.

Comment by soundscene – January 15, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was, honestly, sooooooooo much better than what I was expecting. good start.

Comment by J – January 14, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That hot dog in a key hole bit was more repulsive than witty. They could have come up with a clever analogy.

Comment by AB – January 14, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SATC didn’t always shy away from vulgarity, so I’m not sure that the analogy was all that problematic.

Comment by Michael – January 15, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was expecting shallow and silly (and yes, I was an SATC fangirl, but IMO Carrie turned into a shrill, selfish harpy by the end), but I am now noshing on my words. It was very, very good! It has a lot of heart, I liked all the actors, and if it keeps up this level of quality, I’ll be watching every week.

Comment by lindashelley2012 – January 14, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocked by all the praise so far. Will have to watch it.

Comment by Mark – January 14, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Was expecting a bunch of “meh”s but people are responding in surprising ways. I will have to check out the premiere when CW puts it up on their website.

Comment by Brooke – January 15, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so in love with it 20 minutes in. I really needed this show in my life.

Comment by Amanda – January 14, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this is not the show for me, but I am a fan of Robb, so I’m happy to hear people like it.

Comment by Mike – January 14, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to skip this all together, but I’m impressed by all the praise. I’ll have to get it in iTunes later.

Comment by Rrrrrr – January 14, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t really have much expectation for this but I really loved it. I can’t wait to see more!!

Comment by kate – January 14, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The supporting cast needs A LOT of work. I didn’t really care about any of them, except maybe the Sebatian guy from her school. Otherwise, I was shocked at how much I liked the girl playing Carrie. She did a great job and was very believable. Never thought I would say this, but the show definitely has potential….

Comment by Joline – January 14, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree! her friends and fam didn’t impress me so much either…

Comment by geeeee – January 15, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow i didn’t watch it but based on these comments I think I’ll check it out during the week. Sounds like it was a good

Comment by Patricia – January 14, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annasophia Robb is winsome. She made Carrie a heroine the audience can root for. It was a good start.

Comment by Emanda – January 14, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not think I would have liked The Carrie Diaries considering I wasn’t really a big fan of SATC but I have to admit that it was a solid pilot. From the music..clothes and the overall story I’ll definitely start watching this.

Comment by Jared – January 14, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely a great start. I wasn’t expecting much from it but it’s super cute. Started off slow and a bit weird but you could definitely hear Carrie’s voice coming through by the end. Will be tuning in next week!

Comment by Joe – January 14, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it. I like that its about Carrie finding who she is, and not so boyfriend focused. Romance has a place, but it doesn’t seem to be the driving force and I find that really refreshing.
    Plus the fashion is AWESOME. And having Freema back on tv is the best!
    I’ll be sticking around for sure

Comment by mia – January 14, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too loved seeing Freema again! Although, would this prevent Martha Jones from reappearing for Who’s 50th anniversary should the opportunity come?

Comment by Sarah – January 15, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh goodness I hope not! I really want her in the 50th. And Billie and Barrowman!!

Comment by mia – January 15, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Billy Piper has already said she’s not a part of the 50th anniversary, as they never asked her. There are rumors that they are casting a younger Captain Jack because John Barrowman can’t be a part of the episode because of Arrow…

Comment by erik – January 15, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since I’m a huge SATC fan, I wasn’t even going to watch it. But after reading some comments here, I think I’ll give it a try.

Comment by Vivian – January 14, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaSophia Robb shined as Carrie Bradshaw. She not only managed to make the character her own but stayed true to the character on SATC. Pleasantly surprised with this one. The previews did this show absolutely no justice. I’ll definitely keep watching.

Comment by Jared – January 14, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When she sat down to write and did her hair up, I had a very SATC moment. I LOVE THE MUSIC!!

Comment by Steve Z – January 14, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Liked the show.Will be watching weekly.AnnaSpohia was great as Carrie.

Comment by Brandy – January 14, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an enjoyable hour.

Comment by Mick – January 14, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it should definitely do well, its a perfect fit for the CW network. i can see it getting a stable 0.7 – 0.8 demo throughout its run which is good for CW.

Comment by anil – January 14, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Sophia Robb is so likable in this role.

Comment by Amelia – January 14, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already have WAY too much tv to watch and 2 other shows were DVR’ing, so I skipped it…. but based on what folks are saying above I might have to watch it online.

Comment by Kristoffer – January 14, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I seriously don’t know what I’m going to do Monday nights. Already have HIMYM and the Bachelor on the DVR. Then DWTS starts in March! Ugh….too many good shows is a good problem to have. (I know the Bachelor is trashy but I still love it!)

Comment by Joline – January 14, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With Hulu Plus you can stream CW dramas to your TV the morning after they air.

Comment by Wacky Deli – January 15, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really? Didn’t know that….thanks!

Comment by Joline – January 15, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaSophia is absolutely perfect for this role. It pays homage to the real show in many ways: the love of the city, new experiences, supporting friends, self-discovery, and fashion. Young Carrie has a perfect amount of innocence, anything can happen, world at her fingertips type of appeal, and I can imagine that this is just what Carrie Bradshaw was like on the brink of womanhood.

I love her father, but the rest of the supporting characters were a bit bland. However, this show isn’t necessarily about them, so it makes sense that the pilot focuses on getting to know Carrie.

Comment by Kayla – January 14, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while I like the actress, I was bored and turned off.

Comment by guest – January 14, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it. I loved all of the music and it just really made you feel “good” by the end. I thought that AnnaSophia Robb did a great job; she was very relatable and charming.

Comment by Fabian – January 14, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this show meant to be for 10year olds? So boring and lame! The only good thing: Austin Butler. He can’t save this confused snorefest.

Comment by CW Fan – January 14, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the show still worth checking out for people who never watched and no nothing about Sex and the City?

Comment by Billy Bob – January 14, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First – you should go out immediately and watch SATC because it will change your life. Second – if you decide not to do that, then I still think you will like this show if you like 80′s movies and coming of age stories with a certain amount of innocence (not cynical or controversial like some of the other teen based shows…)

Comment by Joline – January 14, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think so, Billy Bob. You’d get a couple of the little in-jokes if you’d watched it, but nothing that would take away your enjoyment of the movie. I think it stands on its own.

Comment by Linda F – January 15, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t watch SaTC and I loved it. Honestly, given this is on The CW and their target audience is a bit younger, I’m sure the show expected a lot of viewers that hadn’t seen SaTC because they were too young when it aired.

Comment by soundscene – January 15, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but I recorded it and found out that I did like it. I was impressed! So it is worth watching more episodes of this much hyped prequel. I always wondered why Carrie on the SATC never talked talked about her family. It is good to get a glimpse of what Carrie was like in the 80s.

Comment by Allyson – January 14, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shockingly impressed

Comment by Patrick – January 14, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow…. this is not my type of show but i don’t remember the last time a pilot generated such a positive and unanimous reaction. maybe it will actually hit for the cw

Comment by omabin – January 15, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t normally watch CW shows (haven’t committed to anything since ‘Jack & Bobby’ when it was just The WB…. if you don’t count the 90210 cameos when they did that), but tuned in because I’m curious about due to the SATC link.

I’m not sold on it yet because this can easily slip into something horrid. The supporting cast needs a lot of work (particular the sister… Oy, what a miscast there), but this show is anchored well by AnnaSophia Robb. She’s selling it. Reminding me a bit of Sarah Jessica Parker’s Carrie portrayal but at the same time adding her own spin on things.

I’m tuning in next week to where things go before committing, but consider me one of the many who are pleasantly surprised by what they saw tonight.

Comment by Hipper – January 15, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. I’ll echo the “not really my kind of show” sentiment that others have said, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ll give it another shot next week.

Comment by Tom – January 15, 2013 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also have a question about this show. The young Carrie in NYC parts of the pilot were much more interesting than the high school parts. Are they going to quickly move the story line to AnnaSophia Robb’s actual age and focus Carrie on her own? If this show becomes another trials and tribulations of a high school kid kind of show it could get tired very quickly.

Comment by Tom – January 15, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Feels a bit like ‘Jane by Design’ just set in the 80s

Comment by Ronald – January 15, 2013 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it, and I was not a regular viewer of the original SATC. You’re right, AnnaSophia just steals the screen, and the 80s soundtrack is cool, too. Austin Butler never ages, and he’s an ideal HS hottie. Another breakout hit for The CW. That’s 3 already this season (the first after Ms. Ostroff was committed to the Ostroff Center), if anyone’s counting. Cult looks awesome, too.

Comment by Jason – January 15, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! austin butler is just beautiful. annasophia is AMAZING! the whole 80s vibe … i love it all! the episode was a little bit predictable, but maybe thats because i am 17, and can call a lot of these situations…. if i only i could escape to manhatten like carrie <3

Comment by Shauna – January 15, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was great–better than the average teen show from this pilot. Carrie was charming rather than cloying, which I worried about before I watched. I wasn’t a SaTC viewer–I’ve only seen parts of episodes and the first movie–so I have no comment on the differences or strengths of one versus the other. Really, The Carrie Diaries should be taken on its own, especially since the author obviously means it to be.

Comment by soundscene – January 15, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t get my hopes up too high. Remember that show called Gossip Girl? It began fantastically and then it turned into a complete snooze-fest. With Stephanie Savage also in charge of this one she’ll ruin it just as fast.

Comment by martina – January 15, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, Gossip Girl took a couple years to turn into a snoozefest. There were quite a bit of good episodes. Besides, this show doesn’t really have much in common with Gossip Girl.

Comment by soundscene – January 15, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Sex and the City with all my heart, but for some reason, I decided to give this show a chance and I was charmed almost from the beginning. I hope they can keep up the magic that was the pilot.

Comment by Rich – January 15, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to know who was covering “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” at the end, the mellow version before Cyndi took over & pumped it up! Any clues?

Comment by Name(less) – January 15, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was Greg Laswell’s cover.

Comment by Vlada Gelman – January 15, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fantastic! Found it on Spotify, thanks so much.

Comment by Name(less) – January 15, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still absolutely ZERO interest in this, even with all the compliments.

Comment by Ruby – January 15, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for letting us know.

Comment by Joline – January 15, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say, I had absolutely no interest in watching it til everyone on the interwebs seemed to be lavishing praise on it. It was decent, even very good for the last little bit. I’ll keep watching for now, and hopefully it doesn’t plummet in quality or takes a trip to crazytown with painfully forced drama as many decent-starting shows eventually do.

Personally I liked SATC but this is a completely different show. Anyone that didn’t like or didn’t watch the show would have no problems because of that.

Comment by Tee – January 15, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, cause there was never any painfully forced drama on SATC…

Comment by Eli – January 15, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really surprised by the show… not a big fan of Sex and the City, but i tuned in cause there was nothing else to watch last night. Really well written and acted. Was really nice to see Freema on my tv again, in a role that is SO far from Martha Jones. Will definitely be watching the show in the future.

Comment by erik – January 15, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the music, especially the songs from SJP’s teen movies.

Comment by Betty – January 15, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t help but wonder: Doesn’t the green mommy dress look a little bit like the dress in the first sex and the city movie, where Carrie & Big find their real estate heaven??

Comment by jenny – January 15, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it! Really impressed!! I hope it stays as good as it is..oh how i miss SATC!! would be so cool to meet a young samantha!! And yes i do think that dress looked like the dress from the movie!

Comment by katrina s. – January 15, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll have to watch based on everyone’s feedback. Hmm could this be aired the same night along with my fave Hart of Dixie?

Comment by adlib19 – January 15, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freema shows i go. Despise her

Comment by intelliwoman – January 15, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the music but i don’t think it felt like the 80`s. It felt like modern day. There needs to be a lot more outgoing Carrie then we saw last night. She is a bit too timid to be the Carrie Bradshaw we know and love.

Comment by lee matters – January 15, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post