Cable Ratings: Showtime's Sunday Trio Hit Highs, Girls Steady, Plus Enlightened and Banshee

Ratings: Shameless Season 3 PremiereShowtime’s assorted bad boys and girls were in good company on Sunday night, as Shameless, House of Lies and Californication all hit all-time highs with their season premieres.

Meanwhile on HBO, Girls was steady in its return and Enlightened saw a boost in its new time slot.

RELATED | Network Ratings: Globes Hit Six-Year High, Good Wife Eyes Uptick, ABC Dramas Down

Shameless opened Season 3 with 2 million total viewers tuned into its 9 pm airing, up 26 percent from the show’s Season 2 premiere and up 37 percent from its sophomore finale. Across multiple airings, Shameless amassed 2.6 million total viewers.

The House of Lies Season 2 premiere drew 1.2 million total viewers, up 15 and 53 percent from its freshman opener and finale, respectively. For the night, HoL amassed 1.54 mil.

Californication closed out Showtime’s night with an initial audience of 1.1 mil, up some 40 percent from both its Season 5 premiere and finale. Encore airings added another 200K.

RELATED | Girls Season 2 Premiere Recap: Bedpan’s Labyrinth

HBO’s Girls returned to a 9 pm audience of 866,000 total viewers, on par with the Season 1 premiere’s 872K. Across three airings, the comedy totaled 1.6 mil, up 42 percent from the freshman opener’s two airings.

Enlightened led out of that with an initial audience of 610,000, up 43 percent from its Season 1 premiere (which aired on a Monday).

RELATED | Golden Globes 2013: Homeland, Girls and Game Change Win Big

Lastly, the series debut of Cinemax’s Banshee on Friday night drew 483,000 total viewers, the channel’s best numbers for an original series telecast since the Strike Back series launch in August 2011. For the night, Banshee amassed 1 million across three airings.

1. James says:

Banshee was mediocre. Will give it a couple more episodes.

2. meem says:

It amazes me that a show that doesn’t even get 2 million viewers in a country of 300 million people gets so darn much attention, and is portrayed as such a huge hit. I’m talking, of course, of GIRLS, which not that many people actually watch, clearly.

3. Joe says:

I think Girls should get a nice boost after the Globes wins. It was always a niche show with not a lot of broad appeal.

4. Alex says:

So happy about Shameless. Best show Showtime has besides Homeland and Dexter.

5. @meem, live viewership doesn’t matter to HBO. They’re not ad supported. So, if the cumulative viewership is 4 million over a week, HBO doesn’t care if people watched it live, OnDemand/ DVR. A lot of the younger viewers watch it

6. Rusty Morgan says:

Of course, all those Showtime numbers were buoyed by the fact Showtime was on a free preview, exposing them to millions of people that wouldn’t otherwise be able to see them. Maybe some of those will subscribe and carry over, but I expect there to be a big drop off next week.

• splusm says:

HBO had a few preview weekend too.

• splusm says:

and what is more impressive is that Showtime has much fewer subscribers than HBO, and still beat-down Girls head-to-head.

• Taylor says:

Wrong. I’m not sure why TVLine didn’t mention it when almost every other website did, but Showtime only counted subscribers in these numbers. Anyone who watched via the free preview was NOT included in the ratings.

7. @meemlive after the initial airing.

8. Mari says:

Happy for House of Lies. Really clever show.

9. It should also be noted the first season of Girls aired after Game of Thrones with it’s mega ratings.

10. James says:

I’m so happy that mediocre trash Girls is a flop.

• Dave says:

You don’t seem to understand what makes a flop. The show gets a lot of buzz and does not need to be supported with commercial breaks, so HBO is happy with it. Your taste is also pretty poor.

• NevadaUte says:

Exactly. Not every show has to appeal to everyone. Otherwise we would have a world full of 2 1/2 Men and NCIS. Girls is very good at what it does and who it appeals to. It’s not necessarily my cup of tea, but it those who like it are passionate about it and premium cable network shows don’t have to appeal to the masses to be a success, especially if they drive a demographic to subscribe to HBO that wouldn’t otherwise subscribe to the network.

11. King says:

Shameless was TOO violent and brutal last night. Ugh!

12. Disappointed says:

Banshee is clearly aimed at 20-something males who can’t get a date on Friday night. Typical Cinemax fare, no brain activity required, goes well with the beer. Solidly made, but utterly and painfully unwatchable if your TV viewing means more to you than just killing time.

13. Susie says:

Giving Banshee a couple more episodes before I make up my mind. Most of the time the 1st episode doesn’t draw you to it until maybe 4 or5 eps in. Kinda like Chicago Fire did for me.

14. emma says:

just good news. good news for my ears… go Shameless, House of Lies, Girls and Banshee.

15. Patricia says:

I loved Banshee it was really fun, so much happened in one hour. That and Strike Back not a bad combo for Cinemax

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

Sounds like a lot of people were watching TV last night. I wonder if the extremely cold weather in the West had anything to do with keeping so many people indoors. And it was extremely cold. -8 degrees as the low last night where I am at. I will very happily sit home and watch TV when the weather is that way.
    I get why some people wouldn’t like Girls, and I get that more people seem to dislike it then like it, but I don’t understand why those that hate it are so vocal on comment boards about hating it. I am guessing most of these people have not seen more than one episode or maybe some are just going off what they’ve heard about it. You can’t really trash a show until you’ve seen every episode and know it inside out. Like me with Glee. And c’mon, it’s not like the existence of Lena Dunham and Girls is ruining your life or anything. You don’t have to watch it. You can just ignore it. Isn’t trashing it on websites just a waste of your time and emotion? Why try so hard to make people who like it feel inferior just because they get the point of the show?

17. Lia says:

I really liked Banshee, will keep tuning in!

18. Mandha says:

Laura Dern in Enlightened is the greatest performance by an actress on tv. I can’t believe she doesn’t get the attention Lena gets.