Continuum Star Rachel Nichols Talks Time Trippiness, Her Spacesuit's Not-So-Sexy Side

Continuum SpoilersTonight at 8/7c, Syfy transports Continuum to the States.

The sci-fi drama — which already aired its freshman run in Canada — stars Rachel Nichols (Alias) as Kiera Cameron, a “Protector” from the year 2077 who, through a whirlwind chain of events, travels with a band of terrorists to Vancouver circa 2012. There, she struggles to a find a way back to when she belongs, all while trying to nip in the bud a future threat to humanity.

TVLine invited Nichols to prep U.S. viewers for her time-trippy venture, which has already been renewed for Season 2 (to air simultaneously up north and here).

RELATED | What’s New on TV? Your Guide to Continuum, The Following, The Americans and 15 Other Shows

TVLINE | You’ve got a season of Continuum behind you, since it already aired in Canada. What’s the best way you’ve heard it described? Like, “Back to the Future meets 12 Monkeys” or…?
That’s actually a really good question. People ask me and I always say, “OK. I’m going to start with the short version and then I can get into the longer version.” But the short version is I’m a cop from the future fighting criminals from the future in the present day. And then you go into the details about the execution and how they assembled a time-travel device while they were there and I try to intercept it and I get taken back in time with them… and that always leads to more questions which leads to more questions which leads to more questions. That’s the good thing about the show, because it does make you ask so many questions. And it’s very relevant as well.

TVLINE | What is Kiera’s first order of business once she realizes when she is?
Getting home. Through various mechanisms and apparati and people, I realize where I am and my first mission is to get home to my husband and my son. Then, once the first attempt is foiled, I quickly sort of realize that my second order of business is: “If I’m here, I hope that I’m here for a reason.”

TVLINE | Talk about the “relationship” Kiera comes to have with Alec (Jericho‘s Erik Knudsen), the “guy in her ear”….
In the year 2077, the government is run by corporations — even more blatantly than today, if you want to take it into the social commentary zone – and even law enforcement officials are run by “tech,” by special sort of electronic devices. And the man who created all of this tech, Alec Sadler, basically runs the free world in 2077. When I accidentally travel back in time, I of course take the tech with me to 2012, where it’s on an experimental frequency that’s run by a 17-year-old Alec. He’s sort of my “eyes and ears,” and the only one who really knows the whole truth about everything.

TVLINE | That’s kind of tricky for her then, because she needs to work with this person whose destiny she is completely aware of.
One of the really interesting things for Alec, and Kiera as well, is, as the season progresses, he starts wondering, “Do I turn into a good guy or a bad guy?” — and she can’t tell him because of the Back to the Future thinking, that if you touch something now in the past, is it going to mess up the future?
Continuum - Season 1

TVLINE | Almost straight away, Kiera embeds herself within the Vancouver Police Department. Is it going to be a recurring thing where she worries that her cover will be blown?
Absolutely. Another very interesting mechanism about the show is that she’s had to integrate herself into this society, into 2012 Vancouver, into the Vancouver Police Department…. She’s had to make friends and, like I said, worm her way in so she can battle this group from the future that nobody has ever heard of in the present day. [Police detective] Carlos (Castle‘s Victor Webster) is her friend in the present day and doesn’t know the whole story, so there is that guilt factor that comes in once they become close and she’s lying to him every day. That becomes very difficult morally, and it becomes very suspect in the season finale.

TVLINE | I assume things will get a little flirty between the two of them…?
You know, I think they’re going to avoid that. Of course I’ve got my husband and my son back home, but also as the season progresses you understand a couple of things about her life in the future…. If Kiera going to have a romance, I can guarantee you it will not be with Carlos.

TVLINE | Out of everything you got to “play” with in the first season, what was your favorite piece of tech?
Oh my gosh…. That’s another super-cool thing. I love all of the tech, but there’s that “multi-tool” that I come back with that will do anything. Going invisible is pretty awesome, too, when I have the suit on, but that multi-tool can pretty much solve any problem I ever need to. I always joke, “I could make Carlos pregnant if I wanted to with that multi-tool, it’s so small and compact.” I wish I had one of those in real life.

RELATED | Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres and Finales Calendar

TVLINE | The uniform Kiera wears in 2077: Having been in and out of it for a season now, what are the pros and cons?
On Twitter, everybody always says, “Oh, that’s suit’s so sexy,” and I always say, “Yes” — when I am zipped in it and sewed into it and pushed up and pulled out and tucked in, it is hot. It is sexy. Getting me into and out of that suit? Not so sexy. Also, the copper one is a two-piece suit, so there’s this huge sort of granny band sort of stretchy… It’s an elastic-waistband pant, actually. And I say to people, “And when it’s cold, that suit is freezing — it doesn’t retain any heat. And when it’s hot, you sweat to death.” “Form before function” as far as I’m concerned. As long as it looks good, I will tough it through!

Want more scoop on Continuum, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (32)

• I like the show very much, when will season 2 start?

Comment by Christa – January 14, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure of exact dates but it aired last summer in Canada so I would guess the same for this year.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – January 14, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe Rachel told me that Season 2 will premiere as soon a Season 1 finales here in the States. (Though I may be mistaken.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – January 14, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Filming for Season 2 starts later this month

Comment by Deej – January 14, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Showcase has it listed as coming back in the spring on their website. Coincidentally, I just looked this up earlier today. I’m assuming it will be after Lost Girl finishes if they keep Continuum on Sunday nights like it was last summer.

Comment by Jen – January 14, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a fantastic show!! Enjoy this season knowing that it’s already been renewed for another season!!

Comment by Linda – January 14, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is excellent! Smart and well made, great actors etc. All the future stuff plays a minor role, so don’t worry too much about that if that’s not your thing. Everybody just watch it!

Comment by Annika – January 14, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, have been a Rachel fan since forever. From one Maine girl to another, I must say she rocks!

Comment by Janet Marie – January 14, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show and the fact that they don’t pretend Vancouver is an American city. Can’t wait for Season 2.

Comment by Vannesa – January 14, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What continues to confuse me is her ” my first mission is to get home to my husband and my son. ” thing, in that why does she believe if she was to jump forward her husband and son would be there for her to return to.

Comment by Fido – January 14, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats covered pretty much straight away actually. the theory behind time travel in this world is that nothing will be changed by her, or any other time travellers, actions i.e. the future she knows comes about because she went back in time and made it happen. essentially its a kind of paradox and it becomes a lot more blatant that this is where they are heading with it as the season goes on.
      one bit of advice if you are thinking about watching it: dont let the time travel stuff bog you down, the show spells it out in time for you. its far more important to understand the characters and their relationships than the explanation for why they are there.
      if you are interested please do check it out, ive already seen the first season in full over here in ireland and i was blown away by the quality, i wasnt expecting much and only watched the first episode because nothing else was on but i very quickly became hooked

Comment by Alan – January 14, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally you guys mention this amazing show. I’ve been dropping hints for months now.

Comment by luke – January 14, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A better pick for Continuum to air in the USA would have been BBCA instead of the wrassling and soap-fi channel syfy. Sci-Fi fans no longer go to that channel.

Comment by scififan – January 21, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hello!,I really like your writing very much! share we
    communicate more approximately your article on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this area to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Taking a look forward to look you.

Comment by Carley – March 3, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello, its pleasant paragraph on the topic of media print,
    we all be aware of media is a great source of data.

Comment by http://www.emporio-boutique.com – April 7, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share… waiting for more.

Comment by relocation – April 15, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hey ! Ici Denise
    Je suis agée de quarante-cinq ans , je n’ai pas de retenue là dessus !
    Je travaille comme hôtesse d’accueil ! Mes amies disent régulièrement que je suis une
    vraie pomme.

Comment by Albert – May 9, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hey ! Ici Joy
    Je suis une jeune femme de 44 années .
    Mon métier, bibliothécaire ! il parait que je suis
    revêche.

Comment by Honneur – May 16, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure
    of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

Comment by http://www.Voyageeco.com – May 16, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rive à votre service
    Je suis une femme de trente-huit piges .

Mon occupation principale, agent d’assurance . On dit régulièrement que je parais très cool.

Comment by CONTROLE D'ACCES – May 19, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m
    not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb blog!

Comment by 404 Not Found – May 24, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Je suis une vieille de 18 berges , et j’assume totalement .
    Mon nom est Edmee.
    J’ai repris mes études pour devenir opératrice de fabrication
    … Si je suis parfois cool, ce n’est pas forcément un défaut ?

Comment by bataille – May 24, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Un sourire de star ça se retrouve.
    Votre dentiste est autorise a se changer en un reel enchanteur.

Pour les gens qui ne veulent pas imaginer la marque de la vieillesse sur ses
    dents,
    il est propose de poursuivre des soins esthetique dentaire 93.

Au sujet des facettes en ceramique elles sont exlpoitees pour
    envelopper la faiblesse.
    Grace aux facettes, on passe dans le ressort de la chirurgie esthetique.

Le service recommande un discernement et le tarif est assez
    consequent.
    Adoptant les memes techniques comme les faux ongles,
    mis au niveau des dents et dissimulent les anormalites, comme les dents felees.

Ce processus est egalement employe pour faire disparaitre la breche note sur les dents de devant.

La majorite de la therapie se confectionne en une unique action et le traitement subsiste environ dix ans.

Pour ce qui demande un sourire radieux, mis en evidence par
    un email veritablement blanche, ci-apres les suggestions
    Les techniques et substances courants ne demeure de s’améliorer
    tout en protegeant vos dents.
    Des appreils de blanchiment a la maison ainsi que des soins en cabinet dentaire sont des recettes
    qui sont utilisables.
    L’accord aux traitements orthodontiques est difficiles a consentir aussi bien pour
    les jeunes et les adultes.
    Toutefois l’issu de ce genre de traitements ne sont plus
    a proner

Comment by Nickolas – May 27, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • comment va ? Je me nomme Didiane.
    Je suis une jeune femme de trente-trois piges .

Mon occupation principale, administrateur judiciaire ! Si je suis parfois enjouée, ce n’est pas forcément un défaut ?

Comment by Pauline – May 28, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Depannage de porte et de serrurerie avec des professionnels sur toute la région Ile-de-France et
    ses environs le numéro un dans les dépannages de portes et de serrures.

Comment by plombier bagneux – June 3, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Je viens de fêter mon vingt-neufième anniversaire.
    tant pis si on ne le dit pas .
    Ici Élise
    Je suis une scripte … il parait que je suis une mère poule.

A

Comment by chitechscene.com – June 4, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Je me nomme Etoile.
    Je suis une jeune de 37 printemps .
    Mon boulot, artiste . Est-ce un défaut que d’être pète sec ?

Comment by Voyage en Republique Dominicaine pas cher – June 19, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bonjour à tous, Je suis une jeune de quarante-neuf ans .

Gallia à votre service
    Je suis une surveillant pénitentiaire … il apparaît que je suis un drole d’oiseau.

Comment by Matthew – June 22, 2013 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ça va ? Je suis jeune de trente-neuf ans , je ne fait pas de
    complexe à le dire .
    Je me nomme Holly.
    Mon occupation principale, animateur sportif . Si je suis parfois joyeuse, ce n’est pas pour autant un défaut ?

Comment by billet Davion pas chere – June 30, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hello, Je me nomme Capucine.
    Je suis une jeune fille de quarante-cinq printemps
    j’assume totalement mon age .
    Je travaille comme aide comptable ! Si je suis parfois délicate, ce n’est pas pour autant un
    défaut ?

Comment by zhufuni.org – July 5, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mon nom est Joanna.
    J’ai trente-deuxA : je ne fait pas de complexe là dessus .
    Mon boulot, horticultrice . Je suis plutôt d’un caractère réservé.

Comment by http://extremaduradigital.org/mediawiki/index.php/Usuario:AustinKin – July 11, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bonjour à tous, je suis Eugenia
    Je suis agée de 30 ans .
    J’ai repris mes études pour etre huissier de justice . Il est dit parfois que je parais attentionnée.

Comment by hypehope.org – July 13, 2013 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post