Carrie Diaries: Samantha, Miranda, Charlotte to Appear! Plus – Sarah Jessica Parker Weighs In

The Carrie Diaries The CW Charlotte Miranda Samantha The brains behind The CW’s Carrie Diaries fully intend to show viewers how its titular ingenue (played by AnnaSophia Robb) first met future BFFs Samantha, Miranda, Charlotte — eventually.

“Let’s get to know Carrie [first] and see her world,” showrunner Amy B. Harris told reporters Saturday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “And then yes, I definitely thought of different ways we will met her three other friends. I’ve thought a lot about that.”

Harris and fellow EPs Josh Schwartz and Candace Bushnell fielded several questions about the decision to have Diaries deviate from Sex and the City in several key areas. For instance, Diaries‘ Carrie is considerable younger than SATC‘s Carrie would’ve been in the mid-80s, which is when the show is set.

“I wanted to meet her before she had sex, before she fell in love and before she met Manhattan,” said Harris. “I really wanted to explore that in the first season.”

One area where Diaries won’t stray from the original series: Carrie is somewhat of a basket case — despite the fact that her father (Matt Letscher) is present, accounted for and mostly rad, which is in stark contrast to SATC where Carrie’s father was AWOL (and the cause of so many of her daddy issues). “This Carrie is damaged and afraid and we’re going to see that play out in her first love relationships,” said Harris.

This Carrie also has the fully support of that Carrie, Sarah Jessica Parker. “She sent me a very lovely note kind of giving me her blessing and encouraging me and saying how dear the part was for her,” said Robb. “It meant a lot.”

Comments (24)

• I’m confused…so they are using the same “character” to create a completely separate continuity? Did a Romulan go back in time to try and kill her or something?

Comment by J – January 13, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s based on the books which were written by Candace Bushnell and based on Carrie Bradshaw but she deviated from Sex and the City a lot in terms of creating Carrie’s backstory. The dead mother thing wasn’t invented by the show nor was her having a sister it’s all in the books which aren’t much like the show at all.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – January 13, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really, really, love you for that geeky Romulan comment! :-D

Comment by Jesse – January 13, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only do you win the internet for your Romulan comment, but it should also be noted that Kim Cattrall played a Vulcan in one of the Star Trek movies before she played Samantha ON SATC. Perhaps this will figure into the plot of the Carrie Diaries, and we’ll find out that all young alternate-universe-Carrie’s friends are secretly aliens.

Comment by Geo – January 13, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like this show so badly but why do they deviate in some I think unnecessary ways?

e.g. if u wanna show a younger character set the show when carrie wld be that age! easy fix…

but I try to keep an open mind

Comment by geeeee – January 13, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a deviation at all!

The show Sex and the City was based on the book by the same name. The show deviated from the book, changing a lot of Carrie’s backstory.

The author wrote a series of books called The Carrie Diaries that included her backstory. This show is based on that book series NOT the TV show from HBO. They are going by the original source material.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 13, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I have no investment in the franchise, I feel like this is the danger that comes with doing prequel television series like this. Not to mention, I never really understood how they thought they could pull off doing a network prequel to a raunchy cable show.

Comment by Tony – January 13, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do it the way it’s supposed to be! I remember she had an abortion at 16

Comment by Olivia – January 13, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the show SATC she said her abortion was at 22, not 16& in the books she dosent loose her viginity til her 18th birthday.Where did you get abortion at 16?

Comment by Brandy – January 13, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched it in Spanish, maybe they translated it wrong there.

Comment by Olivia – January 14, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought she had an abortion one night after Tunnel? After she was firmly planted in NYC…

At any rate, I am excited about this show. If I have to suspend the few background details that we have on Carrie and the girls, so be it. There were some continuity issues regarding all the girls background in SATC and that didn’t impact my ability to watch the show.

Comment by BL – January 13, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She came to new york in her esrly 20s on SATC, at 22 hooked up with a waiter,got pregnant ,had an abortion but didnt tell her one night stand.She says this in SATC season four episode when she goes with Miranda to a abortion clinic so Miranda can abort Steves baby but she decides to have it.I dont know the name of the episode.The books im referring to are The Carrie Diaries and Summer in the City by Candace Bushnell.She loses her virginity on her 18th b day at the end of Summer in the City to Capote Duncan(who I belive is in a season one episode of SATC.

Comment by Brandy – January 13, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right, which makes what you and I said the same. ;)

Comment by BL – January 13, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I was replying to Olivia.Was Tunnel the restruant the waiter worked at?

Comment by Brandy – January 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT
          • Tunnel was the club where she met the guy that we see as the waiter in S04.

Comment by BL – January 13, 2013 01:48 PM PDT
  • Maybe I will give it a try since I’ve been hearing good things about it but I do have problems with prequels. I watched the original SATC and Carrie without the girls and Big is just weird. A show with Carrie that is not SATC just feels strange to me.

Comment by Jen – January 13, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why bother with this, no one wants or watches these kind of shows anyway.

Comment by Jazzzzzz – January 13, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems all the questions that were fielded to them about how this doesn’t mesh with the series was “Well we wanted” and “Carrie is..” and THis Carrie”…so basically it isn’t so much a prequel(because it doesn’t really follow a lot of continuity from the main show, including important facts about her dad or when Carrie meets her three best friends”…q

Comment by Josh – January 13, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the second book of the Carrie Diaries she meets Miranda and Samantha! It’s based on the books alone, not the tv series !! I don’t understand how people can’t get that?? It’s not that hard! Books are usually a lot BETTER than tv shows, and provide more details etc… They’re basing it on the author’s version, not the hollywood, flashy tv version!

Comment by Jo – January 14, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought I already had the Sex And The City prequel on DVD. It’s called Square Pegs. ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 13, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how this will all play out. I do find it odd that Bushnell strayed so far from the backstory the SATC writers gave Carrie. Remember Carrie Diaries were wrote AFTER SATC was over. So why would you interfere what was already done? Even beyond being to young for continuity sake and having a father and sister, my biggest question is why should I invest in these new characters outside of Carrie? I know they are not important to Carrie’s life in the future, 20 yrs after the fact. So just witness her growth might not be enough to keep me. I will be watching to see how it goes, but unless there is a major time jump in a few seasons, I wonder about the success of the series.

Comment by Jules – January 13, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because it’s her book and her creation and she can do whatever she wants since it’s hers.

Comment by Anthony G. Newhall – January 14, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the fact that The Carrie Diaries being so different than what people remember from the SATC series could be a good thing in terms of being a stand alone series but I do feel it will alienate any potential viewers who might have been a SATC fan. I hope this hits for the CW.

Comment by Jared – January 13, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they stick to how they all met. I haven’t read the books. But, in Sex in the City 1 or 2, they said how all the girls met. This show is more directed at teens. But, I’ll watch.

Comment by Melissa – January 15, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post