CW Boss Talks Wonder Woman, Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Supernatural Renewal and More!

Supernatural Jensen Ackles Jared PadaleckiA ninth season of Supernatural appears to be a foregone conclusion.

At the The CW’s portion of the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour, network president Mark Pedowitz was bullish on the prospects of the show continuing. “We are pleased with how Wednesday night has worked out with Arrow and Supernatural,” he said. “Creatively, the show is in a great place. There’s always a good shot [it could return].”

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Other highlights from The CW’s exec session:

* Pedowitz confirmed that he is developing a Vampire DiariesOriginals-centric spin-off starring Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin. The exec also shot down buzz that Tonkin was circling Amazon, the network’s buzzy Wonder Woman pilot. “We haven’t thought about her in terms of Wonder Woman.” Speaking of which…

* “We’re waiting to see the script and are busy casting Diana,” said Pedowitz of Amazon, adding that this project has little in common with NBC’s ill-fated David E. Kelley-produced reboot. “I have not seen David’s project [but] this is an origination story [like] Smallville].”

* A retooled version of the Hunger Games-esque pilot The Selection remains in contention for next season. “The script just came in,” Pedowitz reported. “It’s very well done.”

* “We’re running all 13 episodes” of cancelled rookie medical drama Emily Owens M.D., said Pedowitz. “We’re very proud of the show. For whatever reason, we couldn’t get it fully sampled.”

* No decisions have been made on renewals for Nikita, 90210 and Hart of Dixie. But Pedowitz declared that he is “a big believer in giving fans a very satisfactory conclusion,” should any of the network’s long-running series get axed. “It’s something that we as a television industry need to do.”

* Regarding the fate of freshman drama Beauty and the Beast, “We’re very pleased with it creatively. It’s on par with Secret Circle in terms of total viewers. Based on the passion of fans, we think we have something [there].”

* The network’s in-the-works adaptation of Japanese flick Battle Royale is essentially dead.

1. trisha says:

Love vampire diaries!! The originals spin off would be so cool :) also I really hope beauty and the beast sticks around!its defiantly my favorite Disney movie and definitely one of my favorite shows on tv :)

• Russ says:

I hope to god the spin off gets picked up. It is the second planned show I want next season (first being S.H.E.I.L.D.). Also please put Claire Holt in the spin off, she kills as the tragic Rebekah and would love to see more growth.

• jericho says:

Claire Holt belongs on TVD not on a spin off. She definitely has story to tell and without Klaus there will be a desperate need for an Original and she is definitely the better choice if its her or Elijah.

2. Rachel says:

Keep Nikita and Hart of Dixie. Put 90210 to bed. It’s long past time.

3. Ally says:

So does this mean Beauty And The Beast has good chances of being renewed?? I hope so!

4. Lena says:

Beauty and the Beast is on par with Secret Circle numbers? Shouldn’t that mean it should get cancelled because that’s what happened to TSC?

Sorry, still bitter Secret Circle got cancelled.

• Alichat says:

That was exactly the thought I had when I read that too! I mean, he does recall that he cancelled The Secret Circle because it didn’t have enough viewers, right??

• Charlie says:

I think viewers dont matter anyways, they canceled a show that I was interested in seeing and I just dont watch the S–T anymore good luck to the programers they should pay the price.

• Rowan77 says:

The ratings are on par with Secret Circle (which is bad) but they are looking at the fans. Supernatural’s numbers are not the best, but they have passionate fans all over the world, and it’s the money the studio makes overseas that make Supernatural such a profitable show for them (the company that owns a majority of the network also owns the studio that produces the show). If Beauty & The Beast has a market overseas like SPN, then they show may get the pick-up. Viewers matter to the network, but they are not the only consideration.

Castle’s ratings have been in decline for the past few years, but the show it the most profitable drama ABC has, so there is every reason to believe it, too, will get another season or so coming to it.

• kat says:

Not to mention it’s actually a bit lower already at half season than the Secret Circle’s average at the end of the season, and could very well dip even lower in the spring as many shows tend to fall in the spring.

• Cdb5e says:

Beauty and the Beast must have a good following, because they won a People’s Choice Award for Best New Show. I’m hoping it sticks around, i love it.

• Shire eh says:

Ausiello is recapping. CW prez also said he could see a long life for BATB. So keep tuning in!

• wordsmith says:

There may be other factors to consider apart from just the ratings. For example, TSC had a larger cast and bigger effects, so it may have been more expensive to produce. I don’t know that for a fact, but it stands to reason.

• Brandy says:

It wasnt just ratings in the US that got SC, it was Pedowitz feeling it didnt have growth potentional(but he feels Beauty does) & SC didnt do well internationally whereas Beauty does ive heard and SC was exspensive with a large cast and special effects.So if Beautys cheap,does well internationally and online(SC didnt well online either ive heard)& Pedowitz feels it can grow, plus most fans say Beauty got better after the first few episodes ,all that might get it renewed.

• Sarah says:

Beauty and the Beast doesn’t cost as much as TSC did. In hand, for a show that cost less then the previous one, doing the same numbers as the costly one, at the end is a win for the network since they’re getting the same results without to take a lot money out of their pockets.

• But clearly the network had higher expectations for TSC. They expected it to be a break-out hit and it wasn’t. Gives the content, the network, and the lead-in, TSC should of been a hit.. B&TB is doing surprisingly well, since most people expected to fail.

And since B&TB is probably a lot cheaper than TSC was, that will also be a factor. If a show does well and cost less, you go with that.

• Sharie says:

And it managed to win a People’s Choice Award 9 eps in.that is an accomplishment given some of the other heavy hitters in that category

• Elyse says:

agreed!! i was very shocked it got a peoples choice award! i watched the first Beauty and the Beast episode but stopped because i just assumed it would be cancelled and i didn’t want my heart broken again like it was with TSC. hopefully if Beauty gets picked up for a second season they put the first season on Netflix this summer so i can get caught up!

5. Midori004 says:

I gather from what he said was that 90210 is probably dead, but will get 10 episodes like Gossip Girl did.

6. C says:

There has to be Supernatural season 9, especially with the ratings and all the awards, I mean, come on. An amazing show with the best characters and cast.

• Cdb5e says:

I am a Supernatural fan, and have been since the beginning, but i was SO surprised at their winning at the People’s Choice Awards. Especially them beating out The Vampire Diaries, really shocked me.

• Ari says:

I really think the show has refound its footing though. It’s having a very strong creative season and I think people are recognizing that. I’m glad the renewal is looking like a sure thing. I just started watching SPN this summer so this is the first season I’ve watched in real time. It’s amazing and I can’t believe it took me 8 years to get on board!

• rowan77 says:

I started watching SPN only after being told over and over to watch “The French Mistake.” I loved that episode (Misha was hysterical), and checked out all of season 4 on Netflix. That was all I needed to start watching the series from the beginning. Seasons 4&5 are my fav’s, but this season is shaping up beautifully with Carver at the helm. The boys sound like themselves again, the storylines are stronger, and the show has regained it’s Kripke-esque-ness that’s been missing, at least during season 7. I have no doubt the show will get a 9th and possibly 10th season.

7. Lauren says:

Keep Hart Of Dixie!!

8. Alan says:

the battle royale adaptation isnt dead as long as a hunger games rip off exists. wow a rip off of a rip off.
    renew nikita, arrow and supernatural and i swear i wont say anything bad about the cw for a full year

9. Amanda says:

Sigh. If BatB keeps TSC’s numbers but gets renewed….I’ll continue to be a very bitter TSC fan.

• Sarah says:

BATB cost less then TSC and is doing the same numbers. BATB was also promoted less than TSC was last season. TSC was suppose to be the big breakout series last season, BATB is not this season. That crown goes to Arrow.

Not only is CW paying less for BATB but they’re getting the same numbers from it as the series previously of there’s that was suppose to be the “big hit” show of last season.

• TGT says:

I too am a bitter TSC fan. I could care less about BATB or any other new show the CW had brought on since canceling my show! The only show I continue to watch is SN and we will continue to do so until the end

10. Susie says:

Keep Hart of Dixie and renew Beauty and the Beast, then I’d be one happy camper!

11. Sharie says:

TSC is dead. One of the reasons it died was the expense of the actors and the show’s special effects. The amount of special effects and its cost was not in line with its ratings. bATB’s cost is lower likely.

• Lower cost or whatever it’s still on the bubble for sure right now.They are going to want to put the TVD spin-off after TVD next season, so unless they feel B&B can do well without the TVD lead-in it will get canceled.

• Ari says:

My thoughts exactly. Although, without the Originals, TVD is going to be pretty much unwatchable. I think they’ll lose some fans unless they can really bounce back creatively and drop the gone on too too long love triangle.

• S says:

Funny, TVD did just fine without the originals before and can again without them. They don’t make the show and aren’t even on every episode. I might be in the minority but I still love Damon and would like to see Jeremy and Bonnie even Matt get an actual story.. I like Klaus but I won’t miss him either and think its time for some new villains.

• Different strokes for different folks – for me, the focus on the Originals, Klaus especially, is what MADE the show unwatchable (plus the horrible neverending triangle), so I quit after Season 3. As far as I’m concerned, they need to axe all of them except Elijah and maybe Rebekah. Klaus, at this point, is tied with Sylar from Heroes for the title of Most Annoying Woobie Bad Boy Villain Who Refuses to Die, Ever.

• Mikael says:

I completely agree! I know villains are popular, but when they overstay their welcome, it ruins them and show. Sylar should have died after Heroes season 1. Klaus really needs to go.

• A says:

TVD will be fine without the Originals. Plus it opens up the story lines for Katherine’s return

12. Ruby says:

Here for Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, and Beauty and the Beast. Love all three shows with my whole heart!

• wednesday says:

Same here Ruby! I think the people spoke at the PCA. It is nice to see SPN get the recognition it deserves. I knew it would beat TVD, same as they did last year. I do watch TVD, but SPN is a much better show.

13. Diana says:

Well LOVE Beauty And The Beast!! I hope it gets renewed! I’m so happy they won a People’s Choice Award!! BATB Fans rejoice!!!!

& listen to those awful comments from those haters!!

14. Liz says:

I really hope Hart of Dixie gets renewed. It’s the only show on The CW that I truly care about anymore.

15. Jared says:

I watch a lot on the CW..but the only shows I hope get renewed are HoD..BATB..and Arrow.90210 I could take or leave at this point.

16. Kresh says:

Haven’t been watching Beauty and a beast, still waiting to see if it gets a second season, I’ll catch up online if that’s the case :)

17. Sharie says:

Kresh, watch the latest episode. With one more viewer, we are closer to renewal :)

18. Jay says:

Beauty and the Beast please stay! Let there be a season2.

19. J says:

I hope BATB gets renewed because SOMEONE MUST LOVE THAT HIDEOUS FACE OF HIS!

20. Shar says:

There’s a lot of love for BATB. I might check it out…tvline, do you do recaps?

21. anita1denson says:

KEEP HART OF DIXIE!!!!! I’m going to miss Emily Owens M.D.!!!!!! I loved that show!!!

• Aubrey says:

I wish they could somehow bring Emily Owens M.D. back. It made me look forward to Tuesday nights! After a long week of work and school, it was nice to come home to a show that was relatable and an all around joy to watch! We will never get to see Emily and Micah in all their glory or how Will handles everything. Is it to late to beg them to BRING EMILY OWENS BACK?!?! >_<

22. Dulci says:

I love BATB and hope it gets renewed. My husband really got into SC but I didn’t watch from the beginning so could not get into it. The storyline with BATB is not complicated-it is much easier for a show like BATB to grow an audience than SC. That said I would never wish for anyone’s favorite tv show to get cancelled-it sucks (think Firefly). If you want to give BATB another try or a first try episode 9 is great.

23. Lili says:

I still can’t get over the cancellation of Emily Owens m.d…. It is a great show and I want to see more… Beauty and the Beast gets better, but Emily Owens is still better than Beauty and the Beast or Hart of Dixie…

• Lydia says:

Mamie Garner is a treasure and needs a show that lasts more than one season, but Emily Owens was too similar to other medical shows and the premise of her battling her high school rival got tired easily. HoD has a better ensemble.

24. Zorkel567 says:

I just want an Arrow renewal and an Amazon pick up. Other than that, I am set

25. mirvin365 says:

I’m totally willing to support Amazon if they’re able to capture the same personal & emotional development and sense of family that made Smallville so terrific. Casting Diana is key though.

26. William says:

I don’t understand why they would waste their time on a potential VD spinoff when the powers that be could have kept The Secret Circle around. That cancellation still puzzles me as the show performed a lot better than Hart of Dixie, which got renewed. Not to mention, the ratings weren’t that bad in comparison to other shows (Gossip Girl, 90210, Nikita). *sigh* It was a perfect companion piece for Vampire Diaries.

• Brandy says:

First, VD is the highest rated show on CW, and the Originals are fan favorite charcters and the spoinoff is more likley to hold VDs audience than SC did.
      Second, At the end of the season,SC has same 0.5_0.6 as 90210& HoD, total viewers dont matter.It stsrted big then declined a lot over the season and couldnt hold VDs audience well.Plus, SC didnt do well online or internationally and Pedowitz(CW president ) didnt feel it had potentinal to grow.SC shouldve done better with all the promotion it got and best possible leadin it had.SC was also exspensive to produce with a large cast and special effects.SC books were written by VDs book author and was suppossed to be a perfect pair/match but show wise turned out not to be.I was a SC fan too, but its time to move on.

27. Danielle H. says:

OOOO please just keep Hart of Dixie. It’s so much fun.

28. heidi says:

Keep Hart of Dixie! It is a great show

29. Alice says:

Keep Hart of Dixie. There needs to be ONE non-supernatural crime show one the channel. It’s refreshing and there isn’t anything like it on tv.

30. Azerty says:

When will the CW give us an original serie? I mean I love(d) a lot of their shows but there is nothing original here…Gossip Girl, The Secret Circle, Vampires Diaries and Beauty and the beast came from books, Nikita, 90210 and Carrie diares are adaptations from 90’s movie/series, Smallville and Arrow are from DC comics, and now they want an Hunger game-ish serie (books/movies),a spin off for TVD and Amazon, an other DC adptation (don’t get me wrong I love those, Smallville might be my favorite serie ever and I am interested in Amazon but still…). Currently Supernatural and Hart of Dixies are the only original stuff they really created from nothing (and I am not sure Supernatural can count since it came from the WB)
    Come on bring something new, something fresh, something that won’t be cancel after 1 season (Ringer? and even though I have never watch: Emily Owens which has been quickly cancelled). I just wish something new,and that they give it a try longer than 1 season. Other networks dare, so why the CW continue to get things we have seen everywhere?

• Miranda says:

I feel like The CW feels like it needs a guarantee when it comes to series’, and with something that already has a fan base, that’s more likely to come to the shows. But original series’ have trouble finding their footing if they don’t follow along with current trends. What Pedowitz needs to understand is there is no such thing as a guarantee, and with bigger risks comes the potential for greater rewards.

31. Jen says:

I watch a few shows on the CW but the only one I really truly care about is Hart of Dixie. I really hope they keep the show. It is simply a fun and entertaining hour of television and unlike anything else on their schedule.

32. Kristina says:

Would love to see more Hart of Dixie, one of my favorites on right now. Love Supernatural and Beauty and the Beast, too.

33. Cheryl T. says:

I LOVE Beauty and the Beast! It’s gotten better and better with each episode. Amazing backstory on the characters coming thru now. Hope it continues !!

34. Boiler says:

Please keep Heart of Dixie!! Instead of talking about “closure” for the fans figure out a way to keep the good ones. People are gonna stop watching if don’t know the future.

35. Abbs says:

Keep Hart of Dixie and Nikita.The rest i don’t care that much about.

36. Abbs says:

Nikita FTW though.Its the only show thats mature and different on the CW

37. Dominique says:

Keep Hart of Dixie and Nikita, bury 90210. Give the Klaus spin-off green light so that he’ll finally be gone from TVD and I can actually enjoy that show again.
    Renew Supernatural and get on your hands and knees and beg Misha Collins to return as a regular. And bring Bobby somehow back. Gamble really did a number on those characters in her last season as showrunner…

• :Loli says:

Although I hated it, but Bobby’s demise was too big to undo.. we said our goodbyes. Castiel departure is looong overdue. I liked the way he died in Swan Song, a hero, which was only fair to the character at that point. But then came Sera and as it appears to me, had no clue where to go from there nor did she want to upset Cas fans so she decided to make him God and ruin him beyond repair. S7 Cas was a joke I couldn’t believe she act did that. Not to mention feeding the Destiel crap over & over, polishing Sam as much as she could and turning Dean into something he’s not (a defenseless and whiny punk). Therefore, I pray it ends this season where they deliver an action-packed, suspenseful season, end it big then make a movie and make it epic.

38. Eric says:

Supernatural and Nikita must stay. Arrow too, but that’s pretty much a sure thing.

39. Renee says:

Oh I really want Beauty & The Beast, Nikita and Arrow renewed. They are such fun watchable shows.

40. Mandy says:

Just heard that Mark wanted a season 3 of The LA Complex but couldn’t keep it without help from its Canadian broadcasters.

41. jon says:

Keep Arrow, Nikita, Hart of Dixie, TVD. Green-light The Originals and I guess give 90210 a final shortened season like OTH and GG. Also It’d be nice if the CW would take a risk and try something more original and not just an adaptation of a book/tv series/comic/movie.

42. Elle says:

Shelley Hennig or Ashley Greene would be my picks for Diana in Amazon but they would both have to bulk up! I really hope Hart Of Dixie returns its so cute but if it does get cancelled there is still Bunheads for my Gilmore Girls size whole in my TV.I don’t know if The Originals is a good idea, it seems weird to build up Klaus as a big bad for seasons then to just spin him off meaning he won’t die and will just decide to leave Elena?

43. Eliza says:

Hart of Dixie <3

44. Claudia says:

Supernatural must stay in place, the fanbase is big and loyal and it’s going better and better this season(the PCA awards testify to that). It is still amazing and Jared and Jensen can reinvent Sam and Dean with every season.

Also, please keep Hart of Dixie! It is really fun and heartwarming and there’s nothing out there quite the same.

Arrow and TVD are faves as well. I can consider myself a CW fan by now and I’m really looking forward to Robert Knepper in Cult.

45. xrue says:

I only watch 90210. But I agree that this show must end this year before they keep on adding another hundreds of new couples @ thousands of guest celebrities to the show.

46. Lois says:

Honestly, I don’t care at all about The Originals spin-off and I love The Vampire Diaries, but I’d be happy to get rid of Klaus from the main show. However, if Elijah and Rebekah were on the spin-off, I’d probably have to watch it because I love them so much.

47. Minion says:

I’ve watched TVD since it first started airing and while I do very much enjoy it, if I had to pick only one show to watch for the rest of my life, it would be Supernatural. I only started watching SPN around 3 to 4 months ago and it didn’t take me long to wonder why it took me so long to find this amazing show. I now own all seven seasons on DVD and am eagerly waiting for next week’s new Season 8 episode. I hope that it doesn’t ever end, but more realistically I really wish for the 10 seasons and a movie thing as well.

I also know several other people that are new SPN fans from just this past few months and more that have started watching it now and are getting caught up. I honestly think that this show is going nowhere but up and I sincerely hope that the executives see that and it gets renewed.

• Jon says:

That’s all true, I have a lot of friends that started watching it recently. I can’t believe how the series keeps getting more and more fans. But the biggest mistery is: How this people didn’t knew about the show before?
      I think the show wasn’t enough promoted when it began on 2005, or maybe the budget for publicity was low. I wish the show could get a bit of more recognition. I mean, Mark Pedowitz has done a great job with Supernatural, but I think they should do some sort of music video promo, like they did with Pretty Little Liars, or something like that. I always thought they should do a Supernatural video game. I just think the show has enough potential to get a higher position at the promo/publicity area.