Golden Globes 2013: Homeland, Game Change and Girls Win Big

Golden Globe WinnersThe 70th annual Golden Globe Awards were held Sunday night in Los Angeles at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, and Showtime’s Homeland and HBO’s Game Change led the TV pack with three wins each. HBO’s Girls followed with two wins.

Here is the complete list of winners in the TV categories, indicated in BOLD. (You can also read Michael Slezak’s commentary on the show’s highs and lows.)

PHOTOS | Check Out Michael Ausiello’s Golden Globes Red Carpet Photo Diary

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIESSUPPORTING ACTRESS
Hayden Panettiere, Nashville
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Sarah Paulson, Game Change
WINNER — Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Which wins have you cheering? Which snubs leave you sneering? Sound off in comments! Visit our sister site Movieline for a list of motion picture winners.

1. Josh says:

Crap! I wanted Jessica Lange, Boardwalk Empire and Steve Buscemi to win their respective nominations. *Sad face*

2. SadforBreakingBad says:

Breaking bad and Bryan Cranston should have won. I mean I like Homeland but the second season wasn’t as good as their first season and Breaking Bad is just getting better!

I do agree with Maggie Smith though! She is fabulous!

• Truth says:

And that’s your opinion, just like I feel bored every time I watch Breaking Bad, and think Girls is a terrible show. I feel like Homeland S2 was not as good as S1 too, but I still feel like its better than Breaking Bad.

3. Eric says:

Breaking Bad has been getting ripped off tonight. They should be winning. Here’s to hoping either Alec or Louis wins for Best Comedy Actor later on.

4. Laura says:

Yay!!! Homeland cleaned shop ! I’m so happy , they so deserve it <3

5. tahina says:

Cable’s award show..hmm. ^.^

• TVPeong says:

I was just thinking that. Why was there no love for any network show? I hope that this is not a pre-cursor for the Emmys.

• soundscene says:

It is, sadly. I’m all for cable sharing in the award love, and I do remember when cable TV was relegated to the sidelines and the Cable Ace Awards. However, I think there’s a false notion in Hollywoodland that if it’s on cable (especially one of the “grittier” cable networks) it must be better than anything on broadcast TV. Unfortunate. I watch way too much TV–including cable TV–and I find the most entertaining shows to be on broadcast. On broadcast, in order to be creative, witty and smart, you have to do it without the “brave” choices to air nekkid people, overt sexual content, and swear words. In other words, it’s tougher to be great on broadcast, although a few manage greatness anyway but don’t get rewarded anymore.

• You really make it appear so straightforward along with your presentation but I locate this topic to be truly some thing which I think I would in no way comprehend. It seems too complex and quite broad for me. I’m seeking forward for your next post, I will attempt to obtain the hang of it!

6. david says:

maybe its because I am a guy but i really don’t get the show “girls” i don’t think they should have won compared to big bang theory and modern family. I think that Lena Dunham is talented but not as much as Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Veep is fantastic. can someone explain this to me please?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

The HFPA likes edgy shows and loves to honor people before the Emmys do. Personally, I love Girls and was happy to see Lena Dunham win, but I would have been happy with a Julia win as I like Veep a lot as well.

• Guy says:

Really? From what I’ve seen online, more guys like the show than girls do. However, I have to agree that the HFPA does like to award the new people, which is great. Sometimes the Emmys can go years without acknowledging newcomers, if at all. I mean JLD has a bajillion Emmys. She’ll be fine.

• Girl says:

I’m a girl and I totally agree with you. It’s not so much that I dislike the show, but Hannah’s character is so annoying I can’t bare to watch. I do think Lena Dunham is talented though.

• Anonymous Girl says:

I don’t understand how the show can be in the comedy category. I watched the entire first season and didn’t laugh once.

• soundscene says:

I’m a girl and I agree with you. Really dislike Girls. Don’t get the appeal.

• Aoife says:

I agree with you. I thought that The Big Bang Theory deserved the award and that Jim Persons deserved the award for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical tv series!!!!! I am upset!!!! :-(

7. Gilda says:

No love for Cumberbatch. Sigh.

8. Wow says:

There’s just way better TV shows/Characters on Cable/Premium Cable! I wonder when it was the last time Cable swept the awards? Or is this the first?

• soundscene says:

I disagree with the statement that there are better TV shows and characters on cable. There are more messed up, anti-hero characters on cable. Doesn’t make them better or more entertaining, though. Just less like people you actually know in real life.

9. Sam says:

YEAH GIRLS! I’m a guy and I love this show. And I know several other men that enjoy it also.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

Robbed: Louis C.K., Benedict Cumberbatch, and Mandy Patinkin. Awesome wins: Homeland, Damian Lewis, Claire Danes, Girls, and Lena Dunham. And on the film side of things, I was pretty pleased to see Christoph Waltz win and pretty upset to see Les Mis beat out Moonrise Kingdom (though I totally expected Silver Linings Playbook to be the one to do that). Actually, all Les Mis wins disappointed me. Lincoln underperformed…again. What the heck is going to happen at the Oscars this year? I thought the worst moment of the night was Anne Hathaway interrupting her producer’s acceptance speech because she didn’t get to thank everyone she wanted in her acceptance speech. That was soooo rude. The best moment of the night was Amy Poehler flirting with George Clooney during the best comedy actress category and Tina Fey telling Taylor Swift to stay away from Michael J. Fox’s son.

11. Blinged Up says:

Does anyone know what was bleeped or censored out in the middle of Jodie Foster’s speech?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I believe it was (at least in part) because she said, “Christ…” when she was asking for/not getting a whoop.

12. Kat says:

Breaking Bad was ROBBED. Such a crime that this show hasn’t been recognized yet.

• Truth says:

Your joking here right? All I used to see the last couple of years is how Breaking Bad won all these awards and is suck a great show. And then I watched it and wondered when it will get interesting. Still hasn’t.

• Guy says:

Bryan Cranston usually sweeps awards at the Emmys (which is coming to a turning point), but the actual series has not won a major award yet. And are you sure you watched Breaking Bad and not Mad Men, because what?

13. Booth_Girl says:

meh. I think they should separate cable and network. Cable shows are allowed to do so much more. I think it’s not a fair fight. Plus not everyone can watch all the cable/premium shows, they way most people have access to the letter networks. Award shows are lame. BBT wins weekly!

• TVPeong says:

I don’t have cable, so I can’t watch most of the shows that were nominated, and I haven’t seen any of the shows that won. I am surprised network channels still shell out all that money to host these awards shows, since so few network shows are nominated.

• Whateva says:

Me too! I haven’t watched half of these shows and why should I have to pay more money to watch them? ugh…

• Leah says:

The money is different. As you said, BBT wins weekly. Its reward is that it’s going to stay on air for a kabillion years, as long as it continues making that kind of money. Breaking Bad couldn’t even have all the episodes it wanted to finish the series. Unfairness is subjective.

14. TrickGirl says:

Benedict Cumberbatch was ROBBED, seriously, it’s as if the American award shows have some sector loathing for amazing British shows which blow their American counterparts out of the water….sigh

15. luli says:

I’m just gonna say this… Best moment of the Golden Globes: Anne Hathaway saying this on her speech “The girl who started out as the princess of Genovia”. I teared up.

16. elle says:

I was hoping Glenn close would win. Amazing on damages!

17. Reblogged this on My Tiny Obsessions and commented:
    the winners…

18. Whatevah says:

So if you don’t have HBO or Showtime your show didn’t win? How nice..

19. andres says:

I dont get it, after this Dexter season how Jeniffer Carpenter didnt even get a best drama actress nomination??

20. soundscene says:

I just can’t with Girls. It’s such a terrible show (in my opinion, of course). I tried to watch it. I tried to like it. I find it grating and annoying. I don’t get why overprivileged, whiny, self-possessed, ambivelent women are supposed to be entertaining. There’s barely a redeeming quality among them, making them unlike any woman I have ever known in any of the four states (red and blue, middle and coast, big city and small city) I have ever lived in. But to each her own.

21. Annie says:

I’m a little surprised at the lack of outcry over the Best Supporting Actor decision. Not that Ed Harris didn’t deserve it — he was eerily fabulous as McCain — but given the lead-up consensus that Patinkin would take it home, it’s odd to hear the crickets this morning.

22. Terry says:

What the eff is people’s fascination with Homeland? It’s not that great. It’s not even really good. The situations on the show are even less realistic /plausible than those depicted on 24, and I don’t remember that show getting award love. I wouldn’t be surprised if next year the big bad are martians, that’s how ridiculous and out of touch the situations depicted on this show truly seem. It’s not like the acting on Homeland is better than on 24 either. You’re going to tell me the ginger and my so called life are better than Kiefer? Hogwash.

23. Alan says:

the fact that the big bang theory was even nominated invalidates all comedy awards but seriously that and smash over community and louie, thats just a massive joke.
    also a joke downton abbey getting a look in for nominations and nothing for sherlock and specifically benedict cumberbatch, i guess because the voters have the attention span of a gnat and sherlock aired this time last year i cant be that shocked.

24. Your style is so unique compared to other people I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this page.|

25. tyflas says:

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!|

26. Good day! Do youu know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid abbout losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?