Elementary Boss Tackles Super Bowl Sunday Plan, Moriarty's Entrance, Irene Adler and More

Get More: News, Scoop, TCA Press Tour

PilotElementary executive producer Rob Doherty and stars Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu gathered at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Saturday in Pasadena to tout the hit CBS drama’s post-Super Bowl episode. Read on for scoop about the big installment, the introduction of Moriarty and more.

RELATED | Elementary Recap: ‘M.’ Marks the Spot

• “We could not be more excited about it,” Doherty said about landing the “coveted” spot behind the Big Game. “It was a tremendous honor to get it as a first-year show.” In order to appeal to both existing fans and prospective first-time viewers, the hour will feature “a story that we felt that not only was a good example of what the show could be, but also something that our viewers would have fun with.”

• Sherlock’s infamous adversary, Moriarty, is “still coming,” teased Doherty. “We have that to look forward to as we move into the back end of the season.” The EP said he wants “to dollop Moriarty out appropriately,” and following last Thursday’s big mythology reveals, “I foresee us getting a bit more serialized than we have been as we get into the end run for this season.” As for whether the Big Bad will be stunt-cast, Doherty admitted that “it’s tricky business” trying to do so without the news leaking out ahead of the episode. “At the end of the day, we want a tremendous actor,” he added. “It’s probably in the immediate future, but we have a few more weeks before we have to sweat that.”

RELATED | CBS Boss Talks Angus T. Jones Kerfuffle, HIMYM‘s Renewal, Jennifer Esposito’s Blue Exit!

• Is Irene Adler really dead? “She’s alive in my heart,” replied Doherty. “She’s an important element of Sherlock’s backstory. I’d love to have a face to that name. We’ve talked about doing a flashback show [to] see why Sherlock would be drawn to this particular women — she’s got to be pretty unique — so we definitely want to meet her. In that sense, you will see a living, breathing actress reading lines as Irene [in flashback].”

• Scottish actor John Hannah (Damages, Spartacus: Vengeance) will be introduced as Sherlock’s old dealer from London. “The window into Sherlock and his experience in London will be opened that much wider,” Doherty previewed, adding that he’d love to have both Roger Rees and Vinnie Jones back as Allistair and Sebastian Moran, respectively.

• Have no fear, Sherlock and Watson still aren’t hooking up — a prospect Doherty will seemingly have to shoot down in each and every interview. “People will always anticipate that. Many people will be desirous of that,” he allowed. “But we love to defy expectations on this show. For as long as I’m a part of the show, it’s not something I will want to see, mostly because I don’t think we need it.” Miller then joked: “We just cut the sex scene. We took a dial and we moved it to ‘Back.’”

Comments (38)

• We’ll see how long this “No shipping between Watson and Holmes last” One thing I know is that Shippers will not be denied…

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 12, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s the thing about shippers…the can be obsessively persistent and obnoxious BUT they don’t stop watching. As long as (in their minds) there is a chance, they will still watch the show. I wish producers and writers would realize this and stop pandering to them.

Comment by Lilly – January 13, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it would be disrespectful to the source material to even consider the idea of those 2 getting together. I’m glad they won’t do it.

Comment by Charley – January 13, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I first heard about the show and a female Watson, I was in the “never, never, not freakin’ ever” camp regarding a Sherlock/Watson hookup. But now…
    Look, as a viewer, seeing two gorgeous actors with such amazing chemistry week after week, I’ve slowly but surely come around to the other side.
    I think it’s good that Rob Doherty is being completely clear and transparent on that point that it’s not in the cards so there’s no “will they-won’t they” there, but… *sigh* consider me converted. If only because Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu would make one of the sexiest couples on TV.

Comment by DL – January 12, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My question is why do they need to get together? I just don’t see how them getting together would benefit the show in any way. I also see them as friends and haven’t seen a hint of romantic feelings from either of them.

Comment by Zak – January 12, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, they don’t need to get together; but the thrill of budding love, and all the angst that goes with it, keeps people interested even when the weekly mystery isn’t all that original or interesting. People want to believe in storybook love and romance; probably because so few relationships are storybook.

Comment by taliesin – January 12, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I see your point taliesin but the thing is we already have this on practically every single show on television already. It would be nice to have a show that actually bucks the trend for a change.

Comment by Amiee – January 13, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about the joy of a budding friendship. Are you telling me people only went to see the Sherlock Holems movie because Watson married some woman? No, it was the comradery between the two male leads. Just like Butch and Sundance, The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Starsky and Hutch, Crocket and Tubbs, and plenty of others. Just because it’s a woman this time doesn’t mean they have to be in a romantic relationship.

Comment by Jackson – January 13, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still in the “never, never, not freakin’ ever” camp.

Comment by Renee – January 13, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice job avoiding really answering the question about Irene. So she’s totally alive, right?

Comment by Gilda – January 12, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you get all the answers now then where’s the mystery for the future? :)

Comment by taliesin – January 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed as well that it was a vague reply. Also, didn’t Sherlock say that after M killed his victims, the bodies were dumped and sometimes never found. If Moriarty was copying M to implicate him in Irene’s murderer, presumably her body might never have been found. So I think there is a very strong possibility she’s alive. I guess we’ll find out eventually.

Comment by Elena – January 12, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the novel Irene fakes her own death. There’s a big possibility that she also faked her death here. And yes, many of Moriarty’s victims’ bodies never turned up. They were assumed dead based on the amount of blood found at the crime scene; which can be prepared for if you’re going to fake your death.
        My guess is that she is still alive and will turn up sometime later in the series. I also postulated that Irene could be Moriarty in the TV series. It would be a nice change of pace to have a female Moriarty – and why not since we have a female Watson? And what could be more devastating to Holmes then to find out the only woman he loved was his greatest enemy?

Comment by taliesin – January 12, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Irene as Moriarty is interesting but I don’t think it will happen. My guess is she will appear in the season finale at the last moment.

Comment by Russ – January 12, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Irene never faked her death in the books (and actually only appeared in one short story). Where do people get this idea from? BBC Sherlock? Stop assuming that BBC Sherlock is faithful.

Comment by Cress – January 12, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well that’s better than think this crap is.

Comment by Go make your own series, stop raping U.K ones. – January 12, 2013 11:46 PM PDT
    • Especially since he’s said we will see her in flashback, they can then avoid having the credits “ruin” her return. “Oh the actress who plays Irene is in this, must be a flashback.” *Irene appears in person* “What a surprise!”

Comment by madhatter360 – January 12, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I’m glad he’s so anti-them getting together, because that means he’ll steer clear of the God-awful shipping tropes most shows fall into and I can ship them in peace, the same way I did Mulder and Scully back in the day. The strongest ships are actually the ones the showrunners don’t realize they’re writing. :)

Comment by Trix – January 12, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a bit bummed that it sounds like Irene is really dead :(.

Comment by Josh – January 12, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Sherlock and Joan, they are SUCH an awesome duo. Not shipping them romantically. Completely agree with the writers on that one.

But Irene being dead? I mean. That’s just stupid. I’m more than bummed! I Even the mention of her name gives me tingles. It would be an amazing storyline. She is one of the best characters in Sherlock Holmes. I just am holding out that the writers are savvy and smart and will introduce Irene, in the past AND in the PRESENT. She’s just too amazing!

Seriously just watching Sherlock when it’s anything to do with Irene I get excited. And they haven’t even cast her. I WANT, WANT, WANT IRENE ADLER ALIVE! It’s one of the elements of the show which I wouldn’t want to live without.

Comment by Katie – February 25, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, everyone will remember that some of the best Holmes stories were written AFTER Moriarty’s death. So, we whack Moriarty, then move on in the series, right? Oh, the Miller Liu combo is great! Forget the shipping, they’ve already sailed. There is more caring and intervention levels going on than in most marriages, she with her surgeon disaster and he with his functioning disaster. This show is about relationship (and figuring out the puzzle).

Comment by prish – January 12, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they are not going to hook them up. They need to stay a old married couple without the sex.

Comment by Shannika – January 12, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously!! Them getting together would be the WORST. When she held his hand Thursday night it just felt wrong/off somehow. I can’t wait to meet Moriarity, Mycroft, see who has really been texting Watson (IS it Dad??) and see Holmes with Irene. I hope they cast these parts well. I do love John Hannah…

Comment by CrimsonNClover – January 12, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Perfectly put :D

Comment by Annika – January 13, 2013 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “dollop Moriarty out appropriately” &“getting a bit more serialized” – yay to this, and I do hope it means we’ll get some 2parter eps.

btw: to the Sherlock ptb, maybe it’d be just for me but please let us have an ep which is 90%+ Sherlock and Watson locked in a room engaging in a whole load of verbal intercourse – cos I love it when it’s just them hashing things/solutions out together, makes this show one of the few multi-watchables.

Comment by Fido – January 13, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s really sweet people actually believe him…

Comment by silurian – January 13, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not all about them shipping Sherlock and Watson, but one hot night would not be bad. They are both so evolved (in a good way) I think it could be accomplished without leading to a relationship. Shippers, however, would not be able to leave it at that.

Comment by Karen – January 13, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will stop watching if they hook up.

Comment by moon – January 13, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of them being friends and nothing else. I agree with whoever posted about if it were two males we would be fine with being about comradarie and nothing sexual. It seems like every show on tv these days has some sort of will they/ won’t they storyline. The truth is there are plenty of great male/female working partnerships in the world, that do not involve sexual tension. I think back to the first few seasons of Law and Order SVU when Elliot was still married, I much preferred their relationship/partnership as colleagues, then in later seasons where it seemed like they had more emotional and sexual tension.

Comment by LindsayHayes82 – January 13, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching this episode, here’s a plot twist for everyone to think about. What if Sherlock’s father is Moriarty?

Comment by Greg – January 13, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • moriarty?
    james marsters.

Comment by stevie – January 13, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that you put this idea in my brain, I will no longer be satisfied with anyone else! James Marsters was just on Wedding Band this weekend and it reminded me of how much I miss him being on my tv every week!!

Comment by Rain – January 14, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Andrew Scott for Moriarty.

Comment by Becky – January 15, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jupiter’s c*ck is going to on Elementary? YES! YES! YES!

Comment by J – January 14, 2013 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say Benedict Cumberbatch for Moriarty! Jonny and Ben are mates, so why not? Besides, can you image how many minds would be messed up by that?

Comment by linc – January 16, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why watch this when the BBC’s Sherlock is utter, utter perfection? Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman cannot be topped when it comes to the perfect Holmes and Watson.

Comment by Arthur – January 22, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also concur that Holmes & Watson should never hook up. Their unique working/living relationship is very well conceived and presented every episode.

Do not bring Irene back to life in any way. The emotional weight of who she was & what she meant to Holmes was heartbreaking and brought me a lot closer to Holmes’s character & even moreso when you found out she was murdered.

Moriarty needs to be a somewhat well known brit actor, and a man. I would vote for Jason Isaacs because he is very talented and is close to perfect for The Professor.

I miss Awake.