Showtime Boss Defends Homeland's Second Season, Announces Early Return For Dexter

Homeland Season 3 and Dexter Season 8Dexter is set to make a killing this summer.

Showtime boss David Nevins announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour that the the hit drama will debut three months earlier than usual on Sunday, June 30 at 9/8c, where it will lead into the new drama Ray Donovan.

Homeland, meanwhile, will stay put in the fall. Its third season will bow Sunday, Sept. 29, before the premiere of Masters of Sex.

RELATED | Homeland Season 2 Finale Burning Qs Answered! Plus: Did the SNL Spoof Sting?

Speaking of Homeland, Nevins defended the show from a handful of very vocal TV critics who complained the Emmy winning drama veered off course in Season 2. “I really liked Season 2,” he said. “I think it started really strong and it ended really strong… Some of the criticism seems fair. [But] suspension of disbelief is the scaffolding all storytelling is based on. I have enormous confidence in the people that write and perform that show [and believe] that it will maintain its quality.”

Regarding the uncertain future of Damian Lewis, whose character Brody ended the season on the run, Nevins said if producers decided it was creatively necessary to write him off the show he “would have to” go along with it, adding, “Everything on that show is vigorously debated. If at the end of that debate, it made sense storywise, I could conceivably say yes.”

Other highlights from the exec session (including some additional premiere dates):

RELATED | First Dexter Season 8 Spoilers Have Arrived — Do They Signal The Beginning of the End?

* Nevins stopped short of declaring Dexter‘s upcoming eighth season its last. “I’m not making any announcements today about when Dexter will end,” he said. “I think I will clarify [things] before Dexter goes on the air [in June]. There’s a clear endgame in place, [but] I can’t talk about it just yet.”

* Matt Damon will guest star in Season 2 of House of Lies (which premieres Sunday). “He stars as himself,” Nevins revealed. “He comes to those guys trying to figure out how he can get a charitable organization so he can compete better with [George] Clooney.”

* The Real L Word will likely be repackaged as a documentary. “I want to keep the franchise going,” said Nevins. “I’ve been talking [to producers] about exploring lesbian culture in places [other then] New York and L.A. Places wheres the subculture is not so defined and it’s maybe not so easy.”

* Episodes’ third season will premiere in early 2014 and will be “farily split between London and Los Angeles.”

* The Big C: Hereafter – a four-episode conclusion to the Laura Linney drama – premieres April 29.

* Nurse Jackie and The Borgias return Sunday, April 14.

1. Superhero says:

Bit surprised that they’re breaking up Dexter and Homeland, but I think it’s the right move. Homeland can survive on its own, and now Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex can have the best possible lead-ins.

But for the love of all that is holy, Showtime, please make season 8 of Dexter the last. Enough is enough.

• DL says:

I agree with you on Dexter, but also I can’t help but feel the Showtime execs are putting the cart before the horse. They must have some pretty heavy selective amnesia if they’re forgetting how much convincing (and cash) it took for Michael C. Hall to re-up for Seasons 7 and 8. And he made it pretty clear he wants to be done with the show after that, as I recall.

2. jimbo says:

Nothing wrong with Homeland S02 for me. I just hope they answer all open questions at the beginning of S03 (especially how Brodys car got in front of the building).

3. Sam says:

I liked season two of Homeland but not as much as the first. There were about 2 episodes that were just so boring to me but overall I enjoyed it. People criticize too much and don’t just enjoy!

4. I thought it would come to this, because Dexter and Homeland are their biggest gainers and considering Dexter ending (I think it’s time) now is the time to make some new hits.

5. Rrrrrr says:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with season 2 of Homeland. Did I like it as good as the first season? No. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t one of the very best programs on air last year. I haven’t spoken to, or read a review of someone who hated season 2, or even moderately disliked it.

• Rrrrrr says:

Sorry, I meant “did I like it as much”, not as good. Terrible grammar.

• Adam says:

I have yet to see it, but I’ve heard mixed things on the second season whereas I’ve only heard great things about the first. The mixed comments normally center on it being less realistic or plausible than the first for whatever reason. That said, even the people and critics who say mixed things still rated it as one of their top shows.

• Drofib says:

Is it over-the-top? I’ll admit that a few things strained credibility. But that in no way cheapened Homeland, and if you’re going to sit down and watch a TV show, you have to give them a little bit of leniency. It’s not entirely realistic, nor is it meant to be.

• stef says:

I can’t tell by your comment if you’re going to/considered watching Homeland. When it initially aired, I watched it for about 10 minutes and was bored to tears. A friend of mine kept telling me to give it another try. So I did. Can’t stop thanking him for encouraging me to try it again. I love the show. Easily one of my favorite shows! The only two cents I will give you is to approach it with a clear mind. Yes, season 2 had some ‘mixed’ reviews but not everyone was disappointed. (and I’m NOT slamming those who felt some disappointment from season 2…I really don’t mean that in a rude way) I just wouldn’t want you or anyone else out there who is thinking of starting this series to not because of mixed reviews…go into it with a clear mind…you might not be disappointed!

• Laura says:

My sentiments exactly. But I continued to watch S2 and the last 2 episodes made up for it. They were excellent.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Exactly. Maybe it wasn’t perfect, but it was still the best thing on the air. I think when a show has an amazing season as Homeland did their first season, people get their expectations set too high for the next season. It can be difficult for a show to meet those expectations. Plus certain people (let’s just call these people “snobs”) vocally enjoy hating a popular show just because other people love it.

6. Rico Swavvy says:

The same critics that ragged on Homeland were also the ones that drooled over that turd The Killing, so I think the problem is the critics, not Homeland.

• Superhero says:

I can promise you, that’s completely untrue. I’ve seen several critics who disliked The Killing criticize certain things that the show did in season 2. And for the record, I liked season 2, in spite of its flaws. But don’t criticize other people just for having different opinions than yours.

7. steve says:

To me his comments of ill clarify if season 8 is dexters final season before it airs suggests to me one side is pushing for another season aka the network and the producers want to end it with 8 so they’ll talk some more and come to a decision before june atleast that’s what it says to me.

8. Di says:

I LOVE Homeland and Damon Lewis (Brody) is my draw card! Whilst I really love all other characters and the storyline I am unsure if I could watch it without Brody. I also think there is a place to develop his character even more…what a great actor this man is!!

• English Guy says:

And yet you can’t even spell his name ;)

I agree though, having Homland without Damian Lewis would be like 24 without Kiefer Sutherland or The West Wing without Martin Sheen. He’s integral to it – even if that does potentially mean a shorter shelf life for the show, as I’d concede there’s only so far they could conceivably take him.

• AGM says:

I’m sorry, but I have to do it. If you’re going to criticize someone for his/her incorrect spelling, please make sure you’re spelling important words correctly as well. It’s “Homeland,” not “Homland.” :) Other than that, I agree with both your comments. Homeland without Damian Lewis will be a little heartbreaking.

• Darlene Crider says:

I agree. I think if Damien Lewis leaves, viewers will also leave! Love Claire Danes and others in the cast, but Brody holds our interest more. He was the star interest in “Band of Brothers”- a superb actor.

9. Alienate says:

I Loved Homeland S1. I “only” Really Liked S2. Looking forward to Homeland S3 and Ray Donovan looks good. The Sex one… not so much.

10. Brock says:

I’m imagining they’ll do for Dexter what they’ve done with The Big C, they’ll renew it for one more season of a few movie-length episodes to wrap it all up.

• Superhero says:

Highly doubt that. They’re doing it with The Big C because they want to appease the people behind the show but can’t justify giving it a full season due to the ratings.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

Don’t tease me, Nevins, just bring back Brody. I would probably still watch the show without him, but I wouldn’t like it near as much. I’m incredibly in love with the character. He is my favorite character on any TV show. I’m not ready to give him up.

12. Buddy says:

His comments about Dexter seem to imply that it is ending, but that they want to save the announcement for a better PR moment closer to the premiere of the season.

13. Anna says:

I dislike this decision. I had the perfect thing going with switching between the channels, have HBO for Game of Thrones and True Blood, then switch to Showtime for Dexter when True Blood ends….now I will have to both at the same time. How unfortunate.

14. Midori004 says:

AMC are you listening to Showtime?

The boss of SHowtime goes “I trust whatever the Homeland writers do”, because it’s a popular show and you don’t screw with it’s creators.

Got that AMC? Stop screwing up Walking Dead, Mad Men and Breaking Bad!

• Teag says:

Yeah AMC. Listen to the creators and writers.

• James says:

The Execs at AMC are tougher than they need to be at times, but nothing is wrong with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or The Walking Dead. All three shows are at the top of their games.

I know they cut down The Walking Dead’s financing for Mad Men.
      I know they wanted to end Breaking Bad 8 episodes and 1 year earlier.
      I know they fired the show-runner that got The Walking Dead back on track.
      I also know that they have never been a rich channel, and that their quality programs are VERY EXPENSIVE to make.

@%$# AMC’s Original Programming slate only started 5 years ago! It will take YEARS before ANY of their shows actually Break Even.

There have been times when AMC has stood up for its shows:

They fought for their programs reputations with DISH Network and Won.
      Also, before Breaking Bad began to get more audience attention, after it’s 3rd Season, AMC kept pushing the “ratings impaired” show through to re-newel because of its quality and critical praise. As someone who watched the pilot while it aired, I am very grateful for the opportunity that AMC gave Breaking Bad to grow. SO ARE YOU! Another channel might not have done that.

Lets be honest. Right now, all three shows are doing great.
      Breaking Bad gets to end the way it wanted.
      Mad Men has everything it needs.
      And The Walking Dead will be successful even if YOU are writing the show!

AMC, no sweat.

15. Jan says:

I loved Season 2 of Homeland as much as Season 1. I hope they keep Brody around.

16. Shein Die says:

no no no #Dexter has its highest ratings now … keep it on the air for several more seasons … I speak for millions of fans!! =)

• Kat says:

You don’t speak for me. It’s time for it to end gracefully.

• Superhero says:

Ending gracefully isn’t an option anymore. The best it can hope for is to not completely destroy the legacy of the first four seasons. But damn if these past three seasons haven’t tried their hardest to do just that. Especially season 6. *vomits*

• Bailey says:

I agree.

Except I hated season 5 more than season 6. ;)

This needs to be Dexter’s last season. Season 7 had a “lets start wrapping things up” feeling to it anyway.

17. Shein Die says:

#Homeland …. keep Brody … no Brody down the line = lost fans

18. Bailey says:

Well played, Showtime.

I used to only buy it for the Dexter/Homeland 3 month schedule. Now I have to pay for Showtime for 6 months. Well played.

• JeniLee says:

That was my first thought too. Now I have to pay for SHO for 36 freaking months between Dexter Homeland and Shameless. So pissed

19. Kate says:

I can’t imagine Homeland without Brody. CD & MP are great but DL is the reason I tune into the show. No DL, no me as a viewer.

20. Ana says:

I’m disappointed that we have to wait until the summer for Ray Donovan. As far as Brody in Homeland, I really do hope that they write him off. His morality and values are so skewed that it’s hard to see him as any kind of hero. Not to mention that he seems to bring out the worst in Carrie. And also, I really like Jessica with Mike.

21. Whatever says:

Boo Showtime ! It will be another year before Episodes comes back

22. Kev says:

Michael, do you know why there won’t be new, um, episodes of “Episodes” in 2013? New seasons of “Episodes” usually start at the beginning of the year.

23. This is my first time go to see at here and i am in fact pleassant to read everthing at one place.|

24. papaka says:

This post gives clear idea for the new people of blogging, that actually how to do running a blog.|

25. Anonymous says:

Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming over again to read additional news.|