Fangtastic News: The Vampire Diaries May Spawn Klaus-Centric Spin-Off The Originals

THE VAMPIRE DIARIESThis spin-off idea is truly Original.

The CW is developing The Originals, a The Vampire Diaries spin-off featuring the vampire/werewolf hybrid Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan), our sister site Deadline reports.

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Channels The Breakfast Club! Plus, Damon Coaches Jeremy

The April 25 episode of the hit CW series, which will be penned by executive producer Julie Plec, will serve as the backdoor pilot for the potential series. In it, Klaus returns the French Quarter of New Orleans, a supernatural melting pot that he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel.

Phoebe Tonkin will reprise her role as recently introduced werewolf Hayley in the special installment.

While discussing Klaus’ evolution, Plec told TVLine that he “will continue to be a very complicated character. Much like Damon in the first couple seasons, when he feels backed up against the wall, he lashes out in very, very destructive ways. It makes it impossible to forgive. And yet, the redemption of Klaus as a character-long arc is something we always talk about.”

If it’s ordered to series, The Originals could air as early as next season.

1. Reblogged this on My Tiny Obsessions and commented:
    Interesting!

• Leo says:

TVD has been a sinking ship, so they’re smart to explore the choice of a spin-off. I’m not a big fan of Joseph, but if the spin-off will have Rebekah, Elijah and Kol too, why not?
      Heck, I’ll even drop TVD and just focus on this spin-off.

• JC says:

Sinking ship? Based on what? It’s still the highest rated show on The CW!

• Russ says:

I hope Rebekah is apart of this so she can get more screen time and not just be the vampire who always gets daggered. and Phoebe Tonkin is a little random but I do love her, just hate how they wrote her character on TVD hopefully his backdoor pilot will redeem her in some way.

• Jason says:

I’ve loved it this season. The whole Elena as tortured vamp has been awesome. The Jeremy chosen one thing is admitedly pretty silly and a complete ripoff of Buffy but I still really enjoy the twists and turns of every episode!!

• BonnieFan1986 says:

TVD is a sinking ship! Its losing fans and its losing them fasr. There may be some of you who are satisfied with the way things are going, but there are a lot of people who are just over this show, because it makes absolutely NO sense! Turning Elena into a vampire -which is pretty much a heightened whinier version of herself- was a huge mistake. This whole site bond is crap. I hate Delena, but if you couldn’t give them a real legitimate reason for being together, then don’t put them together! All that build up last season for them to just stick a sire bond between them is a slap in the face to their fans (although, I could care less about the majority of them; still seems unfair). This whole cure sis a waste. Why would they be searching for a cure now? Oh, that’s right!! Elena’s a vampire now and since the whole world revolves around Elena, everything is only for her. I forgot that! Never mind that her bff and her other bff’s mother was turned. And don’t even get me started on the negligent treatment of Bonnie.

When I saw that the Originals were getting the spin-off, I wanted to be excited because I LOVE them, but then I realized that Julie Plec would be attached to the project. Now I want nothing to do with it. It’s already tainted. Julie Plec has a tendency to ruin good things. So, I want no part of it!

• BonnieFan1986 says:

TVD is a sinking ship! Its losing fans and its losing them fasr. There may be some of you who are satisfied with the way things are going, but there are a lot of people who are just over this show, because it makes absolutely NO sense! Turning Elena into a vampire -which is pretty much a heightened whinier version of herself- was a huge mistake. This whole sire bond is crap. I hate Delena, but if you couldn’t give them a real legitimate reason for being together, then don’t put them together! All that build up last season for them to just stick a sire bond between them is a slap in the face to their fans (although, I could care less about the majority of them; still seems unfair). This whole cure storyline is a waste. Why would they be searching for a cure now? Oh, that’s right!! Elena’s a vampire now and since the whole world revolves around Elena, everything is only for her. I forgot that! Never mind that her bff and her other bff’s mother was turned. And don’t even get me started on the negligent treatment of Bonnie.

• Aimee says:

Then stop watching. It is really simple.

• BonnieFan1986 says:

Oh, there’s a new development! Man, I haven’t thought to do that. I’m so glad you were here to tell me. -_- I haven’t watched this crap since they killed off Connor thank you very much. I read on tumblr about the Originals spinoff…that’s where I get most of my Information.

• Sg. Grant says:

Why do you constantly try to hype your blog in these comments? None of us are reading it.

2. riley says:

klaus just doesn’t fit on tvd anymore and since he is so such a popular character if feel that is why they didn’t kill him. joseph and phoebe are strong enough to lead a series so hope the spin-off actually happens.

3. Kresh says:

WOOOHOOOOOOOO “girl scream” even though I’m not a girl haha!

Joseph Morgan sure does deliver the role of Klaus with elegance, So more screen time for Klaus? You can count me in! :)

4. Amanda says:

Yes please!!! The originals are great on VD and I would love to see Klaus in his own series!

5. Steve says:

LOVE this idea. Would watch this show AND it would give VD some fresh life without having Klaus around so much. Great idea.

6. Daisy says:

Am I the only one that doesn’t really like Klaus? Not even as the guy you love to hate. Now a show featuring Elijah? That I would be all about.

• Erin says:

I know that a lot of people don’t like Klaus, but I kind of love him. Although I’m not sure I would love him as much if he weren’t interacting with all the TVD characters. I’m not sure I would watch a whole show just about him (unless it included the other originials, i.e. Elijah).

• TV Fan says:

I have never been that high on Klaus. I thought he should have been killed off in season three.

• SAM says:

Couldn’t agree more. As soon as I read the headline, my thought was, “Great! That will get him off Vampire Diaries and I don’t have to watch him anymore!” Nothing against the actor; I just think that the character is better in small amounts.

• Anonymous says:

You’re definitely not the only one. The character has never worked for me, but Julie Plec seems to love him and the actor who plays him. I think the spin-off sounds awful, but I’ll be happy if it means Klaus will be seen less frequently on TVD.

• L. says:

Me too! I’m so tired of klaus. I finf him boring. But I’m all for this spinoff to happen if it means then there will be no more klaroline.

7. mac says:

As long as it features Elijah I’m all for it ^^

8. Jen says:

Don’t need Hayley to come along (Caroline should get to kill her, she never gets to kill anyone who does her wrong), but a Klaus spin-off is great news. With graduation around the corner, Caroline is free to leave Mystic Falls. Bex goes where Klaus goes. It could be what’s great about TVD without the annoying triangle or the badly written witchcraft stories.

• Kresh says:

True story ^^

• serena says:

I’m with you. I don’t really care if Hayley is there or not. I just want the Original family: Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, and Kol…

• Sam says:

Agreed!!! Hayley coming seems pointless (Sorry Pheebs!). And I’m so bored with the Stelena/Delena triangle. Maybe they can let Bonnie go to the dark side and fully practice Expression (like Dark Willow)…and after they loose their chance at the cure Stefan decides to leave Mystic Falls to get away from Elena and Damon, so he and Caroline go to college in New Orleans. And of course Klaus comes with. Followed by the other Mikaelson’s.

• Mary says:

I’m all for Caroline joining the spin-off, she’s wasted on TVD.

• Sam says:

I DON’ T want Caroline to go to the spinoff. It wouldn’t make no sense for her to go with Klaus: she hates him. She doesn’t want him.

• Laura says:

So agree!! She’s always hidden behind Elena and never gets any good story lines, the spin-off would be a chance for her to finally be more of a main character.

• Marie says:

What would it be about? Her father is dead. Her mom is a boring sherif. And she is a dependent character. Her screen time revolves around either Elena, Salvatore bros. and tyler.

What more can they add to her character?

If a Caroline show is in the works then the show (ratings wise) would most likely end up like Secret Circle… A flop.

9. Fabian says:

I’m excited for this!! Hope it works out!

10. Jessica says:

This is the article dreams are made of!! More Joseph Morgan…sign me up right now!!

11. emily says:

This can’t happen! spin-offs always sounds good in theory but in reality they usually suck. If he leaves the vampire diaries for a spin off then there will never been any change for a Caroline Klaus relationship, or for a bromance with Stefan to occur!

• Kresh says:

That’s true, I really do love the friendship between Stefan and Klaus so I guess that would be boring to not see :/

• Cassie says:

Angel worked as a spinoff of Buffy

• Brooke says:

Angel was a great spin-off.

And so was Fraiser (for something from a totally different genre)!

• Emily says:

So was Torchwood from Doctor Who. And Private Practice lasted, what six seasons? And lest we forget… the #1 viewed today NCIS is a spin-off of JAG.

• Sam says:

Not to mention NCIS: Los Angeles. or any of the CSI’s. Can we just get a show where the main love triangle is Stefan-Klaus-Caroline and the other Originals follow him to New Orleans?

• Jason says:

YEah but Buffy suffered greatly with the loss of Angel and Cordelia (and Oz and Wesly at the same time)! Anya, Spike and Tara were pretty good replacements but the show was never as good after season 3!

• Court says:

Oz was around for part of S4, and as such Buffy didn’t lose all four characters at the same time. Just putting that out there. And personally I loved S4 and 5. I have my issues with 6 and 7, but to say the show was never the same after S3 is a little like comparing the high school and college era from ANY show that starts in high school. The dynamics change, and the show evolves as the characters grow.

• Mikael says:

I agree. Angel became a great show in its own right and in many ways surpassed Buffy (though the whole Connor storyline made me physically ill) but Buffy definitely was never the same without Angel and Cordelia. And I know I’m probably alone on this, but Xander became so useless they should have killed him off and I never liked Spike as a love interest.

12. Mia says:

AAHHH YES! :D

13. Elaine says:

I will definitely watch if it gets picked up. I don’t quite understand how Hayley will fit into the storyline, and frankly I hate the idea, but I will watch nonetheless. One reason: Joseph Morgan.

14. s says:

This could be good or bad. Good because the originals are awesome and plus it gives tvd a chance to bring on another villain. Bad because depending on who’s writing for it could focus too much on it over tvd and it would hurt tvd in the end

15. Larry says:

Yeah, I really like this idea. Klaus has been too centered on TVD that other characters have kind of suffered not being used enough. I think he is a strong enough character to build a series around so I would be interested in watching both shows.

16. gary says:

Why would Hayley be involved? This is great idea expect for Hayley being apart of it that makes no sense. Now Rebecca and Elijah better be involved

17. Haley says:

Hate this idea!! I love the Originals and Klaus, but I like things the way they are! Truthfully this has a lot to do with my love for Klaroline. They are my favourite couple, when that gets taken away permanently then the show becomes increasingly uninteresting to me and I stop watching. It breaks my heart, but I know I won’t watch either show on a weekly basis if they do this.

• Diva says:

Karoline ARE NOT a couple and I would stop watching the show if they were, not because I don’t like them as a couple but because it would mean the writers have succumbed to the viewers desires instead of focusing on the actual characters and what they would actually do. This show has suffered already because of it (Klaus still being alive and now can never be killed). The writers have written themselves into a corner and if this show is the only way to get rid of Klaus then I’ll take it. I’ll still try the new show just to see what direction they’ll be going with it.

• Cros says:

LOL, You mean once Klaus is taken away, not Klaroline. Caroline stays, Forwood is endgame. And I dont even ship it. Klaroline fans need to get their heads out of the clouds and be realistic.

• Mina says:

I don’t ship Fowoord but I still find Tyler and Caroline cute together, he makes her so happy and he is the first person that truly loves her for who she is and I Iove that. Klaus doesn’t even know Caroline, he is only in love with the chase, the fact that he can’t have her makes him want to chase her and that’s it. If he was able to make her fall for him he would either grow tired of her or treat her the same way he treats Rebekah. The difference is that if he kills Caroline-like he does all the time with Rebekah who is the person he loves the most in the world- she is not coming back.
        I love Caroline and I don’t want her to go through this again. Damon was enough, thank you.
        So if this spinoff makes Klaroline impossible I’ll be very happy.

18. Joyce says:

NOOO . . . won’t be able to see Stefan with Klaus – their scenes are the best!

Unless Stefan decides to leave Mystic Falls to be Klaus’s wingman on the new show.

19. If think it can be okey IF Caroline is in it.

20. bernstein says:

i LOVE IT!!!! i cant get enough Joseph Morgan on TVD and i love Elijah and Kol too .:) im really curious about Klaus’ werevolf father and it would be great to meat Henrik :) BUT i dont want Hayley there!!!!!!!! she is an absolute NOOOO for me! its just i will miss Klaus on TVD cos im a huge Klaroline shipper and Klefan are fun! plus i dont really like the flashbacks and looks like this show will be about them!

21. Nicole says:

Love this idea bit only if Caroline goes with him!

22. Amanda says:

this is such a tool to kill off Klaroline. So I’m completely torn.

23. s says:

I don’t know why everyone keeps hating on the triangle or going on about Klaroline. How did you people even last this long with the show if you hated the main 3 so much? its always been about them. And Klaroline? they aren’t even a couple and sure there is chem but long way to go before its a love story

24. laura says:

NO. KLAROLINE WILL BE GONE. i probably wont watch TVD anymore if this happens.

25. Shannon P. says:

I actually kind of like this idea cuz although I’m sick of Klaus on Vampire Diaries, I think . his backstory is pretty interesting and you’d have tons of potential stories. I hope Rebecca and Elijah will be involved somehow, even if they’re just recurring characters. I’m not sure how Hayley fits into all of this. Seems like it’d be a waste not to add Charlotte, that vamp that Damon had a sire bond with, since she already lives in New Orleans. I think her brand of crazy would be perfect with Klaus.

26. rachelle says:

ummmm how many of us predicted this?? I stopped watching TVD, but I’d totally watch a Klaus spin-off. and I want Caro to go with him [although I doubt this'll happen]! I love Klaroline. plus I want Elijah on there. I’d love for this show to actually happen.

27. Irena says:

Pfft, a Bonnie centered spin off would be much better IMO. She is criminally underused on TVD and there’s so much left to explore with her character. Send her to New Orleans where she opens up a shop or something and investigates supernatural crime on the side. Focus on witches with important appearances by vampires and werewolves.

p.s. Bring Kol along as a main character and possibly Jeremy too as her two main love interests. XD

• Jazzz says:

Dreaming right, Plec would never give Kol to Bonnie. Hasnt this been made clear.

She would happily throw away jeremy though and some other new character, and there you have your two love interest for Bonnie.

28. RobMF says:

As long as Rebekah stays on The Vampire Diaries fine by me. Love her character, not a fan of Klaus. So this could be awesome.

29. Sam says:

I’m not sure I’d watch but I’ll be happy to see them move on from The Originals storyline, it’s kind of dragging the show down now.

30. Sarahii says:

I’m not feeling this at all :/

31. Elyse says:

yes!!!!!!!! love this news

32. Kalee says:

I love TVD, but this sounds like a terrible idea. Spinning off the show’s greatest antagonist? Some TVD fans need to let go of this notion that Klaus could be more interesting if he wasn’t a constant threat to Elena and Co. He wouldn’t and his character’s impact would be diminished.

33. William says:

I’ll put up with just about anything that involves Klaus leaving Mystic Falls. His time on the show should have expired a long time ago. The writers spent so much time last year attempting to fit the Originals into Mystic Falls that it led to a number of lead characters being put on the backburner (Jeremy, Tyler, Bonnie, etc). I’m perfectly fine with the Originals getting their own show because it’ll allow VD to focus on something else.

34. Grace says:

I hope this means a LOT more Kol and Rebekah!

35. Annie-C says:

Love the idea. Just really hope Rebekah and Elijah would be part of it. Even though Daniel Gillies is already a regular on a summer tv show and probably couldn’t be in every episode of both.

36. rty123 says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This will destroy Klaroline! And the Stefan/Klaus scenes are fantastic.

37. A says:

This is exciting news I hope it works out I love his character and there is so many ways that can go with him.

38. Gilda says:

Can they bring Candice?

39. Dominique says:

I’ve been wanting an Originals spin-off since late season 2, especially after the other siblings were introduced in season 3. But I do NOT want a spin-off focussed on Klaus. Out of all the Originals, he’s the least interesting one. His death already long overdue on TVD, but now they actually give him his own show? The only positive thing I can find about this is that he’ll at least be gone from TVD, and hopefully Elijah will get to shine again.

40. AcE says:

Thank God, Klaus doesn’t fit in VD anymore and this will officially end Klaroline. So Yay!

41. Eliza says:

Hmm. I do love Joseph Morgan but I don’t know ultimately how interested in this I’ll be. And I hope if this makes it to series it doesn’t come at the expense of a CW show I love (like HoD).

• Sam says:

Maybe it will fill Gossip Girl’s or Emily Owen’s slot. But I love Wade and the rest of HoD too. I’d hate to loose them just to make room for this show.

• Isn’t The Carrie Diaries already replacing Gossip Girl? And as for Emily Owens, the Cult still has yet to premiere… but there’s still time for one or both of those to fail by May. It’s probably too early to speculate where it would land assuming it’s picked up.

42. darcywilson says:

Good, then maybe TVD can go back to S1-2 levels of awesome, because I am soooooo over Klaus at this point. He’s boring and has no real purpose anymore… They really should’ve killed him last season because his story is just… nothing.

43. Sunny says:

I get it. In order for a show to last, the “heroes” can’t be complete goody-goodies all the time and the “villains” can’t be straight up evil all the time. However, I don’t think Klaus can be completely redeemed and I can’t stand how the writers are attempting to do that very thing. Yes, Klaus has major mommy-daddy and abandonment issues. But the man is still a psychopathic, evil murderer. God only knows how many people Klaus has killed and tortured during his 1,000 years on Earth. In trying to display the different layers of Klaus, I feel as if the terror he evokes is being minimized. Klaus is evil and he needs to be stopped. With that being said, I would definitely be on board with the spin-off show if Elijah was the main character.

• Sam says:

And how many people has Stefan killed? He once slaughtered a whole town. “The ripper of Monterrey”. And Damon basically raped Caroline during his time with her, and we know he’s killed at least twenty people just while he’s been on the show, not including one’s before then. Elijah once threw coins into a busy coffee shop uncaring if he hurt anyone and was Klaus’s right hand man for many hundreds of years…to think he is not just as much a killer is strange. Kol takes pleasure in killing as does Rebekah…and you don’t seem to want them put down. Heck even Elena has killed multiple people and you still like her. And so has Bonnie and nearly every character on this show. Sure Klaus is probably the worst of them…but if all of our other characters have been redeemed somewhat why can’t Klaus? His redemption will only mean more because he was so ruthless in the beginning.

• Kirsty says:

I think Klaus can be redeemed but I hope the writers don’t mess up how they do it. That’s what’s worrying me but I am looking forward to the pilot episode of the spin off the episodes that surround it.

44. Danielle H. says:

Wow.. in fandom we’ve called this for awhile but I didn’t think it would really ever happen! I am torn though. Would this really be a good thing? Could they do it right? And who would go and actually be on it? Just so many what ifs. 4/25 will be the telling day. The tone of that episode will make or break this.

45. sls says:

Love this! But I think it really needs to focus on all of the Originals, not just Klaus. 1000+ year old vampires need to be moving on to “older” and better things and leave the high schoolers behind. The idea that vampires as old as the Originals would continue to hang around with the young kids after the Doppleganger/blood source plot line ran its course would have been stupid.

Now, The Originals can, hopefully, explore darker, more mature plot lines with deeper, more significant relationships. Sure I enjoyed the hints at a Klaroline ship and have enjoyed Klaus and Stefan’s weird relationship and even could appreciate Rebekah’s mild interest in Matt. But 1000 year old vampires really need to engage with older, more mature (and hopefully supernatural) characters long-term.

The broken bad-boy always pulls on my heartstrings so a Klaus redemption that isn’t drawn out on TVD sounds kicka** to me!

46. charissa29 says:

If Candace Accola and Rebekah are in the spin-off then it will be perfect. Klaus and Caroline are such fun to watch, and I love Phoebe Tonkin! It would be lovely.

47. Anna says:

I would like this idea but at the same time it would mean he would have to leave Mystic Falls…and that would be no fun.

48. Diz says:

I just love the way he says ripper~!

49. David says:

Um what about Elijah? He’s the real star.

50. Jasmine says:

Hayley? Really? C’mon. When Angel was spun-off he got Cordelia freakin Chase. Surely they can send someone better (*cough* Caroline *cough* BekahKolElijah! *cough*). If not, then surround Klaus with new actors who can breathe new life into new characters.