Scandal: 7 Spoilers on Big Flashbacks, Fitz's MIA Kids and Shonda Rhimes' 'Favorite Scene Ever'

Scandal Season 2 Spoilers Olivia and FitzScandal erupted at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour late Friday when the set of Shonda Rhimes’ ABC hit was overrun by dozens of journalists, all eager to uncover the latest dirt on Olivia Pope & Associates — and score a photo-op with the President!

Herewith are the seven juiciest scoops TVLine walked away with:

RELATED | Scandal Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Fitz’s Father!

A ‘CRIMINAL’ SNEAK | The assembled press screened next week’s fantastic outing,  “A Criminal, a Whore, an Idiot and a Liar,” which answers (via flashback) one of the biggest questions hanging over this season.

BOMBSHELL | A top-secret development in next week’s ep puts Fitz “in a hopeful, excited place where he thinks that anything is possible,” shared Rhimes. “Whether or not he continues to believe anything is possible remains to be seen.”

REWIND | An upcoming episode will reveal “pieces of the flashback [puzzle] that involve Quinn.” (Click here for more on that.)

RELATED | Will Scandal Be Back For Season 3?

D-DAY IS IMMINENT | Teased Rhimes of Mellie’s impending bundle of joy: “America’s Baby is coming sooner than you think.”

ALL IN THE FAMILY  | Rhimes confirmed that viewers will “eventually meet” Fitz and Mellie’s teenage son and daughter (who are currently holed up at boarding school). “It will be interesting to see [Fitz] as a father,” she added. “In the beginning, we didn’t see them because I was worried that if you saw him with his children you would really hate Olivia for having an affair with him. Now I’m no longer concerned about that. You’re rooting for them to be together no matter what.” Rhimes also explained, “I didn’t want to do a bunch of stories about Fitz talking to a 12-year-old girl. That was not my plan… yet. That’s not to say we don’t have plans for that happening in the future.”

THE TRUTH IS (ALMOST) OUT | Rhimes strongly hinted that Olivia would soon come clean to Quinn about her “origin.” “I think eventually there’s going to come a time for Olivia where not telling the truth is going to become more of a burden than telling the truth.”

THE BIG ONE | “There’s really interesting stuff coming with James and Cyrus,” shared Rhimes of the show’s somewhat happily-married gay couple, adding, “One of my favorite scenes I’ve ever written in my entire life is coming up with James and Cyrus. And it’s a BIG one. A lot is revealed.”

1. Fitz has two teen-aged children? Oh, WTF?

• Rrrrrr says:

They were mentioned a handful of times in the first season, but I don’t think their existence has been brought up once this season.

• Sam says:

I think they were mentioned in the hospital? Something about not wanting to pull the kids from school I think. I could be completely wrong.

• Deinara says:

In the flashback episode when Mellie in in the ER she screams where are my children. And in an earlier episode I think she (or someone) and when she came to Olivia’s cabin with Fitz she mentioned that the kids were away at school and she was not used to being in the white house alone.

• Driss1202 says:

They were mentioned in the first episode when Mellie was talking to Olivia in the Oval before Fitz came in and shook Olivia’s hand. :)

• scandalhooked says:

Yes remember in s1 ep6 when Olivia joined the campaign to fix it she had him and Mellie go to the elementary school for parent teachers conference and Olivia has repeatedly asked him about the kids in different episodes and there are pics on his desk and een when he was shot in the hospital scene you could hear Mellie say Where are my children. Also in season 1 the trail when Fitz and mellie was arguing she was mad that she had to have 2 kids for him. lol

• aciel says:

fitz is like in his 50s so it makes perfect sense he’s even old enough to have kids in their 20s

• Robin says:

You must have missed Mellie talking about them going to boarding school and she’s not used to being alone in the residence. She ends up at camp David. Boarding school? Makes u wonder what kind of parents they really are.

• me says:

The kids have been mentioned/referenced plenty and the set director features their photographs in the different sets (where White House and residence scenes take place). On another note, if you’ve never watched season 1 (only 7 episodes) you’re really out of the loop on Scandal even if you think you know what’s going on, e.g., there are people who have no idea who Mellie really is.

• me says:

The kids have been mentioned/referenced plenty and their photos are all over the sets in which White House Residence scenes and Oval office scenes are filmed.

2. rachelle says:

I’M SO EXCITED! I love this show so much I can’t stand it. x_______x

3. What about Olivia finding out that Cyrus hired someone to kill the president’s mistress in the first season?

• Patricia says:

YES! I feel like we have to revisit the Amanda Tanner scandal still. There are many things still left unanswered from season 1

• mrenee says:

Olivia knows this already. Remember the phone call between Fitz and Olivia where she talked about letting Cyrus off his leash? She already knows.

4. moobear says:

It’s probably too late, but can we please start a #savejames
    Shondra loves killing off people, but come on, #savejames could, with enough fan support, maybe stop her.

5. nikki says:

I am so not rooting for Fitz and Olivia. I love Mellie. Screw Olivia

• Anasazi says:

Please. Mellie and Fitz have been cold to each other for years. Blaming Olivia is the easy way out. Can’t wait for Fitz to divorce Mellie and be done with her. They’d both be happier apart from each other, bottom line.

• then i guess there’s no reason for hating edison who is not the reason fitz & liv are not together ;-)

• TVPeong says:

I like Edison, and hope we see more of him. I wouldn’t mind if Olivia moved on from Fitz and ended up with Edison permanently. But as a fan of soaps (daytime and primetime) I understand that on tv, ‘love’ trumps all things, even marriage and children.

• bigdede says:

I also want Liv to be in a permanent relationship except with a good look guy. In the end, Fritz and Olivia can be together.

• mrenee says:

You just hate Edison for being Edison. That has nothing to do with Olivia. He’s an egomaniac who has never exhibitied any signs of concern for Olivia after he convinced her to let him in that one night. And now, more about me……

• scandalhooked says:

I agree and Mellie will always be in his life to cause some misery she is the mother of his children. Dis you guys see that the Baby is coming sooner than we think? I wonder what that means? Is Fitz the baby daddy?

• leelee says:

You’re the only one who loves her….I’m glad she has one fan. Fitz&Olivia forever!!

• Shari says:

I LOVE MELLIE. AND I also love Olitz. You don’t have to hate Mellie to love Liv and Fitz together. Its not mutually exclusive. She really is not a sincere threat to their relationship that way, I feel.

• deadlines says:

Don’t blame Liv, The first couple had problems way before she came along. She helped them get closer; Fitz just wasn’t into. Bottomline there was no love between them. His family had plans for they send him to the right schools, hang with the right people, introduce to the right girls and then they married. He didn’t fall in love until he was in his late 40s, when he met Olivia.

• Emily5120 says:

@Nikki – Really. If not for the sake of “image for politics” the two ABSOLUTELY would not have stayed together. I’m sure if Olivia had not come on the scene, and the Grant campaign had lost, the two would have divorced.

After watching the entire 1st season again on Netflix (I’d forgotten so much – season 1 was so good) it is pretty obvious. This does not mean people have to not love Mellie in order to want Olitz. I LLLLLOOOOOVVVEEEE Mellie! She’s one of my favorite characters… actually, they’re all my favorite, but she is one of the first one’s I gush about.

6. patti says:

Liv and Fitz will be together. Edison and Liv has a past her heart belongs to Fitz and Mellie knows it. just like she know that Fitz loves her. I LOVE THIS SHOW, SHONDRA can I have a walk on part? I tell everyone that will listen about this show. Huck, Love this guy he and Harrison loves and protects Liv. Mellie is about preception, neither she nor Fitz love each other. Get rid of James, he’s becoming all about himself, never mind that what he is doing could hurt his husband.

7. Bern says:

Mellie is strictly with Fitz to further her own political agenda. I don’t think that she is a threat to , or threatened by Olivia & Fitz’s relationship. She won’t let herself be embarrassed though. I think she will play along, as long as she gets what she wants in the end. I’m so happy Fitz woke up! I’m having some moral issues with loving a guy who ” really likes to kill people” and rooting for an adulterous affair! Only Shonda could make me do it!

8. Liu says:

Mellie is superb! I love her in every single thing she does. I even like her more than Olivia.
    And it’s freaking hilarious when Mellie said she had been faking Fitz’s signature for so long and help him with documents that she can do it in her sleep.
    Go Mellie! Go FLOTUS!

9. Kathleen W says:

So, when does SCANDAL get its own icon on the TVLINE “Hot Shows” page?!?

• Lauren says:

ICAM yet while people like it, it never seems to get many comments on TVline. Which always disapoints me. All the GA and Glee and OUAT stuff seems “hotter” here.

• Kathleen W says:

which seems crazy to me! While Scandal just keeps getting better, I stopped caring about OUAT this season altogether. Too many characters to care and the storyline has lost its way on sooooooo many of the “hotter” shows :P

10. Nora says:

I am so hoping that Olivia and Fitz work out, and soon! I like Mellie’s character, she’s a hoot. She and Hollis kinda deserve each other. Having moral issues cause I really like Huck. Such a fab ensemble. I just feel bad for Edison. He is so not right for Olivia!