Ratings: NCIS Hits a Season High, Parenthood Again Tops Time Slot But NBC Sitcoms Plunge

Ratings: NCIS Season HighNCIS returned with a bang this Tuesday night, drawing its largest audience since Feb. 7, 2012 — 20.9 million total viewers — and rising two tenths in the demo from its last fresh episode.

Leading out of that, NCIS: Los Angeles (17.8 mil/3.0) was flat in the demo but delivered its largest audience since Feb. 22, 2011. Vegas (10.8 mil/1.6) added viewers but saw no change in its demo.

RELATED | Tuesday Cable Ratings: Justified Returns High, Cougar Town Solid on TBS

Vegas as usual led its time slot in total audience, but was again out-rated by NBC’s plucky Parenthood (up 12 percent week-to-week to a 1.9, while sliding a smidge to 5.25 million viewers).

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 39 Returning Favorites

Over on ABC, Happy Endings (3.8 mil/1.4 rating) ticked up a tenth in the demo from its last Tuesday outing (and was up 40 percent from Sunday’s telecast), Apartment 23 (3.2 mil/1.1) was flat versus its most recent Tuesday original and up two tenths from Sunday and Private Practice (under 4 mil/1.1) inched down a tenth.

Fox’s Raising Hope (3.8 mil/1.7), New Girl (3.8 mil/2.0) and The Mindy Project (2.8 mil/1.5) were all flat in the demo from their last originals, while Ben and Kate (2.5 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth.

Sandwiched between a double-pump of Betty White’s Off Their Rockers and Parenthood — and with The Voice on the bench — NBC’s Go On (4.3 mil/1.5) and The New Normal (3.3 mil/1.3) dropped 38 and 24 percent, respectively, both hitting series lows.

1. Pat D. says:

They actually took some risks last night with the NCIS arc. Was very impressed—seemed like lately they were dishing out plots that had little or no lasting effect on the main characters.

• M3rc Nate says:

I agree. I bash on NCIS as the prime example of characters not evolving or growing over the course of the 10+ years they have been on the show, but if they do it right, last nights episode could be a catalyst for change.

Im not convienced however that it guerentees it. Kate was killed and it didnt really effect anyone (long term), Tony dated that girl he fell for but after that was all said and done, he didnt really change. So just because Ziva’s dad died doesnt mean we will see anything long term.

Heres to hoping they use Ziva’s dad dying to get Ziva and Tony closer together, which results in them actually being together. And no NCIS writers/showrunner..i dont mean on the series finale…dont screw us like on JAG, getting Ziva-Tony together!

• Pat D. says:

Nah, when I meant plots that dont affect the characters, I meant more in recent seasons, obviously the beginning of season 7 changed them all, and I hardly think you can say the characters are the same as they have been since the end of season 2. It just seems like the story arcs lately havent really taken much risks with main or recurring characters (save the recent one where Gibbs’ old partner/friend was taken out).

But this was a nice (well, not *NICE*, per se, LOL) surprise. I was downright certain they would have Vance walk out of the hospital doors with the safe, tired, cliched ending of “hanging on for dear life” as I mentioned below—it just seems like with a well-established, high rated, wide-appealing series, the producers/writers tend to not like to do anything to “rock the boat”—and that seemed like the tired storylines we got recently.

Or, the “X Main character has Y relative show up and cause issues” cliche they have fallen into lately, LOL.

• Cindy says:

I cried right along with Ziva, it was a jaw dropping episode. Cote was outstanding. As always the whole cast rocks. My favorite all time episode was when they rescued ziva. I am so glad that they are number one. the whole cast works well together. I wish they hadn’t killed off Mike Franks. I loved that character.

2. tp says:

NCIS broke my heart last night.

• KD says:

Mine too…. Poor Ziva, poor Vance. The whole episode was good but the last 5 minutes… Wow! and then Gibbs, just standing there waiting. So well done!

• prish says:

ok, I’m bummed out, too. Couldn’t Jackie have lived with a disability, or some such? I was always charmed by her screen presence. bummer, man

• tp says:

Yeah, I really like that actress. I teared up when Vance said “My wife is dead Gibbs.” I thought Eli would make it by the skin of his teeth and he was lying there dead. Total shock.

3. Stacey says:

I knew once the Voice was gone, the audience would return to NCIS. Although they still had a commanding viewership even with Voice. But still nice to see them back up there over 20 million. Who knew 10 years ago, the show would be confounding critics and doing Friends like numbers in it’s 10th year. And also I knew the arc that they were starting with would likely bring in the viewers. NCIS has for awhile treated January as February. And their November Sweeps was more subtle. So they are going for the bang now! Loved the episode. Very heartbreaking…

4. Svenja says:

Ratings are well deserved. It was one of the most disturbing but brilliant hours of NCIS. The stakes where high. I cannot wait for the next episode. My guess would be that the ratings there will be even higher. But I could be wrong of course. Well done NCIS. I am emotionally destroyed and impressed at the same time.

5. Lincoln says:

An Cougar Town audience numbers?

6. paul says:

And NCIS Didnt Even Warrant a Mention Under What To Watch on Tuesday

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Actually, there were two links in WTW to previous previews. But we won’t take any credit for this surge regardless :)

7. Karen says:

Heartbreaking episode last night. Cote de Pablo was fantastic and gave an award worthy performance.

8. sladewilson says:

No N.C.I.S. recap? Esp. after THAT episode last night? A brilliant heartbreaking episode leading up to what might be one of the most explosive in NCIS history? Y’all just plain wrong….

9. KSM says:

I dont’ know what show that guy in the picture was on last night, but he will always be the guy that cut his own foot off with a chainsaw on Grey’s to me!

• lily says:

That’s Rocky Carrol, he plays Director Leon Vance on NCIS as a series regular. I forgot he was in that episode of Grey’s…

10. sarah says:

So happy for Parenthood and Ben and Kate.

11. yankeesrj12 says:

Parenthood was fantastic last night. Not a terribly sad episode, but so real. Fantastic acting and writing all around. Give ‘em some Emmy love this time!

12. D'Arcy says:

HAPPY ENDINGS!!

13. kendall says:

NCIS was fantastic last night, heartbreaking episode!!!
    Cote de Pablo really shine. I actually cried, ziva crying & praying in hebrew, heartbreaking.

• Savannah says:

Same here. The crying, praying in Hebrew, calling out, “Abba!” – Yep. I cried. I enjoyed the reminiscence and the baby bump stuff with Tony & Ziva. Loved Jackie and Vance last night and only expected one of the two to die. From the shooting on I was perched on the edge of my seat. Great episode from a great NCIS writer. And I’m totally stoked for next week.

• Pat D. says:

I’m actually pleased at the way it ended….the safe way out, (and i was half expecting it given how little risks the show has taken recently) would have been to have the person in question hanging on for dear life, and eventually make a recovery. So happy they didnt take that cliched route, although obviously not *happy happy* LOL.

14. Mika says:

It is crazy. When you look at the combined numbers for all network shows minus the NCIS shows, the result should have networks in a panic. Clearly people are NOT watching network shows the way they used to.

15. Jen says:

NCIS was amazing!! Well deserved ratings, congratulations to all the cast and crew :)

16. Boiler says:

Tuesday has way too much good stuff and Hart of Dixie not even back yet!! Hope they look at DVR numbers for shows on this night especially

17. JBC says:

NCIS still rockin it after 10 years. Last nights episode was excellent and heartbreaking. WOW! They have such a great cast.
    Parenthood: liking the Ray Romano character, and the last scene with mother and son, so very touching.

• Kim R says:

Yes to both. NCIS was great, so well written and acted. I still am believing that Tony and Ziva have already begun a relationship but we’ll see. :) Parenthood was great. I felt for Julia. The truth of how she feels while wanting to be a mother to Victor. And the last scene. Incredibly moving. :)

18. [...] NCIS series on the American television continues to be the best! The audience for the NCIS episode of Tuesday, January 8, 2013 featured on CBS peaked with a total of 20.9 million viewers!  To be continued next week!  Photo 1: Scenes of NCIS – CBS; See official website of NCIS ;  See NCSI TV audience ; [...]

19. Kymberlie Weir says:

Genuinely thought that last nights NCIS was the best of the season, the final few scenes broke my heart. High five to the entire team over at NCIS that was an episode to be proud of! Bring on next week!

20. [...] NCIS series on the American television continues to be the best! The audience for the NCIS episode of Tuesday, January 8, 2013 featured on CBS peaked with a total of 20.9 million viewers!  To be continued next week!  Photo 1: Scenes of NCIS – CBS; See official website of NCIS ;  See NCSI TV audience ; [...]

21. [...] La série NCIS de la télé américaine continue d’être la meilleure! L’audience pour l’épisode du mardi 8 janvier 2013 de NCIS présenté sur CBS a atteint des sommets avec un total de 20,9 millions de téléspectateurs!  A suivre la semaine prochaine!  Photo 1 : Scènes de NCIS – CBS ; Voir site officiel de NCIS ;  Voir audience télé NCIS ; [...]

22. [...] La série NCIS de la télé américaine continue d’être la meilleure! L’audience pour l’épisode du mardi 8 janvier 2013 de NCIS présenté sur CBS a atteint des sommets avec un total de 20,9 millions de téléspectateurs!  A suivre la semaine prochaine!  Photo 1 : Scènes de NCIS – CBS ; Voir site officiel de NCIS ;  Voir audience télé NCIS ; [...]

23. [...] La série NCIS de la télé américaine continue d’être la meilleure! L’audience pour l’épisode du mardi 8 janvier 2013 de NCIS présenté sur CBS a atteint des sommets avec un total de 20,9 millions de téléspectateurs!  A suivre la semaine prochaine!  Photo 1 : Scènes de NCIS – CBS ; Voir site officiel de NCIS ;  Voir audience télé NCIS ; [...]

24. Kat says:

If you want a recap of NCIS check out IMDB.com. Bottom of their home page gives a very good description of what happened.

25. A says:

The new normal was great last night. Matt Bomer definitely needs to return to it as well as Glee. Too funny.

26. Zorkel567 says:

Best episode of NCIS in a while, definetely of this season, so sad, so heartbreaking. I cried a little when Vance said that she had died, still hoping there is a chance Vance lied and she did survive, albeit disabled or paralyzed.

27. Michelle says:

Really glad to see Parenthood continue to show stability in the ratings. It may not be a monster hit by CBS standards, but it’s one of NBC’s best performers and clearly has a loyal fan base. This hopefully bodes well for its renewal chances.

As for Go On and The New Normal, I expected a decline, but they both fell even further than I thought they would. They’re obviously not ready to stand on their own without The Voice leading off the night. It’s also interesting to me that NBC execs have been touting these two all season as examples of their successful new broad comedy approach, but now the Thursday lineup really doesn’t seem so bad in comparison.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Glad you mentioned NBC/Go On-New Normal w/o Voice lead in; I was thinking along the same line. Now we’ll get a chance to see how well GO/NewN can hold up against the other comedies on ABC and FOX. It will be tough going for NBC on Tuesdays for a while – the Off Their Rockers show at 8/8:30 is an acquired taste [to be charitable] – and a difficult lead in for GO/NewN audience. NBC has a lot of holes to fill – they’re hoping Go On & Normal can [at least] hold onto the audience they already have until Voice returns. It will be difficult.

28. wrstlgirl says:

Matt Bomer on The New Normal last night was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen!!

• Deena says:

Plus he was shirtless twice! Never watched the show before but Matt was great. I still have his Glee episode on my DVR because he was so funny!

29. JT says:

Great episode of NCIS but it was so heartbreaking. Whoever hired the guy to kill Eli made a huge mistake. They didn’t just kill Eli but they killed Vance’s wife. Now they have two people gunning for them, Ziva and Vance.

30. Mangochic says:

NCIS left me shocked, flabbergasted and in tears. I didn’t expect that at all. I hadn’t even seen the preview so I didn’t even know Eli would be in it. As the episode went on I thought he would die as his visit seemed like a final goodbye but after he met with the Iranian and made it out alive, I thought he would be safe. Only for the last few scenes to leave me speechless. I was in tears, I didn’t want Jackie to die nor did I want Ziva’s dad to die. Ziva’s and Vance’s scenes were heartbreaking. I hope this season won’t end with Vance dieting or resigning.

31. ziverfan says:

That was a great episode of NCIS,Cote de Pablo deserves an Emmy for her amazing performance.she is the best actress on t.v,just so amazing wow.

32. [...] Associated | Ratings for Tuesday, Jan. 8: NCIS Hits a Season High [...]

33. [...] RELATED | Ratings for Tuesday, Jan. 8: NCIS Hits a Season High [...]