Cable Ratings: Justified Returns High, Cougar Town Solid in TBS Debut

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Cougar TownFX’s Justified came out guns a-blazing on Tuesday night, delivering its second-most-watched episode ever, trailing only its series premiere.

FX also announced at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena that Justified‘s Season 4 opener was up 17 percent in total audience and 25 percent in the Adults 18-49 demo from its previous premiere, and hit series highs in the Women 18-49 demo. (Specific numbers to come later.)

RELATED | Tuesday Broadcast Ratings: NCIS Hits a Season High, Parenthood Again Tops Time Slot But NBC Sitcoms Plunge

On the funnier side of things, Cougar Town‘s TBS debut drew 2.2 million total viewers, with 1.3 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot. For comparison’s sake, TBS’ Men at Work in Season 1 averaged 2.7 mil/1.25 mil (and earned a renewal), while Cougar Town‘s final ABC audience was 3.5 mil.

Comments (25)

• I tried to like Cougar Town but it’s just not my cup of tea.. Yay for Justified!

Comment by Muriel – January 9, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town didn’t record for me so I have to wait until Saturday.

Comment by tp – January 9, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whatever you do, don’t miss the last two minutes. Epic.

Comment by Daisy – January 9, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was so glad my dvr didn’t cut it off. So awesome!

Comment by Tiffany – January 9, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not enjoy watching Cougar Town last night. It’s usually pretty funny, but the jokes on last night’s episode were few felt forced and it had nothing to do with the change of channel. It just felt really flat to me.

Comment by Marc1 – January 9, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I usually lol the whole tome but last night the jokes seemed so forced and a bit tacky. Before the jokes were always pushing the envelope, funny and silly. Last nights episode seemed a bit funny but i was cracking up

Comment by edlow – January 9, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy that they didn’t try to change Cougar Town. Show is amazing!

Comment by SanaA – January 9, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for Justified!

Comment by b! – January 9, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town was amazing…especially the last scene. I heard the next few episodes are even better.

Comment by Liz – January 9, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of both of these programs so “Yay!”

Comment by Eliza – January 9, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @marc1 I have to agree with you. Normally I love this show but it felt forced last night. Hopefully it keeps doing well and they don’t mistreat it like My boys. Cougar town already has way better marketing than My boys ever got. I’ll keep watching it but hope it gets back to the easy funny it had before.

Comment by Liza180 – January 9, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was restarting the show introducing newcomers to the show. It should e back to normal next week.

Comment by Mike – January 9, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much Cougar Town hate. Y’all must have some junk in the trunk.

Comment by Guy – January 9, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Cougar Town last night! I laughed forever at the “junk in the trunk” thing.

Comment by Babybop – January 9, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cougar Town, I’m so glad its back

Comment by juan – January 9, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of cougar town and I’m glad its back. However I will admit that some of courtney cox’s scenes are dampened by her unfortunate use of botox. Was I the only one who found it a bit distracting?

Comment by misha – January 9, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I can even tell when she’s just gotten it touched up…why, Courtney, why?!?!

Comment by Samantha – March 19, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town was so great! I’m so happy It’s back!

Comment by Mari – January 9, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified S4 didn’t disappoint. Looking forward to another fantastic season. My only regret is no Dewey & Dickie this season (per Graham Yost interview I read).

Comment by Elaine Bondra – January 9, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Oh no, my heart is broken now. And I’m suddenly very confused as to why Jeremy Davies’ hair looked like…well, the way it looked at the Emmys. I really thought he was getting ready to play Dickie again.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 9, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! All I want is for Justified to run as long as Yost plans. I think he once said something about 5-7 seasons. If FX pulls a Deadwood… fury.

Comment by Emily – January 9, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fury indeed.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 9, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love me some Cougar Town!! Change Approved!

Comment by Rob – January 10, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so nice to have Cougar Town back in my life :)

Comment by Mikael – January 11, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post