Lying Game Boss on the Emma/Sutton Sister Act, More Mama Drama and Twisty Love 'Quadrangles'

The Lying Game Season 2 SpoilersAfter a nearly year-long hiatus, ABC Family’s The Lying Game kicks off its second season this Tuesday at 9/8c. On the show, however, hardly any time has passed since we last encountered the addictive drama’s devious players — which means that all of that twin-tinged drama is still in full effect the moment we return.

Here, Lying Game boss Chuck Pratt, Jr. chats with TVLine about the journey ahead for sisters-at-odds Sutton and Emma, mystery mom Rebecca and all of those juicy love triangles.

TVLINE | What’s the dynamic between Sutton and Emma this season?
It’s back and forth as each of them begins to realize that they’re changing. Sutton will find herself looking at Emma and wishing she could be more like her. At the same time, you’ve got Emma realizing that she’s slipped so easily into Sutton’s shoes: Is she becoming more dishonest [and] devious? But ultimately both of them are forced to work together as the season goes on to uncover the secrets of what happened to Derek and all of that.

RELATED | Lying Game First Look: Ryan Rottman’s New Bad Boy Bonds – and Bickers – With Ethan

TVLINE | Is there a plan in place to keep Sutton and Rebecca likable, given their increasingly devious nature?
There [won't be] too much moustache-twirling. What we’ve tried to do is explore the concept of what it’s like to find your birth mother and then the sudden realization that maybe she’s not all she’s been cracking herself up to be. At the same time, there’s the question of will Emma find out — or does Sutton need to bring Emma into the mystery? And what happens when Emma needs to confront the woman who gave her up? We do, as the season goes on, explore a woman giving her child up for adoption. We’ll also get into Rebecca’s obvious desire for revenge, because the twins were separated and that’s not something she ever wanted. She’s out to make whoever did this pay.

TVLINE | Is Alec perhaps not the bad guy in all of this?
Yes. He doesn’t ever prove to be a good guy because he’s done some things that will be revealed that are pretty awful — and I’m not sure even redeemable. But in a strange way, we’ll understand that out of loyalty [to] his friend Ted — years ago and today — he’s done a lot of seedy things, but all with a firm belief of holding his family together.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza: The Lying Game

TVLINE | Can we expect to delve deeper into the parents’ backstories?
We’ll peel back the romances going back to [the parents] in high school: What did happen between Alec and Ted and Kristen and Rebecca? That’s a lot of fun because you’ll start to see that there are some parallels there with what’s going on in the present between our protagonists/kids. Are the sins of the father being revisited on our children? … There are also exciting reveals about Alec and Ted; you’ll find things out about both the good dad and the bad dad, mixed with the very human dad.

CHRISTIAN ALEXANDER, ALEXANDRA CHANDOTVLINE | Is there any hope for Emma and Ethan? Or is the plan to explore Emma and Thayer this year?
It’s a classic quadrangle. This season there are two good triangles going on: One is Sutton and Emma both vying for Ethan, and the other is Emma between Ethan and Thayer. I personally have always loved the concept of Thayer as the [girls'] safe choice and Ethan as their dangerous choice — who’s to say which is better and which is worse?

TVLINE | Any other romances to report?
It’s never going to take over, but [Ryan Rottman]‘s Jordan is going to be quickly smitten with Mads, and she with him.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Winter TV Preview

1. Tee says:

No thanks to the “love quadrangle.” I can’t imagine sharing one ex with my sister, much less waffling back and forth between two.

2. Elyse says:

Emma and Thayer :)

3. megan says:

Sick of shows that don’t give their “main” couple a chance.

• jenny says:

if your talking about ethan and emma, i soooo agree! i think ethan and emma should end up together and thayer can go find another girl!!!!

4. partywill32 says:

I am excited for a whole new season of secrets and romances , lust and betrayal !

5. Dizzle says:

At the moment I’m landing much more on Thayer’s side than Ethan, but I think mainly that’s because his introduction and romantic interest wasn’t played as heavily as Ethan’s was during the first season. It’ll be interesting to see that new dynamic played between the two, but I do hope it doesn’t end up with every guy who falls for Sutton ends up choosing Emma.

It also kills me that Kristin doesn’t know anything about the twins yet. I hope this season more people get let in on Emma’s identity, I would hate for it to go the Ringer route and never get to fully realise that reveal.

6. Marissa says:

Love Christian Alexander!! I wasn’t sure I’d ever love him again after watching him as abusive Kiefer on General Hospital. But I love Thayer, definitely rooting for him to get some love interest this season.

7. Caitlin says:

I live Thayer and Emma together! I think they’re perfect for eachother, I never really liked Ethan.

8. Caitlin says:

*love

9. Lauren says:

I got won over to Emma and Thayer as well, hope they give us lots with them this season. Went off Ethan when he kissed Sutton.

10. I really want to see Emma’s reaction to all of this. Rebecca gave the twins up for adoption,and she will want to know why.

11. wednesday says:

I think I’m going to have to go with Emma and Thayer too. Ethan went on my s*** list after he kissed Sutton. And then after seeing the previews where it looks very much like he sleeps with Sutton! Hell no! Stay away from Emma. You can’t come back from that. There are no excuses. Disgusting. I despise Sutton with a passion which goes to show you what a talented actress Alexandra is. I hope they finally let Laurel in on the sister switch.

12. mary says:

I think having Thayer and Ethan want Emma and not Sutton will make Sutton even more cruel. I think Ethan cares for Emma. But he needs time away from both of the girls to sort out his feelings. As for Thayer I think he is really not into Sutton anymore and he will like Emma more. Thayer and Emma would be better then Emma and Ethan or Thayer and Sutton.

13. Christina says:

If Jordan is Rebecca and Alec’s child (like I heard) wouldn’t that make Jordan and Mads brother and sister? That’s just asking for more drama. I hope Jordan isn’t Alec’s son, or I’d feel really sorry for Mads.

As for the issue with Sutton, Emma, Thayer, and Ethan I think is getting to the point that there relationships are moving too fast. The boys are getting more upset at the pace and how their relationships are slipping through there fingers making Thayer have anger problems and making Ethan a possible alcoholic. With the twins, I thinks it’s the whole Emma having feelings for Sutton’s past fling/boyfriend, and that Sutton is hating that they perfer Emma over her.

For a weird reason, I’ve alway thought that there was something up with Alec but not as a bad guy, more like a victim like you get the feel from Ted. Ted and Alec were made into masterminds but I could see that they kind of weren’t. I now know why that was once Rebecca was reviled at the end of season one.

14. Dean says:

Omg, I think Ethan And Emma are meant for each other . Ethan is a better person because of her, unlike Sutton who is really evil. The thought of Thayer and Emma is cute but I think Ethan is just right for her and I hope they get back together. Man this season is going to drive me crazy . I hope Kristen finds out, that they are twins. :)

15. r sorensen says:

Emma n Ethan seem to have a more compatible past.

16. destinirae says:

Ethan and emma all the way they are so right for each other

17. Alrisha says:

As much as this is tv show, writers should keep some reallity in the scrip. Tell me a one single woman that can pass over her sister been with her ex, and be ok with that. That not happend in real life. The ting is no matter how many times you say “I’m ok with that” inside you that’s not true. And to be honest, I’m so no ok with this 2 wonderful, beautiful, smart women, that are suppose to be buildind a sisters bond, keep figthing for a boy that is unable to pass a class o stay out of troubles or the jaild. Thayer is not safe, he got his issues, but at least is smart and really care and respect Emma.

18. sharon says:

i admire emma and ethan’s relationship. they will make a cool couple all they need is for sutton to stay away for a while.and pls when will season 3 begin ? i really love this show!

19. jenny says:

ethan and emma forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate hate hate the fact that she kinda is in love with thayer