Pretty Little Liars Post Mortem: 'A' New Suspect Emerges, Evil Toby Escalates and More

Pretty Little Liars Season 3b SpoilersIf you’ve yet to watch Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars premiere, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

‘A’ madwoman returned, a father faltered and an undercover friend emerged as an (even more) dangerous foe for the girls — and that was all just in the first half of Pretty Little Liars‘ Season 3B premiere!

The Rosewood gals were back in action Tuesday night, with no shortage of drama. Here, we’ll recap the season opener’s biggest moments, then grill executive producer Oliver Goldstick about two major developments to come out of the premiere: 1) Toby’s increasingly creepy demeanor, and 2) the seemingly nefarious Byron’s involvement in Alison’s murder.

At the start of the episode, Nutty Mona returns to Rosewood — and things immediately go to hell. At first, the ‘A’ teamer is ridiculed by her classmates, but is quickly able to morph herself into the victim with a heartstring-tugging viral video. Later, Mona opts to prove her (fake?) allegiance to the Liars by nearly offing Byron’s new-old fling Meredith — who is now the girls’ teacher and has Byron wrapped around her finger. Speaking of Byron, Aria finally begins to question her seemingly big-bad dad about his relationship with Alison, and ‘A’ taunts Aria with the knowledge of her baby secret.

RELATED | Exclusive: Pretty Little Liars Boss Answers 16 Burning Qs About the Killer Halloween Special!

Toby, meanwhile, continues to scowl at everything and everyone, while Spencer continues not to notice. (Come on, girlfriend!) Lucas spends most of the episode nursing a nasty limp, which Hanna thinks could have been from Aria’s screwdriver stab on Halloween. However, it seems more likely that Toby, in one of his recent fits of evil, ran a skateboarding Lucas off the road at the start of the episode.

Elsewhere, creepy Harold (the head of motel that long acted as home to A’s belongings) winds up with a janitor job at Rosewood High. Upon further investigation, the Liars discover that he is in possession of one of Alison’s old diaries. And here’s the kicker: It contains an entry that places Bryon in direct conflict with the ill-fated teen.

Pretty Little Liars Season 3b spoilersLastly, Jason goes against his half-sister Spence’s request to steer clear of Mona, instead allowing her dress his wounds. (And no, that’s not a euphemism.)

TVLINE | I’ve asked you before and I’ll ask you again: Are you absolutely, positively certain that Toby is really that bad of a guy?
Oh yes! You got it! Very much. We’re going down a path [with Toby] and you need to know that [he] has a lot of strong motivation for wanting to take down these girls. It’s the price [they have] to pay for him taking the fall for a crime he didn’t do. This has always been present, but he’s been very good at hiding it.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 39 Returning Favorites

TVLINE | He seemed more evil than ever in the premiere. Why is he so hell-bent on hurting the Liars now?
I think it’s Mona’s return. That’s not a coincidence. We know that Mona’s a powerful person; we know that she has no off-switch in her mind. The idea now really is that Mona’s back, Toby’s in black and Byron may be wacked! [Laughs] That’s how we started the season.

TVLINE | Speaking of Byron, we saw this week that Aria is beginning to suspect her dad of being involved with Alison — and he’s also being extremely cagey.
We’re going to discover that he had much more interaction with Alison than he ever let on. Whether he’s culpable or not for her death, we’re going to see his participation in that evening, and it really is eye-opening and shocking.

TVLINE | Could this show really make one of the girls’ parents a killer?
I know! [Laughs] You know that Hanna’s mom has already committed certain crimes — granted, in pursuit of helping her family… But our parents are not perfect; they are liars. Byron in particular has been many shades of wrong since the pilot, because of his affair and asking Aria to keep it a secret for a long time. So, this is not out of the blue. This is a person who has been deceptive, who has been a liar since the show launched, and now you’re getting to see the depths of it.

TVLINE | Given Amanda Schull’s status on USA Network’s Suits, how long with Meredith be around to ruffle the girls’ feathers?
We were able to work it out [with Suits]. So yes, she’s going to be a thorn in the girls’ sides.

TVLINE | Isn’t it a bit of a conflict of interest for Aria to be a student in her class?
It’s up to Aria to blow that whistle. And because of what’s transpired in the premiere episode, maybe it makes more sense [for her to tough it out] to find out more about that night.

TVLINE | Lastly, talk a little about how this major baby secret will effect “Ezria” throughout the remainder of Season 3.
It will have a major impact on their relationship. It will be the biggest hurdle they’ve had to jump — even larger than having to tell her parents [about their relationship] last season. Now we’re dealing with something internal between them — and the fact is that [this secret involves] another woman in Ezra’s life. It’s not necessarily a love triangle, but there is a child. Therefore, he’s connected to someone else in a very deep way. So, this will force their relationship to grow up very quickly.

Comments (65)

• Can we talk Lucy Hale’s butt in that skirt? Wowo! Can I have her workout routine?

Comment by Sam – January 8, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg! This x a million!!!! I said the exact same thing out loud and of course my husband had to look.

Comment by BL – January 8, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Creepy Harold = Inspector Spacetime

Comment by JC – January 8, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The more the girls find out that Allison was a pretty evil person, why do they continue to morn this girls death? She was a terrible person!

Comment by *lg* – January 8, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because she was their friend. It’s like having a boyfriend who beats you but you can’t stay away.

Comment by Sam – January 8, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if it’s mourning at this point. They are in so deep, they want the truth.

Comment by Deena – January 8, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The girls mention all the time how much they miss their friend. (Aria mentioned it tonight when she was talking to her Dad) I get that they would want answers, I just wish they would stop talking about her like she’s this great person. She’s not. She’s evil.

Comment by *lg* – January 8, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, for Aria, at least, it could have been to cover why, out of the blue, she was suddenly asking about Ali.

Comment by Summer – January 8, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s exactly what I was thinking. I don’t think they ever talk about her in a positive light when they are together, just to their parents.

Comment by Deena – January 9, 2013 06:38 AM PDT
    • I’ve been wondering this for three years now. I honestly don’t understand why they were her friends before her death (aside from the appeal of being popular) but the fact that they know what a vile human being she was and that she personally screwed over all of them and the people they care about and still seem to not only be sad that she’s gone but want avenge her, is beyond me. She was their A before there was an A.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – January 9, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t matter how terrible Allison was, she was still their friend and they loved her. And no matter what she did, it doesn’t mean she deserved to be murdered. Whoever killed her is way more evil than she ever was.

Comment by Sky – January 9, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea I agree. The more we are shown of Alison the more we see what an evil cruel person she was. She wasn’t even very nice to her friends! It makes sense why alot of the characters would have a motive to kill her

Comment by Brittany Ruiz – January 9, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Allison is very evil. But I will say alli does have a twin sister. COURTNEY.. When taking courtney to the mental hospital, they mixed alli and courtney up. Alli is really at the mental hospital. But of course she cant tell them that. They will only make her take more medication and they will think she is totally physco. Read the first chapter. in “alli’s pretty little lies.” I havent finished it, but thats what i know so far. And i think jason knows that they switched. Maybe not!

Comment by Hannah – January 25, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mourn* And it was Courtney pretending to be Alison and Alison was coming home SO Courtney was only extremely mean the last about 7 weeks of her life. And they were very close with her.

Comment by ~A nonymous – February 15, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I swear the producers all use the exact same wording every time they answer the Toby question. Always something about him have such strong motivation to want revenge.

I keep reading these articles thinking something will bring me back to this show but I just can’t…

Comment by Amanda – January 8, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I keep hoping for the same! However, Toby as A just feels too forced to me. I realize that this show consistently jumps the shark, but Toby as A was the ultimate jump the shark moment for me. No matter how the explanation is worded, it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Comment by Hmmmm – January 8, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How does it not make sense? Toby has always had THE most motivation to want to get back at the girls. Mona was teased and Hanah started hanging out with the girls more than her boo hoo! But Toby went to Juvi for a crime THEY committed and then was also accused BY THEM of killing Ali. If anyone in that town has a reason to be mad directly at the girls, and not just because of Alision’s misdeeds, its him!

Comment by DeeKayTee – January 9, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The girls didn’t commit the crime, Alison did. They just kept their mouths shut about it. It seems like they are paying for Alison’s crimes all the time. They didn’t have the guts to stand up to her or stop her, so now they’re paying the price.

Comment by Carrie – January 9, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It only feels forced if you look at PLL as this wonderfully written, cohesive show. It’s really just a bunch of people without direction throwing darts at a board. Who should be A this season? How can we force a storyline out of this? They don’t even know who their ultimate A is. It’s much easier to turn your brain off and just accept what they spoon-feed you.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – January 9, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It broke my heart that Toby is in “A” team, but still he is so “HOOOOOT”

Comment by bip – February 10, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason?!

Comment by Ashley – January 8, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right?! what was the deal with Jason and Mona at the end?

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looked like he was the person Aria stabbed w/ the screwdriver, which means he may be a part of Team A.

Comment by Carrie – January 9, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That makes so much sense! I never understood why he would be hurt but now I get it, and he’s the only member left of the NAT Club.

Comment by Sami – January 9, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was up with the bike tampering at the end? That seemed out of the blue. I’m sure I just missed something.

Comment by KenBud – January 8, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those clips at the end tend to be some kind of foreshadowing of the next episode. For example, before the episode when Toby fell off the scaffolding, we saw A tampering with the bolts. This time, I noticed that the book that the kid put in his bag said it was the “east Pennsylvania academic decathlon study guide”, so that will probably will be important in the next episode.

Comment by Lizzie – January 8, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That book was probably given to Mona, in order for her to beat Spencer..

Comment by Abigail – January 22, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Someone said on IMDB that it was possibly the kid’s bike who put the brain in Mona’s locker. Not sure if it was Mona who messed with the bike though.

Comment by Ulose – January 8, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It clearly showed Toby messing with the bike then it showed him again hiding.It also showed Toby trying to run someone (Lucas we find out) on a skateboard over at the start of the episode.

Comment by Brandy – January 9, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The kid had a chemistry book. One of the A team members probably got his help in rigging the explosives that hurt Meredith, thus the A team needed him gone

Comment by CL – January 9, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we all agree that Pretty Little Liars has the most collectively attractive cast on TV?!

Comment by Alex – January 8, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best looking cast since South of Nowhere.

Comment by JC – January 8, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the BEST comment. I couldn’t agree more. LOVE a good SON shout-out!

Comment by Jessie – January 9, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Vampire Diaries wins that, but PLL is certainly a close second.

Comment by NR – January 9, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They may be attractive but WTF is with their outfits? Also have you noticed how all of the students seem to be dressed normally expect for them? Not that I mind, I find their fashion absolutely hilarious and one of the more entertaining aspects of the show.

Comment by Erin – January 9, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, I think that Spencer’s outfits are awesome. But Aria and Hanna’s shoes are over the edge.

Comment by ioana – January 22, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please comment on how Jason’s wound looked an awful like he was stabbed with a screwdriver?

Comment by Alex – January 8, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohhhhhh shoot! why didn’t i think about that?!

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg Yea that’s exactly what I thought of when I saw his wound and remember he is an original NAT member the last ALIVE maybe he is just going back to his roots lol and going back to his old ways

Comment by Cherie – January 9, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought! I was surprised that none of the recaps I’ve read so far even mention that.

Comment by Erin – January 9, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didnt Mona say it was a burn when she was tending to it?.Which means he helped Mona burn Meredith or maybe he saved one of them?If it was a burn, then Jason wasnt the one Aria stabbed at Halloween(though we know Jason was on the Halloween train cause one of the girls saw him and he was there when Alis remains appeared so he could be the one Aria stabbed(.

Comment by Brandy – January 9, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No she doesn’t. All she says is “I think this bandage will cover it” and “ouch”

Comment by Rebecca – January 9, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But would the wound be that fresh after several weeks?

Comment by Brandy – January 9, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hanna mentioned to Caleb that it was a rusty screwdriver. If that was the case, then yes- with an infection the wound won’t heal properly, or could refuse to close at all….

Comment by Nicky – January 9, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm….no questions about Jason and Mona? What’s the deal with that? Jason’s injury, the fact that people are now acting like everything is rainbows and flowers after Mona’s video, Jason acting weird around Toby when he was talking to Spencer…so many questions that could have been asked..

Comment by Ulose – January 8, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree – what gives with the lack of a Jason question? He was obviously stabbed with something – i.e. a rusty screwdriver!

Comment by Shari – January 9, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice display of evil-six-pack this episode.
    When Spencer confronted Jason after the practice, I was like “Jason, you bastard. Stop checking out Toby’s six pack!” But no, he just kept staring. I mean, I would to but it’s just a super hilarious moment for me.

Comment by Liu – January 9, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Just want to.know when Emily is getting a new girl friend because that’s a turn on. I’m glad that they have a lesbian on the show a sexy one at.that! Emily seems kinda innocent (almost)
    Proud to be gay!!!

Comment by Denise – January 9, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe jason was the one aria stabbed on the train that night! I think lucus is limping because toby ran him off the road skateboarding! I’ve been watching & reading other spoilers (bad, I know) & it seems like lucus is becoming good again. I’m thinking him being part of the “A” team was something forced to do, not at his own will. So maybe the reason toby tried running him off the road was because he’s slowly becoming good again & not wanting to be apart of the “A” team? Just my theory. Also, I really hope the girls decide not to trust mona, she’s a walking enemy. It’s also obvious she’s the one who started the fire & injured meredith, remember she told the girls she would “prove herselves” to them? That’s a perfect way to try & make the girls accept her, by hurting meredith, someone who hurt aria. Obviously bryon is sketchy too, I watched a clip from a future epsiode where hanna emily & aria realize the page from the diary aria took & hid in her room is missing. Her dad comes in & basically says “I found it” because he uses an example from aria’s childhood where she would hide things (in her shoes, also where she hid the note) Also, producers have confirmed toby is 100% evil which sucks, & spencer will be the first liar to find out. At this rate bryon seems like the potential person who killed ali but we all know how someone can look super suspicious & not turn out who we thought they were in the end.

Comment by Erin – January 9, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just so excited to see what’s up with everyone!

Comment by Brandy – January 9, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how come the liars never noticed toby’s slipup! when he came to “rescue” them from harold in the basement, he said he saw them cross the finish line early and went to follow. But the scene before that said they were going to take a different path and still end up at the school. Hopefully it will come up again soon, like when they find out toby’s A.

Comment by Stella – January 10, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he said he got to the finish line early and saw them go in the back door, but he absolutely is sadly turning into a huge creep.

Comment by Autumn – January 11, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Toby said to the girls that He crossed the finish line early and saw them come in the school.

Comment by Fiona – January 11, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that Jason was the one that got stabbed with the screwdriver because in the episode This is a Dark Ride, the red cloaked figure at the beginning that drugs Aria has brown hair, and doesn’t seem very tall. Re watch a clip on youtube concerning this, because I didn’t notice it at first either. But as he is about to drug her drink you can see the back of his head! Then towards the part where Aria is in the crate, the red cloaked figure walks by, so this basically implies that it’s the same person. Also the voice sounds younger when he is speaking on the train. I think that Jason having a wound at the end, is a red herring and is meant to be rather a burn wound instead. Mona is treating the wound as if it is fresh. Basically to sum it all up, I think that the person Aria stabbed the screwdriver into was her brother Mike. I think this is the reasonable since the person sounds conflicted when they are arguing with the female person to throw Aria off the train.

Comment by Mel – January 10, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It not mike it’s Jason he probly wanted to kill Ali cuz she went into his room and took his things and she went to her grandma and changed the will so Jason won’t get money when she die. I mostly think “A” is Melissa ,Jason ,Mona,and,officer wilden y else will he taunt Hanna

Comment by Chaland peltier – January 11, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • could jason’s wound (the one mona is dressing) be from aria’s screwdriver stab?

Comment by A – January 13, 2013 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • spencer need to look out by herself becaue of toby is evil

Comment by David Rice Jr – January 14, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what doesnt make since to me is as soon as we found out about toby being on of the A’s he looked so different, like before he was so loving around spencer and now you see the evil smirks and all in him.

Comment by krystal – January 22, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah that was pretty weak point from production … anyway Tobi being A makes absolutely zero sence – why would they try to kill him in season 2 clearly creators didn’t think of him as A at that point …

I hope they make him a hero in the end because it just doesn’t make sence – it doesn’t add up to the story him being the bad guy …

Comment by Jaon – January 25, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we really think Toby would hurt Spencer or her friends? HE LOVES HERRRR!

Comment by Sydney – January 23, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone please explain the last episode to me,What does that ID card says about Toby and why did he come back to get the key? Am really confused

Comment by Louisa – January 23, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Toby came to get the key because the person who was after Hanna in the shop when she went for the job interview had dropped it.. and I think it was him.. and the ID card showed that he works at the sanitarium where Mona was at

Comment by Cindy – January 30, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show is so frustrating!

Comment by josie – February 6, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There has to be more to Toby on why he is part of A or how he became part of the A team when he went to Spencer house he was gonna explain but her mom came in and he ran off cowardly, this show is great it gets me thinking, I wonder who is that chick in the red when emily had a flash back of her digging ali grave and that cop is really creepy and getting suspicious

Comment by Natalie – February 12, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post