Bones Renewed For Ninth (and Final?) Season

bones methodmadness blogEight is apparently not enough for Bones: Fox has renewed its Monday night staple for a ninth season.

The network broke the news Tuesday morning at its portion of the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena.

Last March, Bones creator Hart Hanson expressed confidence that the series would see a ninth season. “In many ways, Bones is Fox’s most successful hour-long scripted drama,” he contended. “So I’m very confident we’ll be back.”

VIDEO | Brennan Learns a (Trip-the-Light) Fantastic Secret About Booth’s Past

In making the announcement, Fox stopped short of declaring Season 9 the show’s last. “After more than 150 episodes, Bones continues to be one of television’s most dynamic and consistent dramas,” entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “We at Fox, along with millions of zealous fans, look forward to seeing where the incredible creative team takes the series next season.”

TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

1. madbengalsfan85 says:

This made me smile

2. mario says:

i can totally see this show running for more than 10 seasons, and fox isnt doing so well in the ratings so i dont think season 9 will be the last season.

3. Julie says:

Good. A great show with great actors and writing. This show deserves another year. Fox might as well even it off to ten!

4. Stephanie says:

yay!

5. Sarahii says:

Good news. I wouldn’t mind 9 being it’s last though. Getting a little stale?

6. Davin Peterson says:

I was wondering how much longer this show will last. House only made it to Eight Seasons, as the producers cancelled it, not FOX. Some shows don’t make it to eight seasons. I’ll will miss the show when it ends.

• Dem Bones says:

The difference is that “House” went to crap in its last few seasons with dramatic losses in ratings. Bones has remained pretty consistent in its canon and, as a result, in its ratings, for most of it’s run, proving the old adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Too bad “House” failed to take this into account. That was so disappointing.

7. steve says:

why and final season in topic???? Was something said about it being the final season.

• Drakes says:

I was confused by this as well, tvline has been stretching their topic titles a little bit and its becoming a little annoying

• Ru says:

Its a journalism trick to get your attention. The Question Mark is there to show that it is someones speculation and not necessisarily the fact.

8. sophia7470 says:

Woo hoo! Amazing news! Well done team Bones :)

9. Linda says:

Very happy, and hopefully not final season!

10. Cynthia says:

That’s good news!

11. Lara says:

OMG! ASDFGHJK

12. Corina says:

Best news all day!!! :)

13. rty123 says:

Is that final in the title a clue to the blind item? So B&B break up at the end of this season and then the series ends with them getting back together and married?

• madbengalsfan85 says:

HH already went that route with Hodgela, doubt he does it again

• Stacey says:

Except the couple breaking up is supposed to be “out of left field”. Brennan and Booth have had issues relating to her departure last year. So it’s not like it would be out of the blue, should they break up. They did the “break up” finale last year. Even if they were officially breaking up. So I doubt they are going. If Hart has his way. He doesn’t want Season 9 to be the final season. He wants more if they can. And given FOX’s issues. BONES needs to tank severely to get cancelled.

14. Alice says:

Where is the Glee renewal?

15. majamababe says:

Yeah!

16. omabin says:

go bones

17. Stacey says:

Yes. And given FOX’s issues. They won’t let BONES leave anytime soon. So I could see Hart’s dream of Season 10 happening. And then they would have 200 episodes, if they make the 10th season.

18. Karen says:

Yay bones is back for another season

19. Amy says:

Michael, consider taking the Final Season out of the headline. That is so unprofessional. You have no idea if it is the final season or not. Hart Hanson has said he would like to go to TEN seasons.

20. Mia says:

Maybe 206 episodes ??? ;) !

21. Sara says:

Well, well, well… Who’s on top now bitch?

22. Pam says:

Seriously why did you have to put final ? in the headline? Idiot. Bones got renewed for Season 9. That is what got announced. Nothing else. Stop being a hack.

23. l says:

Yay!Will David stay on though?I think there was talk of him leaving a few months back.I can’t see Bones without Booth.She doesn’t fall in love at the drop of a hat.

• Lisa says:

David & Emily have both signed new contracts-that’s why there is a season 9. That’s pretty much all Fox was waiting for. They negotiated new terms. David just finalized his last month.

24. tali says:

I don’t see why Bones shouldn’t have a 10th season. The ratings are good, the show is solid and has good episode through out the season. It’s a crime show. The only concern for me is HH, tbh. Ever since FOX cancelled Finder he’s been snarky about everything. If any of them doesn’t feel like doing it anymore, step away, there’s someone who will. Just look at NCIS and Bellisario.
    I’m really glad for the renewal. I love Bones. And I don’t know if the blind about the couple that will split was resolved but I really hope it’s not Booth and Bones no matter if the show ends after 9 seasons. I just don’t want it to be uncomfortable in the last season only to have them back in the last second.

• Jeff B says:

To be fair to Fox, even if Finder had done better in the ratings – and I really hope Walter Sherman turns up on Bones at some point to resolve the cliffhanger ending from the Finder finale – I’m not convinced it could have continued for a second season anyway without Michael Clarke Duncan because his Leo was the best character on the show.

25. martina says:

I love this show, don’t get me wrong, but how much time will pass before they put it out of its misery? The writing is not as good anymore and the actors cleary want to move on. They should wrap it up and go out with a bang before it gets cancelled.

26. manuella says:

I’m exploding with happiness

27. Monique says:

So excited yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

28. Cam says:

YAY!
    Now we must have a season 10 so we can have the perfect 206 Bones episodes Box!

29. Adam says:

well my day just got better :)

30. Amber says:

I am seriously at a loss why TVLine feels the need to be a buzz kill in their reporting of this news. Report what was said by FOX. Bones got renewed for a 9th season. Everything else is your own hack speculation. You should take a leaf out of Ew.com reporting of the same news, they reported the facts of a 9th season renewal. End of.

31. tali says:

well, glad to read some more info on other sites. David was excited to be part of the next season in Dec. also no one else mentioned it being the last season. take a note, Michael.

32. andrew hass says:

I do think next season will be the last for Bones but who knows really.There are still stories to be told because there’s still Booth’s father and maybe even engagement/wedding.It would be interesting to see what kind of wedding they would have.The engagement could play throughout next season and end with the wedding.Then if there’s a 10th season we could see them adjusting to married life while working together.

• Stacey says:

It could be. But the ratings are too stable (counting DVR ratings) for the show to be ending next year. But then at least it will have next season. 22 more episodes. And given FOX’s issues. They may continue to need BONES.

33. Sarah says:

Yay! Now I can breathe a small sigh of relief. The blind item still bugs me, though.

34. ABBY says:

So we now know TVline think Bones may be heading into it’s last season… I so think these two are the blind item break-up, they fit better than most of the other couples.

35. Kay says:

Outstanding news but leave it to TVLine to rain on our parade. Last season? You only wish so, crappy reporting to get more hits????

36. Stacey says:

Except it doesn’t meet the criteria of coming out of “nowhere”. Booth and Brennan have been angsty, dealing with the fallout of her departure to go on the run with Christine. And also now, Hart was preparing a “possible” series finale option. He doesn’t have to use it. He never did, given BONES status with the network. But David and Emily had deals to renew. But they signed new deals. And plus, I don’t see how a breakup would mean new juice to a dying show. It’s been pretty juicy since they put them together. And they will always be tied together due to their careers, and their daughter. So it’s not like a breakup would mean anything different except they will have to deal with a fallout of a breakup. Plus, Hart has been talking that the issue of marriage and engagement will come up again. And if it does, Brennan will be the one asking… But then who knows. Only TVline is saying it’s a possible final season. No one else. FOX needs the show too much at the moment for it to go! Also they did a “sorta” break up finale last year. No way Hart does it again… I say Grey’s Anatomy or Parenthood. Parenthood is always coasting on a possible final season…

37. Alexandra says:

Bones is king of the lab, people! Congrats! Glad to know my top favorite proceidural will be back.

38. Debra hensley says:

YES,YES,YES….Finally someone is keeping a show I love and I am over fifty. Seems like if you over fifty…….they think you don’t watch TV and some really great shows have been canceled. Good for you Bones….. I am rooting for 10 seasons !!

39. Anne Schuch says:

So glad that it has been renewed, but hard as hell to keep up with tvline and their ability to just spoil it all by the :maybe not stuff. Cut it out , stop spoiling the moment we loyal fans were enjoying!

40. Eliza says:

Yay! I’m happy!

41. dragons3 says:

WOOT!! WOOT!! best news I’ve read in a long time. That headline is shoddy writing. i would say shoddy reporting, but since when does TVLine really do any reporting? Anyway, back to “Bones” — I’m so glad to read this. “Bones” and “Castle” are about the only 2 shows on network TV I watch with any regularity any more. “Bones” has some ups and downs, but overall it’s well-written, well-acted, and enjoyable, with a nice balance of humor and pathos.

42. Rita says:

Seriously, Ausiello? Come on, you can do better than that. No source, no speculation on the headline please…

43. Astrid says:

Best news today!!! Love this show <3 <3

44. John says:

Still like the show so this is good news. But it has drifted down my dvr’s “must see NOW” list some.

45. Sarah says:

Great news! I’m so happy about it!
    But very bad work with the headline! Why kind of speculating that season 9 could the the last one when Bones has been renewed for another season and there still is half of season 8 to be aired? Fox said nothing about season 10 (and why would they so early?) and Hart Hanson and/or Stephen Nathan have mentioned they had enough to go for 10 seasons. And David just twitted 9@BONESonFOX in 10 to go! So yeah, everything is hinting to season 9 being the final one I see!!!

46. Estee Thomas says:

IF this is the final season (& even if it isn’t) i hope fox gives them a chance to wrap up everyone’s storylines hate when networks cancel a show so abruptly they leave stories so open ended or cliff hangers…it drives me nuts

47. Justin says:

Great stuff!!! Love this show!!!

48. sandy holl says:

This show is too good to end after 9 seasons!!! Your title does not go along with what was said in the article!!! They deserve to have MANY MORE SEASONS!!!!

49. Sarah says:

From another online article (this time, the writer doing their job and informing about what was said during the TCA, and not trying to get people to their page with some negative speculation in their headline) :
    When a reporter asked [Fox boss Kevin Reilly after his winter press tour panel] if the network was looking at the upcoming season as the final year, Reilly’s response was quick. “Not right now,” he said. “We’re going to take that one and see where it goes.”

50. XOXO says:

I’m not surprised it’s getting canceled after season 9; in fact I wouldn’t have been surprised if this was their last season; the ratings have been crappy since last season. It’s clear the move to cancel the show isn’t coming from the creators but Fox; which just shows that Hart doesn’t know when to quit. It’s that show that was once a really fantastic show that turned into a watered down version of what it once was, and their biggest mistake was listening to its’ fans.

• Sarah says:

And you’re not even able to read/understand what this headline/article says!

• faith_brennan says:

umm, thank you very much for dissing the best show on the planet. your comment has been noted and filed under “things that make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever”.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

“What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”