HIMYM Taps Van Der Beek, Priestley and More for Robin Sparkles' Return! Plus: A First Look!

Get More: Casting News

himym_beek300No less than a Canadian invasion will mark Robin Sparkles’ return in the Feb. 4  How I Met Your Mother.

Repeat guest stars James Van Der Beek (technically, not a Canadian, but that’s okay, eh?) and Alan Thicke will lead the Great White Northern charge in the episode.

Additionally, Jason Priestley (Beverly Hills, 90210), Paul Shaffer (Late Show with David Letterman), Alex Trebek (Jeopardy!) and a cadre of other Canadian guest stars will appear in the outing.

RELATED | HIMYM Boss Previews the Challenges Facing Robin/Barney — Including One ‘Very Scary Guy’

The latest chapter in the pop singer’s saga will show off “a little bit of a darker, edgier Robin Sparkles,” according to executive producer Carter Bays, as viewers learn “what dominoes had to fall to get her from there” to who she is today.

To help tell that story, the CBS sitcom has enlisted “a crazy lineup of people,” which includes musician k.d. lang and several Canadian athletes.

Thicke previously played Robin’s dad in the “Sandcastles in the Sand” music video, while Van Der Beek was her ex-boyfriend, Simon.

Press PLAY to watch CBS announce the big casting news and then scroll down for a first look at the latest incarnation of Robin Sparkles.

P.S. I Love You

Comments (46)

• give me a nathan fillion. <3

Comment by Grace – January 7, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Jerri – January 7, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that would be neat. Plus some dr.Horrible references.

Comment by gg – January 8, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wonder if Simon Helberg from TBBT can make a cameo if that happens because NF is on ABC’s Castle.

Comment by Scott – January 8, 2013 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • James Van Der Beek is on Apt 23 on ABC, so I don’t think that would be a big deal.

Comment by Meg – January 17, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes please! *-*

Comment by TheCat – January 8, 2013 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand James Van Der Douche. That whole little side story was terrible.

Comment by Ant – January 7, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What!? When he dumped Robin for Louise Marsh twice because her parents got a pool and then a jacuz was hilarious.

Comment by Russ – January 7, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best comment ever. This cracked me up. The Beek is one of my favorite HIMYM guest stars.

Comment by Krystan – January 8, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that the video about the Canadian’s can’t be viewed in Canada.

Comment by Topher McFarlane – January 7, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this comment!

Comment by Lilly – January 7, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha my thoughts exactly.

Comment by Lucy Patterson – January 7, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! So true!

Comment by Annie-C – January 7, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment by SuperJodes – January 7, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awkward…

Comment by Jerri – January 7, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. I was just about to post this. Being in Canada, I can’t watch a clip about something Canadian-related. Hmmmm.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 8, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TV Line clips can often be viewed, but not this one.

Comment by tara17 – January 8, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Canadians protesting blocked Canadians!

Comment by Carol C – January 8, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed for Bryan Adams!!! That would be amazing!!

Comment by Lindsey – January 7, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Second that! Also Emily VanCamp from Revenge…now that would be interesting to see her in a non dramatic role!

Comment by Jo – January 8, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geddy Lee! Seriously?!??!? That is cool.

Topher, just check out the casting announcement on YouTube.

I wonder if they’ll have Steven Page will introduce R

Comment by JennK – January 7, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t work on YouTube either if you’re not in the US.

Comment by Jen – January 7, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin Sparkles to? Hit done by mistake.

Comment by JennK – January 7, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!

Comment by mspenn1013 – January 7, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Canadian, and desperately want to know who’s involved? Did someone say Steven Page? I’m a huge fan! This video won’t work on this site or on YouTube. Could someone make a list?

Comment by Eric – January 7, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alan Thicke
    Paul Shaffer
    James Van Der Beek
    k.d. Lang
    Jason Priestly
    Steven Page
    Geddy Lee
    Luc Robitaille

Comment by JennK – January 7, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! And.. wow. Geddy Lee! Steven Page!! Alan Thicke!!! Again!!! Alan Thicke is from my hometown, so it’s incredible that he appears on one of my favorite series fairly often. These are some great guest stars and I’m quite excited.

Comment by Eric – January 7, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex Trebek

Comment by JennK – January 7, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • k.d. lang on HIMYM is something I never knew I wanted so badly until I heard it was happening.

Comment by Erin – January 7, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luc Robitaille! Seeley Booth will be crushed.

Comment by Deena – January 7, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thought he was a flyers fan?

Comment by Shaun – January 7, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We live in a glocal (no, not a spelling mistake) world. Networks need to realise they gain absolutely nothing by geo-locking a clip. Sites like TVLine, which has a readers from around the world, need to start putting pressure on the networks to stop doing this. Because at the end of the day, TVLine just has a bunch of angry and annoyed readers who will become less and less likely to click on anything that says “video” in the title.

Comment by Remer – January 7, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The rights to the clips belong to the channels/networks airing them in each respective country. In Canada, for instance, it would be City-TV. The frustration is that City-TV doesn’t release a similar clip, so we Canuckleheads don’t get to see it.

Comment by TV Gord – January 7, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for this one, we better get one more song..

Comment by Mike – January 7, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only they could get Shatner… Now that would be legendary!

Comment by isee – January 7, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes i think you need Nathan Fillion right?

Comment by siskaaw – January 7, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • or Alanis? she could clearly fit into a bitter-Barney-ex storyline. Sadly Michael Buble is owned by NBC or he’d be a nice tie-in.

Comment by Betsy – January 7, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let ‘Sandcastles in the Sand’ be playing at Barney and Robin’s wedding!!! First dance maybe

Comment by Laure – January 8, 2013 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s more of a break-up song.

Comment by steven – January 8, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes van der beek. his is still my favorite non-slap bet related robin sparkles episode

Comment by Alan – January 8, 2013 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stinkin’ Canadians.

Comment by Bob – January 8, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sounds like a beauty, eh? I think its aboot time, you hosers!

Comment by brutony – January 8, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might have to tune in to watch for the first time in a few years because I loved Robin Sparkles.

Comment by Tru – January 8, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan Fillion and now that’s free Joshua Jackson… Canadian with blue eyes will be my damnation!

Comment by Chandramas – January 17, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joshua Jackson on an episode with JVDB would be amazing!!! Reunite Dawson and Pacey!!!

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – January 17, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to
    be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they just
    don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the
    whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.

Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Comment by my iphone repair – February 15, 2014 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post