USA Network Boss: New Graceland Drama 'Has Some Real Grittiness,' But Isn't Too Dark for Us

Graceland - PilotA new trailer for Graceland — which suggests that USA Network’s new summer series is an “overcast sky show” amid the cabler’s many “blue sky” offerings — does “a really good job of capturing the tone,” series creator Jeff Eastin said Monday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. But is that tone in keeping with the USA brand?

Eastin first gave USA Network White Collar, which revolves around an FBI agent and the world-class con man who assists him. Graceland, meanwhile, concerns a beach house that serves as home base — and home– to an “all-star team” of agents from the FBI, DEA and U.S. Customs. But despite its seemingly sunnier, Southern California setting, the new drama is perhaps USA’s darkest fare to date.

“It is a dark show, but I consider it a more reality-based show” compared to White Collar, Eastin said. “This one we try to make as real as possible.

“What I’m really proud of it’s that its not just a dark show, but it’s a pretty funny show,” Eastin added. “But instead of the laughs coming out of jokes, it comes out the reality of what it is” — as assembly of disparate types and personalities living under one roof.

“It’s not typical television storytelling,” said Aaron Tveit, who plays the titular house’s new arrival, a rising star FBI agent. Castmate Vanessa Ferlito echoed that point, saying that whereas the likes of CSI: NY (where she once hung her hat) are “about the crime, this is about our characters, our life together. It’s very different, very unique.”

Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me), Brandon Jay McLaren (The Killing), Manny Montana (Chicago Code) and Serinda Swan (Breakout Kings) round out the ensemble of roommates.

Is Eastin’s latest too different for the USA brand? Speaking with TVLine, network co-president Jeff Wachtel contended that Political Animals last year dipped its toe into “some pretty dark places.” And just as that show enjoyed the gloss of its D.C. setting, Graceland “has the warmth and the vulnerability” of its beach house environs.

“If we were only going after drug dealers and the Russian mob, then [Graceland] would be purely a dark show and maybe out of our comfort zone,” Wachtel continued. “But one of the things we always look for is … a place for characters to live and thrive, and that means a place that has something aspirational to it, where people are trying to make a difference. So while it has some real grittiness to it, [the agents] come home and make sauce…. They live together.”

Graceland premieres this summer; TVLine will share the aforementioned new trailer as soon as it becomes available.

Comments (20)

• I’m so excited for this show! White Collar and Aaron Tveit are two of my favorite things so this should be good :)

Comment by Lena – January 7, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear, I wasn’t looking to pick up any new USA shows, but Daniel Sunjata is too hot to pass on…

Comment by Brooke – January 7, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s as dark in tone as Dark Blue. That was a cool cop show.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 7, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds good!! I’ve never watched a USA show that I have never liked. USA ROCKS!!

Also Michael, I LOVED Dark Blue. So sad TNT cancelled it!

Comment by Lani – January 7, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reality huh.
    They shoot a series about Southern Californis in Moami. Some reality

Comment by Ed – January 7, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? That’s what you’re going with?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – January 7, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol thank you for making my day

Comment by Ant – January 7, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sniffle* I miss Common Law.

Comment by M – January 7, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Aaron Tveit on my television every week will be my pleasure!

Comment by Shelly – January 7, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too!! I saw him on broadway last summer & he was my favorite part of the new Les Miz movie, and now he’s going to be on my TV every week!! yahoo!!

Comment by Maggie – January 7, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really liked Serinda on Break Out Kings, glad she will be back on my tv!

Comment by Sara – January 7, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, however was it announced and i missed it, that for the pilot it looks like the female character of the house is played by Scottie Thompson (the girlfriend of Tony on NCIS, Jeanne Benoit), however now its Serinda which i didn’t know until this article.

Comment by M3rc Nate – January 7, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE White Collar so will give it a try. Hope Eastin doesn’t desert WC in favor of new project.

Comment by skiwitch – January 7, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait!

Comment by sarah – January 7, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trailer is up on YouTube… looks a bit meh for USA..Daniel is smokin’ though but I dunno if that’s enough for me to watch.

Comment by Danielle H. – January 7, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this!!!! A weekly dose of Aaron Tveit is not something I am able to pass up. Show looks good, too!

Comment by Lauren – January 7, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Judging by that picture of those two alone I’m in. Add the words FBI, DEA agents and it’s on top of my must watch list.

Comment by Patricia – January 7, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Aaron Tveit in this! He is so talented and deserves all the recognition he gets.

Comment by Cor – March 4, 2013 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait. I love Daniel Sunjata!!

Comment by Renee – April 1, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got to work as an extra while they were filming down here in Florida… Yeah, it’s gonna be a fun show :)

Comment by Bone Lee – April 3, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post