Update: The Office Getting One-Hour Send-Off, NBC Boss Doubtful Steve Carell Will Return

The Office - Season 9The Office will close its doors this May with a special one-hour farewell, but it’ll likely do so without Steve Carell’s original boss, Michael Scott.

“I’m hopeful, but I don’t think [Steve] will be back,” NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt told reporters Sunday the the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “He left in the way that he wanted that character to leave.”

“There’s maybe a little hail mary pass on a cameo,” he added, “but I think the decision is that he [doesn't want to compromise] his [original] exit.”

RELATED | Office Boss Weighs In And-/Erin-Pete Triangle: ‘It’s a Horserace’

Last month, exec producer Greg Daniels told TVLine that he had “some cool story ideas” that would bring Michael back into the fold, “but we’re still not 100 percent sure Steve will want to participate.”

Meanwhile, although an exact air date for the finale has not been locked down, the buzz is that it will be broadcast on Thursday, May 9.

1. jrs says:

Come on Steve. Come on Steve. We need us some Michael Scott one last time!

• Belle says:

He doesn’t have to return to Scranton…they can show a glimpse of he and Holly in the distance like walking into the OB/GYN clinic wherever they live in Colorado right now?? He wouldn’t have to say a line and it would give a nice little gift to fans :)

• Bob says:

I look at it this way: If he could take part in that atrocious movie, “Hope Springs”, he can come back for a cameo on The Office.

2. Steven says:

I actually hope Steve does not come back. That character was what made me not watch The Office. I’m actually loving this season without him.

3. Randall says:

I think that they should have ended the show with him leaving and getting married to Holly. I stopped watching shortly after his last episode. Andy has annoyed me far more than Michael ever did.

4. Soso says:

THEY HAVE TO bring Carell for the final !!!

5. Pepper says:

Use the TV metric system, it’s only gonna be 40 minutes.

6. John Moshier says:

the show is not going anywhere anyway it wont kill him to come back does he think hes to big for that

7. So lame. They better just be saying that so it will be a surprise.

• Jenny says:

I hope so!!! Michael Rosenbaum came in at the last second with Smallville. Hopefully, the same will be true with Steve Carell. I’m not asking for much. Just would like to see him one last time!

8. Grace says:

It would be SO out of character if Michael Scott never came back. That office was his entire life. It compromises the character if he never returned, I think.

• april-ann says:

It would be nice to have him back even if just for a few minutes. But I think the way they explained him leaving was meant to tell us that although the office was his entire life up until then, Michael finally got what he was really looking for all his life which replaced the office being number one in his life: A happily ever after with the love of his life.

9. Can we do something? We need him back. It’s not the same without him. Michael Scott was the greatest.

10. Elly says:

Wow, they managed to make Steve Carrell look like an asshole.

I mean the least they could do is a 3 minute update on Michael (like him and holly married with kids)

11. nope says:

His voice on a phone in the office would be good enough. Doesn’t even have to appear on screen.

12. Jared says:

Here’s another series that out stayed its welcome. Steve Carrell knows better just to leave it alone and not return.

13. Rach says:

We need a trip to boulder to see the Michael and Holly Wedding!!!!
    If not then his voice on the phone will do I suppose or a good luck card for Jim and pam perhaps and a pic of holly and Michael with a baby?

14. Josh says:

I have to say I’m disappointed in Steve Carell…This makes him look bad. Respect where you can from, a small cameo with Holly won’t affect his ending.

15. James says:

Steve is busy shooting a blockbuster movie with Katherine Heigel, Mischa Barton and Chad Michael Murray.

16. Molly says:

Steve Carell is a terrific talent, but his stance on this says things about him as a person. He has described leaving The Office as if he was the first one to graduate from high school. How many of us stay in touch with friends from high school? Since he has moved on from The Office, he has made several films. Nothing as memorable as the years he invested in portraying Michael Scott. The Office helped to make him a big star. He really meant something to his fans and the ensemble cast. Wouldn’t it be nice if he recognized that?

• Stef says:

As I respect Steve’s opinion not to return (& I do not think it makes him look bad as others have suggested), I do think Michael would be in touch with these people. Most of my best friends were made in high school – twenty years ago! They were some of his best friends – especially Pam & Jim!

17. Lauren says:

Wow, did you guys even read the article? It said that Carell didn’t want to ruin his exit, which I can totally understand. It was really well done, and I say this as someone who hasn’t really enjoyed the Office since season four. That said, I’d love to see him back. But if he chooses not to, I can’t believe that it would be because of him being selfish and not recognising his roots, but because he believes his exit was perfect the way it was.

18. Matt says:

Can someone tell Steve Carell that he wasn’t playing Hamlet. It’s a sitcom. Do a cameo because it’s the show that made you famous. The “I don’t want to tarnish how I exited” is stupid.

• Trent says:

I love Steve (and The Office) but I have to agree. There was nothing so final about Michael Scott’s last episode that would keep him from ever contacting his old office-mates again. He spent more than a decade with these people — why wouldn’t he speak with them again, if only with updates about his marriage to Holly, possible kids, etc?

19. James says:

Come on Steve, don’t make me hate you :(

20. Jeff says:

I liked Michael’s last episode – it was a perfect exit. And given the quality of “The Office” over the past few years, I wouldn’t return either if I were Steve Carell.

21. Nicole says:

What about just a throw-away moment with a birth announcement from Michael and Holly. I think they need to acknowledge Michael in some way, even if it’s just something small. I want to know that Michael ended up having the wife and kids that he wanted so badly.

22. cjeffery7 says:

all i need is literally like a 3 second cameo at the very end, OR even a sentence over the phone

23. JON says:

He should come back for the final episode. So that he’ll be eligible for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy. Maybe finally, they’ll give him his Emmy.

24. josh says:

Carell should absolutely not come back. His exit was beautifully done and well done for the character, do you all really want to tarnish that just so you can say “Hey! It’s Michael Scott again! Look he’s doing that HILARIOUS bit again!” OMG SO WORTH IT GUYS!

25. Michael says:

While I think they sent off Steve the way they should have and I agree that I don’t think he’ll be back, how are they going to air this documentary without referencing him? Because ultimately, if he doesn’t return, that’s what’s going to happen.

26. Scranton Strangler says:

One of the last things Michael Scott said was to the documentary crew…”let me know if this ever airs”…the perfect ending would be for Michael and Holly to fly in to watch the documentary’s “premiere” or vice-versa, have Jim, Pam, Dwight, et al surprise Michael in Colorado. Simple 5 minute appearance.

27. jr says:

That sucks. Steve Carrels movie career has bombed. There are only so many times you can play the same character. I guess he’s trying to run as far away as Michael Scott as he can

28. Lisa says:

I feel like this is all to throw us off. I don’t think there’s any way that Steve wouldn’t come back. Besides, if we find out that the documentary has really been about Jim and Pam all along, Michael will have something to say about it since you know he’d take credit for being the one who got them together! Pretty sure he even assumed that he’d walk her down the aisle!

29. OMED-Josh says:

I’d certainly love to see Michael one last time. But here’s how I’d close out the last piece of the Michael Scott story if Carrell won’t return, with as little as a single line of dialogue:

Pam (or whoever): (hangs up the phone) Hey everyone, that was Michael… James and Dwight Scott arrived at 8:30 this morning. Holly and the twins are doing well.

(Everybody cheers)

Then you can make this a big part of the eipisode, or go ahead and move on with your finale story,

Or something like that.

30. noah says:

i think the craziest ending ever should have on the last episode everyone getting thier stuff to go home at the end of the day and michael shows up out of nowhere. no words are said after a few moments. just reactions. then it cuts to black. that may make some people angry but thatd be soooo ridiculous (in a good way).

31. Justin S. says:

I thought a clever end to the show would have Jim’s sports company really take off and in need of hiring a company manager. After many interviews, the company should reveal to Jim that they are excited about their new manager, whom has 12 years experience as a manager and kicked butt in his interview. As Jim prepares to meet the new manager…in walks Michael Scott, reuniting Jim and Michael again. Or else have Michael and Holly get married in the end.

32. Maureen says:

Please come back Michael Scott for 1 last time!!! We need you!!!!

33. Everyone says their last goodbyes as Steve Carell wakes up from a long sleep. As he realizes the whole thing was a dream ( not unlike the famous episode of Dallas), he instantly sit up in bed and says…” That would make a great screenplay. The rest of the show will be all of the cast members interviewing and auditioning for their parts. It would be great if they could incorporate some of the original auditions and interviews into the final episode. I guarantee people would be talking at the water cooler about this final episode for years!

34. Sako says:

I’ve been a resident of Boulder, CO for 10yrs. Yet to run into my beloved Michael Scott.

Also, try going back and watching season 3 again. You will immediately start crying when you realize what season 9 has become in comparison. So sad.

35. Ian says:

Steve should come back to have his wedding or have the whole office at his wedding

36. Colt says:

Jim’s company is going to take off and he is going to have branches all over the states and micheal should be a manager of one