Switched at Birth Preview: A Changed Bay, Mixed Tidings for 'Bemmett' and Baby Drama

VANESSA MARANOFans of Switched at Birth‘s Bay and Emmett, star Vanessa Marano has good and bad news for you.

When the ABC Family drama returns for Season 2 on Monday at 8/7c, the former couple will be on much better terms — but not exactly on the same page, she reveals below. The actress also talks about her unpopular stance on the relationship, the new guys in Bay and Daphne’s lives and Angelo’s baby-mama troubles.

RELATED | Bunheads‘ Sutton Foster on Michelle’s Return to Paradise, Even More Dancing and… Hubbell?

TVLINE | Has Bay gotten all that rebelliousness out of her system?
Yeah! Weirdly enough, Bay’s not the rebellious one this [season] at all, which is very different because Bay, as you know, is usually the more difficult of all the Switched at Birth characters. [Laughs] She and John Kennish probably are the most stubborn and set in their ways and don’t bend on anything, ironically enough. But she’s totally over it now… She’s studying. She’s listening to her parents. She’s being a good kid this season. But we’ll see how long that lasts. [Laughs]

TVLINE | She seems so at peace in the season premiere. She’s almost, for lack of a better word, cooperative.
I know! It’s weird, right?! It’s still the Bay we all know and love, but like a much more accommodating, well behaved, cooperative version of her.

TVLINE | After that lovely scene by the car in the season finale, where do Bay and Emmett stand?
She’s forgiven him, which is nice. But she wants to be friends. She’s not ready to be whatever they were again, and he is ready. So when you have one person who is ready and one person who’s not ready, something’s gotta give. I just don’t know what.

VANESSA MARANO, SEAN BERDYTVLINE | Is he staying faithful to her in the meantime, even though they’re not technically dating?
[Laughs] They’re not dating, so there really are no rules in their relationship. That’s what’s freaking Emmett out the most. He’s like, “Well, do I have to not date anybody then even though we’re not [together]? How is this whole thing working?”

TVLINE | Last time we talked, you said you like Emmett and Daphne together, and then Katie [Leclerc] told me she likes Emmett with Bay. Is that still the case?
That’s 100 percent still the case. I don’t know how Katie can still like Bay and Emmett together. I’m like the only person in America who shares this belief that Bay and Emmett should not get back together, because he cheated on her and that’s awful. But I’m the only one – cast [and] crew included and people who watch the show. So I stand alone pretty much. [Laughs]

VIDEO | Exclusive Lying Game First Look: Ryan Rottman’s New Bad Boy Bonds – and Bickers – With Ethan

TVLINE | When I interviewed [creator] Lizzy Weiss, she mentioned a new character in Bay and Daphne’s world.
There’s a character named Teo [played by Stephen Lunsford], and there’s a character named Noah [Max Lloyd-Jones]. They’re both hearing kids at the deaf school. They’re both boys, so… Bay and Daphne love their boys. [Laughs]

TVLINE | So, love triangle drama?
I don’t know if there’s even a shape anymore for the amount of boys that Bay and Daphne have gone through. [Laughs] It’s no longer a triangle. It’s like a hexagon, octagon situation, carrying all the ones that they’ve had in common.

TVLINE | Is Daphne and Bay’s relationship going to get stronger?
We were so happy, Katie and I, because last season, it was pretty strong. We were friends, and that had never happened before! The last 10 episodes were like a big friendship. That may not be the case as this season continues. There’s definitely a bit of tension between them.

TVLINE | We also have to talk about Angelo and the baby bombshell. Is it definitely his?
I can’t tell you that! But I will say this: Angelo clearly likes taking paternity tests. This will be his second paternity test.

VANESSA MARANOTVLINE | What about the fact that he was rewarded all this money? It tends to change people, so how’s it going to affect the family?
With Angelo, that’s the whole thing. Money does tend to change people. Is it going to change him for the better though? He’s not a great person to begin with. He’s a person who’s constantly trying to change himself for the better. Everybody’s always on edge like, “Oh, well, how’s that going to go down? Can we trust him?” That’s the whole theme of the season. Now that he has the ability to give the girls the world, is he to be trusted? Or is that even more dangerous?

TVLINE | Is Bay’s relationship with him pretty unstable?
Yeah. It’s kind of all over the map, specifically because of that baby-mama drama. And Regina’s relationship with him [is] even more unstable. In fact, I’d say Regina’s actually the most unstable this season… Because of all the things going on with Regina – and there’s a lot of things going on with Regina – she’s having a difficult time with everybody, Bay included.

Comments (46)

• man she really really does not want them back together. she mentions it allll the time. it’s only tv girl. maybe it won’t be this season, but i hope they do eventually.

Comment by kay – January 5, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Emmett, full stop, and his scenes with Bay first season were amazing. But these are teens so you rarely end up marrying your first loves. I love Bay and Emmett but I hope Emmett gets a great love interest, he’s the most adorable angelic hottie on TV.

Comment by Plum – January 5, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry Vanessa but I’m still rooting for Bay and Emmett, they are teenagers, not married.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 5, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fully agree – he cheated! Nice to see a young woman on TV witha a good self-worth… I preferred Bay with the Army guy but she is young so keep bringing the boys.

Comment by Tina – January 5, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so so excited. Bay is my favourite character on the show and I’m excited to see a more relaxed, stable Bay this season.
    And I agree with Vanessa about the Bay/Emmett thing. If Bay was my friend, I’d never want her to get back together with him; or if it happened to me, I could never trust that person again.
    Buuuuuuut, this is tv and Bay/Emmett give me SO many feelings and I adore them so much. I wish the cheating never happened….or it didn’t go as far as it did.

Comment by mia – January 5, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never even really loved Bay and Emmett together BEFORE he cheated, I am totally against them being together after he did. I agree with Tina, it’s good to see a young women with good self confidence and not just running back to a guy because he apologizes

Comment by Madison – January 5, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheating is not okay, and I am glad that Bay broke up with Emmett after she found out (Stand up for yourself, girl). However, it was a one time mistake, and he has proven in the past months that not only is he profoundly sorry, but that he never intends on letting that happen again. The boy has even been refusing to date other girls in trying to win Bay back. If Bay is willing to forgive him (and he never cheats on her again), then they should be together. It’s clear that they still love each other.

Comment by Anna – January 5, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a really mature way of looking at it, well put. And I think you’ve swayyed me a bit

Comment by mia – January 6, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I 100% agree!! There love each other and are the cutest couple!! Im glad the broke up right after but I think they should get back together now that he is completely apologetic!

Comment by May – February 12, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Stephen Lunsford here ^^
    I like this tv serie.

Comment by *Closer to the Edge* (@LilyMoonOnMARS) – January 6, 2013 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with her on this one. I’m still rooting for Ty to come back for Bay…Emmett blew it.

Comment by wooster182 – January 6, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO!! I want Ty back!

Comment by :) – January 16, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t seen this show since the first summer it started. Bay was such a spoiled brat, I didn’t really care what happened. Now, it sounds like this show is just another boring soap opera. How long are the seasons, anyway? It’s only the start of the second season? Boy, I guess time does drag when you’re not enjoying it.

Comment by Gene – January 7, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY LOVE EBAY(Emmett&Bay 4eva) too bad she don’t feel the same way :|

Comment by Adrianna – January 18, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think emmi and bay should get back together! If they didnt i have to say that i wouldnt like this show very much, it makes me mad that there not together i mean yeah he cheated on her but he was goin through a hard time and hes proved to her that he loves her and he didnt mean anything with simone. So please let emmit and bay get back together!

Comment by Andrea hughes – January 21, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really love Emmett and bay together. Yes he cheated but he shows that he loves her and it made me so mad when they broke up. I felt like MY heart was broken haha. I hate Simone now though and think that To y should move on but Emmett is different because he actually loves Bay and is obviously sorry and guilty for what he did. I believe he won’t do it again.

Comment by Katlyn – July 25, 2013 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don enjoy the show if bay and emmett are not together.they look cute together plsssssssssssss let dem get back

Comment by Krista appiah – August 15, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Jeff

Comment by Bianca – January 28, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bay+Emmett=Love

Comment by Brittany – February 10, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see bay and Noah

Comment by Lucy – February 11, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want to see Ty back!! I just never liked him!! BAY AND EMMETT FOREVER! <3 Emmett is soo sorry and he keeps proving himself! They still love each other and I don't want Bay and Noah. Maybe Noah and Daphne?? Noah or Travis would be great with Daphne!! Just pleaseee BAY AND EMMETT! Their the main reason I watch the show! There meant for each other! <3

Comment by May – February 12, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes !!!!!!!!! I don’t want Ty and Bay to get back together I could care less . Bay and EMMETT AALL the way!!!

Comment by kelly – July 9, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Bay and Noah end up together they look solo cute together! <3 I stopped liking emmet after he cheated.

Comment by Niia – February 13, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I t

Comment by kelly – February 18, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love bay and emet they are sooooooooooo cute together and what the hell is going on wit rogenia she’s drinking got firred its like woooow !!!!

Comment by kelly – February 18, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally would not like bay and emmet together that relationship was broken once he cheated I think she should date Noah and emmet should move on

Comment by Maria – February 19, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No !! Emmett made a mistake. (which he should of never done) and why was it even written in the script. If he never cheating he would of still been with Bay. Its makes me said just thinking about would could of happen if he didn’t.ahhh!! any way It would be nice to see them back together maybe later on in season 2

Comment by molly – July 9, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love love love Emmett and bay together. The way he looks at her is just … Guhhhhh. So cute. I hated when he cheated. So sad, but he feels so bad and he really loves her. Noah is weird. Emmett is beautifulllll. :))

Comment by charity – February 25, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want bay and Emmet back together I never heard about this show. I went on Netflix looking for a movie to watch and saw switched at birth and im soo loving it I watched 30 shows in 5 days lol Emmet and Bays relationship is what kept me watching it and it will crush me if they don’t get back together!!! I know he cheated and that’s not ok but he has proven that he us really sorry and won’t do it again please Emmet & Bay FOREVER PLEASEEEEEEEE :-)

Comment by shamieka – March 19, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ebay!!!! Plzzzzzzzz!!!!

Comment by jenn – March 21, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ebay PLzzzzzzzzzzzzz they look so gud 2gthr, I min jha he cheatd bt hez very apologetic abt evrythng en he rily loves Bay a lot, thy r grt inspiratn 4 yng couples out thr

Comment by Aviwe – March 30, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg!! emmett and bay should get back together!!!! they really love each other!!! Even tho bay is over there going from guy to guy..; she still has feelings for him!! He was there for her whenever she was stuck or mad or simply crushed and that really shows that he really cares about her!!! Although he cheated, theres always a second chance thats she can give him! They’re perfect for each other!!! Emmett shows his love her and that he truly cares for bay above everything!! So please let them get back together!!but this time their love should go stronger and nobody or nothing can break.them apart!! :) :)

Comment by Talia – April 20, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a danish follower and I just want to say that I love this show – and I also want to see Bay and Emmett back together. Part of growing up is learning to forgive other people for their faults! It would show that the world (and relationships) are not black and white! Everything is grey.

Also, i think a lot of people would agree – that just because someone screws up, it doesnt mean you dont love them anymore. I dont think Bay’s character would look weak for going back to him. I think it takes a strong person to forgive such a betrayal. And it would make for great TV watching the process of gaining trust again.

Comment by Charlotte – April 24, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Bay and Emmett should get back together. They were perfect for each other and she has forgiven him for the mistake he made and he has apologize so many times. They are already passed that so they can continue to work things out and be back together.

Comment by Toni Cruz – May 21, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty purposely told her he did not have a condom ….what guy in todays world would do that??? He loves her….Emmett cheated….how much did he care?

Comment by Marie Whitmire – June 6, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think emmet and bay should get back together

Comment by Mama123 – June 20, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bay and ty should get back together

Comment by Naka – June 20, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am so luving dis movie pls ebay shld get back 2gether and am so much in luv with both of dem,they are so cute pls does it av season 4

Comment by chommy lee – June 25, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes they should get back together. I really don’t want to see Ty start a relationship with Bay because I felt like Emmet was the best for her (even though he cheated(he didn’t mean too) It would be really nice if emmet and bay went back out towards the end of second season. I think that would be awesome. And plus Ty is in his 20s and bay is only 16……..

Comment by kindle – July 9, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just started watching this show on Netflix and I’m on season one episode 24…I absolutely love it especially Bay and Emmet!! Yes he cheated and there is no excuse for what he did however ppl make mistakes and I believe learning from our mistakes is what makes us better ppl…Emmet has proven how apologetic he is and clearly this has also made him realize how much he truly loves and cares for Bay. They been through so much in the little time they were together and overcame their struggles…this is just another hurdle that they will need to overcome and they will because they clearly still love each other… Bay & Emmet fan all the way!!

Comment by Samantha – July 13, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to admit that I love Bay and Emmet together and that is the way it should stay. Did he cheat yes but people have been through a lot worse than cheating and managed to get through it I believe they can get through this too, if Bay will stop being so stubborn.

Comment by Fikisha Broadnax – August 3, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bay and emmet not being together in heart breaking!!!!!!!!!!!! eBay forever<3

Comment by Allison – August 3, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all against cheating and he should be punished for it!!! BUT – who on earth is perfect? They are teens for gods sake. Still, I hated him for ruining everything and being a teen and confused and angry is no excuse. Like I said, everyone makes mistakes. He’s a good guy and he proves it ever since his breakup. He is the most loyal guy and repents. I don’t know if I would support them getting back together if she were my friend – but following the series I cannot stand them NOT getting back together. If they don’t get together by the end of the season I think I’ll have to stop watching.

Bay and Emmett have chemistry and they get each other. I’ve never wanted someone more to be together than these two. Noah and Ty – they’re all not right for her.

I really hope the writers are really EBay fans and let them get back together soon!

Comment by cleo – August 9, 2013 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sooooo want Ty and Bay back together. They were so cute and how hurt she was when she thought he was dead. He came home and let her in his life. If he would have said yes to Bay going overseas to study I would be jumping for joy. .

Comment by ashley – December 16, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In Season 3 ep 3 Bay kisses Emmett but he has another girlfriend and has moved on. That’s a twist…

Comment by BlahBlah – February 21, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya, he meets this hot girl online… IM CONVINCED SHES THE DEVIL I WANT BAY AND EMMETT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by CuteCouples – February 21, 2014 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post