Exclusive: Sarah Michelle Gellar Plotting TV Return – and There's a Buffy Connection!

smgSarah Michelle Gellar may be back on the small screen next fall as the star of a new half-hour comedy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The potential (and currently untitled) series, which is being developed at 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), chronicles the hijinks parents get into while their kids are not at home.

Gellar would play the wife/mother.

PHOTOS | Pilot Season Preview: The 36 Most Wanted Actors and Actresses

The actress — who attempted a TV comeback last year with The CW’s now-cancelled Ringer — became interested in the project after reading the Shepard Boucher-penned spec script. (Boucher’s credits include serving as a staff writer on the TBS comedy Men at Work.)

The project will be shopped to the major networks in the coming weeks.

RENEWAL SCORECARD | What Will Return Next Season? What Will Be Cancelled?

David Hemingson (How I Met Your Mother, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) and Margaret Riley (Love and Other Drugs) are attached as exec producers.

A 20th rep declined to comment for this story.

Thoughts? Excited to see Gellar take a stab at a sitcom? Thoughts on who could/should play her TV hubby? Hit the comments!

Comments (142)

• …a very, very, very tenuous Buffy connection.

Comment by Houman Sadri – January 5, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. I kinda want to flip off tv line for this :(

Comment by Eli – January 5, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally. I was thinking she’d be working with a former castmember or writer or SOMETHING, not simply that the series is being made at FOX.

TVLINE is the worst at headlines ever – what they call a shocking twist is usually a simple plot development. Excessive hyperbole.

Comment by Smigglesby – January 5, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m almost in agreement. While my thoughts were “Seriously? That’s your connection?”, you have to admit, they got us to read the article didn’t they?! TV Line: 1, All of us: 0

Comment by Princess Adora – January 5, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I dunno, I was gonna read the article anyway to find out what kind of show she would be on. The Buffy Connection line was just cruel… a… cruel intention? Sorry.. .sorry…

Comment by DreamRose311 – January 5, 2013 08:56 PM PDT
          • I would have read the article regardless. I was hoping the connection was that this was another show set in the realm of the supernatural.

Comment by Ari – January 6, 2013 05:35 AM PDT
    • Yeah … that was stretching it.

I was hoping the connection would be through Joss, or one of the other Buffyverse writers.

Comment by Michelle R. (@MsMichelleR) – January 6, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the kind of crap that I stopped reading EW over. I’m sick of this misleading headline. SMG is big enough to make a headline on her own. Especially because some people liked Ringer. It ish like this though that also backfires and spoils Downton Abbey’s season 3. To answer the question though I would love to see her and Freddie play the parents.

Comment by Thereasonsy – January 6, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should just just continue with Buffy Season 8. I mean why not? So many people would watch that!! After all these years there is much Vampire Slaying to catch up on!!

Comment by Ivan Delgado – March 9, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boom

Comment by Ali – January 5, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddie Prinze Jr. should play her husband. The show should be called ‘I Know What We Did Nine Months Ago’. That would would be interesting. Relish the 90′s nostalgia.

Comment by Katie – January 5, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My name is Royce and I approve this message.

Comment by Royce Mitchell Aguila – January 5, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Comment by lisa – January 5, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great idea. They suit each other plus keeps family together.

Comment by tara17 – January 5, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • love this idea

Comment by rebecca – January 5, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lauren – January 5, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt she’ll let him out of whatever cage she has him in.

Comment by Keenan – January 5, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read this comment then went to go eat dinner thought about it the whole time I was eating. Then decide to come back and find this again Jessica say how awesome that comment was. I would watch that show religiously!

Comment by Hyde – January 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol love it!

Comment by Bre – January 5, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah because when i think “funny” i think SMG and FPJ

Comment by Eli – January 5, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha. Cute suggestion!

Comment by Angela – January 6, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch that show!

Comment by dlraetz – January 7, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love it. Perfect. I’d watch.

Comment by Meghan – January 7, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “TBS’ short-lived comedy Men at Work.”
    It was renewed, wasn´t it?

Comment by P. S. Shawn (@serialykinemask) – January 5, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Story has been fixed. Saturday brain!

Comment by Michael Ausiello – January 5, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a weak Buffy connection, only used for whoring page views. Pathetic, Aus, pathetic. You are better than this.

Comment by Zeb – January 5, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well we all know that Aus will whore himself for views. haha

Comment by Midori004 – January 5, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Men at Work got 10 more episodes…

Comment by Lindsey – January 5, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddy should play her husband. The acting will be uncanny. lol

Comment by Royce Mitchell Aguila – January 5, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer was good, they should have given it some more time.

Comment by scorpionglow – January 5, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I really liked Ringer. Love SMG though and am looking forward to this new project.

Comment by Laura – January 5, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not much of a Buffy connection. Maybe if the husband was played by James Marsters, Nicholas Brenden, or even Alexis dennisov then I could buy it

Comment by Ray – January 5, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah or with Emma Caulfield or any of the trio like Tom Lenk playing one of her neighbors or something.

Comment by Mary – January 5, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hope it was Sarah Michelle Gellar books major role on Joss Whedon S.H.I.E.L.D series..BOOO

Comment by gary – January 5, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I wish SMG would join SHIELD!! She could be Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel. And to those who think she can’t do comedy, she hosted SNL a few times and was hilarious.

Comment by Mikael – January 8, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if all else fails for her, maybe she can sign on for the online revival of All My Children and play Kendall Hart again, a role she first got started in. P.S. I would rather see Alicia Minshew play Kendall again but if Sarah can’t work maybe this would be her best option.

Comment by Scottyb – January 5, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awful journalism. What a terrible headline.

Embarrassing, Michael.

Comment by Bob – January 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t really criticize it from a journalism standpoint (and I say that as a journalism student). First of all, is this really journalism? Second of all, the headline was intended to draw in viewers and it succeeded. From a business standpoint, this is a success. Misleading? Yes but successful in its misdirection.

Comment by dude – January 5, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As a working journalist that also designs pages and writes headlines, I can say this wasn’t poor journalism. It’s just poor layout. The headline was almost completely misleading and a good editor/designer would never have used it.

Comment by Emily – January 5, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddie Prinze Jr should play her hubby. :D

Comment by Lauren – January 5, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a no-brainer that she can do comedy, and I hope they can hammer out a script worthy of what we Buffy fans have come to expect from her work. Ringer bombed, in my opinion, because it took itself far too seriously.

I hope the networks are keen to see this!

Comment by TV Gord – January 5, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicholas Brendon without question.

Comment by Brian – January 5, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still pissed about Ringer…

Comment by Ulose – January 5, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boucher’s track record doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence, so I’m not sure of this. SMG deserves only the best for the work she did on Buffy; she was already saddled with one mediocre show, I’d hate to see her saddled with another.

Comment by Superhero – January 5, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure she can do comedy, but I’ll check it out, it becomes a series. I still miss Ringer; it got crazy at the end, but damn Sarah nailed those dual roles. She made me forget Buffy in an instant.

Comment by Amber Andersen – January 5, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think if the show has decent writers she’ll be great at comedy. I found her very funny in Buffy. Now that I think about it that doesn’t sound like a compliment, really, but I swear it is!

Comment by Kristina – January 5, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes but single-camera drama and multi-camera comedy are two different things. I’ve seen plenty of actresses who are really funny delivering the odd witty remark in an hour drama fall on their ass when it comes to being “sit com funny.” It takes a special personality to pull of.

Comment by dude – January 5, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the Buffy connection, exactly?!

Comment by Maria – January 5, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her more doing drama. Ringer wasn’t perfect but it was fun (I still miss it… Ringer and TSC) and I was glad to see Sarah Michelle playing two characters. Anyway, I’ll still be watching it if it gets picked up by any network

Comment by Nerdbot – January 5, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What will I have to do to get SMG to star non the next season of American Horror Story…

Comment by Rrrrrr – January 5, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Somehow convince her that it’s worthwhile to leave her new baby for the longer hours that working on an hour long drama would require because I think if she were interested, Ryan Murphy would be willing to work with her. Considering she didn’t work much at all after her oldest was born, I don’t think you’ll be very successful though.

Comment by JLK – January 6, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AHS only films for like 5 months out of the year. Its one-story-a-season dynamic means she’d only have to be on one season with no further commitments. However, a muti-cam sitcom requires her to be filming throughout the whole broadcast year, since multi-cam episodes are filmed within about a week of their actual air date. So it is WAY more reasonable to assume that, if her family life was the case, she’d choose a small-season small-schedule show like AHS over a multi-cam any day.

Comment by Lias Tabian – January 6, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she should be in a same-sex marriage with Amber Benson, who probably wouldn’t have time for a series, though. Oh well, back to my murder-msytery screenpaly.

Comment by DaddyCatALSO – January 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think I’ve seen much of Amber Benson lately. I think the last time I saw her, she was getting ganked on Supernatural.

Comment by Informant – January 5, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well looks like she won’t be going back to The CW again.

Comment by Fabian – January 5, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Be glad she escaped their clutches. They hold onto their talent for dear life. Katie Cassidy has been plotting her escape for years.

Comment by dude – January 5, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s more accurate to say that no other network except the teeny bopper CW wants Kate Cassidy.

Comment by Mary – January 5, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David boreanaz or Ryan phillippe would be nice!

Comment by jen sippie – January 5, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • O yes! agree tottaly 100%:)..imagine good sitcom with Sarah and Ryan Phillippe?:))))

Comment by jason – January 8, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I didnt read it right, should it say it is about the hijinks the parents get up to when the kids are NOT at home??

Comment by 3dhouse – January 5, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think a half hr comedy sitcom is an appropriate audience for her. Yes Buffy had a clever comedic side but she is best suited for drama. Wish she would push for a second chance at Ringer.

Comment by Michelle – January 5, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What Buffy connection is there? I fail to see one. At all.

Comment by John DeMayo – January 5, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go back and read the story again. When you see the word, “Buffy”, you’re close.

Comment by TV Gord – January 5, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What, that 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy) is developing this new show? That’s not a connection. Ausiello is reaching, at best. Just because an actor is working with a studio they’ve worked with before doesn’t mean that there is a “connection” to their previous project there. They just have a good relationship with said studio.

Comment by John DeMayo – January 5, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, the producers of her new show produce How I Met Your Mother which stars Alison Hannigan who of course played Willow.

Comment by Colleen – January 6, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to see SMG land in TV again, but I was really really hoping she’d be the titular mother in How I Met Your Mother. (She’s likable enough for it to be well-received, but not too big of a star for it to distract from the show, plus the show has a lot of ties to Buffy, why not Buffy herself?)

Comment by Adam – January 5, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome!

Comment by Laura – January 5, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! This would be awesome and very nice to watch her with Alyson again. Producers from HIMYM take note, and would be great if she came back to do movies too.

Comment by Fernando – January 5, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg yes! Perfect!

Comment by amandareynolds – January 5, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I always thought that’s where we were headed…

Comment by JLK – January 6, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I’ve been praying that SMG would be the mother for YEARS. She’s got just enough star power, she’s got the Buffy tie to the cast, she (used) to be hysterical off of Alyson and she’s got that front porch vibe Lily wanted

Comment by dlraetz – January 7, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the most ‘desperate for page views’ headline in the history of the Internet. Congrats!

Comment by Joe – January 5, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That a bit of an exaggeration.

Comment by dude – January 5, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddie Prinze Jr should play the Hubby. Would be amazing and such a good fit. He proved he has comedic chops with Friends. So he should do it.

Comment by shuayb – January 5, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gellar would play the wife/mother.

this made my heart skip a beat!!!!! cuz there arnt just buffy connections, there is also a himym connection!!!

Comment by rush – January 5, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her. I really like her but I thought she would go for dramedy this time not sitcom. Hope they cast some good actor as her husband. Not her real husband, that’s why I wrote ‘good’.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 5, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still craving for her to guest star on The Big Bang Theory as herself (imagine all the guys dying to hit on “Buffy”, something like Summer Glau did)., but this is great, i really wanted for her to do some comedy, something way different from what she has done before.

Comment by Justme – January 5, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see the boys being followers of a vampire show.

Comment by Mary – January 6, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The boys would have followed Buffy. All the cool Geeks did! Besides it’s a comic book now :-)

Comment by dlraetz – January 7, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Buffy connection is that 20th century fox is creating it, same people as Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Ringer wasn’t 20th century fox!

Comment by Lee-Loi Chieng (@LeeLoiChieng) – January 5, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, the connection is only through 20th Century Fox? By that logic it has as much in common with Modern Family as it does Buffy. Also, what is this website’s fascination with Sarah Michelle Gellar? She’s a has-been actress that accidentally hit it big with one project a decade and a half ago. Maybe it’s time to move on, TV Line…

Comment by SJ – January 5, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you not like SMG? You must have not liked Buffy the way everyone else did. Her role as Buffy is forever as iconic as the cast of Friends. But Sarah Michelle Gellar is more popular world wide I think then over in the US. Buffy was incredibly popular in the UK & Ireland and was so popular on the BBC they used to have “Buffy nite” Then again I’m just biased! :D

Comment by Lee-Loi Chieng (@LeeLoiChieng) – January 5, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Lee-Loi. Avid South African fan of all things in the Whedonverse!

Comment by Modesty – January 6, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Finally more SMG. Maybe David Schwimmer as the husband?

Comment by Adam Cellar – January 5, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God no. I’ve never liked him.

Comment by JLK – January 6, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool love smg in her movie on buffy and ringer . Now a comedy smg can be funny . i don’t know if it will get picked up all wait til i hear more.

Comment by Kate – January 5, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If u don’t like smg why read about her projects simply skip reading and fans want smg back. and thine knows this have a whole group of smg fans who want ringer back.

Comment by Kate – January 5, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Suppose to be tvline know smg fans want her back stupid auto correct.

Comment by Kate – January 5, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMG and comedy? Um…. no.

Comment by Temperence – January 5, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhm… Buffy was deadpan comedy most of the time. Or do you need a laugh track?

Comment by Modesty – January 6, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMG needs to be in the all-ladies version of the Expendables movie

Comment by mia – January 5, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddie should be the hubby, they’ll be a very fit couple on TV too. He plays comedian very well.

Comment by Dianna – January 5, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Stamos.

Comment by Tami – January 5, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Ringer season 2!

Comment by Frank – January 5, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Buffy and SMG. Don’t know if she can do comedy, but she’s an actress after all. Would like to see Freddy Prinze Jr. As her husband.

Comment by Truefan – January 5, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stiff, uptight Sarah Michelle Gellar in a comedy? I’ll believe it when I see it. She not quite the draw she thinks she is.

Comment by Cathy – January 5, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to the big movie career, Bhuffi?

Comment by Miffy – January 5, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What happened is that she’s a limited actress who was lucky enough to get cast in a cult series, but has no appeal beyond that series.

Comment by Jeff – January 5, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or it could just be that she has a family now and is looking for something that has regular hours and doesn’t require travel. Nah…that’s too logical…and prevents you from the drive-by trashing you were craving.

Comment by JLK – January 6, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I learnt exclusively that you’re a bunch of hacks who write misleading headlines for clicks.

Comment by Tony – January 5, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would love to see SMG back on my screen, but really? did not see the connection with Buffy!!

Comment by onlyakb – January 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 20th Century Fox TV developed Buffy and they’re developing this new show, that’s the connection

Comment by Mary – January 6, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that I thought about it, either Josh Hartnett or Wes Bentley should play the husband.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 5, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news! I hope it happens this time everything right, Sarah deserves, she is very talented! =) Freddie as her husband would be a dream .. but I thought Jack Black they are funny together, it would be fun!
    ps: miss Ringer, missed this show so much!

Comment by Carol Mendes – January 5, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post