Exclusive

Exclusive: Sarah Michelle Gellar Plotting TV Return – and There's a Buffy Connection!

smgSarah Michelle Gellar may be back on the small screen next fall as the star of a new half-hour comedy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The potential (and currently untitled) series, which is being developed at 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), chronicles the hijinks parents get into while their kids are not at home.

Gellar would play the wife/mother.

PHOTOS | Pilot Season Preview: The 36 Most Wanted Actors and Actresses

The actress — who attempted a TV comeback last year with The CW’s now-cancelled Ringer — became interested in the project after reading the Shepard Boucher-penned spec script. (Boucher’s credits include serving as a staff writer on the TBS comedy Men at Work.)

The project will be shopped to the major networks in the coming weeks.

RENEWAL SCORECARD | What Will Return Next Season? What Will Be Cancelled?

David Hemingson (How I Met Your Mother, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) and Margaret Riley (Love and Other Drugs) are attached as exec producers.

A 20th rep declined to comment for this story.

Thoughts? Excited to see Gellar take a stab at a sitcom? Thoughts on who could/should play her TV hubby? Hit the comments!

1. Houman Sadri says:

…a very, very, very tenuous Buffy connection.

• Eli says:

This. I kinda want to flip off tv line for this :(

• Smigglesby says:

Totally. I was thinking she’d be working with a former castmember or writer or SOMETHING, not simply that the series is being made at FOX.

TVLINE is the worst at headlines ever – what they call a shocking twist is usually a simple plot development. Excessive hyperbole.

• Princess Adora says:

I’m almost in agreement. While my thoughts were “Seriously? That’s your connection?”, you have to admit, they got us to read the article didn’t they?! TV Line: 1, All of us: 0

• DreamRose311 says:

I dunno, I was gonna read the article anyway to find out what kind of show she would be on. The Buffy Connection line was just cruel… a… cruel intention? Sorry.. .sorry…

• Ari says:

I would have read the article regardless. I was hoping the connection was that this was another show set in the realm of the supernatural.

• Yeah … that was stretching it.

I was hoping the connection would be through Joss, or one of the other Buffyverse writers.

• Thereasonsy says:

This is the kind of crap that I stopped reading EW over. I’m sick of this misleading headline. SMG is big enough to make a headline on her own. Especially because some people liked Ringer. It ish like this though that also backfires and spoils Downton Abbey’s season 3. To answer the question though I would love to see her and Freddie play the parents.

• Ivan Delgado says:

They should just just continue with Buffy Season 8. I mean why not? So many people would watch that!! After all these years there is much Vampire Slaying to catch up on!!

2. Katie says:

Freddie Prinze Jr. should play her husband. The show should be called ‘I Know What We Did Nine Months Ago’. That would would be interesting. Relish the 90′s nostalgia.

3. “TBS’ short-lived comedy Men at Work.”
    It was renewed, wasn´t it?

4. Zeb says:

That’s a weak Buffy connection, only used for whoring page views. Pathetic, Aus, pathetic. You are better than this.

5. Lindsey says:

I thought Men at Work got 10 more episodes…

6. Freddy should play her husband. The acting will be uncanny. lol

7. scorpionglow says:

Ringer was good, they should have given it some more time.

8. Ray says:

Not much of a Buffy connection. Maybe if the husband was played by James Marsters, Nicholas Brenden, or even Alexis dennisov then I could buy it

9. gary says:

I was really hope it was Sarah Michelle Gellar books major role on Joss Whedon S.H.I.E.L.D series..BOOO

• Mikael says:

Oh I wish SMG would join SHIELD!! She could be Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel. And to those who think she can’t do comedy, she hosted SNL a few times and was hilarious.

10. Scottyb says:

Well if all else fails for her, maybe she can sign on for the online revival of All My Children and play Kendall Hart again, a role she first got started in. P.S. I would rather see Alicia Minshew play Kendall again but if Sarah can’t work maybe this would be her best option.

11. Bob says:

That’s awful journalism. What a terrible headline.

Embarrassing, Michael.

• dude says:

I wouldn’t really criticize it from a journalism standpoint (and I say that as a journalism student). First of all, is this really journalism? Second of all, the headline was intended to draw in viewers and it succeeded. From a business standpoint, this is a success. Misleading? Yes but successful in its misdirection.

• Emily says:

As a working journalist that also designs pages and writes headlines, I can say this wasn’t poor journalism. It’s just poor layout. The headline was almost completely misleading and a good editor/designer would never have used it.

12. Lauren says:

Freddie Prinze Jr should play her hubby. :D

13. TV Gord says:

It’s a no-brainer that she can do comedy, and I hope they can hammer out a script worthy of what we Buffy fans have come to expect from her work. Ringer bombed, in my opinion, because it took itself far too seriously.

I hope the networks are keen to see this!

14. Brian says:

Nicholas Brendon without question.

15. Ulose says:

Still pissed about Ringer…

16. Superhero says:

Boucher’s track record doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence, so I’m not sure of this. SMG deserves only the best for the work she did on Buffy; she was already saddled with one mediocre show, I’d hate to see her saddled with another.

17. I’m not sure she can do comedy, but I’ll check it out, it becomes a series. I still miss Ringer; it got crazy at the end, but damn Sarah nailed those dual roles. She made me forget Buffy in an instant.

• Kristina says:

I think if the show has decent writers she’ll be great at comedy. I found her very funny in Buffy. Now that I think about it that doesn’t sound like a compliment, really, but I swear it is!

• dude says:

Yes but single-camera drama and multi-camera comedy are two different things. I’ve seen plenty of actresses who are really funny delivering the odd witty remark in an hour drama fall on their ass when it comes to being “sit com funny.” It takes a special personality to pull of.

18. Maria says:

Where is the Buffy connection, exactly?!

19. Nerdbot says:

I like her more doing drama. Ringer wasn’t perfect but it was fun (I still miss it… Ringer and TSC) and I was glad to see Sarah Michelle playing two characters. Anyway, I’ll still be watching it if it gets picked up by any network

20. Rrrrrr says:

What will I have to do to get SMG to star non the next season of American Horror Story…

• JLK says:

Somehow convince her that it’s worthwhile to leave her new baby for the longer hours that working on an hour long drama would require because I think if she were interested, Ryan Murphy would be willing to work with her. Considering she didn’t work much at all after her oldest was born, I don’t think you’ll be very successful though.

• Lias Tabian says:

AHS only films for like 5 months out of the year. Its one-story-a-season dynamic means she’d only have to be on one season with no further commitments. However, a muti-cam sitcom requires her to be filming throughout the whole broadcast year, since multi-cam episodes are filmed within about a week of their actual air date. So it is WAY more reasonable to assume that, if her family life was the case, she’d choose a small-season small-schedule show like AHS over a multi-cam any day.

21. DaddyCatALSO says:

I think she should be in a same-sex marriage with Amber Benson, who probably wouldn’t have time for a series, though. Oh well, back to my murder-msytery screenpaly.

• Informant says:

I don’t think I’ve seen much of Amber Benson lately. I think the last time I saw her, she was getting ganked on Supernatural.

22. Fabian says:

Well looks like she won’t be going back to The CW again.

• dude says:

Be glad she escaped their clutches. They hold onto their talent for dear life. Katie Cassidy has been plotting her escape for years.

23. jen sippie says:

David boreanaz or Ryan phillippe would be nice!

24. 3dhouse says:

Maybe I didnt read it right, should it say it is about the hijinks the parents get up to when the kids are NOT at home??

25. Michelle says:

I don’t think a half hr comedy sitcom is an appropriate audience for her. Yes Buffy had a clever comedic side but she is best suited for drama. Wish she would push for a second chance at Ringer.

26. John DeMayo says:

What Buffy connection is there? I fail to see one. At all.

• TV Gord says:

Go back and read the story again. When you see the word, “Buffy”, you’re close.

• John DeMayo says:

What, that 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy) is developing this new show? That’s not a connection. Ausiello is reaching, at best. Just because an actor is working with a studio they’ve worked with before doesn’t mean that there is a “connection” to their previous project there. They just have a good relationship with said studio.

• Colleen says:

Also, the producers of her new show produce How I Met Your Mother which stars Alison Hannigan who of course played Willow.

27. Adam says:

I’m happy to see SMG land in TV again, but I was really really hoping she’d be the titular mother in How I Met Your Mother. (She’s likable enough for it to be well-received, but not too big of a star for it to distract from the show, plus the show has a lot of ties to Buffy, why not Buffy herself?)

28. Joe says:

This is the most ‘desperate for page views’ headline in the history of the Internet. Congrats!

29. shuayb says:

Freddie Prinze Jr should play the Hubby. Would be amazing and such a good fit. He proved he has comedic chops with Friends. So he should do it.

30. rush says:

Gellar would play the wife/mother.

this made my heart skip a beat!!!!! cuz there arnt just buffy connections, there is also a himym connection!!!

31. Jinjeon says:

Good for her. I really like her but I thought she would go for dramedy this time not sitcom. Hope they cast some good actor as her husband. Not her real husband, that’s why I wrote ‘good’.

32. Justme says:

I’m still craving for her to guest star on The Big Bang Theory as herself (imagine all the guys dying to hit on “Buffy”, something like Summer Glau did)., but this is great, i really wanted for her to do some comedy, something way different from what she has done before.

33. The Buffy connection is that 20th century fox is creating it, same people as Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Ringer wasn’t 20th century fox!

34. SJ says:

Wow, the connection is only through 20th Century Fox? By that logic it has as much in common with Modern Family as it does Buffy. Also, what is this website’s fascination with Sarah Michelle Gellar? She’s a has-been actress that accidentally hit it big with one project a decade and a half ago. Maybe it’s time to move on, TV Line…

• How do you not like SMG? You must have not liked Buffy the way everyone else did. Her role as Buffy is forever as iconic as the cast of Friends. But Sarah Michelle Gellar is more popular world wide I think then over in the US. Buffy was incredibly popular in the UK & Ireland and was so popular on the BBC they used to have “Buffy nite” Then again I’m just biased! :D

35. Adam Cellar says:

Yes! Finally more SMG. Maybe David Schwimmer as the husband?

36. Kate says:

Cool love smg in her movie on buffy and ringer . Now a comedy smg can be funny . i don’t know if it will get picked up all wait til i hear more.

37. Kate says:

If u don’t like smg why read about her projects simply skip reading and fans want smg back. and thine knows this have a whole group of smg fans who want ringer back.

38. Temperence says:

SMG and comedy? Um…. no.

39. mia says:

SMG needs to be in the all-ladies version of the Expendables movie

40. Dianna says:

Freddie should be the hubby, they’ll be a very fit couple on TV too. He plays comedian very well.

41. Tami says:

John Stamos.

42. Frank says:

I need Ringer season 2!

43. Truefan says:

Loved Buffy and SMG. Don’t know if she can do comedy, but she’s an actress after all. Would like to see Freddy Prinze Jr. As her husband.

44. Cathy says:

Stiff, uptight Sarah Michelle Gellar in a comedy? I’ll believe it when I see it. She not quite the draw she thinks she is.

45. Miffy says:

What happened to the big movie career, Bhuffi?

• Jeff says:

What happened is that she’s a limited actress who was lucky enough to get cast in a cult series, but has no appeal beyond that series.

• JLK says:

Or it could just be that she has a family now and is looking for something that has regular hours and doesn’t require travel. Nah…that’s too logical…and prevents you from the drive-by trashing you were craving.

46. Tony says:

I learnt exclusively that you’re a bunch of hacks who write misleading headlines for clicks.

47. onlyakb says:

would love to see SMG back on my screen, but really? did not see the connection with Buffy!!

48. Jinjeon says:

Now that I thought about it, either Josh Hartnett or Wes Bentley should play the husband.

49. Carol Mendes says:

great news! I hope it happens this time everything right, Sarah deserves, she is very talented! =) Freddie as her husband would be a dream .. but I thought Jack Black they are funny together, it would be fun!
    ps: miss Ringer, missed this show so much!